Menu

Hehe, would you count Disney's Animal Kingdom as a school day?

Yes!  We have to count instructional days in our state and I always count our Epcot and Animal Kingdom days as "educational field trips".  They are educational, but Magic Kingdom or water park days - not so much.  No wonder I always wind up with well over 200 instructional days each year. 

If you are intentional about talking with the staff, then absolutely. We stayed at the AK lodge and the kids completed their amazing bead program. They got to use tracking devices, prepare food for the animals, and so much more. I love it when education is fun!

How would it differ to a zoo trip?  So it has Disney in the name and a few rides. It is the largest animal <theme> park in the world. Home to more than 1,700 animals across 250 species....sounds more educational  my local zoo does not have 1700 animals spanning 250 species (YMMV).

If you wanted to make an educational component to it. 

a. They could easily do a write-up on a few of the animals they saw.

b. Make a small scrapbook with some of the pictures and include key points.

c. Even with the rides, science at its best, defying gravity, loops and twist.

Yes.  We counted a day at Animal Kingdom and 2 days at Epcot(out of 10).  Make a special effort to talk to the staff and spend some time at Rafiki's Planet Watch.  My kids learned a lot.  The Flights of Wonder was educational, too.  I have been on many-a-school field trip where we had just a couple hours to see something slightly educational.  AK is so much more than an amusement park.