Menu

Can't afford a vitamix, but I need a decent blender. Any ideas?

jenniferlee

I read somewhere that Consumer Reports rates a Ninja as well as a Vitamix.  I haven't read the article, and I have a Vitamix.

If you decide to go with a Ninja, BJ's Wholesale Club has a $30 off coupon from $160 for a Ninja.  You can join BJ's through Groupon for $35 and you will get a $25 gift cert back (I just did this yesterday, that's now I know).

I read somewhere that Consumer Reports rates a Ninja as well as a Vitamix.  I haven't read the article, and I have a Vitamix.

If you decide to go with a Ninja, BJ's Wholesale Club has a $30 off coupon from $160 for a Ninja.  You can join BJ's through Groupon for $35 and you will get a $25 gift cert back (I just did this yesterday, that's now I know).

My friend has a Ninja and there seems to be little it cannot do. I have an Oster. I think the motor power is the main difference. Ninjas are less expensive than Vitamix but have similar capacity.

I hate my Oster. So I got a Blendtec on sale at Christmas. There is no way that Oster (it is newer) could do vegetable smoothies. It is LOUD, it doesn't stay in place, and underneath, there are plastic shavings where it rubs. Also the plastic deal that screws into the jar is cracked.

I have a Ninja Master Prep.  I know technically it's a food processor, but I have to say I love it more than my Vitamix.  I've chopped veggies, nuts, etc, as well as made smoothies and dressings in it and I just love it.  It's so much easier to get the food out and to clean than the Vitamix.  

I've looked at the Vitamix for years, but I have the blender that came with my Bosch, and it does everything I actually need it to do. Before that I had a commercial Oster, which I bought at a fair, and that worked well, also. OTOH, I don't do things like make smoothies or crush ice into snow, so there you have it. :-)

Just for fun, I think I"ll look for the Brevill Hemisphere. Never heard of it before.

My first Ninja lasted for three years. I make a frozen fruit smoothie every day and one of the summers I made snow for snowcones almost every day and another of the summers I made milkshakes almost every day using the Hillbilly Housewife recipe (crushed ice and milk, no ice cream).

I'm on my second Ninja now after the motor finally gave out on my first.

This is the one that I bought both times, although I got mine at a discount at Kohl's.

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Professional-Blender-Chopper-Crusher/dp/B003O47MKA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388688315&sr=8-3&keywords=ninja+master+prep

I strip the leaves of the big kale ribs, although there are plenty of skinny kale ribs left. I always put about 2 cups of kale in each of my smoothies. It does take a little longer to make a smoothie with kale than it does to make a smoothie without kale, but it works very well.

When my 18yo is home from college, I make the same smoothie for her each night that I do for myself, except that I don't add kale to hers. I pulse the blender about twice as long for my smoothie with kale as I do for her smoothie without kale.

Well, stink. I never cared that mic about having a blender, even for free. But you MADE ME LOOK at the Vitamix and now I lust after a blender that cooks the soup as you blend it.

WOW

It is pretty cool!  Although I don't make soup in there very much any more.  That was one of the things that sold me on a Vitamix.  The demonstrator pointed out that you could have a hot soup in 10 minutes total time after being gone from home all day, coming back from picking up kids.  Since that happens all the time here, I was sold.

I own a Vitamix and have subscription to Consumer Reports and I read that as well, that the Ninja ranks right up there with the Vitamix.  

I own a Vitamix and have subscription to Consumer Reports and I read that as well, that the Ninja ranks right up there with the Vitamix.