Menu

After artes latinae

Artes Latinae only has two levels. They cover not only all of Latin grammar, but also a hefty intro to reading Caesar and other classical authors.

After ds and I finished AL, we spent a year on Henle 3, Excelability, & Amsco Latin 3/4 (the latter two for grammar review).

You could also go through a selection of Legamus transition readers (see Bolchazy Carducci's website) that were written for this stage. Or you could take an online Latin 3 class from a provider like Lone Pine or Lukeion.

Following that third year, my son was more than ready for AP Latin.

My younger dd is using AL and I am planning on her following the same path her older sister is doing currently.   Her older sister used Latin Prep and SYRWTLLatin.

We purchased Signum Universities coursepaks for Latin 1 and 2.

They are biweekly lectures by a college professor going through Wheelock's.   She is using them as a grammar review prior to jumping into Latin readings.    We started school 3 weeks ago and she has already made it through the first 9 lectures of Latin 1 (there are only 12).   But, she said that he is a good teacher and that it is nice to hear things explained from a slightly different perspective from the way she learned and that it is also broadening her vocabulary. 

After she finishes Wheelock's, which we anticipate will be sometime this semester, we are going to switch focus to prose.   There are a lot of readers to choose from.   Bolchazy has different approaches to readers as well.  

Just spend some time reading their site to find what appeals to you. 

We also have Excelability http://www.amazon.com/Excelability-Advanced-Entrance-Placement-Examinations/dp/0865165122

and http://www.galorepark.co.uk/product/home_schoolers/1002/latin-practice-exercises-level-3.html

HTH

OK.....this is really, really weird b/c the post that I wrote and what is appearing are not the same thing.   It is deleting sections of my post???   Very strange. 

My younger dd is using AL and I am planning on her following the same path her older sister is doing currently.   Her older sister used Latin Prep and SYRWTLLatin.

Question for you...are you planning to have her stop working out of Artes Latinae at some point?

AL and Wheelocks both cover a typical Latin 1 and 2 syllabus, and the full AL program is much deeper than SYRWTTL.

Question for you...are you planning to have her stop working out of Artes Latinae at some point?

AL and Wheelocks both cover a typical Latin 1 and 2 syllabus, and the full AL program is much deeper than SYRWTTL.

I hadn't planned on it, but she is only 1/2 way through AL 1, so I am probably lacking in big picture.

I hadn't planned on it, but she is only 1/2 way through AL 1, so I am probably lacking in big pictur

If she likes learning that way (and it sounds like she does), I'd just keep on going through Artes Latinae. The first half of level 1 is gentle, but it ramps up through the rest of level 1 and especially in level 2. As long as you use all the components (text, reader, TM, grammar guide, tests) and take your time, you'll be fine!

I had both AL and Wheelock's on my shelf when my son and I began Latin. Both of us decided that AL was more our style. (My dd, on the other hand, much preferred Henle when she started a few years later.)

Ds earned perfect scores on NLEs (levels 3/4 & 5/6) and 5s on both AP Latins after using AL. We attributed his results to the solid foundation provided by AL. It doesn't lack anything & is ideal for certain kinds of kids. It goes further than most curricula due to a multitude of authentic readings in year 2. For instance, you read a big chunk of Caesar's Gallic Wars in the original in AL year 2. In Henle year 2, you read a similar set of excerpts from Caesar, but in adapted (easier) Latin. In SYRWTLL, you don't read much of anything at all.

I found Wheelocks to work better as a review book for me. There are others who've had a completely different experience.