Menu

How much do you pay for martial arts, and is it local?

amo_mea_filiis.

Dd needs an activity. There are 2 local martial arts school. The closest one is cheaper but I also wasn't impressed with the way the class was run. The other one isn't far at all but sounds expensive. I know martial arts is expensive.

If you don't mind sharing basic numbers, how much do you pay (or what would it be) for 1 child?

For just one it would be $85 a month. That does not include testing ($25 per test) or gear for sparring (anywhere from $80 on up depending on how much gear and what kind) or uniform ($70 for the basic white gi and belt). It does include 4 classes a week taught by a 2nd or 3rd degree black belt. 1st degrees help, but are never the lead instructor.

Also the price per person goes down the more people you have, at least at our school. I don't remember by how much, but it gets gradually less, and after so many our sensei just calls it a family rate and doesn't add any for additional children. It doesn't help us, but it is nice for large families.

I think ours is the exception rather than the rule.  We pay $50 per month for DS's aikido.  Group classes, 1 hour each, up to 3x per week.  Belt testing is every 2-4 months and is $25.  The classes are pretty small, which can be great, but sometimes there's so few kids (like Thursday night there was only DS and 2 other boys) that they quickly dissolve into goofing off.  Another reason for the very low price is because these classes are run completely by volunteers.  There is one sensei (sp?) who has trained for decades and has multiple black belts.  But other times, the classes are run by one of the black belt-candidate teenagers and thus are not as disciplined.  It's still lots of fun, though, and DS loves it.

Ours is local. It is $85 a month for up to 4 1-hour classes a week, $99 to get started (uniform, first month, belt), Sparring equipment is free to use. Only those who compete have their own. All weapons {wooden staffs, swords, etc.} are provided free for use. There is no long-term comittment. My son took a month off for an internship and came right back the next month.

Tests are $25 for beginning level, $50 for intermediate, and I think $75 for brown and black. Belt tests are done as you are ready. They will not tests until the Sensei already can see they will pass. Classes are held at 2 different times each night. My son's instructor {the owner} is a Grand Master black belt who still at age 55 competes and takes 1st in all his competions. I say this because the level of instruction will vary by dojo and by the experience of the people teaching. You might try out a free lesson or two and watch how the classes are run.

I was just looking in to thus and surprised at how expensive it is. The place near us that our neighbors go to is $89/month for a 1 hr per week group lesson. Doesn't include testing and you need to sign a 6 month contract!

I haven't shopped around since my neighbors love the place but that's too much for us. Hope you find a good, reasonable place!

We do family tae kwon do and it's about 5 miles from home.  I don't know what he cost would be for just one child.

For unlimited classes (up to 5 days per week, but we only go once per week) for 8 months I think I paid about $1,300 on some sort of special.  They just told me that I can join their "black belt club" that guarantees all of us as many classes as we want until we get our black belts, for about $3,000 more.  This will average out to between $5 and $10 per person per class.  This includes a couple of uniforms and sets of gear.  But we have to pay $55 per person for belt tests.

Our Aikido dojo charges $100/month which is actually cheap for this area.  There is a small registration fee to begin, but no contract.  We qualify for a family discount and an apprentice instructor discount.  Belts vary in cost, but start at $30.  Ours is a branch of one with international connections, and has been in existence for over a decade.  Instruction is always done by an adult with apprentice instructors helping.  In our area, most are $150-200/month for groups with established lineage and formal programs.  Drop-in and independent programs are cheaper, but we wanted a program they could stay with for many years and continue elsewhere if they wish.

So ask the hard questions if this is something you plan to stay with.

Martial arts and music are our two outside activities, and I have no regrets.  My oldest is a black belt (7 years of study), and it made a big difference in focus, discipline, and coordination.  He should be getting his hand-lettered certificate from Japan sometime in 2014 which will give him international certification.

Since there are only 2 local schools, I don't have much to compare.

The school I'm leaning towards is $100 per month and you can attend as many classes per week as you want. This school has another location about 20 minutes away that you can use on the off days of the local one.

Testing is about $40 up to black. Black is a huge deal and not done locally.

There is a 15% standard discount per person, so if all 3 of us joined, the 2nd would get 15% off and the 3rd would get 30% off.

There's a one time fee of $15 per person to the world tang soo do association, and the uniform which is about $45.

He's also willing to work with people who can't afford it. I'm not sure how much I can comfortably do, but I was thinking of showing him my income and bills and seeing what we can come up with.

Ds is getting big. I need some training so I continue to keep him and others safe as he gets bigger. Dd needs an active activity. She's very out of shape. So much so that she's in physical therapy. She also needs do learn the self control to disengage from ds when he has fights with himself. I also think it could be good for ds, but many classes run a little too late for him.

I pay $89 for one child. It is $99 if you aren't set up for automata bank draft. He can go up to 5 -1 hour classes a week. We usually manage to get to 3, because of distance and time. It is also $25 for a belt test. Seems like they have added the "striped" belt level since the days of doing this with my oldest, so the testing happens more often. I will admit it... I didn't want to pay $89 a month. I didn't really think it would be worth it. 4 months into this and I am in love with this karate place. This was the first thing my youngest has ever been in and he is thriving there. Worth every penny.

He's also willing to work with people who can't afford it. I'm not sure how much I can comfortably do, but I was thinking of showing him my income and bills and seeing what we can come up with.

Yes, at one point I basically bartered for several months of fees when money was tight.  I cleaned and did paperwork.  I'm also going to do a very basic website for them, and will probably get several months of fees for that.

It can't hurt to ask!

I pay $89 for one child. It is $99 if you aren't set up for automata bank draft. He can go up to 5 -1 hour classes a week. We usually manage to get to 3, because of distance and time. It is also $25 for a belt test. Seems like they have added the "striped" belt level since the days of doing this with my oldest, so the testing happens more often. I will admit it... I didn't want to pay $89 a month. I didn't really think it would be worth it. 4 months into this and I am in love with this karate place. This was the first thing my youngest has ever been in and he is thriving there. Worth every penny.

I'm sure it would be worth the money for us, I'm just not sure how much I squeeze out every month. I work with very small numbers each month.

If I could drop physical therapy for martial arts, that would put $25-$30 gas weekly back in the budget. I could only count that money if both kids are doing it.

If money is a factor do you have a YMCA in your area. A lot of times they have martial arts and scholarships for kids. My idles has been taking TKD for about 3 years and it has been so worth the money for us. Ours is around 105 for 2 classes a week. There are others in our area that are around 65 but they only meet once a week and their progress is a lot slower.

Being able to attend more than one class per week would make a big difference to me and that would be great if they were willing to work with you on price.

Op, this is absolutely none of my business and I don't usually step out on a limb with people I don't know....I say this just with curious concern, no judgement....if you are already worried about ds's behavior (and your safety) and the fact he's getting bigger, does it make sense to then train him to make him a stronger more effective fighter? I know people think one of the benefits is the self discipline and maybe that would be helpful. But, in exchange, he receives training in how to break out of holds and defend against an "attacker." Feel free to say thanks but no thanks for your opinion...but I just felt like I needed to put it out there.

Being able to attend more than one class per week would make a big difference to me and that would be great if they were willing to work with you on price.

Op, this is absolutely none of my business and I don't usually step out on a limb with people I don't know....I say this just with curious concern, no judgement....if you are already worried about ds's behavior (and your safety) and the fact he's getting bigger, does it make sense to then train him to make him a stronger more effective fighter? I know people think one of the benefits is the self discipline and maybe that would be helpful. But, in exchange, he receives training in how to break out of holds and defend against an "attacker." Feel free to say thanks but no thanks for your opinion...but I just felt like I needed to put it out there.

If ds joins, it would only be after a long discussion with the instructor. If he's able to understand ds's problems, maybe he could work with him a little differently. If he's training me to be able to safely pin ds, he shouldn't be training ds to get out of that pinning.

Again, loooooong discussion, and I'll see what happens.

Thanks for responding. I was just thinking of all the ways you could take my post....it's probably a bit condescending, like, hello? Don't you think I've thought of that?! I'm sorry.

I hope you are able to find an instructor that will be able to meet your family's specific needs. Best wishes to you.

We pay $80/month for two kids, which includes four hour-long classes each week.  We pay no extra for testing, but tournaments are out-of-pocket.  We do NAGA, which runs $100/event, and we do one of those per year. Those aren't required the first two belt colors (about two years). 

Our situation may be different, in that we've been a part of this school for seven years. He's never increased our cost, not even when my second child aged in and began to participate - we begged him to take more, but he wouldn't take our money. I have no idea what his going rate is, and no idea how to find out without asking the other parents. But I'm curious. LOL

I know he charges a monthly fee. One fee for up to two classes per week, and another fee for up to four classes per week. I know he has a family plan so that no family ever pays for more than two kids, or one kid and one adult. We have a number of families who do one parent, one kid. It's month-to-month, no contract.

Thanks for responding. I was just thinking of all the ways you could take my post....it's probably a bit condescending, like, hello? Don't you think I've thought of that?! I'm sorry.

I hope you are able to find an instructor that will be able to meet your family's specific needs. Best wishes to you.

Wouldn't take it bad at all. I'm constantly posting about ds's behavior issues and now I'm asking about martial arts! Lol.

I guess I'm hoping it's possible to get the good without the bad. Ds can't untie shoes because he gets so frustrated so quick, but if he could just breathe and stop for a second, he'd be able to do it. Yes, untying shoes can turn into a restraint necessary meltdown.

If the instructor even just works with ds to learn what frustrates him, maybe he can help teach ds to walk away or go slam some pillows. I was also thinking it could be a good physical outlet for ds.

My biggest goal for dd is to just stop engaging with ds. She does now, but inconsistently. I know it's hard as heck when ds is screaming about dd and dd wants to jump in and defend herself. That engaging escalates everything. When dd and I do not speak, ds seems to just be processing out loud, but then apologizes.

I've seen special needs kids including kids with autism in martial arts classes.  It's wonderful to see the way that the teachers work with these kids.  I have never heard of a child having more problems as a result of martial arts classes.  The martial arts classes don't make a child stronger, just help them to focus their energy better IMO. 

I have an autistic cousin and he was extremely strong/muscular at a young age, regardless of physical training.

The thing is, it sounds like your ds might require special, individual instruction, and that is unlikely to be cheap. Is there some other type of movement class, like dance, jump rope, gymnastics, ropes class, etc. that might provide similar physical and psychological benefits that would not enable your ds to get a physical advantage that might be dangerous for him and your whole family?

Also, and I don't mean to open a can of worms here, not all martial arts schools are created equal when it comes to self defense. Some focus more on the "traditional art" part and are very beautiful and flowing, but not as practical for take downs, restraints, or self defense. Others emphasize the "martial" part and are more oriented toward fighting (think MMA style). This certainly varies among the various styles of martial arts, but also varies from school to school, and even between instructors within a school.

I would suggest that you be very clear with the director of the school about how you intend to use the knowledge you would gain. No sense in spending lots of time learning a system that is not the right "tool" for the job you need done.

We live in a rural area, where on the good side, prices are usually low, but on the bad side, so are the salaries. Our martial arts classes cost $50 per month for 3 to 4 classes a week. Testing is $50 per test but students are not required to test unless they want to. There is a $35 one time sign up fee, which covers the cost of membership in the larger Association. Students pay for their own uniforms and the protective/training gear needed as they progress through the classes. There are no contracts and fees are paid on a month by month basis. The instructor is absolutely excellent. He also trains area SWAT personel, FBI personel and there are often a few LEO's taking the same classes that dd and I take. I think it is a great bargain and am thrilled to find such good instruction in our local area.

it sounds like you don't have a lot to choose from.  

here we have a lot of studios and styles.  for the better ones, price depends upon age.  as they get older, they pay a monthly fee ($70 - $90), and they can go to any of the classes for their belt/age level as the student wishes. (at least 3x per week if they want.)  the more classes they can potentially go to, the more they pay.  (I happened to like that particular dojo. well run, and knows what they're teaching. very professional.) One studio charges a six-month up front fee ($600), but will prorate refunds if you quit.  their lessons are weekly private.

it really does make a difference how the program is run, and are they teaching a straight, and specific, martial art, or a "mixture".   you do get what you pay for.

Wow, I guess my son's classes are expensive! We would have to pay $120/month to get more than 2 classes per week. However, testing and gear, etc. are included. The dojo is about 25 minutes away, which is a long drive but I guess I count it as local. The focus is on maintaining the tradition of the 100-year-old karate style, character training, and only slightly on self-defense. Some students opt for extra training in sparring, which seems mostly designed for tournament fighting.

Our sensei has worked wonders with some of the very impulsive kids who've started since we did, so I'd be hopeful that a skilled instructor could help your family with self control and self discipline too. Good luck!

The thing is, it sounds like your ds might require special, individual instruction, and that is unlikely to be cheap. Is there some other type of movement class, like dance, jump rope, gymnastics, ropes class, etc. that might provide similar physical and psychological benefits that would not enable your ds to get a physical advantage that might be dangerous for him and your whole family?

Also, and I don't mean to open a can of worms here, not all martial arts schools are created equal when it comes to self defense. Some focus more on the "traditional art" part and are very beautiful and flowing, but not as practical for take downs, restraints, or self defense. Others emphasize the "martial" part and are more oriented toward fighting (think MMA style). This certainly varies among the various styles of martial arts, but also varies from school to school, and even between instructors within a school.

I would suggest that you be very clear with the director of the school about how you intend to use the knowledge you would gain. No sense in spending lots of time learning a system that is not the right "tool" for the job you need done.

I spoke to this instructor about a year ago (I couldn't fit anything in the budget) and told him what my main purpose was. He asked if I wanted a few classes just to learn taking someone down, or if I wanted to train longer. I told him both. I need to learn new stuff quickly, but am in it for the long haul, which is why I waited.

We don't have any other options around here. I can't afford to travel 30+ minutes plus class fees. There's no gymnastics, no dance that he's interested in. The y doesn't have much, but I am joining.

Skl- one of my fears is making his shoulders and arms too strong for me. Right now, the quickest and safest way I can pin him is by dropping him on his back and quickly turning him to his belly (I do NOT hurt him). The problem is that if I fail to get his arms out to the side or above his head, he can lift me. I'm 150lbs! He's barely 70! Once he's strong enough to pull his arms in, I'm screwed without another hold. I don't want to ever hurt him.

Me being able to restrain him is vital to keeping us police free and him out of the hospital. His restraint needing rages are very short and thankfully infrequent right now. However, being able to safely pin him means that it will only last about 5-10 intense minutes and he'll fall asleep after. If I can't pin him and have to involve the police, it will escalate and he'll end up in the hospital where I'll be fighting with the drs over medications (he's reacted to many already).

I'm pretty good at judging situations and can deescalate him often before he gets aggressive, but I'm always prepared just in case.

My DD does To-Shin Do.  It costs us $40/mo., but because she is in the Jr class, she gets to participate in the adult class on Saturdays at no extra cost.  So she attends 2 classes/wk.

The class is run by a 3rd. degree black belt who is also a state police detective/tactical officer/SWAT officer/weapons instructor. He's actually a real sweet guy and great with the kids.  His assistant teacher is a border patrol dispatcher, 1st. degree black belt.

Are you working with a psych to help him get into touch with his emotions, so that he can go to his plan when his emotions start to rise, before the flare?

Not really. The psych just has nerf wars with him.

Right now the only plan we have is that I keep everyone safe when needed. None of our therapists have helped yet.

New evaluations and new therapists on the 18th. Still waiting to hear from BCBA about ABA and our insurance.

.if you are already worried about ds's behavior (and your safety) and the fact he's getting bigger, does it make sense to then train him to make him a stronger more effective fighter? I know people think one of the benefits is the self discipline and maybe that would be helpful. But, in exchange, he receives training in how to break out of holds and defend against an "attacker."

. The martial arts classes don't make a child stronger, just help them to focus their energy better IMO.

Just to clarify, I don't mean stronger like the child can do crazy bench presses or something. I mean stronger as in, they are learning to get more of their body weight into the punches/kicks making them, in effect, stronger punches. Kind of like a baseball player who throws harder when they learn to use their whole body instead of just their arm. If someone was taking martial arts (aside from tai chi) and not learning to be a stronger, more effective fighter I would think the training was lacking.

But, I'm glad to hear that you've seen some positive results with sn kids. Given the history of the op's son, i think it's important that she consider the potential for both positive and negative outcomes and perhaps that's another question to ask any potential instructor...what's their experience working with sn kids, especially kids with anger/rage and aggression.

You can help him. Make a plan with him and put it on a poster, refer to it when he needs it. Ask him periodically to check how he feels, and if tension is rising, direct him to his plan, walk him thru it. The focus is not on 'X makes me mad', but "I am feeling tense, so I will take action Y'. Y will be something that will allow the tension to decrease so that he can hack at hard things.

Shoe-tying-- my son was in double digits before he could tie his shoes. We let it be, and one day he just tied shoes with no issues. Not a hill to die on, especially compared to the goal of listening to his body and developing self control.

All the therapists have commented on how quickly he goes from 0 to rage. They were supposed to work on getting to first identify and verbalize his feelings. They have all failed to do anything and that's why I dropped them (except the current guy that ds likes).

I have been going over a feelings program with him that uses angry birds, but it's really hard for him to generalize, and then accept that his feelings are his own. He truly believes that dd (as an example) fell and got hurt just as an excuse to stop playing and go inside.

I'm so not dying on the shoe battle. However, he CAN tie his shoes. He just can't untie them and gets very frustrated very quickly. I try to remember to untie everything as I see it, but I often miss it. He's in and out of the house so frequently that it happens often. I've tried Velcro, but he's pulled the strap off of three pairs of shoes now. Warm weather is great- he lives in knock off crocs or goes barefoot. Winter dressing is hard, and time consuming even for typical kids.

We just paid $2998 for 2 kids, 2x/week, for the entire year. This works out to $14.41/kid for each 50-minute class and reflects a pay-for-one-year-in-advance discount and a sibling discount. Tests are $50 (includes test, belt, medal, and certificate) and $15 to change the date if you miss. Shoes and uniforms are included.

Thanks, everyone.

I'm going to talk to the instructor about dd and myself this week. If I can make it happen (money and scheduling), we will start. I'll consider ds after getting to know the instructors and depending on our behavior therapy status.

I need it. Dd would really benefit. Ds is lowest priority for it.

I sent you a PM

In my limited experience, when an autistic child gets overwhelmed and goes into a "rage," there isn't any purposeful focus such as would be required to call on one's martial arts skills.  In fact, the person doesn't even want to hurt anybody, but his fight-or-flight response completely takes over.  Which is going to happen regardless of training, I think.  But obviously the mom is going to be the best judge as to what the risks are.

In my limited experience, when an autistic child gets overwhelmed and goes into a "rage," there isn't any purposeful focus such as would be required to call on one's martial arts skills. In fact, the person doesn't even want to hurt anybody, but his fight-or-flight response completely takes over. Which is going to happen regardless of training, I think. But obviously the mom is going to be the best judge as to what the risks are.

You're right. But if ds can learn to identify his emotions and triggers, it's possible that he can learn to walk away.

He does have some (extremely minimal) recognition, but it requires others to basically "obey" him in a way. This is where dd's understanding and control would be very helpful.

You're right. But if ds can learn to identify his emotions and triggers, it's possible that he can learn to walk away.

He does have some (extremely minimal) recognition, but it requires others to basically "obey" him in a way. This is where dd's understanding and control would be very helpful.

I didn't mean to say he could not learn to try to head off the rages.  What I meant was that training in martial arts seemed unlikely to be an added risk.  I could be wrong, of course.

I didn't mean to say he could not learn to try to head off the rages. What I meant was that training in martial arts seemed unlikely to be an added risk. I could be wrong, of course.

The risk does exist of him getting stronger in ways that would not be good. Learning to position himself in a way that prevents me from easily getting him to the floor or building up his shoulders enough that I'd have to pin in a painful way before he's safe. He's strong on his own! At 5 he had defined, but not large, abdominal muscles. He still has very defined overall muscles.

I agree.

I would have a hard and fast rule that there be no training if DS does not control his physical expressions of anger. Hopefully, this could be an incentive for him if he enjoys martial arts. I say this with a son who is a black belt. There is no way I could control him if he flipped out. I suspect that even if I was trained to the same level as him, that he would be a danger to me if he used his powers for evil. I'm a small person- he's still smaller than me but won't be for long, and even at a couple inches smaller and 20lbs lighter than me, being a male, he is stronger already. He's 12 and not even 70lbs. Most 12 yr olds are much heavier and at home you wouldn't have sparring gear on.

I've seen Ds's instructors work with kids who have anger and discipline problems and it can be very good for them, but the instructors also have a strict rule that any use or display of martial arts outside of class would result in consequences in class. DS is not even allowed to show off to his friends outside of class and he's not a discipline problem. They may get their belts taken away or have to sit out for a while if the instructor learns of any inappropriate use. I don't think it would be easy or possible to not teach your son the skills you learn in a group class. Pretty much everyone at a certain level does the same thing. All blue belts will learn the blue belt skills, for instance, and your son may be ready to progress more quickly than you. You could hold him back from testing and force him to stay behind you, but that's no guarantee he wouldn't be able to take you down.

As far as money- depending on location, for one student, I'd say anywhere from $45-100 a month is typical. Usually you can find significant family discounts as well as discounts for paying for a year up front. IMO, the instructor is the most important thing and I'd drive farther and pay more for an instructor that I liked better. I'd look for a school that offers unlimited lessons with whatever fee you pay. Once a week is not enough.

My daughter's karate is through our local recreation center.  The black belts have been teaching there for years.  It cost $31 / 6 weeks, 2 classes per week.  Testing costs $30 until the student reaches the black belt level.  I have no idea what those costs will be. 

My daughter doesn't have any anger issues; I would be hesitant to have her train in karate if she did.  She is close to receiving her brown belt and has powerful kicks and punches.  The students, also, train heavily in self-defense.   It sounds as if studying karate would be a healthy outlet for you and your daughter.

I hope you find the right dojo for you and for your family.  We have a couple places in our area that are belt factories.  It's sad to see.  They are expensive too.  But there are some great places as well.  They're just harder to find. 

edited:  spelling

I pay $90 a month for all 4 of mine, and drive about 20 minutes away to the next town over for lessons.  ds10 is going to bump up to twice a week in the new year and that will add $15 a month more.  They are in kuk sool won.  Testing costs more but that is only as we and their instructors feel they are ready.  We don't buy the uniforms until they are ready for their first testing.

Here it is very cheap! My son is $20 a month 2x week. My husband takes it also & pays $35 month 2x week. When we lived in Charlotte, my son took Tae Kwon Do for homeschoolers and it was $5 a class. They gave such a good rate because we gave them business during work/school hours - so if you live in a heavily populated homeschool area, try and negotiate.

We pay $65 a month with the homeschool discount. Regular price is $99 a month for two classes per week. My daughter is in the Black Belt Club, which is a one time fee of $125. That includes the special BBC uniform, unlimited regular weekly classes, two BBC-only classes per month and requires her to assist in one class per month. She is in training for competition which includes an additional specialized/intense class every Saturday. Belt fees are $7, but are free if you are in the BBC. She averages 9-11 hrs per week.

Her Shihan is a black belt, 8th dan. The Sempai is black belt 3rd Dan. The assistant instructors are black belt. My daughter is 8 yrs old and is 3rd degree orange belt and she does Shotokan karate.

World Tae Kwon Do (Korean martial arts) at our TKD school is $139 per month.  That includes 3 classes per week. It's a very rigorous and fast paced Asian school.  Children who disrupt or who are uncooperative are removed.

Sparring gear costs $80.  The first uniform is included with the class.  After that they run $40-$80 depending on which you choose. Kids outgrow their gear. Each belt test costs $50. They move up faster in the lower belts and slower in the higher belts.

I agree that your son needs professional medical help.  Your and your daughter need professional counseling with someone who specializes in dealing with children like your son.  Martial arts cannot accomplish what you want it to, and will only make him harder to deal with.  Very mild mannered children can struggle to control themselves sometimes in a sparring match or with another child outside of class provoking them-your son sounds like a very bad candidate to put into that type of situation. Training a child is martial arts is weaponizing them.

Ds(12) currently does Muay Thai kickboxing (and soon Brazilian Ju Jitsu).  For about 5-8 hours a week of training we pay $157/month (he's in the adult class for ages 15+).  This includes a T-shirt & shorts (no gi), level tests, and "open mat" days where he can spend hours using the gym just for practice.  We buy the MMA boxing gloves, hand wraps, compression shirts & pants, ankle supports, mouth guard, & gym bag separately.    

The gym is about a 15-minute drive from my house.

I wish you had the option for aikido---the focus is all on redirecting the energy of the attacker in such as a way as to cause as little harm as possible to either party. It's just a very different mindset and goal than something like karate or TKD. TKD and karate are primarily kicking and punching, which won't help in this situation. Judo and aikido are both focused more on grappling, which is what it sounds like you need.

Can you talk to your case worker about the possibility of getting some training through them as a starting point, using the resources they use to train their staff? I know when I worked with adults with developmental disabilities we were given some training in various holds and pins in case it became necessary.

For the shoes, have you considered something like Hickies elastic lacing system, lock laces or something similar to replace the laces and make the shoes slip on?  http://www.amazon.com/HICKIES-Elastic-Lacing-System-Black/dp/B00ADQN666

There's a DIY for making something similar out of bike tire inner tubes http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-normal-shoes-into-slip-ons-with-inner-tubes/