Menu

So, what are you using for Latin?

I've been interested in Lively Latin, but almost 2 weeks ago I emailed in some questions (to the email address on their Contact Us page) and I haven't heard back at all.  I've emailed again, but I'm not sure I expect them to answer given the lack of response so far.

So I'm looking around to see what else there is for covering Latin with my 9 & 12-year-olds.  What do you use, what are the materials, and how do you and your kids like it?  With my bunch they enjoy it more if there is some engaging audio and/or visual input along with books, so please do mention if these are available.  I'm not interested in curricula that are heavy on religious content or viewpoints, but a little as part of the culture is okay.  I'd also like to know if there is an option to choose between ecclesiastical or classical pronunciations, please.

Thanks!

We use Latin for Children for my 9-year-old. We started with Song School Latin and moved to Logos Press, but found Logos to not have enough context around the vocabulary so switched.

LFC has an audio CD, a DVD lesson for each chapter, an Activity Book with crossword puzzles, mazes and different review activities for each chapter, a workbook, weekly quiz and review chapter every 4 or 5 lessons. It also has a Latin Primer so the student is pretty immediately translating sentences and getting practice seeing the different endings and sentence structure. 

For the DVD & CD, there is a classical or ecclesiastical option so both are provided.

I've been very happy with the program and intend to continue using it. 

We started with Song School Latin, cute but not what I wanted. Then I purchased Lively Latin, but it wanted my son to memorize a bunch of stuff without knowing why. So then I got Getting Started with Latin, and that is incremental explanations with daily translation of 10 sentences. Awesome. He got half way through it before going back to Lively Latin, I will let him finish that then finish the second half of Getting Started with Latin. He will likely get LL 2 then, but not totally for sure. He likes it, but I might find something I like better. I wish that GSWL had more levels. But there are a few choices on his website as followups. I am working on checking those out now.

I am loving GSWL, and will go to Latin Book 1 & 2, then Wheelocks most likely. ;-)

We use Artes Latinae, which teaches Latin using a structural linguistics approach. (See http://www.umich.edu/~cfc/rosslatin.htm .) It uses CD-ROMs, but isn't very flashy; it was formerly a workbook and tapes (I think a book-and-CD version may still be available), and was transferred to a digital format. There is a reader for practice, and a teacher's guide for the reader, but the course is very self-guided; though younger children may need a parent next to them for occasional help. You don't need to have any Latin for your kids to use it.

It's secular, and offers a choice between American Scholastic ("classical"), Ecclesiastical, and Restored Classical pronunciations. There are two levels, constituting (theoretically) two years of high school Latin; but Great Girl found it put her ahead of other college freshmen who had taken three years of Latin.

My older two enjoyed it, and more importantly after both levels my older could read Latin reasonably well, and found herself more than prepared for a university Virgil class.

dd14 is using lingva latina in her online class and I have started self education with it.  She quiet likes it.  It is a text written fully in latin and you translate as you go learning latin in the same way children learn english by hearing you speak it and read it etc.  My boys are starting with LC1 by memoria press next month, they do better with it broken down differently, rather than just jumping in with both feet like dd.

Funny aside about lingva latina, so chapter 1 was focused on the roman empire, chapter 2 on a roman family and its greek slaves.  Chapter 3 though dd found hilarious, so the family has 2 boys and a girl, the girl is singing and 1 brother gets irritated that she won't stop and hits her, so bigger brother gets mad at younger brother and hits him for hitting sister, and so then they are fighting and sister starts yelling for mother.  That is where they stopped today in class, but they have to read ahead for next class, and dd sees the pictures that show that the mother gets father out of bed and he spanks the boy for hitting the girl.  DD was laughing and laughing as they translated this chapter, it was written in a story way unlike the first 2 chapters that were more textbook like, but some families may not find the humor in a chapter like that.

Getting Started With Latin does not have engaging DVDs or audio (it does have audio, but I wouldn't call it engaging), but it is a FANTASTIC intro to Latin. A wonderful follow-up is Latin Book 1 (and then Book 2), but that also has no audio or video. You could try Visual Latin if you wanted video. I hear that Dwayne is funny. I looked at it, but as one of the first translation sentences was something along the lines of "God is good," I went no further.

Depending on your approach to Latin, you could try Ecce Romani or Cambridge Latin, both of which have online components.

Some people really enjoy Latin Prep.

For an introduction, you cannot go wrong with GSWL.  Cannot. go. wrong.  That'll probably last you a semester, depending on how you schedule it.

We followed it with Henle though that might be on the more difficult side for your younger student (just go slow).  First Form is another option that would probably fit both your students, has all the extras, etc. though it's expensive (I like the layout but something about it is just not my cup of tea even though it is supposed to be like Henle).  I'm intrigued by Latin for the New Millenium (LNM) and wish we had tried that.

We use Memoria Press.  We used Prima Latina in a few years ago.  They did have latin prayers in the chapter.  We use First Form now.  Latin prayers are suggested if you want to add them, and they are in the back of the book.  It's easy to use and we really like it!

Our sequence, from that age, has been Getting Started With Latin, then Latin Prep 1-3. Ds, who is just 12, is about halfway through level 2 and I hope to finish 3 by the end of his eighth grade year. However, I am supplementing with some of the exercises at the end of Wheelock's for extra practice, which he needs.

LP does not emphasize pronunciation and I honestly don't know which the book recommends! There are no recordings, obviously. Since it is not a religious program, I assume it uses classical pronunciation, but really, I don't know.

It's secular, and offers a choice between American Scholastic ("classical"), Ecclesiastical, and Restored Classical pronunciations.

What is Restored Classical, please, and how does it compare to American Scholastic?

We started with Latin for Children (but discontinued using due to the tears it produced); then moved to Getting Started with Latin (loved it!)  DD10 finished it last year, and she has moved on to Logos Latin, which I haven't seen mentioned much on this forum, but she is really liking it.  There was a little overlap from what she already learned, but she is adding a lot of new vocabulary this year.  Also, it provides more opportunity for independent practice than GSWL.  It's working well for us.

http://www.logospressonline.com/latin-1/

Our sequence, from that age, has been Getting Started With Latin, then Latin Prep 1-3. Ds, who is just 12, is about halfway through level 2 and I hope to finish 3 by the end of his eighth grade year. However, I am supplementing with some of the exercises at the end of Wheelock's for extra practice, which he needs.

LP does not emphasize pronunciation and I honestly don't know which the book recommends! There are no recordings, obviously. Since it is not a religious program, I assume it uses classical pronunciation, but really, I don't know.

For an introduction, you cannot go wrong with GSWL.  Cannot. go. wrong.  That'll probably last you a semester, depending on how you schedule it.

We followed it with Henle though that might be on the more difficult side for your younger student (just go slow).  First Form is another option that would probably fit both your students, has all the extras, etc. though it's expensive (I like the layout but something about it is just not my cup of tea even though it is supposed to be like Henle).  I'm intrigued by Latin for the New Millenium (LNM) and wish we had tried that.

:iagree:  with the bolded.

We used GSWL (*loved it*) and have moved to Visual Latin.   It is working for us so far.

What is Restored Classical, please, and how does it compare to American Scholastic?

They're very similar. "Restored" is more careful about pronouncing Latin exactly the way (we think) the ancient Romans actually spoke: elisions, omitted final 'm,' and so on. I don't know, that always seemed a little precious to me; I mean, I'm not out to order lunch with Caesar's wife and concerned the waiter might not understand me.

We love the First Form series from Memoria Press. It's perfect for your daughters' ages. You don't need to know Latin to teach this program. We are now on Fourth Form, the equivalent of second half of high school Latin 2, with my 13 yo dd. And I have been in coops where this program has been used successfully. It is so easy to implement, and I have learned so much along the way. Dh, the Latin teacher by trade, agrees that it covers what should be covered. What's nice is that there is the option of an online class, and there are resources available on quizlet.

My 11 year old DD is also using Lingua Latina, and loves the stories.  She thinks they're hilarious and loves following the family's adventures and misadventures.

If I didn't have a pretty good Latin background, though, I'm not sure how well I'd deal with the way grammar is handled. It's all done through examples in the story, then a section afterward, also in Latin, pointing out how different forms are used. The grammar is all there, but personally I long for a nice, clear explanation in English with an accompanying vocabulary list.

However, it is secular, there's a cd available with classical pronunciation, there are companion books that do cover grammar explicitly (I think one is called the College Companion, and I may need to get it...), there are extra books of stories that my daughter will probably get for Christmas. That's how much she enjoys this book. She's saying she may want to teach Latin when she grows up, and she's really getting pretty good with it. I'll take some inconvenience for that sort of result.

I don't know how much the immersion experience has to do with her success, but I do think the enjoyment of the stories is critical. The plot lines are just more interesting and, over time, more involved then in the standard textbook, and we've focused on reading, not on the exercises, though there are plenty available in an extra book (the Exercitia). I guess we're taking an interest-led approach, maybe? Stories first, picking up grammar as needed along the way. And the beauty of this book is that it can work that way.

First time Latin learners here.  We are using Latina Christiana for my 5th grade DD.  We wanted to start her out gently rather than jumping right into First Form Latin.  Wow, is all I can say.  It is very detailed and gently introduced.  We have the DVD instructional videos along with the rest of the program.  Those DVDs are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.  I watch them right along with my DD.  We are both learning Latin together.  DD is progressing very quickly and actually loving it!

We watch the DVD on Monday.  Tuesday she does the main workbook lesson and drills her vocab/prayer/saying.  Wednesday we do our drills, and I give her a supplemental worksheet corresponding to the lesson from the LC Review Worksheets I purchased.  Thursday we practice our drills and then I have DD do 2 review puzzles from the Ludere Latine I, another supplemental purchase.  DD enjoys the puzzles.  Friday we have our quiz.  Everything is quick and easy. 

They're very similar. "Restored" is more careful about pronouncing Latin exactly the way (we think) the ancient Romans actually spoke: elisions, omitted final 'm,' and so on. I don't know, that always seemed a little precious to me; I mean, I'm not out to order lunch with Caesar's wife and concerned the waiter might not understand me.

Ah, thank you!  Always helpful to know what variations are out there on stuff we intend to study.

My 11 year old DD is also using Lingua Latina, and loves the stories.  She thinks they're hilarious and loves following the family's adventures and misadventures.

If I didn't have a pretty good Latin background, though, I'm not sure how well I'd deal with the way grammar is handled. It's all done through examples in the story, then a section afterward, also in Latin, pointing out how different forms are used. The grammar is all there, but personally I long for a nice, clear explanation in English with an accompanying vocabulary list.

However, it is secular, there's a cd available with classical pronunciation, there are companion books that do cover grammar explicitly (I think one is called the College Companion, and I may need to get it...), there are extra books of stories that my daughter will probably get for Christmas. That's how much she enjoys this book. She's saying she may want to teach Latin when she grows up, and she's really getting pretty good with it. I'll take some inconvenience for that sort of result.

I don't know how much the immersion experience has to do with her success, but I do think the enjoyment of the stories is critical. The plot lines are just more interesting and, over time, more involved then in the standard textbook, and we've focused on reading, not on the exercises, though there are plenty available in an extra book (the Exercitia). I guess we're taking an interest-led approach, maybe? Stories first, picking up grammar as needed along the way. And the beauty of this book is that it can work that way.

I am so glad to hear of someone else loving this book.  DD14 thinks it is hilarious.  I did not know there was a cd that went along with it.  SHe is studying it online, but a cd would be nice when she is reading ahead for homework.

In her class they read and attempt to translate a portion of the chapter ahead of time, then in class they do the actual translation and review vocab and grammar that applies to the reading.  They have not used the exercitia yet but it was required for the course so I am sure that is coming up, they have just been doing the pensums at the end of each chapter and have to email their answers to the teacher for grading so she can get a better look at what they are doing. I am thinking of getting the college companion so I can self teach with that book, I am learning way more sitting next to her doing homework than when I have used other things to teach my other kids, apparently it works for my learning style :) 

I am so glad to hear of someone else loving this book.  DD14 thinks it is hilarious.  I did not know there was a cd that went along with it.  SHe is studying it online, but a cd would be nice when she is reading ahead for homework.

In her class they read and attempt to translate a portion of the chapter ahead of time, then in class they do the actual translation and review vocab and grammar that applies to the reading.  They have not used the exercitia yet but it was required for the course so I am sure that is coming up, they have just been doing the pensums at the end of each chapter and have to email their answers to the teacher for grading so she can get a better look at what they are doing. I am thinking of getting the college companion so I can self teach with that book, I am learning way more sitting next to her doing homework than when I have used other things to teach my other kids, apparently it works for my learning style :) 

Yes, I agree about finding someone else enjoying this book (can't figure out how to quote just one line :001_smile:).

That's why I chimed in after you mentioned it. It's not a common choice, but sometimes it seems to fill the right niche.

I have only seen the Amazon preview of Getting Started With Latin, and I recommend anyone interested do the same. The approach is to use very short lessons to build a foundation of underlying concepts. An older child, or the parent for that matter, could conceivably blow through several lessons walking backwards in a handstand. In fact, the first six lessons if taken together constitute what I would consider a single short lesson. You and your child would therefore work out the level of granularity for yourself. (I do have a slight grumble that it specifies that the ecclesiastical pronunciation uses the rolled 'r', whereas in fact it is rolled in classical pronunciation as well.) You don't have to buy a CD because the audio is available free online, though that's kind of dicey because the reader frequently pronounces short vowels as long.

My view, in general, is that you want to get to Lingua LatÄ«na per SÄ“ IllÅ«strÄta as soon as possible. You can buy an audio CD with that which has the most consistent pronunciation aid I've yet found, and I'm impressed with its approach to building familiarity through reading. You can supplement it with other readings, including ones like Colloquia PersonÄrum or FÄbulae Syrae, which are designed as supplements to that text, though you may find much on Google Books to serve as a source of potted reading material, (the keyword 'gradatim' helps). The more you read the better.

Our sequence, from that age, has been Getting Started With Latin, then Latin Prep 1-3. Ds, who is just 12, is about halfway through level 2 and I hope to finish 3 by the end of his eighth grade year. However, I am supplementing with some of the exercises at the end of Wheelock's for extra practice, which he needs.LP does not emphasize pronunciation and I honestly don't know which the book recommends! There are no recordings, obviously. Since it is not a religious program, I assume it uses classical pronunciation, but really, I don't know.

Latin Prep offers a pronunciation CD. I own it :)

My 3rd grader is using GSWL, which I love. My 5th grader is using LP1. He did PL and LC1, but Memoria Press just wasn't a great fit for us so we switched this year and are really, really happy with it. I also keep Wheelock's around for extra reference.

I have only seen the Amazon preview of Getting Started With Latin, and I recommend anyone interested do the same. The approach is to use very short lessons to build a foundation of underlying concepts. 

Imo, that's what makes it so brilliant. It takes would could be a daunting subject and makes it friendly. It's not a super in-depth course, which is why people refer to it as an intro, but by the time you are done with it, you have a foundational vocabulary and a firm grasp of the first and second conjugations. It's a great launch pad.

I'm with Violet Crown....Artes Latinae w/o question.   I bought it based on Kathy in Richmond's recommendation and wished I had done so yrs earlier for my older kids.   My older kids used Latin Prep or SYRWTLLatin and it just isn't as thorough.   My 9th grader has followed the LP series with a quick overview of Wheelock's using Signum University's Latin course packs.  (she has finished their level 1 and has started level 2.   Level 1 covers something like the first 21 chpts of Wheelock's.)    She is understanding things much more clearly with Wheelock's teaching and my understanding is that AL is very similar to it.   (my 6th grader has been using AL since the beginning of last yr and absolutely LOVES it and has a very strong understanding of Latin.)

My view, in general, is that you want to get to Lingua LatÄ«na per SÄ“ IllÅ«strÄta as soon as possible. You can buy an audio CD with that which has the most consistent pronunciation aid I've yet found, and I'm impressed with its approach to building familiarity through reading. You can supplement it with other readings, including ones like Colloquia PersonÄrum or FÄbulae Syrae, which are designed as supplements to that text, though you may find much on Google Books to serve as a source of potted reading material, (the keyword 'gradatim' helps). The more you read the better.

I agree that Lingua Latina has the best pronunciation. I just don't think this program is for everyone because some kids do not seem able to extrapolate the grammar. My oldest used it and it was great for her as long as she used a lot of supplements, and not just those provided by Focus. An online class provided the best structure for this but was the most time consuming to the point that it crowded out other subjects. When we had to continue Lingua Latina without a class, the results were not nearly as good. This is why I decided to start with the First Form series with my second one, so that she could get some systematic grammar under her belt and make an easier transition to Lingua Latina when she reaches the high school years. I knew with the structure of the First Form series that I could jump into at any time to help, where I was not able to do that with my oldest and had to be more dependent on dh's schedule.

Dh has taught from Lingua Latina for about seven years full time in a high school. It's his favorite Latin program and feels his students who have used it do better than those who used the program the school used earlier, but they are in class with him everyday and he provides a lot of additional supports.

We know people who have worked through the first Lingua Latina book on their own successfully, so it's very possible, but they have been highly motivated, bright, older students. We also know kids who really struggled with Lingua Latina and were unable to finish because they didn't have a teacher to meet with them regularly enough, and dh had to jump in to try to salvage their Latin credit. I guess that could happen with any Latin program, though.

We are beginning with GSWL and I second the strong recommendations.  We teach each lesson first from Latin-English, then do from English-Latin.  As we move through the book I've found it useful to do an explicit vocabulary review before the lessons, esp. of more recently-learned vocabulary, so A. can focus on the translations and not so much recalling the vocabulary per se. 

I also like that this can be done entirely orally.  And it is very portable -- I can shove the book in my pack and do Latin at the park or wherever.  Probably not an issue for the OP, but very nice when there are preschoolers in the mix! 

I have a question: if one went from GSWL to Artes Latinae, what would be an ideal supplement/rounding out of AL?  Would Lingua Latina be appropriate to add at some point; or Cambridge stuff; or on to Wheelock's?  Our ideal goal would be fluent reading and also fairly fluent writing/producation on appropriate topics (history, literature). 

I have a question: if one went from GSWL to Artes Latinae, what would be an ideal supplement/rounding out of AL? Would Lingua Latina be appropriate to add at some point; or Cambridge stuff; or on to Wheelock's? Our ideal goal would be fluent reading and also fairly fluent writing/producation on appropriate topics (history, literature).

I really wouldn't know; composition wasn't one of our goals. Our chief goals were being able to read Latin literature, and comprehension of the Traditional liturgy. With Great Girl, we supplemented with Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin, and right now Middle Girl is "supplementing" with learning the mass prayers in Latin.

Imo, that's what makes it so brilliant. It takes would could be a daunting subject and makes it friendly. It's not a super in-depth course, which is why people refer to it as an intro, but by the time you are done with it, you have a foundational vocabulary and a firm grasp of the first and second conjugations. It's a great launch pad.

Yes, this.  We do anywhere from one lesson to five in a day, depending on everyone's mood and what else is going on that day.  I really like that it gives some practical Latin; my DD wants to know how to compose sentences in a language, doggone it, and GSWL helped her do that.  Other kids may enjoy songs and fun stuff to introduce them to a language, but that wasn't DD's goal, and GSWL was perfect for her.  (And tbh, you can't beat the price -- Kindle version is only $10, book is only $20, plus free audio -- great way to try Latin!)  

I have a question: if one went from GSWL to Artes Latinae, what would be an ideal supplement/rounding out of AL? Would Lingua Latina be appropriate to add at some point; or Cambridge stuff; or on to Wheelock's? Our ideal goal would be fluent reading and also fairly fluent writing/producation on appropriate topics (history, literature).

I don't think AL needs supplementing. According to Kathy in Richmond, finishing AL is supposed to be the equivalent of finishing Wheelock's.

Here are some links where Kathy describes what she did after AL. And a link to all sorts of Latin readers, etc.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/484439-after-artes-latinae/?p=5137491

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/212054-bolchazy-traditional-readers/

http://www.bolchazy.com/

HTH

Latin Prep has a pronunciation guide at the beginning of book 1.  It's classical.  There are audios available to go with the course.

L

We loved Getting Started With Latin. While the first several lessons go quickly (because you're only learning one word/concept at a time), we slowed down pretty soon after that and did one lesson per day through most of the book. It was just right for my 8 year old at the time. This year, we're using Lively Latin (and her e-mail system doesn't always work well), and my 9 year old loves it. He likes that there is history integrated into it.

AL looks great also. Didn't HSBC have a sale on it at some point? I could see using that later with my son. Right now, I'm not wanting computer instruction yet, as he's so young.