Fixing up a bathroom...to sell the house. Photos in Post #7

LisaKinVA

New bath vanity area  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Normal vanity/drawers & countertop
    • Bowed sink with custom shelves HIGHER than the sinks
    • Bowed sink with custom shelves LOWER than the sinks

It's no secret...we've put a lot into this house. However, there is still a bit that needs to be done to get it ready to rent/sell.

In order to get our occupancy permit, we put in really, really, really inexpensive sinks in the hall bath. They are really too small for the space (we also installed a tile-inset "rug" that was based upon a larger sink/vanity area.

It will cost about $1,000 to put in the right kind of vanities (two, 24" sinks with a set of 24" drawers, and a white poured marble countertop). OR for about $700 we could purchase two bow-front sinks (these are curved front) from Lowe's (which comes with a glass-topped sink), and build a set of furniture shelves we would finish black to match), make them slightly taller or shorter than the sinks and put a glass or granite tile top on it (the bathroom is a transitional-style bathroom utilizing white subway tile (vertical) with black/grey/clear glass tile insets, a glass tile border/transition, and normal subway tile to the ceiling in the shower and on the walls of the toilet/shower room. The floor is Carerra Marble with a black granite transitions, the rug inset is a herringbone marble/granite on the diagonal with a black granite border).

Which option would you select?

A) "normal" vanity/drawers with countertop (this would also be the fastest to get installed)
B) Bowed sink vanities with custom shelves a little HIGHER than the sinks
C) Bowed sink vanities with custom shelves a little LOWER than the sinks

I don't know how to vote. It all depends on price and whether or not you plan to rent or sell. I guess I would choose the simple/ less expensive route either way. The tone of the room sounds like it is screaming for the 2 seperate sinks with shelves. I would think less is more as far as shelving is concerned to keep the look.

I don't know how to vote. It all depends on price and whether or not you plan to rent or sell. I guess I would choose the simple/ less expensive route either way. The tone of the room sounds like it is screaming for the 2 seperate sinks with shelves. I would think less is more as far as shelving is concerned to keep the look.

We will most likely list it for sale OR rent...and take whatever happens first. It will be a lot less stressful in the short term to sell...but most likely we would be in a better financial position if we rent. So, I have to finish it off for prospective buyers.

On our "get the house ready to show" to-do-list:

1) Kitchen backsplash

2) Stain/finish remainder of kitchen molding & install

3) Build fireplace hearth, stain/finish mantel, install stone/tile fireplace surround & slate hearth

4) Master Bath backsplash, shower threshold and doorway threshold

5) Hall Bath vanities/shelving/backsplash, touch up paint, thoroughly clean tile & seal.

6) Mudroom panel/bench cubby/shelving install

7) Laundry room cabinetry/riser build/paint/install

8) Paint/install shoe molding throughout house

9) Re-paint a LOT of trim, re-caulk almost every baseboard in the house, patch/touch up walls (most of this will be done after our household goods shipment and our items for storage are packed and moved out...hopefully in 4 weeks.

There are some other "little things" that have to be finished up too...but 1-9 are the most noticeable.

Reasons people won't rent our house: No deck. No finished basement. PLUS #1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9

Reasons people won't buy our home in the current price range...#1-9, the deck and finished basement don't come into play, because it is a new home.

We've met with one realtor/property manager and will be meeting with 2 more this week. We need to make a decision ASAP, as we really only have 2 weeks to get all of the work done. The first realtor doesn't think we can rent the house for $2500/month, because we don't have a finished deck or a basement. HOWEVER our utility bills are roughly half that of other homes this size renting for 2500/month...and we also include DSL/phone service (this is because of where we live, and we are required to have a phone line for our septic system, and we don't want to chance losing the DSL and get stuck with dial-up or satellite internet). She thinks we could probably sell the house in 30 days if we list it for $475 (which would mean we'd be out of debt heading to Italy, and have a nice chunk of change in the bank...no worries about the house getting trashed, etc.)

I'm having trouble visualizing the space....but I think I'd do the Lowe's vanities. Maybe upgrade the door hardware if it needs a bit of bling boost. Vessel sinks make people drool...their coolness factor is off the charts.

I'm not sure what you mean by shelves higher or lower, but simple storage with rolled towels and pretty jars of soaps can look smashing.

If the vanities are dark, make doubly sure you have plenty of light in the room. Are the light fixtures updated?

Clean goes a long way toward selling...especially in bathrooms.

Good luck. Selling before you leave sounds like a good goal.

I've attached a PDF with some photos of the hall bath in its current state.

Since we are leaving the country and need to get out of our mortgage quickly, we will most likely be listing the house for sale OR for rent, and take whatever happens first.  The projected listing price is $475,000 (based upon comps, and custom features/upgrades), rental price would be $2500/mo. (and includes phone/internet).

We are the main builders of the house, so pretty much nothing I've listed are "upgrades" -- they are unfinished projects (there is no backsplash in the kitchen at present...the fireplace is unfinished...etc.).  These are things we need to do regardless of if the house rents or sells (exception being the hall bath...which could rent as-is, but doesn't show as well for a buyer as-is....the hall bath is the only thing being "upgraded" to something along the lines of what we were planning to do all along, but haven't gotten to (dh was going to custom build vanities...with a custom drawer vanity and open shelves in the center.  Our design was pretty cool...but we don't have time to do that).

People in this price range don't simply "deduct" for unfinished work for what it would cost "me" to put it in...they deduct what it would cost someone to have someone else put it in for them. For example: the wood work we need to do in the kitchen will cost us $300.  If we "deducted" that job we would have to deduct $2,500 for materials/labor.  The stone/tile fireplace surround costs us $350.  A "deduction" for that would be closer to $3,000.  In other words, for the $3-5k we need to put into the house to finish the jobs I would need to deduct closer to $20,000 from the price and the hosue would SIT.  Most people will not see the potential of what the fireplace or kitchen backsplash would look like, nor will they want to buy a "nearly finished" house.

Honestly, (just based on the photos) I'm not sure I would do anything in the hall bath. To me it just looks like you matched the 'rug' to the tub/commode door frame. Sure, it's a bit off, but nothing that catches my eye, and I'm the kind of person who can tell when something needs to be moved an inch. It's like you left room for someone to stand at the sink and not be 'on' the rug. Does that make sense? Now, it might look different in person and catch your eye, but in the photos, I just don't see anything "off" with the vanities/sinks/rug. That said, I would leave the bathroom as is and concentrate on the other things on your list.

I didn't vote because you didn't have an 'other' category. If you must replace them, I don't think I would go with "normal" unless you find something unique--- your bath is unique, and a plain vanity, IMO, would look out of place. I like the way it looks now!

Of course, if what bothers you doesn't 'present' in the photos, then ignore my post!  :tongue_smilie:

Reasons people won't buy our home in the current price range...#1-9, the deck and finished basement don't come into play, because it is a new home.

Are there other rooms in your house that are "designed" to your family's taste like in the photo of the bathroom?   

The pattern on the walls/floor would be outside of my comfort level knowing that I would have to tear it all off the wall, put up new dry wall, tile again, put in new cabinets and sinks, etc.  

Can you focus on renting the house so that one day you could possibly return to the area and live there again?

Are there other rooms in your house that are "designed" to your family's taste like in the photo of the bathroom?   

The pattern on the walls/floor would be outside of my comfort level knowing that I would have to tear it all off the wall, put up new dry wall, tile again, put in new cabinets and sinks, etc.  

Can you focus on renting the house so that one day you could possibly return to the area and live there again?

I don't think everyone would agree with you.  In a custom house there is always going to be something that the new owner wouldn't have picked out themselves...doesn't always mean they would rip it out and start fresh. 

I agree that it definitely needs to be changed.  The sinks, as you said, are much too small for the space, and the cabinet in the middle is awkward.  You've put a lot, and are putting a lot, into the house, and you want the bathroom to match the rest of the house in terms of finish.  I voted Option A because it's the simplest.  It's worth the extra $300 to just be done.  And if you paid $700 for the two vanities, you'd still have to spend more money on the materials and glass top for the area between the sinks.  You're pressed for time, and this is worth it.

Good luck selling.  We just put our "old" house up for sale or rent, whichever comes first.

For me it looks finished as it is.  People coming in (unless renting) will always have their own thoughts about what would be perfect, so I wouldn't swap out things that are already in excellent condition and perfectly serviceable.  If your estate agent really thinks it needs to change, then okay - otherwise, I'd leave it.  

L

I voted the bowed sinks with a higher shelf. (not nearly as high as it is now though) A regular vanity would be fine too, but honestly I don't love the tile and there's a LOT of tile. I think the coolness & moderness of the bowed vessel sinks would likely distract me from the tile. :)

Ummm...yeah, there are more custom features we put into this house.  We designed it for our family...however we chose colors that overall are very neutral.  The black/white/grey in that bathroom actually looks quite nice with both bold colors (bright, "true" colors, classic colors and jewel tones that are quite popular right now...as well as muted (I put some sage-green towels in there, and they look very nice....  The only colors I wouldn't put in there are certain blues and beige/brown.)  The fun thing about this bathroom is that you can put *any* kiddie bath set in there and it will look adorable.  Or, you can take it the sophisticated route (as well as many themes in between).  

While I'm not afraid of color...I worked very hard to choose a palette that people would be able to design around. I didn't put anything in my house that would severely limit colors you could paint on walls. It's not like we put in teal-blue toilets and a hot-pink fireplace ;) -- the fact that we chose a pattern may "scare" some people, but people who are looking at custom homes don't want to see "builder-grade beige" on the walls. They expect a bit more.  Every Realtor, tile/flooring person, and appraiser who understands the difficulty of the tile work we've done (especially that marble herringbone on the diagonal inset in the hall bath), has been extremely complimentary -- and gone out of their way to comment on the work.  Two of the vendors we worked with on the home have even asked and used our home to showcase their products to other customers.  

Anytime anyone buys a house there are compromises made...unless one has unlimited funding, you are usually stuck with the selections (or range of selections) a previous owner or a builder has made for you.  

For me it looks finished as it is. People coming in (unless renting) will always have their own thoughts about what would be perfect, so I wouldn't swap out things that are already in excellent condition and perfectly serviceable. If your estate agent really thinks it needs to change, then okay - otherwise, I'd leave it.

L

This. As is, it looks presentable and ready for viewing to me (however an agent may have other ideas/suggestions.)

I would leave it as is. I have never heard of having a bathroom with two sinks. seems sort of crazy to me to spend money on a working bathroom to rent out or sell a house.

You have never heard of a bathroom with two sinks? ? It is fairly common here in the states.

I agree I would not change anything. It is beautiful and functional as is.

For me it looks finished as it is.  People coming in (unless renting) will always have their own thoughts about what would be perfect, so I wouldn't swap out things that are already in excellent condition and perfectly serviceable.  If your estate agent really thinks it needs to change, then okay - otherwise, I'd leave it.  

L

This.  While I do see where the cabinets may be too small, it's not a biggie (from what I can tell in the photos).

For all the OP knows, she'll change the cabinets and someone will come in and say "oh, I wish there was more room in front of the cabinets to put the two small stepstools for my kids without them overlapping the tile 'rug'".

IMO, the bathroom is 'finished'. It may not be what others have in mind, but it is finished. Unless the buyer is super laid back, they will want to change *something*. Renters will most likely look at the floor plan, space, and rent. Unless something is dangerous, I can't imagine the sinks being a factor in finding a renter.

Just a general musing about the comments that say the bathroom is finished as is.  Based on the OP's comments, this is a home with many custom upgrades. Buyers expect that throughout the house, especially in this market. It would be different if the house were in a lower end price range, or if the rest of the house didn't have the other upgrades. While a buyer might change something, they don't want to go in with the expectation that they must change it.

We bought a house a few years ago that was completely remodeled inside--except that the owners ran out of money at the master bathroom. The house remained unsold for a year. We were sure it had to do with the fact that the master bath had Walmart-style fixtures and a master bedroom closet about the size of a sink.

It's not a lot of money for the OP to spend, when compared to the big picture.  It's about two weeks' worth of rent.

It looks fine to me. I'd ask a real estate agent before spending any money.

I agree. When I sold our house, I talked to the RE agent. There were some things we had to do to bring the house up to more recent codes and the house was less than 10 years old (and we owned it for only 5). You never know what those things might be, especially since you did a lot of the work on your house yourselves. 

Personally, I think the bathroom looks fine as is, it wouldn't be a priority for me as a buyer or seller. I agree with Laura that people coming in will often want to change things anyway, and you never know what their taste might be. There is already at least one poster who would tear it all out. That's why I see it as a waste for you to re-do. 

Just a general musing about the comments that say the bathroom is finished as is.  Based on the OP's comments, this is a home with many custom upgrades. Buyers expect that throughout the house, especially in this market. It would be different if the house were in a lower end price range, or if the rest of the house didn't have the other upgrades. While a buyer might change something, they don't want to go in with the expectation that they must change it.

We bought a house a few years ago that was completely remodeled inside--except that the owners ran out of money at the master bathroom. The house remained unsold for a year. We were sure it had to do with the fact that the master bath had Walmart-style fixtures and a master bedroom closet about the size of a sink.

It's not a lot of money for the OP to spend, when compared to the big picture.  It's about two weeks' worth of rent.

I just don't think it is to that degree that it needs to be changed out.  Lisa is on a VERY tight schedule and the less she has to do before moving overseas the better. 

Why would you need 2 sinks?  What are people doing in the bathroom that needs 2 sinks? my imagination doesn't stretch that far :huh:

Lots of people share the bathroom!  Kids brushing their teeth at the same time, teen girls putting make up on at the same time....husband and wife getting ready at the same time.

I have never ever had to share a bathroom with others! :scared:  :svengo:

Hmm....Interesting.  LOL.  My dh and I have a tiny little bathroom and we still share much of the time.  We shower together...I put make up on and brush my teeth while he showers....we would LOVE to have a big bathroom so we could get ready at the same time.

When I was growing up my best friend and I often shared the bathroom. 

Seriously am I the only one?

I have never ever had to share a bathroom with others! :scared:  :svengo:

You mean at all?  Not while someone is actually using the toilet, but for all of the other bathroom uses, you've never shared?  

I find that as shocking as you seem to find sharing!  There's just so many ways to live!

You mean at all?  Not while someone is actually using the toilet, but for all of the other bathroom uses, you've never shared?  

I find that as shocking as you seem to find sharing!  There's just so many ways to live!

For ordinary bathroom use, no I have never shared. We have 2 bathrooms. When one is in use people use the other or wait their turn.

I have never seen a house with 2 sinks in the bathroom. Mind you I have never gone into a real  mansion, but I have been in many many houses.

For ordinary bathroom use, no I have never shared. We have 2 bathrooms. When one is in use people use the other or wait their turn.

I have never seen a house with 2 sinks in the bathroom. Mind you I have never gone into a real  mansion, but I have been in many many houses.

One of the houses I grew up in had two sinks in the main (not master) bathroom.  It wasn't a mansion.  It was a 2-story, plus basement, 4 bedroom house.

My house is one of the very few houses that I have been in that have the toilet in the bathroom. and that is most probably because DH built it and is Canadian, most Australian houses have the toilet in a separate room. ( except onsweets)

My master has an en suite, and the toilet is in its own tiny room within the master bath. Is that what you mean? Or is it completely separate from the rest of the bathroom?

My master has an en suite, and the toilet is in its own tiny room within the master bath. Is that what you mean? Or is it completely separate from the rest of the bathroom?

what I mean is that most Aussie houses have the toilet in a completely separate room usually just bigger than a cupboard size, often off the laundry or off the hall way.  Older houses had the toilet as a separate building from the house and have just sort of extended the house to join up to it so it is possible that you have to go  out of the house into an enclosed porch to find it.

My house doesn't have an en suite. The toilets are right in the bathroom  we also have a laundry that is not attached to the house with a little room with a toilet in it. Handy if you have people camping as they can use it without coming into the house at night.

sorry for my my spelling for en suite :o

I would leave it as is. I have never heard of having a bathroom with two sinks. seems sort of crazy to me to spend money on a working bathroom to rent out or sell a house.

If you visit display houses of the major builders, they have had 2 sink ensuites for a few years now. 1 sink is bad enough to clean let alone 2 of the bloody things lol

Most houses in our price range actually have three full baths upstairs.  We didn't have the money to add in an extra bath (although there is room for it).  So, we broke the one hall bathroom into separate spaces (toilet/shower) and double sink area.  5 kids share this bathroom.  

As a family we have had huge bathrooms (1st house)

Tiny bathrooms (kids bath was "normal", master bath had one 2' vanity next to the toilet and a tiny shower...I was pregnant and at 8 mos. my belly touched the opposite wall while I was showering...no way to get two people in there, unless they were little-kid-sized)...and one shared bathroom for 7.  That was a total lack of privacy.  We did what we could, but when people had to go, they had to go.

This house is like a little slice of heaven for us after that.  

We met with our 2nd Realtor yesterday -- she focuses on selling homes.  She agreed that in order to be competitive the bathroom sinks need to be replaced, but that it didn't need to be fancy ;)  There wasn't anything on my list that she said we could do without.  Given our time frame, the house will most likely rent before it sells at the price we really need (given the concessions we need to be prepared to make).  IF we were listing in May, and had 3 good months, we probably could sell at our price without an issue.  If the house were ready to list TODAY we probably could, too.  But, with only 3-4 weeks...our chances go way down.  Rent-wise, we have a bit more flexibility in negotiating the pricing.  

Meeting with the 3rd Realtor today -- she focuses on renting/managing homes.  She is the manager for my husband's boss's home in the area.  On the phone she was adamant that not only could she get our house rented, but that she could get it rented quickly and for the price we would like.

On the unfortunate side, dh's back is out.  He has been out of commission for 3 days.  I'm running around trying to get materials purchased and delivered...as well as trying to find all of the stuff he needs to get paperwork done (YAY, found our passports!).  I am hoping he will be able to take off the next two weeks to work on the house.  Without some real time (or a volunteer, experienced crew), we have no hope of getting it all done if he's incapacitated.

Honestly, I would leave it. Either people will love it and leave it, or hate it and start from scratch themselves. I think it looks cool as is!

I would save the money for anything that comes up during the process. We've bought/sold 4 homes and, IME, buyers or inspectors usually find something that needs repaired. Even in nearly brand new homes.