Menu

Why why why did I do it again??

Against my better judgement, I ordered from Rainbow Resource because they had free shipping on orders over $50. I saved about $7 over ordering from Christian Book.

Now, of course, I am kicking myself. Their shipping is SO. SLOW. It's like waiting for an ant to crawl around the world at the equator. It's like waiting for someone to bicycle to Proxima Centauri. It's like waiting for your teenager to get out of the shower when you have to pee really bad.

I checked tracking again this morning. My order has gone from the state just west of me to the state just east of me, gleefully hopping right over me and (I'm sure) laughing heartily at my distress.

Finally, finally, finally (I hope) I have realized that I simply. can't. order. from Rainbow Resource again. Ever. No matter how much money I save.

That is all.

For a savings of $7, it doesn't seem very worth it.

I know, I know, I know! *banghead* I KNEW I shouldn't have done it! I KNEW! I had orders in both carts for two days, dithering about what to do. We are now paying college tuition for my oldest, and I was trying to be thrify. I thought the $7 actually mattered.

I WAS WRONG!

It's time to buck up and pay for Amazon Prime.

*facepalm*

Wow, I have never ordered from RR, and posts like these make me wonder if I want to! For a savings of $7, it doesn't seem very worth it. I hope it gets to you soon!

If you need something fast, then no. But if you plan ahead and give yourself a little extra time (ha ha ha ha!!!), its fine. I usually have to go with Amazon's two day shipping.....

And it is Christian Book Distributors that I have the shipping problem with, not Rainbow. It is a two week wait when I order from them. But I think I am in the same zone as Rainbow.

Happy Amazon Prime user here, too! Yes, it's hard to pay that fee the first time. Will gladly pay it next year, though.

I ordered on August 6th. My order wasn't even given to their shipping partner (DHL) until August 15th, even though they said that most orders were getting out the door in two days (and my order was 4 workbooks, not anything huge or complicated). It then took another three days before the order was even processed by DHL, and now it's just been sent to UPS. If it arrives tomorrow (which is doubtful), it will be have taken 17 days. I think that's pretty ridiculous (even though I know other people have waited longer). And WHY did it take NINE DAYS to get my order to DHL in the first place?

Ugh!  I have a HUGE load in my cart with them right now.  They have been very slow for me in the past too and I'm very hesitant.  But, CBD doesn't even have several of the books I need...and neither does Amazon.  Plus, the shipping from CBD would be over $20 because it's 10% of the order.  So, I am hesitant, but going to do it.  *sigh*

I did just read the shipping section and it said that orders over $150 would be sent UPS.  Mine will be heavy too.  Hopefully that will be faster.......

Had this happen a few times with RR and now I shop exclusively CBD or Amazon for new items. I even can get better shipping from ebay sellers when I decide to shop used.

I am with you, no excuse for the order to take 9 days to get to the shipper if everything was available. Lamp post is another seller who takes the "whenever I get around to it attitude' with orders.

Ugh!  I have a HUGE load in my cart with them right now.  They have been very slow for me in the past too and I'm very hesitant.  But, CBD doesn't even have several of the books I need...and neither does Amazon.  Plus, the shipping from CBD would be over $20 because it's 10% of the order.  So, I am hesitant, but going to do it.  *sigh*

I did just read the shipping section and it said that orders over $150 would be sent UPS.  Mine will be heavy too.  Hopefully that will be faster.......

With CBD, call them and ask for free shipping. They give you a code for orders over $100.

I ordered on August 6th. My order wasn't even given to their shipping partner (DHL) until August 15th, even though they said that most orders were getting out the door in two days (and my order was 4 workbooks, not anything huge or complicated). It then took another three days before the order was even processed by DHL, and now it's just been sent to UPS. If it arrives tomorrow (which is doubtful), it will be have taken 17 days. I think that's pretty ridiculous (even though I know other people have waited longer). And WHY did it take NINE DAYS to get my order to DHL in the first place?

I DESPISE DHL. Any time company use them, I can guarantee my package will end up going the most backwards way to get here! It will be 30 minutes away and sent back to St. Louis. I think it is because it has to go back  through the post office.

Sounds like you had the problem on both ends though. 9 days to ship? That's terrible. Was something backordered? They have a tendency to hold the entire order until they have all the items when they offer free shipping.

RR is in my state and I get fast delivery.

I have great service from CB too! I always get free shipping codes for orders over $35! (on the back of the catalogs the send out) And they don't hold stuff to wait for the backorders.

I usually place a big order with them in March or so. Since the books are for the following fall, time isn't such a biggie. Otherwise, it is Amazon.

They have a policy that if one of your items is out of stock they will hold the entire order for 10? or 14? (can't remember) days. My order is almost always held. Argh! But their prices are good and they carry items that are unavailable at Amazon. They just aren't very speedy.

The last time my order contained a back ordered item they held the whole order for 5 days, then shipped my order without it. If you spend $10 to upgrade they won't hold your orders with back ordered items. But I didn't know if anything was back ordered or not yet so I didn't upgrade.

With CBD, call them and ask for free shipping. They give you a code for orders over $100.

Really.....That is very good to know!  It doesn't change the fact that there are several books I need that they don't carry. :( 

I usually place a big order with them in March or so. Since the books are for the following fall, time isn't such a biggie. Otherwise, it is Amazon.

They have a policy that if one of your items is out of stock they will hold the entire order for 10? or 14? (can't remember) days. My order is almost always held. Argh! But their prices are good and they carry items that are unavailable at Amazon. They just aren't very speedy.

It's 5 days they hold it according to what I just read on their site.

I don't "normally" (I say that in quotes because we are only in 2nd grade ;)) order anything at all this time of year.  We start July 1st and most of my stuff comes from MFW, who is fast. I order in the spring.  The reason I'm ordering now is because we are 7wks into our program and it's way too light.  We need more.  I never anticipated needing to order a ton of books to beef up our program.  My library stinks this year too.  (I've not had a problem with my library in the past.)  I placed my orders for the year back in April.  If I had known then what I know now...well...I would have used a different program and I would have ordered it in April.  :lol: 

I have ordered maultiple times for RR and never had a problem. Sometimes it took a week or so but the prices were worth it. Also, some of their prices are lower than Amazon in my experience. Sorry your experience is different.

This is my experience.  They do take a bit longer and sometimes things are sold out.  But their customer service has always been great and their prices are usually better.  You just need to know what you are dealing with.  I don't order from them right before school starts or if I'm in a hurry.

I don't order from them right before school starts or if I'm in a hurry.

That's the thing, though. If they are business like any other, why are there certain times of year we can't order from them if we expect reasonable shipping times? Amazon, CBD, any number of used book websites, and plenty of curriculum-specific sites (such RightStart Math, when I used them) are able to ship in a timely manner whenever you order from them. Why does RR have such unreliable shipping?

I have never had a problem with RR's shipping speed. I usually order a large box, but even small boxes get to me in under two weeks. That time frame is acceptable to me. I order in the spring things that we will be using in the fall.

I do have Amazon Prime. So, if it is one workbook or something I need in a couple of days and Amazon has it, I order it from them.

Mandy

I ordered in August last year and it took for.ev.er. to get here.  This year, I ordered in June (a massive, mammoth order) and it was here in under a week.  I was rather shocked, but very happy.  I think I just need to get my order in early again next year......if I'm ever this organized again....

We ordered from RR this year and got a notice that one of our items was backordered so they'd have to do the 5-day hold to wait for it...the policy itself didn't irk me, but what was a bummer was that we never got a shipping notification after that. So I waited the 5 business days, then six, then seven, thinking they still hadn't shipped. The package actually arrived maybe 8-10 business days after I ordered, but it felt really long because I was fretting that it wasn't ever going to ship. I should have just called and put myself out of misery!

That's the thing, though. If they are business like any other, why are there certain times of year we can't order from them if we expect reasonable shipping times? Amazon, CBD, any number of used book websites, and plenty of curriculum-specific sites (such RightStart Math, when I used them) are able to ship in a timely manner whenever you order from them. Why does RR have such unreliable shipping?

When I've ordered too close to school time, things have been sold out (I have the same problem with MUS). IDK why their shipping is slower. But I like saving money and my orders do get here in one piece so I keep shopping there. I just accept that that is how they are.

Speaking of Amazon Prime, I don't have it but the free Super Saver Shipping seems to ship as if I did. 

They use the 2-day tape on the box, and I've always gotten it within two days.  I guess so many people have prime, it isn't worth using the other tape.  Then the shippers give it priority because of the tape. 

I am cheap enough, that I can be patient if the shipping is free, so it amuses me when it gets to me fast. 

I also suspect my city has a larger than normal percentage of people that frequently order from Amazon and have prime. 

I LOOOOVE Amazon Prime. It is worth every penny to us. But, I still had to buy from RR. There are some things that Amazon simply doesn't carry. With the free shipping from RR it is sensible for me to order my SM books and AoPS and science stuff, and Critical Thinking Press etc from them. I can buy from individual publishers, but then I have to pay shipping on each item.

I feel your pain. I ordered a week ago and beyond the initial order confirmation email I haven't had any contact from them. I have no idea what is going on.

I've only ordered from Rainbow a handful of times. The reviews on this forum are so mixed! I order quite a bit from CBD, but I do have issues with their shipping and my orders getting here in one piece. What's funny, though, is that Rainbow had to re-send my last order because they didn't ship it well. (It was maps and they didn't put them in a box, but just between two sheets of cardboard.) I think my regional post office is the culprit, unfortunately. I have started calling my orders in to CBD and that seems to help some because they package it all a little better.

CBD does offer free shipping over $100 as others have said. My last order was a couple hundred dollars and they actually sent it UPS, for free. Yay! And I know you all are saying CBD doesn't have what you need, but I've found many times that Rainbow doesn't have what I'm looking for.

I love me some Amazon Prime, though. I ordered some Abeka books last week and they aren't supposed to get here until next week. I ordered some books from Amazon this morning, and they will be here tomorrow. Woot woot!

I always pay the $7 to upgrade shipping. RR gets to me way faster than Amazon. Even though I pay for prime, they don't honor it to Alaska. They use a really annoying 3rd party shipper that holds things in Hebron for several days before they even send it up to AK. If I order something oversized (giant bags if dog food, snow shovel, baby gate) they send it 2-day UPS though. That is nice! Little things take a couple weeks.

I think you should order in the spring next time.

I order when I need or want stuff, and I expect that they have reasonable, consistent shipping times. If they can't, they lose my business to a place/places that can.

This is not my first issue with RR shipping ... it just happens to be the most recent (and last, as I will never order from them again).

I love Rainbow Resource.  I usually save up and do a big order to save on customs fees.  It takes 1-2 weeks to arrive, but that is expected.  OP, I understand your frustration, but I also envy the free shipping and no customs fees that you enjoy:)

I just placed an order and I saw on Facebook that due to demand and school starting, they were shipping out orders without waiting for backorders.  I quickly contacted them and had them hold my order.  They found it before it shipped.  Yay!  I didn't want more customs fees when the thing I needed most was backordered.  

Hehehehe... i simply cannot relate

I ordered from them two weeks ago, but, because i live in australia, ill be lucky to see the package before october. Le sigh...

My last order from them came in 3 weeks!!  And that was after they held it for a backorder.  Three weeks!  I was doing a happy dance!  But you won't have it that fast this time of year. 

Americans are so spoiled with their cheap, fast shipping!  :001_tt2:

(Says this American who used to be spoiled with cheap, fast shipping but moved to Australia four years ago and now pays very much more for the privilege of slow shipping!)  :D

I order when I need or want stuff, and I expect that they have reasonable, consistent shipping times. If they can't, they lose my business to a place/places that can.

This is not my first issue with RR shipping ... it just happens to be the most recent (and last, as I will never order from them again).

Alrighty then. that is your prerogative. :) I have ordered from them several times at different times of year without issue. I mentioned the spring thing sort of tongue in cheek anyways. ;) I have yet to find anyone else who has a comparable inventory to RR. Also their prices are almost always lower. I have no experience with DHL I don't think we even have that around here. One other thing of note is you have to only count business days fro shipping, weekends do not count.