Menu

Dun, dun, dun - and the saga continues. Tutoring student...

AimeeM

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In situations like this, I usually make a good-faith effort to clarify (send one or two messages and wait a reasonable amount of time for a response), then follow up with a polite but clear deadline.

For example, I might send the mom one more message letting her know you are leaving the house in 20  minutes (or whatever time is appropriate) and won't be available to receive her daughter after that time today. If she still doesn't respond, I'd follow up with a message letting her know that, since you do have other obligations and need to be able to plan your days, you need to hear from her by [insert whatever time and date works for you] that she wishes to finish out her month. Otherwise, you will assume she's made other arrangements. If it's appropriate, you can then offer to refund whatever money she's prepaid you after the specified cut-off date.

I'm sorry this has been such a mess for you.

I've been following this saga and I think this is her warped attempt at trying to regain control of the situation. I would go on with my life as though I were not expecting her at all. The mom wants you to stew in your house waiting for her to show up...all the while never intending to show. She's not going to come. She's mad. She's realized she can't use you anymore. Users tend to move on pretty quickly once confronted, IME.

I'd go back to co-op, schedule dr. appmts, etc. If she's not showing up and not answering messages than I think it's pretty clear what's going on here.

I'd leave a message that, if you do not hear from her by 7:00 am you will assume she is not coming for the whole day. I'd also say, regardless of whether she calls to say she will be late, she cannot expect to drop off between 7:30 and 8:30 am. She has paid for a service, it's her problem if she does not take advantage. She did not contract for random drop in service. And she has known the schedule of everyone leaving your house to take your older dd to school.

If you have no message by 7 am, then go about your day as if child is not coming. Do not sit around waiting.

How much time has she actually paid for? (Subtract everything owed . . . wasn't there a week you thought you'd never see reimbursement?) Balance it all out and if there is a week or two in her favor, I'd maintain the 'Tutor Girl Schedule' for that time then proceed with normal life after.

She's paid for the availability. (Daycares don't give refunds if a kid is absent.) If she can't contact you, or adhere to an hour-long drop-off window, you are not obligated to make your daughter late for school. Leave without her. I'd leave a note on my door and quit texting her. She can invest some effort if she wants information. SHE can be the one made late if she shows up and she's missed you.

As inconvenient as it is, she DID pay for your time so, I believe you owe her that time -within the limits you previously established. So, if you were available for drop off until 7:30, continue on with that schedule.  Do you always leave at the same time to take your dd to school? Continue. Are you gone during the day for errands and such (park, gym, etc. ) keep going.

Since you did take her money for the next 2.5 weeks, I don't think you should plan a pre-tutor student lifestyle just yet. Unless you have clear termination from her or you return her money.

I hope this is all over soon. You've dealt with a lot from her. :grouphug:

I'd leave a message that, if you do not hear from her by 7:00 am you will assume she is not coming for the whole day. I'd also say, regardless of whether she calls to say she will be late, she cannot expect to drop off between 7:30 and 8:30 am. She has paid for a service, it's her problem if she does not take advantage. She did not contract for random drop in service. And she has known the schedule of everyone leaving your house to take your older dd to school.

If you have no message by 7 am, then go about your day as if child is not coming. Do not sit around waiting.

Yep. This.

Do NOT make your dd late for school.  Be home for the time you and she have agreed you will be home - I wouldn't schedule any appointments for the time you have agreed to be with her child., UNLESS that was something you would normally do in a tutor day with her.

Sorry she is being such a pain about this, but as others have said, she's really (!!) showing her true colors.  I know you will be glad to have this in your rear view mirror!

Yeah I'd give her a couple of days to respond just in case there is some very good reason she didn't show up.  Then I'd refund her the money for future tutoring.  I'd assume she just isn't interested anymore.  Don't worry about her showing up and you not being there.  People can't just decide to show up whenever.  Not your problem anymore.

Actually I would NOT refund her the money.  She contracted in good faith for that time, and you have anticipated having her - if she's a no show that's her problem.

Do NOT make your dd late for school.  Be home for the time you and she have agreed you will be home - I wouldn't schedule any appointments for the time you have agreed to be with her child., UNLESS that was something you would normally do in a tutor day with her.

Sorry she is being such a pain about this, but as others have said, she's really (!!) showing her true colors.  I know you will be glad to have this in your rear view mirror!

I don't think you need BE HOME during the hours you have agreed to care for the child, unless the agreement was that you would be home physically the whole time. I don't think this was your agreement based on things you've said previously. Follow the procedures you have been following. If I recall correctly, you took the child and your son places throughout the day regularly. So, I would stick by saying that you will assume she is not coming if you do not hear by 7 am. Then, proceed about the day the way you planned. If, after school drop off, you did not plan to come home, but were going to the library or museum go. Maybe you were going to come home for a couple hours and then go to the park--do that.

Do not stay tethered to your house simply because she won't communicate.

Actually I would NOT refund her the money.  She contracted in good faith for that time, and you have anticipated having her - if she's a no show that's her problem.

Yeah - this is my internal debate. Refund or no. The things that I rescheduled, can't be moved up. I had planned our lives accordingly, assuming that she would be here for another month.

I would definitely take screen shots of the messages you are sending her. I would deliver my child to school as usual with a note on the door, then plan at home activities for the amount of time the student would have been coming (unless you hear back that she's definitely not coming). After all, you expected to be home with an extra student, anyway. Make plans to restart you real life activities in 3 weeks.

I don't say this to unnecessarily imprison you. I say this because you've been dealing with a passive aggressive user and I think you just need to protect yourself from any retaliation she may be scheming.

I would definitely take screen shots of the messages you are sending her. I would deliver my child to school as usual with a note on the door, then plan at home activities for the amount of time the student would have been coming (unless you hear back that she's definitely not coming). After all, you expected to be home with an extra student, anyway. Make plans to restart you real life activities in 3 weeks.

I don't say this to unnecessarily imprison you. I say this because you've been dealing with a passive aggressive user and I think you just need to protect yourself from any retaliation she may be scheming.

I think if someone is a no-call / no-show then you need to make several attempts to find out why. My last text, email, and message would say ..."unless I hear back from you within the next day, I have to assume you will no longer be using my services & therefore, I will no longer maintain my schedule to be at home".

That's fair. Waiting 3 weeks is too much!!

Hopefully the mom will call you soon or be in touch. They could have a legitimate excuse. If she is a no call/show tomorrow - just call again. Express genuine concern. After a few days, I'd leave the message above though. Under the circumstances and her track record, I would assume no contact after a few days assumes she is mad and just discontinuing your services rudely.

ETA - I would not sit home though or not take your child to school!! Just leave a message and note on the door covering your tracks. After a few days, just tell her your done. Period.

I would keep going just like you have been.  Keep the money and her spot open.  You already didn't have appointments planned, so leave your schedule open just in case.  If there is an emergency, urgent appointment, or if you want to go the park...whatever it may be, and she hasn't shown up by her regular drop off time, leave a note on the door and go.  

Heck no I wouldn't refund! She is choosing not to use the services for which you and she have contracted. 

I would proceed normally and leave the house at 7:30. I would try several methods to reach her, including calling her work. If she's ducking your calls, you could probably get her to answer by calling from a different number that she doesn't recognize (DH's cell maybe?). I'd just be worried something happened to them. 

Stick to your schedule.  Do not let her lack of communication mess things up for you or your kids.  

What I would do:

Today - inform her that you will be sticking to your schedule. "Please drop your DD off by X time.  After that we will be gone and/or unavailable for the day."

Tomorrow - if you have still not heard from her by tomorrow morning, send her a message letting her know that you will cancel your contract with her if you don't hear from her by a certain date/time. "You were a no-show yesterday and have failed to communicate with me about your schedule and plans.  Unless I hear from you by 5pm today, Tuesday 10/22, I will consider our contract canceled.  Further no-shows or failure to drop your DD off at the agreed-upon time will also be cause for cancelation of the contract."

As for what to refund her if you do cancel the contract early, I would put together an itemized list of the expenses you have incurred for her DD in this current period, and then subtract those from her payment.  Send her the itemized bill with the remaining refund (if any). 

She just responded saying that dd woke up crying and with a headache - she then said that she has a sinus infection. This leads me to my next question and I'll call the children's ped to confirm... is this contagious? I had an actual sinus infection weeks ago, that required antibiotics. I was told that on its own it wasn't necessarily contagious, but when I look it up, it states that if it's actually a virus, it is probably a URI (upper resp infection), cold, or flu related, and IS contagious.

Again, concerned because I have a medically fragile child - ESPECIALLY susceptible to anything resp related (lung problems). Is tomorrow (when she wants to bring her back) enough time to be not contagious? I wouldn't think so.

Gah.

She just responded saying that dd woke up crying and with a headache - she then said that she has a sinus infection. This leads me to my next question and I'll call the children's ped to confirm... is this contagious? I had an actual sinus infection weeks ago, that required antibiotics. I was told that on its own it wasn't necessarily contagious, but when I look it up, it states that if it's actually a virus, it is probably a URI (upper resp infection) and IS contagious.

Again, concerned because I have a medically fragile child - ESPECIALLY susceptible to anything resp related (lung problems). Is tomorrow (when she wants to bring her back) enough time to be not contagious? I wouldn't think so.

Gah.

Ask if the child has a fever - be sure you get an answer. The general rule of thumb is stay at home until patient is 24 hours fever-free, 24 hours past first dose of antibiotics. I would not take this child tomorrow. This child will not feel up to doing school tomorrow and you will be stuck babysitting a sick child. That's mom's job.

I responded by conveying that I hope A feels better soon and I'm sorry she's sick; I'll need her to be either 24 hours into antibiotics, OR have a doctor's note indicating that this is an allergy related infection (i.e. not contagious) and not viral or part of a different infection.

... and now she says that her daughter has been on antibiotics since Sunday - even though she said "A woke up with a headache and an infection"... as in, this morning.

I requested a doctor's note or form from the ER/urgent care (since, if she took dd for treatment over the weekend, she would have likely had to go to one or the other). Hope I wasn't out of line doing so.

... and now she says that her daughter has been on antibiotics since Sunday - even though she said "A woke up with a headache and an infection"... as in, this morning.

I requested a doctor's note or form from the ER/urgent care (since, if she took dd for treatment over the weekend, she would have likely had to go to one or the other). Hope I wasn't out of line doing so.

You're doing the right thing. The woman is lying to you about how long her dd has been on antibiotics.

And she was a real weasel not to have called you this morning to let you know what was going on.

Stay tough. Don't put up with a single ounce of her garbage. You've already given notice. There is no reason whatsoever for you to tolerate having a sick child in your home.

GAH is right! Holy smokes, what an...interesting woman.

I think I might just tell her it seems, what with the illness, that it would be in the best interest of both her and your medically-fragile son (and use those words) to terminate the tutoring as of today. Take out today's $, take out the rest of what she owed you, and return the rest with a note wishing her all the best. Call her, then put the note and the check in her mailbox and runawayfast...um, I mean drive away. 

Dear ---,

I'm sorry to hear --is ill. What with her illness and the fact that my son is medically fragile and cannot be around anyone who is sick, I believe it is in the best interest of both that we terminate our tutoring relationship as of today. Enclosed please find a check for $$, which is the amount you gave me last week, minus $ for today (because of no notice) and the outstanding balance of (date of week she owed on).

Wishing you all the best,

AimeeM

You're doing the right thing. The woman is lying to you about how long her dd has been on antibiotics.

And she was a real weasel not to have called you this morning to let you know what was going on.

Stay tough. Don't put up with a single ounce of her garbage. You've already given notice. There is no reason whatsoever for you to tolerate having a sick child in your home.

She hasn't responded back to that one yet. I'm half anticipating a child showing up tomorrow with no note - and having to call mom to come get her (which will happen immediately).

None of this was a problem for her (no sick kiddo) when we first talked! Not a bit of a problem!

Hope I wasn't out of line doing so.

Please stop worrying so much about how your perfectly legitimate choices and decisions affect other people. You are not only NOT out of line, you are making decisions that are in the best interest of your medically fragile child.

I hope this experience has opened your eyes to the extent to which people will walk all over you if you let them.  You seem like a wonderful, caring person - but I hope you toughen up a bit and start putting the needs of your family and yourself first.   :grouphug:

Please stop worrying so much about how your perfectly legitimate choices and decisions affect other people. You are not only NOT out of line, you are making decisions that are in the best interest of your medically fragile child.

I hope this experience has opened your eyes to the extent to which people will walk all over you if you let them.  You seem like a wonderful, caring person - but I hope you toughen up a bit and start putting the needs of your family and yourself first.   :grouphug:

Oh I think I need to toughen up a lot. Lol.

Thing is, I'm just flabbergasted. It isn't like these aren't things we discussed. I made sure I was very, very clear before we started. I guess I'm just a bit of a rule follower.

She hasn't responded back to that one yet. I'm half anticipating a child showing up tomorrow with no note - and having to call mom to come get her (which will happen immediately).

None of this was a problem for her (no sick kiddo) when we first talked! Not a bit of a problem!

Why would she have to come back? Can't you just not LET her drop off. What if you didn't open the door? She doesn't make sure the kid is inside before dropping off?

Why would she have to come back? Can't you just not LET her drop off. What if you didn't open the door? She doesn't make sure the kid is inside before dropping off?

I leave the door open with lights on because drop off time varies by 20 minutes or so, in case I'm in another room when she gets here. Mom stays in the car, curb parked, while dd comes in. I'll try to make sure I'm in the kitchen (by the door) tomorrow when she comes; usually I'm in a back room getting the boys up and dressed, or floating through another room getting somebody else dressed/ready/dd's lunch made, etc.

Good idea though (when you said door) - I'll just leave the door locked so the child has to knock; mom never drives off before she comes in, but I am afraid she'll just drive off as soon as I open the door.

I leave the door open with lights on because drop off time varies by 20 minutes or so, in case I'm in another room when she gets here. Mom stays in the car, curb parked, while dd comes in. I'll try to make sure I'm in the kitchen (by the door) tomorrow when she comes; usually I'm in a back room getting the boys up and dressed, or floating through another room getting somebody else dressed/ready/dd's lunch made, etc.

Good idea though (when you said door) - I'll just leave the door locked so the child has to knock; mom never drives off before she comes in, but I am afraid she'll just drive off as soon as I open the door.

Okie dokie.

Can you come from another door, so Mom doesn't see you?  Either way, I wouldn't let her dd in the house without the note from the doctor.

Okie dokie.

Can you come from another door, so Mom doesn't see you?  Either way, I wouldn't let her dd in the house without the note from the doctor.

Yeah, I know, lol.

Just another few weeks :)

I could try another door.

I hope you don't think we're piling on you, Aimee.  You have a heart of gold.  I think we're all seeing what a leech this woman is.  :grouphug:

Not at all (do I think ya'll are piling on me).

I appreciate the advice and listening ears. I'm venting, mostly. I already know that this isn't going to end well or with us on good terms. I know tomorrow will be a confrontation unless, by some miracle, she actually did mis-text and meant Sunday initially (not holding my breath, but hey - it could happen, right?).

The kid isn't coming in sick. This was stupid to get myself into in the first place.and I trusted (wrongly) that mom was telling me the truth. She seemed nice. They always do to me, I guess. Perhaps I need to take a line from my husband (who is far less trusting). I feel so terribly burned and tired.

More hugs to you.

Go take a bubble bath, read a good book, sip a glass of wine, eat some chocolate, take a long walk, read some Scripture that is meaningful to you....something to take your mind (and your heart) off this woman.  She'd like nothing better than to suck all the blood from your heart of gold!!

More hugs to you.

Go take a bubble bath, read a good book, sip a glass of wine, eat some chocolate, take a long walk, read some Scripture that is meaningful to you....something to take your mind (and your heart) off this woman.  She'd like nothing better than to suck all the blood from your heart of gold!!

I'm good right now - I'm bathed, my eldest is keeping my middle up playing with a bow and arrow set (and I'm pretending not to notice that it's way past bedtime), the youngest is asleep, husband is beside me, and I have... homemade meatballs and rigatoni (better than chocolate!). Lol.

I really do appreciate everyone letting me get this off my chest without telling me to shut it already, lol!

Don't answer the door. When she knocks/rings, stay in the house and text the mom that she needs to come in and speak with you.

Any of you gals reminded of the story a while back of some crazy mom just dropping her kids in a friend's car and taking off, expecting her to babysit them? Remember that thread? Aimee, I'm starting to think that nut case found you...

I was going to go with *boo, hiss* but remembered that the girl is sick, right? So it's good she didn't show up? But not good the mom didn't call to say so. :thumbdown:

(ha ha--I got to *boo, hiss* after all :D )

She is sick and it is good that she didn't come. I guess. Her mom had said she was 24 hours into antibiotics, but hasn't responded since I told her I would need a note from the doctor stating that she was clear to come back on xx-xx-xx (date) - after mom changed her initial story about when dd became ill.

Yes, no call no show is bad. I wake up an hour earlier than necessary to make sure I'm awake for Kiddo's arrival - so I'm up early and cranky for no reason, last two days.I share your *boo, hiss*. Lol.

I think you should consider your agreement with this family to be in default (from their side). I know you want to do the best thing for this young girl, and you have already gone above and beyond. The thing is, you can't fix her or her mother. You do have responsibilities to yourself and your family that are being interfered with by the outrageously inconsiderate actions of this woman.

At the point, it seems clear that she is not going to be happy with you unless you provide her exactly what she wants at a way low price. Since you can't do that, I think it is time to just cut it off now. She has forfeited her right to a month's notice by her no-show for two days in a row. Refund or no, it is up to what you can live with. Would text her today and tell her it is over.

Yeah I'd give her a couple of days to respond just in case there is some very good reason she didn't show up. Then I'd refund her the money for future tutoring. I'd assume she just isn't interested anymore. Don't worry about her showing up and you not being there. People can't just decide to show up whenever. Not your problem anymore.

Oh heck no.

NO REFUNDS.

OP, repeat after me:

NO REFUNDS.

Oh heck no.

NO REFUNDS.

OP, repeat after me:

NO REFUNDS.

No Refunds.

No Refunds.

No Refunds.

I can't handle this day in, day out thing much longer. I'm dragging children out of bed earlier than necessary, because she is supposed to be here. I know she's sick - but mom hasn't even texted or called today, and she didn't text yesterday until late in the day (and after I had contacted her).

You need a calendar to mark the days off until freedom!  In the meantime, text or e-mail her that you will assume the girl is sick until you hear from the mom telling you that she is coming back for childcare.  And plan  your days accordingly.  

I think I will mark my calendar, lol.

Mom said she'd be here today!

I think I'm going to text and remind her that it is necessary for me to know when she isn't going to be here, and that if there is one more no-show, I'm going to assume she no longer needs my services.

I think I'm going to text and remind her that it is necessary for me to know when she isn't going to be here, and that if there is one more no-show, I'm going to assume she no longer needs my services.

That's perfect.  Set it up so that it's an automatic "if you no-show, we're done".   Don't make it so that you have to wait for her to confirm.  Because then this nonsense will just keep dragging on. 

In the meantime, stick to your schedule and go about your life.  Don't sit around waiting for mom to show, or change plans to accommodate her.

Hang in there.  It's almost over.  :grouphug:

That's perfect. Set it up so that it's an automatic "if you no-show, we're done". Don't make it so that you have to wait for her to confirm. Because then this nonsense will just keep dragging on.

In the meantime, stick to your schedule and go about your life. Don't sit around waiting for mom to show, or change plans to accommodate her.

Hang in there. It's almost over. :grouphug:

This. And I would make sure she knows you're still going to need that Dr's note because there is no way in hades I would trust this lady's word about her child being well enough to be around your medically fragile child.