Menu

What are the first five islands you think of when you read...

gaillardia

Bermuda, Kauai or Maui, St. John (my favorite), Fiji, New Zealand

OK, it's snowing outside and I need to go out into it to get a few things I need for our fondue tonight.  Your question sent me to warm breezes, tropical flowers and salt air, sand between my toes, the toasty feel of a day in the sun, sundresses, drinks with little umbrellas....

Maybe you were not talking about so far away (although Bermuda is closer than you think).

I'm talking about a head hunter I use (I look for jobs for dh because I'm not satisfied :lol:) and I found a position that lists some of what is mentioned, as well as saying it is offshore. I tend to think of the islands that are not part of the U.S. but may be territories.

Plus, Sparkly Unicorn doesn't like the weather and she needs a beach party. :tongue_smilie:  :nopity:

I'm talking about a head hunter I use (I look for jobs for dh because I'm not satisfied :lol:) and I found a position that lists some of what is mentioned, as well as saying it is offshore. I tend to think of the islands that are not part of the U.S. but may be territories.

Plus, Sparkly Unicorn doesn't like the weather and she needs a beach party. :tongue_smilie:  :nopity:

Maybe Bermuda or Grand Cayman (or practically any of the "developed" Caribbean islands).  There are also some job opportunities in places like Trinidad (not that I've ever been looking myself... ;)  ).  Some of those places have a really large COL though, so salaries can be deceptive.

beautiful island, high standard of living and popular destination for U.S. tourists?

I have not been to any off shore islands and am only familiar with Outer Banks and the Keys.

Grand Cayman

St. John

Bermuda

St. Thomas

Bermuda

Caymans

British Virgin Islands

Certainly there are Pacific islands as well but they aren't the ones that come to my mind.

Ambergris (off Belize) was my first thought but the "high standard of living" would likely only refer to expats.

I assume you mean non-stateside destinations by the way you worded your question.

I immediately thought of Anguilla, and then I saw that you said in the u.s. Everyone else made excellent suggestions.

I'm sorry if I said in the U.S., I didn't necessarily mean IN the U.S., a job description stated that it was popular with U.S. tourists. To me that would have meant not U.S., but today we found out that it is Bermuda.

Now really, people, who can afford to live there? The rich and famous, which is not us. Even with a nice sounding salary, consider the size of home we need, still have four in the nest and two that come and go from college and mission, a little research shows what a bite it would be to move there.

Sheesh, who could complain about the weather unless it was a hurricane?

Let us continue to think of islands and blue clear water and for me a non-alcohol beverage with an umbrella in it and you can have your cabana boys, I'll take my dh :coolgleamA:

but today we found out that it is Bermuda.

Now really, people, who can afford to live there?

And this is the problem we've come across when looking at moving/working on nice islands.  Generally the salary is not high enough to actually live there... unless one gets a significant housing allowance from the company (can happen, but certainly doesn't always).

Bermuda is especially high since they are an island that restricts home ownership.

But it is fun to look - or watch the island/coastal versions of House Hunters International to see what costs are like.