Menu

Uh, yeah, WOW! # of applications for a new fast food job...

creekland

My youngest was fortunate enough to get a job at a newly opening Chick Fil A in a nearby town.  They started with orientation today...

He came home telling us they said they had 884 applications for 80 jobs...

WOW!

I understand that Chick Fil A is a great company to work for (heard from several sources), but it's still a fast food job paying fast food job pay (minimum wage for my high schooler starting his first job).  I am NOT complaining about his earning minimum wage - that's as it should be IMO.  I am, however, marveling at how many applications they received... and feeling fortunate that he was one of the < 10% chosen. 

They didn't choose incorrectly - he'll be a great employee - but still, wow!  So many others looking... for a fast food job.  And we're not in a "high unemployment" area either.  We tend to be among the better counties in our state for unemployment rates.

I'd love to know the demographics of those other applications... or maybe I wouldn't want to know.

We had a Chick Fil A open up in June. They also had numerous applications, my older daughter was not one of the ones chosen. My youngest daughter had her birthday party there, we had booked it before they opened up their doors. I asked them how many applications they rec'd and I don't remember the number, but it was outrageous.

They are right in the center of town, next to a Rush's Chicken place and across the street from Zaxby's chicken place. They are always packed and the drive-thru lines are always long.

I heard similar stats for the job I have now. They company did a hiring fair in preparation for opening a new store. There was, as far as I could tell, no promotion for the event beyond some signs in the parking lot of the shopping center. Over the course of two days, they took applications from over 300 people. They hired about 50 of us as temps to stock the store and prep it for opening, then kept on only about 30 of us as permanent staff.

So, again, about 10% of the applicants made the final cut.

They are paying at least some of us more than minimum wage. (We are forbidden to disclose our individual pay rates.) However, I, at least, had no idea that would be the case when I went in to apply.

Similar stories here. My dh is an electrician at a university. They advertised for a new electrician position and had 80 applications on the first day!

And I keep hearing that the economy is getting better. Really? I don't think so.

I'm confused about the job market. We have a friend with a business, light labor, and he can't get people to stay more than a week. My husband is cleaning out new construction houses (house cleaning essentially) and the owner was so glad to have him. She says she can't fill the open spots and they are swamped. Yet I hear people all the time saying they can't find jobs. I don't get it?

And I keep hearing that the economy is getting better. Really? I don't think so.

Objectively, at least in our area, things are improving. For example, unemployment in Florida peaked at over 11% in 2010. As of May of this year, it was down to 7%.

In 2009, our state GDP dropped by something like 6%. By 2010, it had regained 1%. Last year, we got back another 2.4%.

Building permits are up locally, as is personal income. We're talking small percentages in both cases, but they are up rather than down or flat, which was the case in Florida for a couple of years.

And I understand we're actually lagging behind a lot of the rest of the country in recovery.

So, things are getting better. It's just not going to be an over-night fix.

I would be interested in knowing what parts of the country are still hurting because in our area we've seen a very strong job market with the exception of people who lack strong work skills.  Not anything wrong with them just they don't have any marketable skills and are too old for "teen" jobs.  In fact DH and I have our own company so it's obviously we have jobs that we love doing and yet he will still get people offering him jobs randomly.  He was doing some marketing with a larger company a few weeks ago that could use our skills and the man he was talking to tried to hire him! 

I don't think it's at all unusual that 800 people applied for 80 spots.  Would it be strange if 10 people applied for 1 position?  Around here Chik Fil A is a hot place to work and I can see oodles of people wanting to work there.

I would be interested in knowing what parts of the country are still hurting because in our area we've seen a very strong job market with the exception of people who lack strong work skills.

Below link is June 2013 summary statistics by State and metro for unemployment

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t01.htm

Majority of the fast foods here have a "Now Hiring" sign but I don't know how many they actually hire.

I'd consider us to be living in a strong economic area where the economy has definitely recovered a bit.  Unemployment in the county where the Chick Fil A is is at 6.9%.  Unemployment in the county less than a mile away (it's on the border) is 5.8%.  Restaurants and shopping areas have been busy.  There are plenty of lower level jobs around with other restaurants, food factories, and construction that are doing quite well.  Hubby runs his own business (Civil Engineering) and business is booming - as it is with those he works with.  Everyone in our circle acknowledges that the economy is doing well right now.

This is why I'm surprised.  If we were where my mom lives - unemployment rate 9.8% - I'd be far less surprised.

This is why I'm interested in the data behind the apps.  Are they mostly teens looking for jobs?  Are they people who are already working in other low level jobs who would prefer working for Chick Fil A (either due to their rep as a great employer or due to having Sundays off or something)?  Are they retirees hoping for a part time job?  Are they folks who don't have a work ethic who jump from job to job because they don't have what it takes to stay hired?  Are they mainly people hoping for the manager jobs and not so much for the basic jobs?  Or are they truly unemployed and looking for anything to where even fast food is attractive?

I don't know of any way to find out as the owner/manager is not in our circle of business folks, but I'm very curious.

Having 884 apps for 80 jobs is high IMO, esp in a place without a high unemployment rate.  Having 10 apps for one job would be high (four or five would be more common).  It wasn't all that long ago that kids from my high school would say they wanted a job and have one by the end of the week (not so long ago meaning before the economic downturn).  My guy put apps in at the end of the school year and didn't hear back.  I wondered how seriously he wanted a job... then he tried Chick Fil A the beginning of July (as soon as he saw they were taking apps) and got hired within a week.  I was glad since they are known as a great employer and he'll have Sundays off for church and school stuff.  I didn't think anything of it really.  Now I'm really thankful he made the cut.  He needs to save money for college... and get work experience.

The physio in town said that when he advertised for a part-time receptionist ten years ago he received adequate applications - 8 maybe?  I can't remember.  This time he received ten times that number.

Some of those applications will be junk - if you want to hold onto unemployment benefit here you have to show you are looking for work, so some of the applicants will be just applying for everything.  But surely a lot of those applicants were possible for the job.

I felt very lucky to get a job last year after seven months of looking.

ETA: overall unemployment rate in Scotland is 7.5% - there have been falls in the rate in the south of England, but not up here.

L

The physio in town said that when he advertised for a part-time receptionist ten years ago he received adequate applications - 8 maybe? I can't remember. This time he received ten times that number.

Some of those applications will be junk - if you want to hold onto unemployment benefit here you have to show you are looking for work, so some of the applicants will be just applying for everything. But surely a lot of those applicants were possible for the job.

I felt very lucky to get a job last year after seven months of looking.

L

I was just about to bring up the unemployment benefit factor. I think there has to be 2 applications filled out a week? Maybe?

I work for a large hospital that is one of the largest employers in our area. In a recent discussion, the HR people told us that when they post jobs, particularly clerical ones, on their website, they will get 100 applications in the first hour. Then, they keep coming in. I will hold on to my job with all I have.

My mom on the other hand, retired two years ago, and hasn't been able to find even part time work. Don't know how much of that is our market and how much is the fact that she is 67.

The NJ metro areas are all in South Jersey, so doesn't tell me much for where I am.  :glare:

It can't be too bad around here.  My teenager was hired right away at Target and had at least two other offers from smaller retail stores (Delias and Victorias Secret).  I was hired for a grocery store job right away.   Now I'm back to working as an Executive Assistant.  This job came when I wasn't even looking for it - an agency I had sent a resume to months ago called on a Tuesday, I was interviewed on Wednesday (not by the agency, by the hiring company) and hired to start Thursday.  It was temp to perm (which I have been offered perm) but I figure if the agency was sending me out on a big job without ever interviewing me themselves, they couldn't be flooded with qualified applicants.

Having 884 apps for 80 jobs is high IMO, esp in a place without a high unemployment rate. Having 10 apps for one job would be high (four or five would be more common).

It depends on the job; getting only 4 or 5 apps for a job opening would be low in many if not most places. We got 20+ applications for a job that opened up in the department where I work. We have low unemployment, and a few years ago our county was deemed the least economically stressed county in the US.

My best friend is the manager for a pizza place. They pay more than minimum wage. In fact, their drivers make about $20 - $25/hr because of the tips. But he can't get enough people in there. Nobody is applying and those that he does hire are crap workers but he has to keep them on because nobody else will apply. Unemployment here is 9.7% last time I checked but it could have changed.

The unemployment rate in my county is hovering around 12% but the county commissioners estimate

underemployment at 25%. Detroit city proper stands at 19.5% though the actual rate is much worse because

so many have given up and are no longer tracked. If a Chick fil-a opened anywhere near the I75 cooridor

near downtown Detroit even Dearborn I'd guess they could easily receive 5000 applications.

Even in my home county of only 22000 residents Fha applications would number 1500 or more. When the

ethanol plant has an opening they get 2000 or more apps for a single job.

I know its going to be hard to see dd move to NJ but on the otherhand she has four EMS companies

jumping up and down over her application and letters of recommendation. She isn't going to have a

difficult time getting a job and hubby had no issues either. So I'm very happy for them. On combined

income their budget is very very comfortable and they could just make it on his income alone if she wasn't

hired right away.

Below link is June 2013 summary statistics by State and metro for unemployment

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t01.htm

Majority of the fast foods here have a "Now Hiring" sign but I don't know how many they actually hire.

My area is still over 11%.  Well, that just showed me what I was guessing.  Actually, I would say it's somewhat higher; I can name 6 families we're close to where 1 or both are unemployed currently.   

It depends on the job; getting only 4 or 5 apps for a job opening would be low in many if not most places. We got 20+ applications for a job that opened up in the department where I work. We have low unemployment, and a few years ago our county was deemed the least economically stressed county in the US.

It must depend upon the job and location.  Fields I'm used to dealing with (in person) don't get 20+ EXCEPT recently with so many teachers being laid off all over and few districts hiring.  Then our school got 21 for one position - and thought it was quite high.  There were around 14 for another position.  Usually there are 3 - 5 pending what type of position it is.  With engineering, often firms resort to headhunting and extensive networking if they want someone with experience, and combing colleges if willing to take on someone brand new.

My best friend is the manager for a pizza place. They pay more than minimum wage. In fact, their drivers make about $20 - $25/hr because of the tips. But he can't get enough people in there. Nobody is applying and those that he does hire are crap workers but he has to keep them on because nobody else will apply. Unemployment here is 9.7% last time I checked but it could have changed.

I wonder how much of the difference is due to needing a reliable car for delivering.  That might be tough for the unemployed esp if a city-type location where a car isn't needed so much otherwise.

The current unemployment rate in my county is 6.9%.  Even at the worst of the economic downturn it didn't get that high.  They call this area the new Silicon Valley.

But wowzers on the number of applicants for a fast food job.  When I was a teen the economy was rather sucky.   So finding a job was difficult. 

This sounds similar to our area, but we're not Silicon Valley.  We just have a lot of things that don't do badly during the downturn (comfort foods, staycation/daytrip favorites, etc).  Unemployment never got really high here - higher than now, but not really high and we totally skipped the other recent downturns.

It has been interesting reading about the different experiences folks are having.

Here's my take on it.

In our area low wage, low skill jobs (like cashiers and fast food workers) are having their hours cut.  Employers no longer want to have to pay out benefits to full time workers so they would rather have 60 part time employees rather than 30 full time employees.

Now those workers must work at least 2 part time jobs (more often 2.5 or 3 jobs) to make it. These are adults.

Now the kids getting their first jobs are a little better off. While they may be saving for college and a car, they usually have mom and dad providing food and housing.

Mr. Hoppy has an aunt and cousin in another state looking for special ed teaching jobs. They said their area receives 400 applications per teaching job and that most applicants area certified in two areas.

Ok, that one makes me go WOW too...  I wonder how it compares to 5 - 10 years ago... and if it will be the new norm for the future.

I wonder how much of the difference is due to needing a reliable car for delivering.  That might be tough for the unemployed esp if a city-type location where a car isn't needed so much otherwise.

And the cost of gasoline and insurance, wear and tear on the vehicle, the (perceived, at least) risk of being held up wandering around alone in unfamiliar parts of town . . . Once you factor in all of that, a variable pay rate of "up to" $20 per hour sounds much less impressive.

I found another source and it looks like my county has an unemployment rate of 7.2% (one of the lowest in the state) and where dd works is 10.6%.  I'm surprised it wasn't harder for her to find a job, although she did do quite a bit of leg-work, printing out applications and dropping them off in the stores, instead of just applying online.

It confuses me too. We have a small company and hire people from time to time, and the responses we get are appaling. We get applicants, but not a lot, and a vanishingly small number who are even remotely qualified (as specified in the ad) or who follow the application direcitons (send resume and cover letter to ...). Not specialized work, either; we've tried to hire for telephone sales and office / bookkeeping work. The irony is that we recruit & place IT professionals for a living, pretty successfully!

Well... sadly enough, I have to comment to the OP that this is not a surprise. 

It is a competitive job market for those of us who are overqualified and out of work.

I have been looking for full-time employment myself since January.

I first got a p/t job as a Nanny, but it was temp as I informed the family I'd be delighted to watch the baby until they found a full time Nanny.  I told them that I was looking for a f/t job.  I had been applying since April for over 100 teaching positions in 12 local school districts.  Never got beyond one phone call interview.  And I am with lots of experience (13 year gap since choosing to be at home as a SAHM & homeschooler) in the classroom too.  One job that I had the phone interview for had 190 teachers wanting 10 openings at that school.  And I made the cut for the phone interview but not for the in-person interview. Crazy.

Could not figure out WHY I did not land an interview until one teacher friend encouraged me to go in person and hand the principal my resume.  I did at a local school and days later -- got a job.  (That was a week ago... now I am trying to plan how to set up my classroom)

I've applied to Target, McDonalds, Walmart, local grocery stores and not one stinkin' nibble or call.  Not even an email from anyone saying the job was filled.  It seems so discouraging to have to spend many hours online to fill out one job application and never hear back from anyone.  Don't get me wrong... I am so thankful to have a job and a nice benefit package for my family.  My son is in his Senior year/Dual Enrollment and hubby will be homeschooling him.  We're doing good.  But having been on Food Stamps and Medicaid for the last couple of years living on a Pastor's salary... it is tough.  And I was very shocked to see I was not the only one in this economy looking for a job.  Everyone is still $$ hurting, I guess.

Could not figure out WHY I did not land an interview until one teacher friend encouraged me to go in person and hand the principal my resume.  I did at a local school and days later -- got a job.  (That was a week ago... now I am trying to plan how to set up my classroom)

Glad you found a job!

It does sound like there are many still looking in many areas - perhaps not so many in others.

My middle dd is working at Chick-Fil-A.  There were hundreds of applicants for two jobs at the beginning of the summer and she was told that the only reason she got an interview was because her older sister used to work there and had a great reputation.  In our area it's not only what skills you have, but also who you know.  And Scooter knows that whenever she leaves the Chick it has to be with a stellar rep because her younger sister will be applying for a job there in a few years.

We live in a college town [two universities] so it's very competitive for those types of jobs

And the cost of gasoline and insurance, wear and tear on the vehicle, the (perceived, at least) risk of being held up wandering around alone in unfamiliar parts of town . . . Once you factor in all of that, a variable pay rate of "up to" $20 per hour sounds much less impressive.

My son did it for one week and came out at a LOSS, so yes, we told him he could quit bc we were not going to bankroll the pizza places delivery service, tyvm.

At the same time, my husband is desperate for good kitchen people at his restaurant. He'll be working extra days and longer hours than his already ridiculous schedule for the next couple weeks to ensure that people can take their vacations without short-staffing the kitchen.

I read recetly that poverty wage jobs will be the great majority( maybe 70%?) of new jobs created in the next 7 to 10 years.

Any idea how this compares to the past?

I know NBC news this morning said that the percentage of young people (I think 18 - 30) living with their parents is up 31% from (I think) 2008.  The "I thinks" show how much I was paying attention to details.  I remember the "up 31%" part though, and youngest and I got a kick out of the breakdown... one gender (male?)composed 40% of the total and the other 32%.  We got hung up wondering what the other 28% were.  Hence, other details got lost as our brains got sidetracked...  I suppose if I were motivated I'd head over to NBC's website and check on the story, but we don't have a quick internet connection, so I'm not going to.  Others can check if they wish.

Any idea how this compares to the past?

I know NBC news this morning said that the percentage of young people (I think 18 - 30) living with their parents is up 31% from (I think) 2008.  The "I thinks" show how much I was paying attention to details.  I remember the "up 31%" part though, and youngest and I got a kick out of the breakdown... one gender (male?)composed 40% of the total and the other 32%.  We got hung up wondering what the other 28% were.  Hence, other details got lost as our brains got sidetracked...  I suppose if I were motivated I'd head over to NBC's website and check on the story, but we don't have a quick internet connection, so I'm not going to.  Others can check if they wish.

I suspect this is the piece to which you referred?

http://www.today.com/money/record-21-6-million-millennials-live-parents-6C10823526?cid=social10391094

I can see how it looks a bit alarming, but I found this caption to be interesting, too:

"More young adults are living with their parents now that at any time in the last 40 years, with 36 percent of millennials ages 18 to 31 choosing to put off moving out on their own. The Pew Research study says this generation is more likely to go to graduate school and delay marriage, and cites a change in the related social stigma."

The way I read the article is that, yes, unemployment is a problem for younger workers, but the number living at home may also be up because more of them are staying in school longer. I mean, four decades ago (a time frame cited in the article) a much smaller percentage of kids even graduated from high school (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/06/high-school-graduation-rate-hits-40-year-peak-in-the-us/276604/), let alone went to college, let alone on to grad school. It just makes sense to me that young people who are pursuing more education would delay moving out and living on their own.

I'm not downplaying the fact that it's tough for a young person to find a job, but, as with so many things, I don't think the explanation is as simple as some news outlets want to make it sound.

Thanks for looking up the article.  The spin they put on it on the Today Show was definitely different than what I read... it also explained the 40% and 32% - it wasn't of a total (leaving us scratching our heads about what the other 28% were), it was a percentage of each gender of that age - far more sensible.

Then, when you read this part:

If there's good news, it's that boomerang babies aren't entirely those who can't afford to live on their own. By Pew's estimates, at least a third and as much as a half of those young adults living with Mom and Dad are college students who spend most of the year on campus and come home for breaks. (Whew.)

College graduates are also less likely than less-educated counterparts to live at home, particularly after they turn 25, Fry said.

My brain instantly goes, duh!  Of course the percentage has gone up.  The percentage of students going to college has also gone up and if the aren't counting those boarding at college (or those boarding at home, but in college) as having left home, then there's the bulk of your increase IMO.

You cleared up a bit for me - thanks!  I like the Today Show (when I'm not at school working anyway), but sometimes one would think they could present their news a bit better.