Menu

If you could...

Night Elf

I know this is going to sound kind of stupid and pathetic, but it wouldn't be a dream vacation if we didn't bring our ds with us. :blush:

That said, I don't really have a "dream destination," either. My dh would like us to go on an extended tour of Europe, so he could show ds all of his favorite places there, but I'm pretty happy going anywhere. :)

We just took a fabulous vacation together - a cabin in the middle of nowhere - no phones, no internet, no people, nothing.  We did have hot running water and a full kitchen.  My dh fished, I read & knit, we spent time together - it was absolutely the best vacation we've ever taken together.

Anne

I know this is going to sound kind of stupid and pathetic, but it wouldn't be a dream vacation if we didn't bring our ds with us. :blush:

That said, I don't really have a "dream destination," either. My dh would like us to go on an extended tour of Europe, so he could show ds all of his favorite places there, but I'm pretty happy going anywhere. :)

I was sort of thinking along the lines of a romantic tryst, which is why I said without the kids. I've focused more on being a mom for 21 years. I'd like to know what it's like to focus on being a wife, just for a little while, and before we reach retirement age. But my kids are older so I may be looking at this from a different perspective.

A short dream vacation would have less 6 hours travel time.  That limits us to mountains mostly.  A cabin in the mountains would be great.  Also, a multi-day rafting trip would be fun.  However, I have kids with terrible allergies so I'm not comfortable more than 2 hours away from them which still puts us in the mountains but with phone service.  A cabin in the mountains is always a good choice.  A beach would be better for me, but I'm happy in the mountains.

I was sort of thinking along the lines of a romantic tryst, which is why I said without the kids. I've focused more on being a mom for 21 years. I'd like to know what it's like to focus on being a wife, just for a little while, and before we reach retirement age. But my kids are older so I may be looking at this from a different perspective.

I think it would help to start smaller like a date in another town doing something fun together.  Go see a show or go to a museum or have lunch and take a walk in park.

Start remembering why it was you thought you could spend forever with this guy and looking at him as something more than just a partner in raising kids.    It is hard.  I have been a mom for over 21 years too.  I sometimes wake up and find it hard to remember that I am a person too and to think that I will have a life that won't be centered on kids anymore.  Someday. I am going to be able to wake up every morning without having to think about what I need to do for others in the morning.  I'm not nearly the same person I was 24 years ago and neither is my dh.    

I think it would help to start smaller like a date in another town doing something fun together.  Go see a show or go to a museum or have lunch and take a walk in park. 

Oh we do that already. My youngest is 15. I don't have to keep a strict eye on every little care like i did when the kids were younger. My kids don't think twice about me and DH going out alone. I'm talking about something like a 3-day vacation. My oldest is 21 and still lives at home. She would be fine being in charge for a few days, and my younger two wouldn't have a problem with it. I wouldn't bat an eye at going away for a few days. I just don't know where to go! I want to go somewhere where we could do something. We aren't beach people. We have been on one cruise and that was enough for me. We've been to the mountains and that was nice, but not something I feel drawn to again. I don't like touristy things usually. Really, we're boring people, but we're content. We don't feel we're lacking in anything. I just thought it would be fun to go away and do something.

I asked the question to see if others are like me, with no dream destination in mind. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I feel a little less boring in that respect. :)

Okay - so 3 days away.   I'm a beach person so my personal advice can't help, but we can help you think it through.  

How far are you willing to travel?  Make is list of places that are within that distance.

If you don't like beaches or mountains or tourist things, what about food, museums, shows?

We had a great time in New Orleans - I love Cajun and Creole food.  

Seattle was nice - great seafood and whale watching.

NY is is good for museums, shows and variety.

DC is fun and there are a lot of museums.

Yellowstone is wonderful - it has an amazing variety of outdoor things to see.

We've taken a 3 day guided river rafting trip.  The guide did all the cooking, cleaning and paddling.  It was fun and the food  was terrific.

I know this is going to sound kind of stupid and pathetic, but it wouldn't be a dream vacation if we didn't bring our ds with us. 

:iagree: and my dh would agree also. My dream vacation would include the UK and some other European destinations. I would also love taking the family on a driving tour of the US. One other place I would love to go would be New Zealand. 

I don't have a particular destination in mind. I wouldn't want to spend much time getting there -- no more than four hours or so.

Something with water -- either a beach or lake, or even a river -- would be nice. A swimming pool and hot tub would be wonderful.

Some place informal where I don't have to get dressed up much for meals. I'd like to not cook at all, but wouldn't mind having a small kitchen facility for making a simple breakfast or lunch at times.

A deck or balcony would be nice, especially if there was a chaise lounge for reading.

I wouldn't care much about TV, but I would like internet access.

For a short trip, with just DH and myself, I would love to go somewhere to see the Northern Lights. Not sure where that would be since I have not researched it, ha ha! A longer dream trip, with the kids: I would love to visit Scotland, Ireland, England, France... bah, I would love to take a month and travel abroad.