Menu

10 Books in an Underground Bunker

Hunter

I know you all like these challenges. Here's the scenario:

A Nuclear bomb is about to go off, Your neighbor has an underground shelter, He will shelter you and your family if you will homeschool his children, He says you can only bring 10 books to school your and his children, K-10. Things will be tight down there. This will be for 1-3 years.

No Kindles. Just hardcopy books. No multivolumes, but answer keys if slim don't have to be counted. A couple of the books can be really big books, but not all of them, and they have to be really good ones. The neighbor is pretty strict. Getting 10 likes is equivalent to the neighbor saying yes.

• Like 6

1. Writing Road to Reading
  2. Kingfisher history encyclopedia (or similar)
  3. Usborne science encyclopedia (or similar)
  4. The Riverside Anthology of Children's Literature
  5. Norton Anthology of World Literature
  6. Norton Anthology of American Literature
  7. Lial's Basic College Math 
  8. Saxon Algebra 1
  9. Saxon Algebra 2
  10. Bible

The anthologies are comprehensive but not physically large (esp. the Nortons).  They're essential, though, because the idea of 3 years with limited reading gives me the vapors ;)  Also, IIRC from college, the Nortons include some historical and biographical background for the authors represented there.  So, it supports the study of history, too.

I think the Saxon Algebra books have geometry integrated into the lessons, so no need for a separate geometry text.  I think that Basic College Math covers all arithmetic topics.

Fun challenge, Hunter :)

Phonics: Webster's Speller

Math: I've never seen Lial's Basic College Math, but I am under the impression it would cover those age ranges.

Bible

That's all I have.

Those (well, an arithmetic book, not Lial's)  and maybe a story book of Saints is what many early American settlers brought with them.

• Like 1

I am assuming we would have a large box of supplies? Dry erase boards/markers, some notebooks/pencils/pens???

I could use those to teach spelling/writing/penmanship/math for most of the lower grades.

No books needed for basic reading instruction.

So for books:

Kingfisher science

Kingfisher History

Norton anthology of world lit also

the way things work (for physics/mechanics/history)

1 basic college math text

1 algebra book (if we are talking nuclear war I think you would be ok stopping there)

Kingfisher Geography encyclopedia

20th century Children's book Treasury

Maybe a biology book?

Also 2 religious studies book, but they are paperback and thin, so not sure it would count.

If I could pick one more it would be a poetry anthology.

• Like 2

I think a supply of blank 3x5 cards would be useful (reading/vocab/math facts, and then could be reused for younger kids) and say a limited # of notebooks per kid. A pencil sharpener and a box of pencils per kid. Some markers (permenant) and a dry erase board and markers or chalkboard and chalk for each kid. (chalk might be better, except for the dust. If you are living in a bunker with recycled air, that dust could clog stuff up. But the markers might go dry. I use about 4-6 3 packs a year, so for 3 years I might store 3 dozen markers for 4 kids.)

History/Science/Lit even spelling could be done orally. As well as some math. 

• Like 1

Well Educated Mind doesn't include the stories themselves right?

The owner of the shelter has all the survival stuff taken care of. :-) And will teach the children what they need to know to survive.

I've redone my list several times, as I peel back the layers of what this would actually be like.

Many geography topics would become obsolete, and those that didn't become obsolete, wouldn't be interesting while underground with no access to seasons or daylight. What would useful and what would matter inside, and then later outside the bunker?

I personally wouldn't pack markers or chalk. I might do sand. In ancient times they used to write on wax and then melt it flat in the evening. I think I personally would pack some pencils and paper only. And use a lot of homemade flashcards and oral work. I make flashcards with paper instead of index cards all the time.

I would take the Easy Hymn Fake Book, and a harmonica, to teach the students to sing by sight. The hymns are the easiest to learn with and the tunes are very simple and familiar.

I would love a Riverside Anthology, but the Arbuthnot one is cheaper, so I'd probably have to go with that.

With limited paper, I think I would just bring Aufmann Basic College Math, and only teach that for math, and go for speed and accuracy rather than moving onto algebra.

I'd definately bring The Columbia Encyclopedia and the Life Application Bible NKJV Large Print leather.

I'd like to bring the Drawing Textbook, but don't think I could afford the paper. But maybe one small drawing a day would be a real treat.

I'm thinking a Complete Shakespeare would be good, because the children could act out the plays. Shakespeare has mattered to people through revolutions, world wars, and half a millenium of horrors. I've been thinking how much some literature wouldn't matter anymore to some people.

I'm still thinking about this.

Since I normally try to find books that don't hurt my hands to hold I am having huge problems thinking of titles! Lol Sorry for the weird spacing -- it doesn't seem to want to post a list.

I think good science textbooks are vital in this case so...not sure which ones but they need to be chunky!

1) Biology -- maybe Campbells

2) Chemistry

3) Physics

Literature Anthologies -- partly for entertainment

4) World

5) British

6) Bible -- either the ESV study Bible or a good chronological one

Math

7) Lials College Math sounds good

8) Lials Calculus with applications ( touches on many topics)

History -- once again this needs to have a bit of entertainment value

9) Churchill's History of English Speaking People -- ours has 4 volumes but.......

10) Modern History to explain why -- this is what we are doing now for history and I haven't found one I love, Oxford has an OK one

Those are my 10 books by topic. Now I need titles!

I'm a first year homeschoolers so I reserve the right to change my mind! Lol

1. Usborne or Kingfisher Encyclopedia of World History

2. The American Odyssey

3. Usborne or Kingfisher Encyclopedia of Science

4. Kingfisher Encyclopedia of Geography

5. Anthology of English Literature

6. Anthology of American Literature

7. A math book that teaches me how to teach math for elementary... Something like Big Book of Math.

8. A math book that teaches me how to teach math for the middle-high school years... Something like Big Book of Math.

9. ?

10.?

I'm glad I don't have to pick just 10! Lol

• Like 1

I think maybe this:

Life Application Bible, NKJV large print leather

Alpha-Phonics

SCM's Mathematics: An Instrument for Living Teaching

Aufmann Basic College Math

The Columbia Encyclopedia

Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary

Riverside Anthology of Children's Literature

* undecided

Complete Shakespeare

Easy Hymn Fake Book and a harmonica

EDIT: removed Riverside Anthology of Literature.

Can Simply Grammar be done all out loud without paper? Maybe, I would substitute one of the books for Simply Grammar.

For those of you wanting modern foreign language with pronunciation support that doesn't require audio support I like and have used successfully:

Say it Right in ...

Berlitz Self-Teacher: ...

Well, I think the whole time I was down there I would be thinking about how I miss those FIAR books. So maybe I would need a book on how to combat depression! LOL

1) KJV

2) CHOW

3) OIS

4) Strayor Upton PA bk 1 (with pan of sand)

5) Strayor Upton PA bk 2

6) Herbal reference book (with stash of basic herbal needs)

7) ?? Not sure what science I would bring ??

8) PLL

9) ILL

10)

If I think of the rest I'll get back with you. Maybe a US history book --I really don't like US history. Too riddled with lies.  Hunter, your challenges are fun!

I was thinking about this last night as I was waiting to drift off to sleep. If he has rations for that many people for a year, we have a lot of room. Also, if it was a nuclear bomb, the soil is most likely contaminated beyond growing something for quite a while....

Anyway, while pondering all of this I remembered how hard it was for me through each of my bed rests and RSVP lockdowns (when I couldn't go out at all because I had to protect preemie baby or when my older daughter was going through chemo...)

It was very hard on me visually. I was so used to going places and seeing different things.

I think under my revised list I'd drop prealgebra as I am confident in teaching it and I'd pick up History of Art or Sister Wendy instead so that we'd have beautiful paintings to look about. Both also support history and bible study.

• Like 5

I was thinking about this last night as I was waiting to drift off to sleep. If he has rations for that many people for a year, we have a lot of room. Also, if it was a nuclear bomb, the soil is most likely contaminated beyond growing something for quite a while....

Anyway, while pondering all of this I remembered how hard it was for me through each of my bed rests and RSVP lockdowns (when I couldn't go out at all because I had to protect preemie baby or when my older daughter was going through chemo...)

It was very hard on me visually. I was so used to going places and seeing different things.

I think under my revised list I'd drop prealgebra as I am confident in teaching it and I'd pick up History of Art or Sister Wendy instead so that we'd have beautiful paintings to look about. Both also support history and bible study.

Prariewindmomma, you are SO right. Rations would take up a LOT of room! Even if it was dried wheat, milk and beans, then it would need more water and fuel. Okay, so I didn't think out the scenario out too well. :-)

You are also so right about the need for an art history book. I'm not at home, but I think I do have a Sister Wendy book somewhere. I'll have to look at it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm glad people are enjoying this thread. It's been really good for me. It's forced me to think more deeply about a few things. What matters and is truly lasting through any situation. What can be done without using so much paper. What it would be like to be totally cut off, and what would nourish at a time like that.

• Like 1

Wrtr or opgtr (wish I didn't need handholding but I do)

Elementary math book

study bible

Hymnal (including confessions, prayers, creeds)

Living memory

Big art book like Sister Wendy's (great idea!)

History atlas

Shakespeare?

Children's lit anthology

Latin grammar (we might actually get to it) is there an all inclusive volume? If not Essential Calvin and Hobbes

• Like 2

Oh! Fun!

1) Bible

2) Kingfisher Encyclopedia of World History

3) The Way Things Work

4) The Elements

5) Jacob's Elementary Algebra

6) Jacob's Geometry

7) Voyages in English 7 (old version!)

8) 20th Century Storybook Treasury

9) A literature anthology of some sort

10) 57 Stories of Saints

1) Writing Road to Reading

2) Madrigals Magic Key to Spanish

3) (almost any quality) Basic College Mathematics book, since it'll cover all the K-8th math, Mental Math drills and basic algebra and Geometry.

4) College level History text

5) Websters Dictionary/Thesaurus/Build your Vocabulary  combo pack

6) Three column Quran (With English, Spanish and Transliteration of Arabic into English)

7) A big book of Games/Songs/Stories

8) Introduction to Real Analysis/Proofs text Math

9) A Spanish Language Literature anthology
10) A College Level Physical Science textbook

I really had to work to come up with 7-10. I can always simplify a college level work, but its difficult to "beef up" a puny text book written for elementary students if you don't have a lot of content knowledge. I didn't bring anything for Geography because I figure that after a nuclear war many countries borders (existence?!) will be obsolete and be redrawn. I could easily teach them the 7 continents without a curriculum....

No kindles?? You're being way too strict. *pout*

How about an iPad? I can do a lot on a iPad. As long as I get electricity.

But after watching several episodes of Revolution, I'm afraid *they* will come and take away my beloved electricity some day. ;)

Fun challenge, Hunter!

1-3. Complete Calvin and Hobbes - 3 volumes

4. Good Dictionary

5. The Century (US History)

6. Understanding Writing

7. Abeka Grammar and Composition Handbook

8. College Algebra book (K-8 could be created with a basic scope and sequence)

9. Bible

10. Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

There isn't a specific science text, but science could be included from historical topics and dictionary entries.

• Like 1

There is no electricity down there. Sorry. I don't even know why. I just figured there isn't any. I'm no expert on nuclear wars and bunkers, as is glaringly evident.

Even in real life I have found tech to be disasterously unreliable when times get tough. If I'm mobile and can't carry around weight, I fight through to keep my tech up and going, but if I'm grounded I always stock up on hardcopies.

I adore my iPad mini, and am not using any hardcopy books at all right now. But for this challenge I too had to choose only hardcopy books.

Remember Magic Slates?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vintage-magic-slate

Iliad and Odyssey--1 volume edition

Riverside Anthology Shakespeare

Bible

A complete Bullfinches Mythology

OPGTR

History encyclopedia

Science encyclopedia

Poetry anthology

Art History collection (Sister Wendy type--this was an excellent idea!)

Math--not sure which here, I'd want something to cover pre-algebra, algebra and geometry, and maybe also a scope and sequence for k-7th. I am sure I would forget something if I didn't have a list.

And if there was room I'd bring a personal whiteboard and big box of dry erase markers, to save paper.

Also, OPGTR could be removed if I were allowed to make a crib sheet of all the phonics rules. If there were time before "the big boom" I'd likely fill a notebook with phonics, grammar and math basics, including those scope and sequences. Then I'd have room to add in another good science book. Still thinking about which would be the most relevant...

• Like 2

I had the same thought--I could clear so much space on my shelves if I had all that stuff in a notebook. I don't need all the scripting/exercises to teach phonics, grammar, or early math, just a nice S&S plus some lists. I can make up the exercises myself, but might forget to teach a certain vowel blend or whatever if it wasn't written down for me. Heck, with a list of phonics rules, I now have a spelling program laid out as well.

Why do I always think of these projects after summer break is over? :wacko:

• Like 1

I had the same thought--I could clear so much space on my shelves if I had all that stuff in a notebook. I don't need all the scripting/exercises to teach phonics, grammar, or early math, just a nice S&S plus some lists. I can make up the exercises myself, but might forget to teach a certain vowel blend or whatever if it wasn't written down for me. Heck, with a list of phonics rules, I now have a spelling program laid out as well.

Why do I always think of these projects after summer break is over? :wacko:

You have 9 months to make a list of what you want in your notebook and to pick out your journal. That sounds perfect.

I'm definitely need to start a crib notes notebook. I think I'm going to start a new thread about them.

EDIT: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/488182-crib-notes-notebook-so-10-books-in-bunker/

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a first year homeschoolers so I reserve the right to change my mind! Lol

Oh, honey! That privilege doesn't expire at the end of your first year!  :lol:

Fun topic. 

ETA: Yes, this is an old thread, but a rabbit trail got me here, all from a post of Hunter's. You people do that to me!

• Like 1

1. Bible, one volume interlinear with translation And transliteration preferably

2. A Handbook for Reading

3. I would hunt for a Little House on the Prairie omnibus, I hope such a thing exists

4. Grammar handbook

5. A general math overview text, nothing fancy

6. Hymn book

7. Sister Wendy

8. A beautiful book of photography - various landscapes, city scapes with people, etc. depicting outdoor life before the bomb

9. History encyclopedia

10. Science encyclopedia

Definitely need a slate or dry erase board.

• Like 1

1. Bible, one volume interlinear with translation And transliteration preferably

2. A Handbook for Reading

3. I would hunt for a Little House on the Prairie omnibus, I hope such a thing exists

4. Grammar handbook

5. A general math overview text, nothing fancy

6. Hymn book

7. Sister Wendy

8. A beautiful book of photography - various landscapes, city scapes with people, etc. depicting outdoor life before the bomb

9. History encyclopedia

10. Science encyclopedia

Definitely need a slate or dry erase board.

Little House omnibus? We bought one from Barnes & Noble. Has 5 books in it I believe

I think the What Your Grader Needs to Know Set would be the best bet for a situation like that. They would cover basic history, grammar, literature, science, art, music, poetry  and math for preschool to (what?) 6th grade. What they contain could be supplemented with oral storytelling and lessons. They could be used for copywork, oral and written narrations. Basically everything.

That's what... 8 books?

I feel the need to cheat a little because I would want a phonics primer---WRTR would be my main pick, and a dictionary. That would cover reading and spelling.

BUT I would also want a Bible. I'm not even overly religious but a Bible is a necessity for life in general imho. 

The Daring Books for boys and girls could be interesting and entertaining for the kids.

My oldest is only 5th grade so that's as far as I have thought ahead.

Honestly with just these books and some maps on the wall and a globe in the room ( a guitar as well) I could give a kid a good education.

Since I posted my list, I have learned about the Lincoln Library of Essential Information. I cannot afford this, though.

http://www.thelincolnlibrary.com/llessential.html

The older edition of What Your Grader Needs to Know is complete in 6 volumes. The issues like the Soviet Union not being dissolved yet, would be less pressing than they are now, so the old edition would be fine.

I know I don't like my old list right now, but don't know what I would bring.

Definitely a Bible, but I'm not sure which one. Probably Simply Grammar, because it would work so well orally and works well with applying grammar to better understanding scripture.

I have the Little House anthology and thought of that, but decided not to choose it, for something with more variety.

I recently read this article on conducting an oral narration. It's really good.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/2013/09/25/narration-auditory-speech-issues/

I'm going to switch my choices to agree with Wabi Sabi and Walking Iris.

The Original What Your _ Grader Needs to Know complete set, 1-6

Bible--Still not sure which one

How to Tutor

Composition in the Classical Tradition (can be done orally)

Easy Fake Hymn Book

I decided not to bring a dictionary, realizing there would be far less times I'd be reading a word I didn't know.

I decided not to stress over math, without enough paper to practice. There is some math in the the NtK books and HTT.

Only 10 books? For a person who owns more than 1000 books (after The Great Purge of 2012) this is tough. Here goes:

1. The Bible (Catholic Study Bible)

2. Lincoln Library of Essential Information (I would buy for this purpose)

3. Poetry Anthology (mix of mostly older and some contemporary poems)

4. History of Art book

5. Coffee table book of nature photography, from all biomes of earth

6. National Geographic Family Reference Atlas

7. When Children Love to Learn

8. Norton Literature Anthology

9. Math Mammoth printouts 1-6B plus 7 sheets and answer keys

10. Foerster's Algebra

• Like 1

I asked DH this last night he said he could only think of six.

His choices were:

1) Bible

2) founding of America documents: Declaration of Independence, constitution, bill of rights, etc

3) Boy Scout handbook

4) A brief history of time

5 the Art of War

6) the goal

I don't know the exact books I'd bring but I got a general idea of what

Bible

Dictionary bonus if it had etymology

Book with pretty pictures both photography and drawn painted etc

A book of animals

A book about history

Something like 20th century treasury

A math something

A grammar/writing something

A music something

• Like 1

Can I have one book that I make myself?  :-)  I feel confident teaching math without much guidance, but would not mind spiral binding the scope and sequences of a good math program through Calculus.  I'd also put in a S and S of a phonics books like Phonics Pathways, the flow charts from BFSU, and the S and S of a spelling program. 

So my list is:

1.  My homemade S and S book.

2.  An excellent dictionary, probably a English-French bilingual dictionary because we are bilingual.  The one I have gives word origins, has a section on Latin roots, as well as a good primer in the basic grammar of both languages. 

3.  An Art History book, as already mentioned. 

4.  A visual science guide, like Animals: The Definitive Encyclopedia

5.  A World History Encyclopedia, don't know which one

6.  Literature anthology, as mentioned by others

7.  Literature anthology, as mentioned by others, possibly one being for a younger audience, and one for an older audience

8.  Encyclopedia of Country Living, for basic homesteading skills

9.  The Baltimore Catechism

10.  An excellent study Bible. 

I know math in-and-of-itself would not be "useful" in a bunker, but really, no subject would be.  But the mental challenges of things like advanced math might keep people from totally losing it.  Every item on the list must be dual purpose- education value and entertainment value.  The education would become the new entertainment for the kids.  Telling them that they have to stop at pre-algebra might cause a mutiny!  Same thing with grammar.  I think when the choices are to do French grammar or stare at a cement wall, the kids will suddenly find grammar fascinating...

Above all, I would want a selection that illustrates Truth, Goodness, and Beauty.  In an underground bunker, one is likely to forget that these qualities exist in the world without cosntant reinforcement. 

Also, OPGTR could be removed if I were allowed to make a crib sheet of all the phonics rules. If there were time before "the big boom" I'd likely fill a notebook with phonics, grammar and math basics, including those scope and sequences. Then I'd have room to add in another good science book. Still thinking about which would be the most relevant...

I'm definitely need to start a crib notes notebook. I think I'm going to start a new thread about them.

EDIT: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/488182-crib-notes-notebook-so-10-books-in-bunker/

Can I have one book that I make myself?  :-)  I feel confident teaching math without much guidance, but would not mind spiral binding the scope and sequences of a good math program through Calculus.  I'd also put in a S and S of a phonics books like Phonics Pathways, the flow charts from BFSU, and the S and S of a spelling program. 

Yup, you get to write your own book! :-)

Since you said we'd be teaching grades K-10, and the situation might last up to 3 years, I went for books that would be most suitable for middle & high school, and figured I could teach the lower levels myself with these as a reference:

1. Longman Anthology of World Literature, Compact Edition ("compact" being relative — it's still 2880 pages, and includes The Iliad & Odyssey)

2. Wheelock's Latin (& a printout of the answer key)

3. Foerster's Algebra (& solutions)

4. Biology (Miller Levine, so I could use it with younger kids as well as high schoolers)

5. Conceptual Physical Science (Hewitt & Suchocky, ditto)

6. World History: Our Human Story

7. American Odyssey

8. Phaidon's enormous 30,000 Years of Art: Human Creativity Across Time & Space

9. National Geographic College Atlas of the World

10. Shorter Oxford English DIctionary

If I could squeeze in a few more books, I'd add The Complete Shakespeare, a good poetry anthology, and an anthology of children's stories for the younger ones.

If I could add some "enrichment" materials, I'd bring a large whiteboard and big box of white board crayons (won't dry out like markers); the largest set of Lyra Rembrandt colored pencils and the biggest fattest sketchbook I could find; a few musical instruments and a big book of music (would do double-duty for teaching music & sight reading as well as general entertainment).

• Like 1

10? Let's see

1. Complete Shakespeare

2. Stokstad's Art History 

3. Dolciani Pre-algebra

4. Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia 

5. Corbett's Classical Rhetoric (would devise writing assignments for the youngers from this)

6. DK History Encyclopedia

7. Stearn's World History Encyclopedia

8. The Iliad

9. The Odyssey

10. A Short History of Nearly Everything

• Like 1