Menu

I've misprononuced Apologia for years and just found out.

While listening to the Teaching the Classics dvd, Mr. Andrews mentioned something being his 'apologia'. Hoping HE had it wrong (foolish thought), I ran to look it up. Yep, for years I've had it wrong. It doesn't sound like apology or apologist. Probably all you guys have it right....but I'm just sharing what I found out. :blushing:

This is too funny.

About a year ago I was at a book sale and was discussing Apologia books with a friend. I hadn't ever said it aloud I guess, but I went with what you all are saying is the correct pronunciation--good for me, right? Well, a woman in the aisle with us promptly corrected me in a not-so-subtle way with "We've been using Apolo-GEE-a for years" with extra emphasis on the word to be sure I got that I had said it wrong earlier. Point taken. I felt dumb but still felt the emphasis on "gee" sounded funny.

So to read this conversation tonight makes me think "HEY!! I was right that day in the book store aisle!" :tongue_smilie: Who knew?! Apple-OH-gia it is!

Thanks ladies!

I think this may be a case where the public pronunciation of the product will have to remain appropriate also. I have never heard anyone call it by the correct name. So, if everyone calls it 'appolo gia' then that will have to stand as an alternate correct form. :D

Well, it's helpful to know that my homeschooling friends weren't just kindly overlooking my goof. Like you, I've always heard it pronounced that way and assumed it might be a regional issue. When ordering, sales rep always just repeat what I say...I wouldn't correct a customer either. Oh well, I think I'll embrace the new way of saying apologia....or maybe I'll avoid it altogether like the words lay and lie. After all, I'm just a larva....there's time to figure it all out.:001_unsure:

My sister-in-law made an interesting point one day...French is her native language and I asked her how she pronounced her newborn daughter's name. She said that when she is speaking English she pronounces it as English-speaking people would, and when speaking French she pronounces it with the appropriate sounds in French.

Take the name Michelle, for example. If she was speaking to a person in English she would say, "Mu-SHELL", but in French it would be more like, "ME-shell".

That makes sense to me!

Chelle

My sister-in-law made an interesting point one day...French is her native language and I asked her how she pronounced her newborn daughter's name. She said that when she is speaking English she pronounces it as English-speaking people would, and when speaking French she pronounces it with the appropriate sounds in French.

Take the name Michelle, for example. If she was speaking to a person in English she would say, "Mu-SHELL", but in French it would be more like, "ME-shell".

That makes sense to me!

Chelle

On the other hand, my german teacher in college always told me that names don't translate (maybe he meant they shouldn't translate). My SIL is from Spain so we'll be trying to pronounce my niece's names correctly. First one is easy, "Ahn-dray-a" spelled Andrea. My new niece's name is spelled "Patricia" but is pronounced "Pah-tree-thia" as they would in Spain. I like it a lot and make a point to say it properly...I'm sure they'll have to make some concessions though for their sanity since they live in the States and nobody will ever read it right here.

:0)

Angela

That makes sense to me!

Chelle

But but but - isn't the French way the only way? Like in the Beatles song?

But, the science textbook company by that name pronounces it the "wrong" way. So pronouncing it wrong is really right. :-)

Lizzy Bee is correct.

The science textbook company pronounces it apollo-GEE-uh. I was thinking I had confirmed that a few years ago, but I wasn't 100% positive. So I just called them and that is the way they answered the phone.

So you all were putting the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLAble? I would have guessed that if the way most of you were saying it (apology-uh) was wrong that the only other possibility would have been a hard g instead of a soft g. Except now I see that everyone I've ever heard say the word loggia (which I don't think is related, just the word I thought of) is also mispronouncing it and that should also be a soft g. But wait, the dictionary says the "log" part is from the Greek "logos" which is pronounced with a hard g. :001_huh:

:iagree: Yep. I may be off with my dialect, but I'm consistent. Add a little southern and anything sounds good.:001_smile:

Lizzy Bee is correct.

The science textbook company pronounces it apollo-GEE-uh. I was thinking I had confirmed that a few years ago, but I wasn't 100% positive. So I just called them and that is the way they answered the phone.

So you all were putting the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLAble? I would have guessed that if the way most of you were saying it (apology-uh) was wrong that the only other possibility would have been a hard g instead of a soft g. Except now I see that everyone I've ever heard say the word loggia (which I don't think is related, just the word I thought of) is also mispronouncing it and that should also be a soft g. But wait, the dictionary says the "log" part is from the Greek "logos" which is pronounced with a hard g. :001_huh:

It seems to me that Abbey has pointed out that it should be a hard *g* in the past. Abbey?

While listening to the Teaching the Classics dvd, Mr. Andrews mentioned something being his 'apologia'. Hoping HE had it wrong (foolish thought), I ran to look it up. Yep, for years I've had it wrong. It doesn't sound like apology or apologist. Probably all you guys have it right....but I'm just sharing what I found out. :blushing:

As others pointed out, you haven't had it wrong in that Apologia, the textbook company, itself pronounces the word "apollo-GEE-uh" (soft letter "g"). I could care less whether or not that's the "right" classical pronunciation. It's the name of the company, and it's the way I say the name of their products. Someone who does otherwise, imo, sounds rather hoity-toity because they are essentially making a statement that they have it "right" while the company has it "wrong". If you're using the word in another context (unrelated to the company), that's different ball o' wax.

I would also just like to say that it is very hard for me to say primer (as in The Prairie Primer) with a short "i". Hey, this is a construction family. We know about primers with the long "i".

Ditto! And I'm not from a construction family- though we're handy enough to know what primer is. :) I had a real hard time listening to the MUS demo tape with him saying "primer" with a short I. Huh? That's not right?? :001_huh:

I agree. I heard Andrew Pudewa speak at convention two years ago, and he clearly said apollo-GEE-uh several times relating to his product. I followed him around listening, to see how he said it, because I was curious. He didn't directly address the topic of how to pronounce it, but he said apollo-GEE-uh, both from the podium, and standing around at his table.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :)

As others pointed out, you haven't had it wrong in that Apologia, the textbook company, itself pronounces the word "apollo-GEE-uh" (soft letter "g"). I could care less whether or not that's the "right" classical pronunciation. It's the name of the company, and it's the way I say the name of their products. Someone who does otherwise, imo, sounds rather hoity-toity because they are essentially making a statement that they have it "right" while the company has it "wrong". If you're using the word in another context (unrelated to the company), that's different ball o' wax.

:iagree:

I like the book Carpe Diem, which has the funniest (but not rated G) passage about people who pronounce things hyper-correctly. Let's just say the author is not very complementary about them...

Mr. Andrews doesn't speak everyman's English. :D No, really, he's brilliant, but my kids giggle at his pronounciation on the poetry memorization CD, and his accent helps me focus when listening to his lectures. I'm not sure what region he's from (Carolinas?) but it's certainly okay to pronounce things differently in different places. Whenever I hear it pronounced the Southern way, I think, "apple oh gee-whiz" and giggle. My northern and western apologist friends have never said that.

Yes, it's like apple-OH-gee-ah. The stress is on the third syllable, not on the second and fourth. Sigh. I even taught a coop class using the wrong pronounciation. Lesson learned. When in doubt....look it up.

So it's accenting the 3 to the last vowel, as in the Latin habit? Makes sense. Now I, too, can sound educated. Thanks

I would also just like to say that it is very hard for me to say primer (as in The Prairie Primer) with a short "i". Hey, this is a construction family. We know about primers with the long "i".

Okay - you mean that it's NOT a long I?? I've never heard anyone say it, but anytime I saw it written, I assumed it was primer-with-a-long-i .... ! :001_huh:

See though, I have never heard the word pronounced as ANTHING other than apple-oh-gia. So I assumed that the textbook company pronounced it that way.

Seriously. I have NEVER heard anyone say that apologee-a thing! Weird.

So, I am not hoity-toity, I just assume my way is how everyone says it!

People would have to assume I'm hoity-toity, then. Or take some time to get to know me and realize I'm not. Because Uh-pol-uh-GEE-uh isn't going to come out of my mouth, no matter how much the company says it that way. :D

Then again, I won't mispronounce "forte" or "err," either. And I'm certain that when I used the nominative pronoun after a linking verb in my neck of the woods, I'm considered "uppity." But that's ok with me. I'm pretty far from that, actually.

:iagree:

I like the book Carpe Diem, which has the funniest (but not rated G) passage about people who pronounce things hyper-correctly. Let's just say the author is not very complementary about them...

It's actually almost physically painful to me to pronounce something incorrectly if I know the correct way. I have TONS of stuff I say wrong, but if I know it, I just *have* to say it right. Different strokes, I guess.

yep, me too. I can't see how people can stand to say it any other way. Wouldn't it grate on your nerves knowing that you were saying it incorrectly?

See, now that I *know* this about how the textbook company pronounces their own name, it would probably drive me past the point of being able to use their materials.

Yes, I know. Call me OCD. I don't deny it!

yep, me too. I can't see how people can stand to say it any other way. Wouldn't it grate on your nerves knowing that you were saying it incorrectly?

See, now that I *know* this about how the textbook company pronounces their own name, it would probably drive me past the point of being able to use their materials.

Yes, I know. Call me OCD. I don't deny it!

That's me, too, though I'm in no real danger of using the program. :D

I would kinda perversely think, "If they don't know how to pronounce this word, what else don't they know?" And that's an illogical thing to think. I FREELY and fully admit that. But there you have it. It is how I think.

And I do know that somewhere there is a padded room awaiting, with my name on the door.

Oh, how exciting! I tried to log on this morning and my server crashed before I could read that I've been branded as pretentious and, what was the word....hoity toity.:smilielol5:

Seriously, I just noticed an error in my own vocabulary and thought I'd share. I appreciate YOUR comments and don't feel the least bit defensive or angered by them. It's important to me to give my kids accurate information and they can choose whether or not to use it....just like we do. The world will keep right on spinning no matter how I pronounce a word. However, when my daughter discusses her literature study with her literary professor cousin, her math assignments with her math professor uncle, or any work with those in the education field, I want her to know the correct usage of words. Just following the crowd doesn't seem to me to be a great apologia for discerning how to use our language. If that's the case, we'll have to start leaving the t's off the end of words like didn't and wouldn't, and preface each sentence with "you know what I'm sayin?"

Seize the day!

BTW, thanks for the kind comments from those who were interested and looked it up. Have a great day!

Oh man, someone thought I was being defensive to all when I was only trying to address a couple of comments that said pronouncing it like I'd learned was pretentious. Thanks for the nice rep comment.....I was trying to be funny....sorry if it seemed I didn't notice or understand all the positives. My thanks for the positive comments were sincere, no sarcasm intended.

I showed this to my daughters and they thought it was hilarious. They said they'd probably choose to each pronounce it differently just to mess with my mind.

Okay - you mean that it's NOT a long I?? I've never heard anyone say it, but anytime I saw it written, I assumed it was primer-with-a-long-i .... ! :001_huh:

Primer with a long "i" is like paint primer--something used to prime a surface.

Primer with a short "i" is: "An elementary textbook for teaching children to read" or "A book that covers the basic elements of a subject." I can hardly bring myself to say it the second way out loud.