Menu

US Passport for minor

Night Elf

Dd15 will be going out of the country in July. I'm looking at passport requirements and have a question that I'm hoping someone will know. The requirements say the parents' names must appear in full on the child's birth certificate. The Georgia certificate for my dd has only my maiden name. It specifically says Mother's Maiden Name. It looks like having my married name on there wasn't required. What do I do? Do you think the US Passport people will take this birth certificate or do I need to try to get my hands on one that does include my married name? I have no idea if Georgia would send me another one that doesn't look exactly like the one I've been given already.

Are they flying or driving/taking the train to Canada or Mexico?  If traveling by car/train, a 15 year old doesn't need a passport.  Just an FYI there. 

Otherwise, all you can do is submit the birth certificate as given by the state.  Give yourself LOTS of time.  We had an issue with our daughter's birth certificate when we applied for her passport and it took several weeks to straighten out (and in the meantime, ticket prices rose dramatically :glare: ).

My husband didn't go with us when I got our 17yo daughter's passport. We're married and he's locally available.  It was just my daughter and I that went in to the post office.  Call the local county offices or post office (wherever you're going) to see what they say. 

OOPS - I forgot when I typed the above that your daughter is under 16.  Our daughter was older than that and there are different rules. 

She's going to Costa Rico with a youth leadership group from the YMCA. I wanted to apply now just in case we encountered any problems. The requirements also state both DH and I have to be there when she applies, so he's going to have to take off work. What a pain.

It is annoying, but the rule is in place to prevent parental kidnapping situations. Unfortunate that such a rule should be necessary. 

The post office may or may not (we went to the local drugstore for ours and then took those in), but check out your county offices.  They did take the photo for us. I can't remember if we paid extra for that or not; maybe but it wasn't expensive. It was nicer to go there than the post office because it was "one stop shopping." Plus they seemed a bit more knowledgeable than the post office people (our Postmaster General was telling people that everyone needs a passport no matter where/how traveling; I tried to correct him that those under 15 don't if traveling by land and he didn't believe me).

For US passports you can save money and take the pictures yourself.  However, you do have to be careful to meet the requirements.  I did it easily with babies, and I'd think a teen would be a breeze.  Just need a white background and no shadows.  Print your pics on your home computer paper to see if the head is the right size, then get them done for 25 or 40 cents or whatever it is at your local photo printing place.

…Plus they know the requirements for the photos pretty well.  We've had issues with having them done elsewhere.  If they aren't exactly right the passport ppl get pissy about it.  Totally annoying.

For may last passport, I went to local passport office (not at the post office). She said the photo I brought in was questionable (it was cut just at the top of my hair). She said it may be rejected. I let them do another photo so I would not have to deal with it being rejected. So my recommendation is to let the passport people do the photo if possible.

Best wishes.

Our post office requires appointments for passport applications, and the hours are rather limited IMHO although the clerk said they can make an exception if they have someone available with that training at a different time.  Ours also doesn't take photos.  We paid $3 at a local photography shop, and it was done.

I did photos at an office supply store (Staples or Office Depot, forget which one) and it only cost a few dollars. I would really advise that either you or your husband update your passport. In the event of a true emergency, you'll want the ability to get there quickly.

We just did this.

Make an appointment. If the wait is too long at your location, try some locations in other, lesser populated counties & make an appointment there instead.

The birth certificate will be fine. Make sure it is a notarized original. They will take it & it will be mailed back to you separately from the passport. You will also need your driver's license on you for the meeting.

If they take photos at the post office you are visiting, that is the easiest way. We had photos done at walgreens & the guy didn't know what he was doing. The PO would not accept them & retook them for us. I returned the photos to walgreens & got a refund.

Also, double check when you make the appt. about costs & payment methods. I think there's part that requires a check & part that can be charge, cash, or check. There are two separate charges because part goes to Dept of State & part goes to the Post Office (I think).

It was smooth & easy, the longest part being the wait time for the appt.

our post office doesn't take appointments so check, it's cheaper to have the passports done at CVS or Walgreens, Walmart.  Even cheaper to do it at home.  You can use http://www.123passportphoto.com/ and it will put the dimensions right, save it and then have them printed at the store.  Or there's a government site to change to the correct size as well.  We did ours ourselves.

Oh, and do you think DH and I should renew our expired passports just in case something happens? Yes, I'm paranoid about this trip.

I actually make sure everyone in the family has current passports every time anyone in the family leaves the country. Maybe it's a little paranoid, but I've seen what it takes to get a passport fast under emergency circumstances.

If international travel isn't totally unheard of in a family, I think it's nice to have everyone have a current passport and to get them all at the same time if possible. It is so much easier to renew or get everyone's passports at the same time, especially for children since it can be a hassle for both parents to go to the office.

She's going to Costa Rico with a youth leadership group from the YMCA. I wanted to apply now just in case we encountered any problems. The requirements also state both DH and I have to be there when she applies, so he's going to have to take off work. What a pain.

Yes, both of us had to be there as well. Evidently there is some concern that one parent may apply for a passport and take a child out of the country without the consent of the other parent.

The issue regarding maiden name on birth certificate is new to me. My ds's birth cert contains our family name and my maiden name.

I called my post office and they said it was walk-in only. I'll check CVS about photos but I don't remember there being anything like that at my local CVS. And my Walmart doesn't have a photo studio. In fact, I cannot think of any place around me that has a photo studio or even booth. I forgot to ask the post office if they took pictures. I'll have to call them back. But someone did message me about it being easy to apply for a passport at the local probate court. I'm going to check into that as well. I'm hoping to get this taken care of while dd is on school break.

I try to keep everyone's passport current, all the time.  We've had last-minute things come up.  I've done the emergency passport thing twice, and it's not something you want to do if you can avoid it.  I would absolutely renew your passport, and your dh's too, if you can spare the money.  They are good for a long time, so who knows, you may get a last-minute opportunity for a vacation abroad sometime in the next few years!

At your ds's age, you may also wish to get him a state photo ID (a driver's license for non-drivers).  Our state's is cheap ($15?) and it comes in handy more than you'd think.  Easier to replace if lost than a passport.  

Double-check the issuing location's requirements.  Some parts need to be cash, others check, because they go different places.  Part of the form needs to be signed in front of the clerk; if you sign it ahead of time you need to fill out a new form.  Hours may be more restricted than just regular operating hours.

Instead of your DH taking off work, see if there is anywhere with Saturday hours - my local courthouse does this.  OR, if he isn't getting his renewed, you can go the affidavit route, and he just needs to go to a notary to get the form signed for you to take along.

Agreeing that at least one adult needs a valid passport.

I had my passport photo done at Walgreen's (they have a pull-down screen in the photo dept). Dh had his done at the post office (long, long, long wait in line!!), and I had the kids' done at Target. 

I will not use the post office again. The wait was horrid! It took dh close to two hours. With Walgreens & Target, I had my photos in 15 minutes, then ran across the street to a store that mails all sorts of stuff and that was it. The post office advertises 'one stop passports', but there was not one thing convenient about it.