Menu

Every year I am asked this question...

mamajudy

One week before school starts. Without fail, someone will ask me, "What curriculum do you use?" And the question is usually asked right after church, as though I can answer them in 5 minutes! They are thinking about homeschooling this year and want to know how to do it! What?? You're just thinking about it now? I spent years before I ever started 23 years ago (when the only books in the public library about homeschooling were written by John Holt or Raymond and Dorothy Moore) researching the subject.

I would be happy to get together and give people guidance if they ask me, but for crying out loud! Homeschooling is a serious commitment - not something one does on a whim!

Haha! Well different people homeschool for different reasons and while its hard to believe that all or even most of them are doing it on a whim, its funny to think of people who seriously do it on a whim. . Could it be that you're the only or one of the few real life folks they know that are homeschooling so after looking into it, they want your opinion. Perhaps they don't know you well enough to approach you randomly or the church parking lot is the only place they ever see you. *shrug*.

Also, why don't you advertise some sort of HS-counceling/interest meeting/orientation workshop over the summer ahead of time? You could head some people off at the pass and have a legitimate reason for ogling curriculum. lol.

At least they ask after church as opposed to before or during. Lol. I could just imagine how such a conversation would go...

I think in quick conversations like you mention, a simple and quick answer will suffice.  I'd say something like, "Oh, this is my favorite subject and could spend hours discussing it, but we use a mix or abc."  That leaves the invitation to discuss it further, but can be enough for those just making small talk.

It sounds to me like that person is expecting a boxed curriculum answer. She is probably just waiting to hear you say bju or Abeka or something that would only take a second or two to say. I know whenever I start listing all the curriculum we use for people who ask me the same question, sometimes they look at me like I have 2 heads.

It sounds to me like that person is expecting a boxed curriculum answer. She is probably just waiting to hear you say bju or Abeka or something that would only take a second or two to say. I know whenever I start listing all the curriculum we use for people who ask me the same question, sometimes they look at me like I have 2 heads.

Or they really expect you to say the school district supplies the books. You would be amazed at how many people's minds have been blown when they realize I, not the school district, set what we are learning.

When I get that question and I say that we use a lot of different things, not just one curriculum, I get what I call the "you have two heads" look.   But in my experience it's people who already homeschool (using a boxed set) or have already chosen their (single) curriculum who ask.   I always invite people to talk to me further about homeschooling if they are interested.  It's rare that anyone follows up!

One week before school starts. Without fail, someone will ask me, "What curriculum do you use?" And the question is usually asked right after church, as though I can answer them in 5 minutes! They are thinking about homeschooling this year and want to know how to do it! What?? You're just thinking about it now? I spent years before I ever started 23 years ago (when the only books in the public library about homeschooling were written by John Holt or Raymond and Dorothy Moore) researching the subject.

I would be happy to get together and give people guidance if they ask me, but for crying out loud! Homeschooling is a serious commitment - not something one does on a whim!

I wish I'd had time to research homeschooling.  Due to circumstances we had to just 'jump in'.  Even so, it was not a 'whim' and we take it very seriously.

So yes, I'm guessing some people try homeschooling on a whim but please know that some of us are committed even though we had to scramble.  If I'd heard/read a comment like yours all those years ago I would have been discouraged.

I usually respond with, "Here's my phone number, let's get together this week and I'll walk you through why we made the choices we made for our children."  Only one person had never bothered to call and come over for a visit.  We talk, if I sense they are leaning more towards CM or unschooling, I give them the names and numbers of other families who can help explain that better.  We work together pretty good in our community right now, so the Unschooling Mom will send people my way and vice versa.  It's nice.

I still feel I'm a newbie to homeschooling, since this is our third year, but I did spend many years researching and listening to homeschool speakers, reading books, etc before my hubby came on board.  So, I understand the mild frustration when someone announces five minutes after learning that homeschooling is even legal here, that they plan to start in two weeks.  Yikes!  I'll help, I'll support, I'll be a sounding board, but I'll also be suggesting that they might want to start actually homeschooling in about 4 months (if they can leave their kids in school that length of time) because it's a full time job and both parents don't usually realize that right away.  Then I send them to the library to take out a pile of books to start reading, and I send them to the Hive to learn!  By week two, they come back and ask if I think they can actually accomplish this.  That's when I know, they are starting to understand the enormousness of how their lives are going to change as homeschooling parents.

I just answer "I use a different curriculum for each subject."

Oh, that's a good response. I'll have to remember that.

We got the curriculum question as we were standing up to leave a college information session. The admissions guy asked, "So what curriculum do you guys use to homeschool?" and I was gathering my things thinking, "How can I answer that intelligently in the ten seconds before we get to the door?"

Fortunately, my kid just said something about library books and open courseware, the admissions guy nodded, and that was that. He was probably just making polite small talk, anyway.

Recently I had a close relative ask me where I got my curriculum. I started in about catalogs, various companies, etc., but she brushed that aside and said she knew I did things in a strange way, but where, really, did homeschoolers get their curriculum. She then explained that she was developing a product that she wanted to advertise to homeschoolers, and so just wanted to know what agency or organization sent homeschoolers their materials, so she could request that they include her advertisement with the materials. No matter how I tried to unburden her of her fantastically wrong ideas about homeschooling, she insisted that she just wanted the contact information for whoever sent homeschoolers their books, and finally decided I was just being uncooperative.

I once told someone that and she didn't know what the WTM was?!  Whoa!

That surprises you?

Not meaning to be snarky.  I know lots of homeschoolers, new and veteran, who don't know anything about the WTM.   I do mention it when people ask about resources!  :D   Heck, I've accidentally given away two copies!  :rolleyes:   But there are an awful lot of books and such out there...

I don't usually answer the question asked because the question is usually asked in ignorance. When someone asks, "What curriculum do you use?"  I usually answer something with, "Well, I'm where Charlotte Mason and The Well Trained Mind meet on a Venn diagram.  I mix Living books with the Trivium Model Of Classical Education."  Anyone who did their homework will be able to follow that with no problem.  Anyone else who couldn't has to ask what that means and I explain that first I looked into homeschooling approaches then I narrowed down curriculum in those two approaches."

I agree with the OP that most people considering homeschooling these days seem to me to be doing it on a whim.  They go around polling homeschoolers and dabbling with this curriculum and that instead of laying a solid foundation by clarifying for themselves their own goals and educating themselves about their options.

The thing that makes it appear whimsical is that it's asking the wrong question. Asking, "How did you select a curriculum with so many choices out there?" (which I have heard people ask) shows a much more thoughtful approach by someone considering homeschooling.  So does, "Which curriculum do you use and why?" I've been doing this for 13 years and I can't count how many times I've met homeschoolers who want to know more about their options more than a year into homeschooling because they admit they didn't want to do research so they asked the homeschoolers they knew and picked the most used curriculum.  What a waste of time, money and energy.

I wish I'd had time to research homeschooling. Due to circumstances we had to just 'jump in'. Even so, it was not a 'whim' and we take it very seriously.

So yes, I'm guessing some people try homeschooling on a whim but please know that some of us are committed even though we had to scramble. If I'd heard/read a comment like yours all those years ago I would have been discouraged.

I certainly would not make those comments to the person asking the question. If someone, for whatever reason, had to scramble to come up with something, I would definitely help as much as possible.

Usually the people asking the question are looking for a quick answer. DH had a couple come up to him and ask if we used Bob Jones or Abeka, as if those were the only options. They seemed to be stunned that there were other ways to teach one's children.

Actually, when I think about it, many of these people have already chosen one of those 2 publishers. They really don't want my advice. When I suggest something, they tell me it's not what they have in mind. Then they promptly go out and order an entire boxed curriculum, try it , and quit. Our former pastor's wife spent a fortune on curriculum, and then when she realized that she would actually have to spend time herself on this homeschooling thing, she sent it all back and put her kids back in school (2 weeks after school had begun)!

Maybe I'm one of the few thinking that she is actually curious and just trying to start a conversation about homeschool. Nothing to get upset over... just tell her you use a bunch of different things and you'll call her or invite her over sometime if you think it'll take that long. Some people are truly interested, and some people are nosey (meaning the kind that would put down anything you say.) Guess it depends on the type you think they are.

I say something like, "we generally follow The Well-Trained Mind, which is a book on classical education, so we use a mix of things." Most homeschoolers use BJU or Abeka or Sonlight or K12 or something like that and can offer a one word answer.

Even though we use Sonlight for history and literature, we use other curricula for every other subject so it would take a long time to describe it.  And I use different things for each kids.  You know, next year will be the first year I even have all three kids in the same publisher's grammar program.  Wow, I think that's a first!  :D

I had a lady over this morning who took me up on an offer to show her my homeschooling stuff, and we talked for two hours about it.  It took that long to show her and to describe how to use it.  She liked it all so I can claim a WTM convert.  :D

So yes, I'm guessing some people try homeschooling on a whim but please know that some of us are committed even though we had to scramble.  If I'd heard/read a comment like yours all those years ago I would have been discouraged.

:iagree:

I wouldn't necessarily judge a person's commitment to homeschooling and the amount of research they've put into it based upon a conversation during social time at church. Maybe they've been considering it and want to know if they've got the time and energy to put into it but know that five minutes isn't long enough to tell you all about their decision to homeschool. Maybe they are just making conversation with you because they know you homeschool and feel it's a common ground for chit-chat. Maybe they are sounding you out to see how open you are to discussing homeschooling, or whether your ideas about homeschool match theirs closely enough to pursue an in-depth conversation. Or who knows, maybe they decided the moment they saw you, "Hey, I think I want to homeschool this year!" :D

It's church social time. I doubt the people who ask are expecting a long involved answer five minutes before church. A short answer like, "We use many different resources. It's been a wonderful experience for us," and an offer to have coffee sometime to discuss it (if you're up for that) would suffice in the situation.

Cat

When I encounter someone who is considering homeschooling and may need to make a quick switch from PS, I intentionally steer them toward boxed curricula or even virtual ps as options.  I have done the research and know how long it takes to create a customized program, knowing they don't have that kind of time I don't push the person in that direction.  I let the person know that they can create a very customized system for their child, but if they want to cover their bases and move quickly they should probably consider something already prepared to start. 

Not everyone has to homeschool in the same way.  I would rather help someone get out of a bad school situation (whatever their reason) than to leave them feeling like they have no choice.  Now, I did have an encounter with someone who I knew was hoping for something that was all put together, nearly independent and free.  That person really did think the district provided everything. When I explained that you either spent $ to be independent or agreed to outside supervision to get free stuff (i.e. the virtual systems available in our state) they decided to just deal with the ps.  But in most instance, the person asking really doesn't know what their options are. 

I think someone giving it a try will either decide quickly that they want to dig deeper and do the research or decide that homeschooling is not for them.  I don't have to convert them to my entire belief system in 5 minutes.  :) 

Recently I had a close relative ask me where I got my curriculum. I started in about catalogs, various companies, etc., but she brushed that aside and said she knew I did things in a strange way, but where, really, did homeschoolers get their curriculum. She then explained that she was developing a product that she wanted to advertise to homeschoolers, and so just wanted to know what agency or organization sent homeschoolers their materials, so she could request that they include her advertisement with the materials. No matter how I tried to unburden her of her fantastically wrong ideas about homeschooling, she insisted that she just wanted the contact information for whoever sent homeschoolers their books, and finally decided I was just being uncooperative.

Okay, I find this amusing!  Maybe tell her to contact Rainbow Resource?  :laugh:

I can't imagine spending years researching before starting homeschooling. I need to be actually using something before I have a real feel for it. If asked this question, I say something like, "We use a variety of items; some of my favorites are Math Mammoth for math and Sonlight for history and reading."

I think I had about an hour of research time before we started homeschooling.  Seriously.  Just enough time to make sure it was legal and to find out what my library had that I could leverage.  Good for you on being able to put the time and effort into it at the start, but I think many of us started from a different place.  Not on a whim, but a bit more seat-of-the-pants.

Now, over the years, I have spent hours checking out different things before paying money, so I have racked up the hours after getting started.

When asked about curriculum, I answer "We use a variety of publishers and programs".  Where the conversation goes from there often depends on how old the kids are - mine are all older now, so my answers on what publishers I like to use has changed quite a bit over the years.

Actually, DH gets this question more than I do.  People are always curious about homeschooling at his work, particularly because we have older kids and people wonder how that works.

I generally just answer that I'm eclectic and we use different curriculum for different subjects. I might offer a bit on some of our favorite programs, depending on the mood and who is asking. I know around here most people wouldn't be familiar w/ what I use so no need to go into unnecessary details.

Actually, DH gets this question more than I do.  People are always curious about homeschooling at his work, particularly because we have older kids and people wonder how that works.

Ooh, now I'm going to have to work on an answer for dh. He usually says "You'd have to ask my wife about that," which makes him sound completely unaware of what's going on. I mean, sure, he is a little clueless, but not entirely!

I sorta started homeschooling my older son on a whim.  Not that I hadn't thought about it at all, but when I took him to the PS for orientation one year, I just knew it wasn't going to work.  I called my husband, told him we were withdrawing DS, and that was that.  He was only going to be in first grade, so no biggie, but we started without any real plan, just sort of winging it that year. 

Well, did she know the Secret Homeschool Handshake? Because if she didn't then obviously you had to put her off. We have to guard the doors don't we? :rofl: