Menu

Grain free, dairy free breakfast ideas for dd who hates eggs

VaKim

My GF, egg-hating daughter especially loves our large Sunday breakfasts which usually include: fried potatoes of some sort (fried with onions, sliced/sautéed, or bubble-n-squeak); and bacon, sausage and/or grilled meat.  She also loves fruit and smoothies.  (You could make more of an "agua fresca" and use water instead of milk, etc.)

Potatoes are a staple of the two GF eaters in our family (Both have thin builds.).      

The easiest thing to do would be to make sure there are supper leftovers and serve those to her for breakfast.  Meats and veggies.  Soups and stews (no flour or corn added).  

If she misses cereal, you could make a granola with only chopped nuts and fresh or dried fruit. No need for a milk substitute.

You could still get some eggs into her with a crustless dairy-free pumpkin pie (call it pumpkin custard).  If you google, you'll find various recipes that use canned coconut milk. 

How about brown rice or quinoa? I like leftover rice with some almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. It's like rice pudding for breakfast. There are gluten free cereals, too. I haven't tried quinoa for breakfast, but I would think it  could work similar to oatmeal. There are gluten free oats if you are willing to keep oats on the menu. You could always make homemade granola with those. 

Soup

Smoothies

I will put raw eggs in smoothies for protein. As long as no one knows, they love them. If I tell them, they look at me weird. We raise our eggs and are thus comfortable doing so. Pastured egg products would also work.

And work hard to like eggs. - I did this and now like eggs but it also meant figuring out how I like them. I have one child that doesn't prefer eggs but will eat them if it's an omelet with something they do like (or if there is something else they want to eat and need to finish the egg dish first).

I'm assuming she's not allergic to eggs, just doens't like them?

You could easily hide them in things if that is the case.  Yummy things, like paleo pancakes, waffles biscuits, muffins, etc. made with almond or coconut flours.  I usually serve things like that with a side of sausage, bacon, or ham.

Breakfast is the worst i swear when you have dietary limitations.

No way! It's the best because it is made early in the day when one can still be bothered to cook. :p

Make sure you get your protein at breakfast time, that's all. Over carbing at breakfast time makes me crash and burn, and that's with me apparently requiring more carbs than the average. Or at least listening to the low carb people talk makes me cry.  :lol:

Quinoa is technically not a grain, it is a seed.  But from a nutritional/digestive standpoint it is considered a grain.  It is not considered paleo because of this.  If I were ruling out grains for autoimmune disease, I would rule out quinoa.  When reintroducing to see if the food actually aggravates symptoms, I would introduce quinoa before other official grains, though.

We eat a lot of non-breakfast breakfast here. In fact, most of my food allergy kid's breakfasts fall in that category. For example, this morning he had chicken breast (leftover from dinner, he likes it) and guacamole with carrot sticks for dipping.  I'd just try to forget the idea of breakfast foods if she'll go for that.

If you have a decent blender, a little milk substitute, frozen bananas, blueberries, and flax meal blended together into an ice cream type consistency and topped with crushed walnuts is our new breakfast favorite. If you don't have a great blender to tolerate the large amount of frozen ingredients, you could blend everything not frozen and freeze into single bowls or Popsicle molds. Dh has to have traditional breakfast, but the kids and I eat things like above all the time. Also, I make muffins using almond meal instead of flour that are good, tons. Of online recipes. We eat some grains, but carrot sticks dipped in peanut butter and honey is a hit for snacks or lunch, could work for breakfast.

I love the ideas the above posters gave.

I tried "salad for breakfast" for a while when I was a serious runner, and it was AWESOME. It sounds bizarre, but it really started my day off perfectly. A big load of vitamins and minerals, and some nice proteins and fats, and I was good to go all day. No carb crashing, etc. Lasting energy. Very nice!

Google "salad for breakfast" and you can find some great ideas. I love salads, and I did all sorts of rich greens, and added nuts, home made dressings, roasted cubed butternut squash, quinoa (OK, that is a grain, so scratch that) . . . mmmm. I love a great salad! You can prep most/all of the ingredients in larger batches ahead of time, so throwing it together can be quick and easy.

Breakfast potatoes are one of my fave weaknesses, too. Mmmm. 

Fruits and yogurts, yummmm.... I am dairy person, but I know they make non-dairy yogurts and milks.

Chocolate milk is always a standby for my teens. (Chocolate almond milk sounds delish)

Really, you can eat any healthy food for breakfast. Whatever she likes for other meals can be eaten in the morning!

But, really, if you want to try something new, try salad for breakfast. It is the best ever.

Smoothies are delicious and fun, too. If your girl likes shakes and smoothies, try out some! Frozen berries + frozen banana (sweetness jolt) + some non-dairy yogurt and milk (almond milk, whatever) = YUMM. If you are feeling really healthy, throw in some chia seeds (not a grain, but a seed!) and some nice nuts. You can even make them green with a handful of greens if you are feeling adventurous and uberhealthy.

Lots more great ideas! I like the sounds of some of those things for myself, lol. 

However, this dd hates nuts and beans as well as eggs. (She will eat them if I tell her to, or if she is at someone else's house.) She does like raw veggies and fruits though. And most meats. We are just gonna have to take time to prepare something, which will be the biggest change for people who are used to throwing cereal and milk in a bowl. 

Lots more great ideas! I like the sounds of some of those things for myself, lol. 

However, this dd hates nuts and beans as well as eggs. (She will eat them if I tell her to, or if she is at someone else's house.) She does like raw veggies and fruits though. And most meats. We are just gonna have to take time to prepare something, which will be the biggest change for people who are used to throwing cereal and milk in a bowl. 

You can have things ready in the fridge/freezer that all you have to do is reheat quickly in the morning, or throw together.  It takes a bit more prep the day (or days) before, but then it makes the mornings almost milk and cereal easy.