Menu

Length of Day

How long should a school day be? I was at soccer camp this week with my boys and a pushy lady told me that hsing should take as long as ps. When she hsed she followed the ps schedule of length of day and year. She said specifically that she didn't understand how hsing can end by noon and still offer a full education. I kept my mouth shut. I had just finished my hsing schedule last week and it ends at noon. With a half hour recess. 1.5 hours for grammar, reading, math. break. then 1.5 hours for memory then either bible(1 day), history (2 days) or science (1 day) or math games and spelling (1 day). After lunch and nap/quiet time is finishing any reading or art if the kids ask.

Should I do something different?

Are my boys missing something?

The only thing I can think to add to lengthen the day is handwriting but we do that for warmup, most subjects are workbooks, and I correct writing as we go.

This lady shook the confidence in my schedule. :(

There are no requirements that I know of in Michigan about length. Just hit all the subjects.

Your ds is 5? Your schedule is MORE than adequate. Ignore crazy pushy people. Good grief. He's FIVE!

As he gets older he will need more time. But the public school schedule is based on many children in a classroom and all sorts of things that have nothing to do with life as a homeschooler.

In elementary school, about an hour of seat work per grade. In K, let the little cuties wiggle. Less than an hour of guided/ instructional seat work is plenty. It is traditional classrooms in the US that are currently developmentally inappropriate. Even when my middle ds went to public school k (he is 19yo now), it was only half day and most of that time was centers, circle time, and social time.

HTH-

Mandy

We are talking about a 5-year-old, correct?

I agree with the previous posters. We weren't doing anywhere near full days or even full weeks at 5!

When my dd was a baby someone stopped me in a store and told me I should not be out. It was 1pm and that was nap time! She was totally serious. All babies should be napping at 1pm. :rolleyes:

I think you are doing plenty.  :)

Ahhh, crazy nosy people.  Gotta love 'em (not).  Gotta ignore 'em.

Really?  That was her own insecurity talking.  She was talking to herself, not you.  

I have a 2nd grader who will be done by noon.  Now, my 6th grader's day is much longer.  But it's incremental.  And by no means should you judge/compare your learning environment to public school!! Have you been in a ps classroom????? I have.  I can guarantee that there is not 6 hours of learning going in there!!!  In any elementary grade, really.

I had just finished my hsing schedule last week and it ends at noon. With a half hour recess. 1.5 hours for grammar, reading, math. break. then 1.5 hours for memory then either bible(1 day), history (2 days) or science (1 day) or math games and spelling (1 day).

My older went to public school for Kindergarten. He goes 8:15am to 1:15pm.

His school time-table has Art (1hr/wk), Music (1hr/wk), PE (2hr/wk), Library (1hr/wk), Technology (1hr/wk at computer lab). So if you add those 6 more hours, you technically end after lunch. His recess and lunch adds up to 35mins.

I can't help but notice her homeschooling sounds . . . past tense. 

I had a veteran teacher (30+ years) tell me 15 minutes of one on one instruction equals about 3-4 hours classroom instruction. You can probably vouch for this from your own experience (I know I can). 

Think of all the time wasted in a traditional school--waiting in line, moving from classroom to classroom, waiting for the teacher to explain to others something you already understand . . .

The only thing I can think to add to lengthen the day is handwriting but we do that for warmup, most subjects are workbooks, and I correct writing as we go.

This lady shook the confidence in my schedule. :(

You want to add time to your student's day?  Here's what you can do:

Before each subject, have him sit quietly at his desk for 5 minutes doing nothing.  This will take the place of a ps teacher quieting down the other students.  If he finishes his work early, have him sit quietly at the table for an extra 15 minutes to wait for the PS children to finish their work.  

Before lunch, have your child stand at the kitchen door and wait for 5-10 minutes before sitting down at the table.  If he finishes lunch early, make him continue sitting there for the full 30 minutes.  

Before you leave the house, have him stand by the front door for 5 minutes as if he were waiting for all the other kids to line up as well.  If you're taking the car, have him sit in the car for 10 minutes or so before you actually drive away.  

I think you get the picture.  I agree with other posters to ignore the nosy people and let your child enjoy his homeschooling life!  

My goal is to have my kids finished in 3-4 hours up through eighth grade.  One-on-one (or two) instruction is SO much more efficient than classroom instruction.

I'm going to assume that since your oldest is only 6 that you simply aren't aware of how much time different subjects take as they get older.   It has absolutely NOTHING to do with efficiency and has EVERYTHING to do with quality of education.   By 8th grade, students should be doing a certain amt of input and a certain amt of output.   If they are only doing 3-4 hrs of school in 8th grade, they are not doing appropriate amts of either.   That is appropriate output for a 4th grader.....an elementary student.   It is not appropriate for middle school students.     Students that go from only doing 3-4 hrs of academics are going to really struggle with 6 hrs of high school credit in 9th.

I'm going to assume that since your oldest is only 6 that you simply aren't aware of how much time different subjects take as they get older.   It has absolutely NOTHING to do with efficiency and has EVERYTHING to do with quality of education.   By 8th grade, students should be doing a certain amt of input and a certain amt of output.   If they are only doing 3-4 hrs of school in 8th grade, they are not doing appropriate amts of either.   That is appropriate output for a 4th grader.....an elementary student.   It is not appropriate for middle school students.     Students that go from only doing 3-4 hrs of academics are going to really struggle with 6 hrs of high school credit in 9th.

I know that you have way more experience than I do, so I'm not trying to debate this, but I thought I read (when researching hsing) about quite a few homeschoolers that had all their work finished within four hours even through high school.  It's one of the main reasons we're homeschooling - to give my kids more time to pursue hobbies/jobs/extras that they're interested in, as opposed to sitting in a classroom all day.  Also, I probably should have mentioned that I plan on keeping our school year much longer than the traditional 180 days - more like 200-250.  I'd rather them work more often with shorter days.  At least for now, until they have more of an opinion about it.

one thing that lmakes school take so long are things like this.

"Everyone take out your math book and open to page 35. Susie, your math book, that's your reading book. Jimmy, page number 35 not page number 53. Do not begin the work until we all understand the directions. Sammy, put your pencil down. Fred, read the instructions at the top of the page. Thank you Fred. Anna, why don't you do the first problem on the board for us so that we can all be sure that we all understand what we are supposed to do here. Maya, sit in your seat, it is not your turn to write on the board. No talking please....yada yada yada."

"Everyone put your math books away. If you are not done, you should finish your work at home. Put your paper in your homework folder. Maya, in your homework folder. Now. Row 1, go to the door and line up for the bathroom break. Row 2....walk, people, do not run. etc."

Now, as your kids get older it WILL take a lot longer. My high schooler's day is not too terribly different from a regular school's day. However, she does not usually have a couple hours of homework in the evening. Round about 6th grade is when school starts to go further and further after lunch.

So much of how long y our day will take is customized to your own family. We have a fairly rigorous curriculum that we follow pretty closely, and we like to take a 3 month summer break, so our days last longer when we have more to do. Plus some kids do drag out their work.

When mine were 5 we doing maybe an hour day.  That would include beginning phonics, learning numbers and printing.  There was other learning going on such as games, lots of reading aloud and such.  But seat work - no more than an hour and not all at once - and most seat work was on the couch or floor.  By the time they were in high school, it's probably 8 hrs. or more a day

My older went to public school for Kindergarten. He goes 8:15am to 1:15pm.

His school time-table has Art (1hr/wk), Music (1hr/wk), PE (2hr/wk), Library (1hr/wk), Technology (1hr/wk at computer lab). So if you add those 6 more hours, you technically end after lunch. His recess and lunch adds up to 35mins.

BTW, my mom taught Kindergarten for years. The core of her academic day was done by lunch. They had art, playtime, rest time, etc. in the afternoon, because she said that the kids were mentally done after lunch.

I know that you have way more experience than I do, so I'm not trying to debate this, but I thought I read (when researching hsing) about quite a few homeschoolers that had all their work finished within four hours even through high school.  It's one of the main reasons we're homeschooling - to give my kids more time to pursue hobbies/jobs/extras that they're interested in, as opposed to sitting in a classroom all day.  Also, I probably should have mentioned that I plan on keeping our school year much longer than the traditional 180 days - more like 200-250.  I'd rather them work more often with shorter days.  At least for now, until they have more of an opinion about it.

If you yr round school, your days will look different.   But there is a HUGE difference between 20 extra days and 70 extra days.....the difference between 60/80 extra hrs (not significant) or 210/280 extra hrs (significant b/c that is more than an extra hr per day). 

FWIW, I know families that only do around 4 hrs of work/day and their kids have all (not an overstatement....all of them have) struggled in college.   I cannot imagine students with such low educational expectations suddenly thriving in the demands of a challenging curriculum.   Honestly, I cannot imagine how one covers literature, composition, math, science, and history (bare minimum of subjects for the middle school level) in 3 to 4 hrs.   My kids are reading an hour each in just lit, science, and history.   Add in writing and math plus additional subjects that they want to pursue b/c they are really interested in them......it takes at least 6 hrs.    Unless you are handing them simple workbooks and school via checking off boxes.....it takes more time.   Discussions, research....the part of education that brings everything to life and gives it purpose.....the things that I wouldn't ever drop for the sake of time....sometimes we can spend a couple of hrs just doing that.  :)

Yes, you should absolutely do something differently--Ignore the busybodies! :)

As for what they're missing, if you really wanted to fill their time, you could have them wait in line for a while, and tell them to sit quietly in their seats after they've finished with their work so that they don't disturb the rest of the class. They can line up before recess and lunch and wait until everyone is quiet and has hands to themselves before they go outside. :P

You're fine, hon. Your children are young. I think public school is fine, but your children are not in public school. There's no reason to use public school as the standard unless you've got a compelling reason or philosophy that makes it work better for your family.

Cat

I'm only hoping that by that age "my" involvement will only be 4 hours a day.  Ugh.  Not necessarily theirs.

My involvement has intensified to a startling degree. I think I had presumed more independence meant I would be less involved. That hasn't been the case. at. all.   I now spend more time preparing, discussing, correcting, trying to stay above water. . . ;)

My goal is to have my kids finished in 3-4 hours up through eighth grade.  One-on-one (or two) instruction is SO much more efficient than classroom instruction.

You keep saying that.  :)  Seriously, I get where you're coming from.  Just reality is going to jump in.  Having two won't be efficient, and probably it's going to take more than that.  I have a dc with a bit of SN, so we make everything hyper-efficient and to her level (typically above grade) at the same time, and EVEN SO we'd be pushing it to be done in 3-4 hours for 8th.  If she's on a real whiz-bang of a day she could finish her basic work in that amount of time.  Then she'd still have her customary couple hours of reading a day.  So yeah, if you don't count reading MAYBE.

It really just depends on what kids are doing.  Real books vs. textbooks, things that require a lot of chewing vs. worksheets you fill out and move on...  People's expectations and what people use just varies.  You'll find your mix and reality when you get there.  :)

And to the op, um, I worked in K5 and 1st all through college.  Those amounts of time involve bathroom breaks and lining up and classroom management and cleaning out artboxes and all sorts of stuff we don't have.  Real time with a 5 yo is more like 1-2 hours a day, and that typically INCLUDES read alouds.  Don't feel pressured by the ps.  Work hard, focus on the basics, do a good job, don't let things slide if you see something not clicking.  They're going to be FINE and your efforts will add up with good results.  :)

"When she homeschooled?"  I'm assuming she burntt out, and put her kids into public or private school.  Sheesh.  We take 3-3.5 hours a day, and that's with 1 hour's worth of breaks in there.  It includes her piano lesson, art projects, read alouds, time spent with Bean while she plays, etc.   We start at 8:30 and end around 11:30.  You are just fine!!!!

My involvement has intensified to a startling degree. I think I had presumed more independence meant I would be less involved. That hasn't been the case. at. all.   I now spend more time preparing, discussing, correcting, trying to stay above water. . . ;)

True dat.  That's what has had me so freaked out about adding my second dd - I mean, her school only takes 2-3 hours, but if that's 2-3 hours *on top* of the 6 hours with dd10 . . . the thought was giving me hives.  But I'm starting to think (I'm giddy from a good first day) that maybe it will all work out . . . 

Also, there are a lot of academic pursuits my 11 year old involves himself with that I'm not counting in that 4 hour x 4 day slot.  So there is that too.  I'm just referring to the stuff I require him to do.

This is what I'm thinking. (bolding mine) 

I don't know, in our family we do a lot of discussion, looking things up together, reading, etc. in our downtime just because we're interested in a lot of things.  Dh and I still love to learn.  And the kids ask SO many questions!  :)  But I don't count it as "school time."  It's just how we are.

I don't know, in our family we do a lot of discussion, looking things up together, reading, etc. in our downtime just because we're interested in a lot of things.  Dh and I still love to learn.  And the kids ask SO many questions!   :)  But I don't count it as "school time."  It's just how we are.

Right. We do that too--after our 9-5 school days. 

You keep saying that.   :)  Seriously, I get where you're coming from.  Just reality is going to jump in.  Having two won't be efficient, and probably it's going to take more than that.  I have a dc with a bit of SN, so we make everything hyper-efficient and to her level (typically above grade) at the same time, and EVEN SO we'd be pushing it to be done in 3-4 hours for 8th.  If she's on a real whiz-bang of a day she could finish her basic work in that amount of time.  Then she'd still have her customary couple hours of reading a day.  So yeah, if you don't count reading MAYBE.

It really just depends on what kids are doing.  Real books vs. textbooks, things that require a lot of chewing vs. worksheets you fill out and move on...  People's expectations and what people use just varies.  You'll find your mix and reality when you get there.   :)

I'm not counting reading.  And I'm okay with some textbooks/workbooks.  

But, yeah, I admit that I could be wrong.  :)

And you know what? You'll figure it out when the time comes.  And all the planning you do now for how things will look when they're 13 won't mean squat.   That isn't meant to be a a patronizing comment *at all* !!  But just a reflection of the reality that none of us knows how the future will look till we live it (and some of us not even then!)    ;)  :D

MotherofBoys says:

"When she hsed she followed the ps schedule of length of day and year."

Define "homeschooling."

Yes, MotherofBoys is "homeschooling" in the morning, but why not count what happens in the afternoon?

If you read to your kids in the afternoon, isn't that Phonics?

If you pull out the paints, or even just color in colorbooks, isn't that Art

If you go to the park with friends, isn't that P.E.?

If your child collects a spider in the kitchen, and you identify it together using the internet, isn't that Science?

If your child counts cups of flour in the cookies you are making, isn't that Math?

If your child writes a note about not doing piano until Mom finds the Dinosaur curriculum, isn't that writing/spelling?

The problem with my examples is that they are not structured.  And so what, if that is what works for you?

Your P.E. doesn't end after 40 minutes (it may go for 2 hours and 40 minutes), and it may be a different time each day. 

Art may create 8 new paintings, rather than the 1 or 2 in a public school setting.  Or no paintings if your child would rather play with playdoh today.

Science will be more impromptu, but also more relevant than studying pandas in China, since your child will identify another Zebra Spider a week later in the milkweed patch.

Just because you don't think you are doing "school" until 3pm, doesn't mean that you are not.  Tee hee: you should tell her that your kids homeschool through supper!

ETA: fixing spelling and grammar

Just as a completely generic observation made over the yrs........2 major areas where homeschool distortions in educational options occur are--overloading/expecting way too much too young or not increasing workloads appropriately as students get older.   What is an appropriate workload at 7 is not appropriate at 10 which is not appropriate at 13 which is not appropriate at 17.     Those 2 extremes are most common.   Burn-out is the common result of the first.   Inadequate preparation for high school/college is the most common result of the 2nd.  

Uh...we are homeschoolers here, I thought. So why are you dictating to another mother what she should do? It may or may not be true that she is underestimating. You don't know what kind of schooling she does informally, you don't know her goals, you don't know her kids.

Maybe you can trust that since she cares enough to come here, that she cares about her children and will do what they need as they mature? Then reword that to sound a bit less like the government bureaucrat?

I realize that this is a classical homeschooling board and classical homeschooling is rigorous, but I've noticed there are people here who do only part of what would be considered classical (myself included, since I am teaching a foster child who spent K-9 in public school, although I did classical with my children). I don't run the board and I haven't been here that long, but it seems to me every homeschooler, classical or not, should be gracious and respectful re: other parents' decisions.

I know some unschoolers who have done very well in university.

Just as a completely generic observation made over the yrs........2 major areas where homeschool distortions in educational options occur are--overloading/expecting way too much too young or not increasing workloads appropriately as students get older.   What is an appropriate workload at 7 is not appropriate at 10 which is not appropriate at 13 which is not appropriate at 17.     Those 2 extremes are most common.   Burn-out is the common result of the first.   Inadequate preparation for high school/college is the most common result of the 2nd.  

SOOO true! 

If they don't learn to work, they won't work hard. 

BUT, at 5, you're still at that twilight magical time. You don't want to beat that out of them. Read Charlotte Mason's first volume to get an idea of how to work the younger years. Lots of time outside, and building the foundations every day. Lots of play. 

Uh...we are homeschoolers here, I thought. So why are you dictating to another mother what she should do? It may or may not be true that she is underestimating. You don't know what kind of schooling she does informally, you don't know her goals, you don't know her kids.

Maybe you can trust that since she cares enough to come here, that she cares about her children and will do what they need as they mature? Then reword that to sound a bit less like the government bureaucrat?

I realize that this is a classical homeschooling board and classical homeschooling is rigorous, but I've noticed there are people here who do only part of what would be considered classical (myself included, since I am teaching a foster child who spent K-9 in public school, although I did classical with my children). I don't run the board and I haven't been here that long, but it seems to me every homeschooler, classical or not, should be gracious and respectful re: other parents' decisions.

I know some unschoolers who have done very well in university.

A lot of time people read posts and think that what is posted is by someone who has btdt, in the process of doing what they post, or is a generally accepted experience. If you read the post I quoted and didn't actually read the siggie, which btw you can't see w/o logging in, you would think that post was being made by someone with children older than the oldest being 6.

And, no, I am not dictating what anyone should do. Nor am I a WTM classical homeschooler and never have purported to be. Unschooling is different again from doing school 3-4 hrs of school at 13-14 yrs old (if unschooling is intentional and not non-schooling) But, nope, I do not believe most kids are being well-served if at 13-14 they are doing 3 hrs of school per day. I also have zero qualms stating that. I have seen my children's adult friends suffer from the poor educational preparation that they were provided by well-meaning parents who bought into the lies that anything at home was better than ps and that it only takes a fraction of the time to do at home what is done in ps.

People are perfectly free to disagree with me and ignore me which they do all the time. :)

Of course, ymmv, but, when my boys were in high school taking dual enrollment classes in addition to other work, their days were longer than my little guy who was only finishing up third grade when my second son graduated. To my way of thinking this was only appropriate.

Mandy

To the op I wouldn't get into such discussions. Are you working on grade level? Are you working consistently? Are you hitting the 3rs?

As to length of day, well, it has always seemed absurd to me the idea that a 1st grader's day should be the same length as a 6th grader. It seems obvious to me that a 6th grader has a longer attention span with much more and difficult material to learn. We are on track for about an hr-ish per grade here and that has felt pretty appropriate to their age and gives us enough time to get to everything needed to accomplish good progression. Ds in 2nd was about at 1hr LA/1hr Math, this year in 3rd he is 1 hr Math/1.5 hr LA/1 hr content. Dd is about at 1 hr for 1st. We do lots of reading and exploring in other times as well. Ds probably spent a good hr yesterday working on science experiments and dd was practicing her cursive (odd child that she is :) ). I read to them for 2 hrs. That was just life though.

With the ages of your boys, there is no way I would go beyond noon.  You are doing just fine.  For middle and high school; however, being done by noon isn't really feasible.  Right now DS14 works from about 7:30am - 3pm with an hour for lunch. 

OP, there are a series of articles on www.welltrainedmind.com that talk about how much time is "enough" for classical education.  In this article, SWB and JW say that an hour of instruction in K is enough (that's about how long I spend with my K-er).  Grammar stage can take between 3-5 hours (that seems about right, too).  For middle school, 5-6 hours a day is enough (which seems about right to me, too).  Here's the link:  

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/questions-homeschoolers-ask/

Here's another article that talks about schedules.  How long would it take if you did everything and when you can't do everything:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/schedules/

I'm trying to follow TWTM with my middle schoolers and the articles on the WTM website really do help you stay grounded.  She also has audio lectures that I've listened to in the past.

Edited to add: I saw your signature and if that's what you're doing with your 3 yro, that's way more than enough.  Sheesh!  My kids could barely talk at 3 - much less do K math!!   :tongue_smilie:

OP, there are a series of articles on www.welltrainedmind.com that talk about how much time is "enough" for classical education.  In this article, SWB and JW say that an hour of instruction in K is enough (that's about how long I spend with my K-er).  Grammar stage can take between 3-5 hours (that seems about right, too).  For middle school, 5-6 hours a day is enough (which seems about right to me, too).  Here's the link:  

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/questions-homeschoolers-ask/

Here's another article that talks about schedules.  How long would it take if you did everything and when you can't do everything:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/schedules/

I'm trying to follow TWTM with my middle schoolers and the articles on the WTM website really do help you stay grounded.  She also has audio lectures that I've listened to in the past.

Edited to add: I saw your signature and if that's what you're doing with your 3 yro, that's way more than enough.  Sheesh!  My kids could barely talk at 3 - much less do K math!!   :tongue_smilie:

I agree and the second link was a really good and useful read. Thank you.

And my 3yr old is very workbook happy, studious, willing. Saxon K math requires no writing either. It's a waste of time but makes him happy.

If you yr round school, your days will look different.   But there is a HUGE difference between 20 extra days and 70 extra days.....the difference between 60/80 extra hrs (not significant) or 210/280 extra hrs (significant b/c that is more than an extra hr per day). 

FWIW, I know families that only do around 4 hrs of work/day and their kids have all (not an overstatement....all of them have) struggled in college.   I cannot imagine students with such low educational expectations suddenly thriving in the demands of a challenging curriculum.   Honestly, I cannot imagine how one covers literature, composition, math, science, and history (bare minimum of subjects for the middle school level) in 3 to 4 hrs.   My kids are reading an hour each in just lit, science, and history.   Add in writing and math plus additional subjects that they want to pursue b/c they are really interested in them......it takes at least 6 hrs.    Unless you are handing them simple workbooks and school via checking off boxes.....it takes more time.   Discussions, research....the part of education that brings everything to life and gives it purpose.....the things that I wouldn't ever drop for the sake of time....sometimes we can spend a couple of hrs just doing that.  :)

Can we come live with you or better yet, you could come live with us :tongue_smilie:

And my 3yr old is very workbook happy, studious, willing. Saxon K math requires no writing either. It's a waste of time but makes him happy.

That is very cool!!   :coolgleamA:   It's not a waste of time if he's enjoying it.

BUT, at 5, you're still at that twilight magical time. You don't want to beat that out of them. Read Charlotte Mason's first volume to get an idea of how to work the younger years. Lots of time outside, and building the foundations every day. Lots of play. 

Charlotte Mason's first volume had a dramatic influence on my dd's early years; I am forever grateful.

Charlotte and I part ways with older students, but many of her foundational ideas remain a constant present in our days:

~Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life

~Never be within doors when you can rightly be without

~The flowers, it is true are not new, but the children are

~Meals taken al fresco are usually joyous

All the time, too, the children are storing up memories of a happy childhood. Fifty years hence they will see the shadows of the boughs making patterns on the white tablecoth; and sunshine, children's laughter, hum of bees, and scent of flowers are being bottled up for after refreshment.

I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation to read Charlotte Mason's first volume. If you can look past the antiquated advice, there are some true gems waiting.

My youngest is enrolled with Florida Virtual Full Time - with Connections Academy (Public school at home). Florida has deemed that K-3 grade kids need to work 20 hours a week to meet the attendance requirement, and 4-12 is 25 hours (they do a weekly average instead of requiring each day to be the 5 hours, some states require it to be each day with no flex).

Here is the quote from the handbook....

3.5.2 Required Instructional Hours

Based on a 180 day school year:
• Grades K – 3 = 720 hours (4 hours per day) • Grades 4 – 12 = 900 hours (5 hours per day)

Note that these are the minimum hours required by the state and that students are responsible for mastering all material, which may require additional time. 

ETA: So, basically, not even the State of FL expects PS at home to take the same time as PS in the classroom! :p

This thread has been so helpful!  I've been frustrated with how long the kids are taking this year, but apparently it is "normal" for their grades.  That puts my mind at ease.  I suppose we are entering a new phase of schooling.

Thanks for the links to the WTM articles! They made me feel a lot better about our scheduling. I especially like the following advice...

First and second graders should be spending 3-4 hours per day in school work. Third and fourth graders can spend 4-5 hours per day, depending on maturity. Once you move into middle school, it is better to set the student a particular goal to cover; otherwise, since you’re supervising less, it’s easy for the child to dawdle. But if your middle school child is spending 5-6 hours per day on schoolwork, that’s more than enough. You will never learn everything there is to know!

and

With her own children (third grade, first grade, and kindergarten), Susan does a four-day week, sticking fairly close to the schedule in the book, and then goes to the library and the swimming pool on Day 5. She makes sure that the skill work (reading, writing, spelling, grammar, math, foreign language, piano) is ALWAYS completed. History and science alternate; sometimes, if it’s a beautiful day or if a crane shows up in the back yard or if cousins drop by to play, history and science may fall off the schedule entirely — for the day.