Menu

Scented candles! How many do you own and what scents?

6packofun

Every fall I get a new round of candles.  I just love burning them this time of year.

So, share your candle scents!  LOL

I have Yankee Candles, mainly.  I have:

Kitchen Spice (fruit and spice)

Farmer's Market (also fruit and spice)

Christmas Eve (um, I think this is also fruit and spice)

Jack Frost (vanilla and peppermint)

Napa Valley Sun (fruity and a little musky)

Apple Pumpkin (self-explanatory)

I want:

Lavender Vanilla (floral-vanilla)

Lake Sunset (hard to describe...clean light fruit and floral)

I've been toying with the idea of trying to make scented candles, but haven't stopped buying incense yet so haven't got around to it. The only one I have here is half a pine scented candle I bought, left over from last Christmas.

Gotta make a candle for Beltane soon. I wonder what scent a Beltane candle should be...

Do beeswax candles count as scented? I have some of them.

I have a vanilla one and a clean scented one (sage citrus?) that I like, but I know far too many people who say that scented candles make them feel ill so I haven't used them in years. I don't want to be responsible for giving a friend a migrane.

Yeah, that would be our family. :sad:   My husband and son get really sick around any sort of scented anything.  When we moved a few years ago, it seemed like everyone gave us scented candles as going away gifts - even people who knew about the allergies!  Maybe they thought candles would "work" for us in a different state.  One friend of mine was very happy to receive them all!   

But I simmer lemon or orange peels, or cinnamon and cloves!  ;)  

I have loved scented candles since childhood!  These days, I use only soy candles, free of phthlates.  Vanilla, citrus, and florals.  Nothing heavy.  Only exception to the soy candles are natural beeswax.  Rosie, those certainly count, for they have a most pleasing aroma!

I really like the soy ones in small glass jars at Target.  I am fairly sensitive and they don't really bother me.  I love Heritage Pumpkin and Nordic Pine. I also like the ones from Aveda but cannot remember the scent right now.  Aveda scents don't bother me either.  They told me it was because they don't contain petroleum.

This year I bought Scentsy wax instead of candles. I've never tried them before, and it's kind of fun. The scents I got are:

Pumpkin Roll

Iced Pine

Cinnamon Vanilla

Perk Me Up (Coffee-ish)

and some cranberry spice scent

Love holiday smells!

Yankee CiderWeb is a fall favorite here. (mainly apple with a light fall scent)

Yankee Autumn Wreath is burning right now.  (mainly fall with a light apple scent)  

Gardenia candles in my room. I don't light them because it is too strong, so they only give off a hit of a scent.

Colonial Summer Linen  or Ocean scented candles in the bathrooms all year.  Again, rarely lit, just for a hit of scent.

I also have several D L and Co brand candles. Thorn Apple, Black Dahlia and another that I can't remember.  I don't burn them often because they are expensive but Ohhhh so amazing!  They make my house smell like a high end import shop.

For Spring I usually keep something lemon scented for when I am cleaning.  I tossed it a few weeks ago so I don't remember the name.  There wasn't enough to justify keeping it for next year.

In the cabin I keep Cranberry Soy candles.  The combination of wood burning and that candle is phenomenal to walk into. 

This year I bought Scentsy wax instead of candles. I've never tried them before, and it's kind of fun. The scents I got are:

Pumpkin Roll

Iced Pine

Cinnamon Vanilla

Perk Me Up (Coffee-ish)

and some cranberry spice scent

Love holiday smells!

Oh, Cinnamon Vanilla sounds heavenly to me!  Are the wax for melting in a burner or something like that?

Do most people who feel sick from scents have that reaction only to synthetics? Or to essential oils too?

I don't buy synthetic scents. One of my little snobberies. :p

You know, I don't have an answer to that.  Synthetics for sure, but my two allergy people react to some natural/essential oils too.   I can't quite figure them out.  Well, eucalyptus is one.  Actually I react to that one too.  Our dermatologist practice has one office we can't visit, because the aesthetician uses a lot of eucalyptus products. 

Last year at a flower show I bought a box of mixed soaps with various (all natural) scents.  Every one of them made the men sick.  My daughter and I were so sad.  (She is at the age where nicely-scented things are very appealing to her.)   She bought some scented candles at IKEA for the table next to her bed. She doesn't burn them, but they have enough scent that she can smell it.

We have some battery-operated fake candles with a very faint vanilla scent that are OK.

Do most people who feel sick from scents have that reaction only to synthetics? Or to essential oils too?

I have one friend who gets terrible headaches from any strong scent. It doesn't matter what the source is.  My mom has a variety of seasonal candles and it reminds me of home, so it makes me a little sad that I can't burn them any longer. But, I also don't want to make people uncomfortable in my home.

I used to love candles. Yankee and Colonial were my favorite brands and I had them burning most of the day for aromatherapy. Then a few years ago, I had my air conditioner serviced. When the guy cleaned my coils, he said they were especially dirty (black!) and specifically asked me if I burn a lot of candles. When I said yes, he said that the houses where people burned candles had the dirtiest coils. Well, all I could think about was our lungs. :(

So, anyway, I do not want to be a downer on this thread, but I am wondering about "clean burning" candles. Is it the petroleum that produces the sooty black build-up? Are there safe brands? I would love to get the wonderful aromas back, but without the possible risk.

Oh, Cinnamon Vanilla sounds heavenly to me! Are the wax for melting in a burner or something like that?

Yup! I bought a burner at walmart. They have wax, too, but I guess it isn't as good or something.

I probably have 30 candles, mostly Bath and Body Works.  Yankee's don't perform well for me. I have loads of tarts from online vendors. There is a huge online market of small vendors that make tarts and other wax items. Most have facebook groups where you can get sales info and interact with the owners. Lots of choices out there!

http://candlesfromthekeepingroom.com/

http://www.orchidlakecandles.com/

http://frontporchcandleco.com/

http://www.tarascandlecottage.com/index.php

http://www.tiffanycandles.com/

http://www.streetmancandles.com/opencart/index.php?route=common/home

Awesome!  Thank you for sharing these.  :)

Guest inoubliable

None now. I used to have a serious Yankee addiction. Living in Williamsburg near the Yankee Candle store was bad bad bad. 
These days I have major allergy issues with them. 

At Xmas time my mom or sister usually sends me some scented candle from a local place in Williamsburg. I still have more than half of the candle they sent last year. 
I love the look of a candle burning at my table on an autumn or winter day, but the scents can really do wonky things to me. 

Patty Joanna, you recommended this last year and I have been ordering from them. Fabulous beeswax candles, fabulous service. Lovely all around!

Thank you.

To the original question, I burn a variety of beeswax candles and I often use the last little bit of wax to melt in my candle warmer. You can also use water and essential oil in the top part instead of a piece of wax or other wax melts.

mmm - right now I have (all yankee):

Harvest

Macintosh

Pumpkin Spice

Ciderweb

I like a bunch of the Christmas-y ones in the winter, but sparkling cinnamon is my favorite and always gets me into the Christmas spirit

Sage and Citrus is my go-to spring and summer candle and one medium jar will usually last me from march-september.

My son claims he used to get headaches from my Yankee Candles Vanilla scent,(he never said anything to me at the time,) but his wife burns the YK Pumpkin spice and he's fine. I would think they both would have synthetic scents in them.

Maybe he just likes his wife better than me,  :huh:

... I have loads of tarts from online vendors. There is a huge online market of small vendors that make tarts and other wax items. Most have facebook groups where you can get sales info and interact with the owners. Lots of choices out there!

Thanks for posting this!  I have a scentsy warmer that I received as a gift, but the wax melts are so expensive - even a local gal wanted to charge me postage.  So I just ordered several small-batch scents from two different vendors.  I'd much prefer to support an individual craftsperson than a big corporate MLM anyway.

Funny you should post this - I just bought 2 new candles yesterday.

Gold Canyon Candless - "Warm Welcome" and "Salted Caramels" - they smell divine!

I also used to love the Bath & Bodyworks "Clove something" but they discontinued it. :( 

My favorite cheapie option is from Walmart - "Hazelnut Cream".

My sil sent me a Yankee candle last year that I loved - "Home for the Holidays" - it brings me back to Christmases when I was a kid.

I love scented candles!

Bill! We are all aware of your purist attitudes. Surely you have a few nice, natural beeswax candles tucked away somewhere?

Beeswax candles are quite nice. And Mrs Spy Car had/has a beeswax candle that is scented with natural lemon verbena essence that is pleasant. But the Yankee candles are overwhelming and very artificial smelling. Are you familiar?

Bill

Beeswax candles are quite nice. And Mrs Spy Car had/has a beeswax candle

Pleased to hear it.

that is scented with natural lemon verbena essence that is pleasant.

Ugh! To me, lemon verbena smells like toilet cleaner. But whatever tickles your fancy... :p

But the Yankee candles are overwhelming and very artificial smelling. Are you familiar?

Happily not. Walking down the washing detergent aisle of the supermarket is experience enough of artificial scents for my dainty, snobbish nose! 

The only scented candles I have are from Bath and Body Works. I love, love, love the "Leaves" scent. I have 6 large single wick candles in decorative acorn jars, 6 small decorative acorn jars, and four large 3 wick candles - all in the "Leaves" scent. I love the smell - it's so holiday like!