Menu

Women who predominately (or always) wear dresses (cc)

Luanne

Where would one wear a cape like that? It's gorgeous, but I can't imagine anywhere that I would wear it and not feel like I was in a costume. 

Me?  I'd wear it anywhere.  Church, out with friends, anytime I'd be dressed nicer than workout gear, really.

But I do know what you mean, I just don't let that bother me.  :D 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you ladies do about *ahem* thigh chafing?

I have a pair of very short leggings, but only one pair. I don't feel comfortable not wearing anything underneath the skirts, but I don't want to wear shorts either.

Anything especially made for this issue?

:bigear:

I wear cotton leggings in the winter. I have loved stretchy cotton capris under shorter skirts, but I wore those out :( I haven't been wearing anything special under my cotton skirts this summer, and I've been fine. (Shrug)

I have a pair of very short leggings, but only one pair. I don't feel comfortable not wearing anything underneath the skirts, but I don't want to wear shorts either. 

These---called variously pettipants, culottes, culotte slip, split slip----

I know they carry the same sort of thing at many sites online. I do wear exclusively longer full skirts (mid-calf or longer) because I prefer them. The bike short idea is interesting.

ETA: every time I try to put in a link, the site cuts it out of the post, including anything in the paragraph following it----anyone else having that issue? Anyway, they are nylon, like a regular half slip, and the ones I get have the adjustable hemline, where you can snip off 2 or 4 inches, no sewing needed. Since I like the thin broomstick skirts, I would need some sort of slip anyway, so these work well.

If you gals haven't tried spanx yet then I highly recommend it.  I feel like I'm wearing grandmother underpants with them on but they slim me down perfectly in a dress (I'm 20 pounds overweight and short), are slick so I don't need a slip, and prevent thigh chaffing.

414YgMbpAyL._SX342_.jpg

I love how they have a size two model showing these off.  Yeah.  If I was that skinny I wouldn't need Spanx because my thighs wouldn't touch. 

I plan on wearing it everywhere when/if I get one. I don't mind being known as the eccentric old broad.

It's fun!  I love to throw on something unusual with a simple dress.  It makes me feel like my life is spicy and exotic when really I'm just going to Aldi in my station wagon.

I got my order today from holy clothing.  I was amazed how fast it came since it shipped from India.

I love the skirt.  It has a draw string and the measurements on the site matched the skirt.

The shirt was a size too big and made me feel like a cow. I thought since it came down over my hips it would make me look thinner. Instead it made me look fatter.  I am sixty pounds overweight.   And a little self conscious about how I look.

My mom ordered a shirt for herself. She ordered a medium.  She is not overweight and with a straighter skirt it looks nice.

I am not sure what I will do. I might order a large and wear it with a straighter skirt or I might just get a refund.

The quality is nice and the embroidery on the shirts is pretty.

This is what I ordered  http://holyclothing.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2931/s/tesha-empire-waist-gypsy-embroidered-boho-top-shirt-blouse/

http://holyclothing.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/12418/s/esmeralda-victorian-tiered-ruffles-gothic-elastic-waist-skirt/

You ladies might enjoy this site. Everything is custom made and so beautiful. http://www.eshakti.com/

I have a few dresses from there (all found at Value Village of all places, in new condition) and they are pretty decent. I am wearing one right now. I especially love that their dresses have pockets as a default. All of them. Real pockets. That my whole hand can fit inside and not some teensy pocket fit only for a single paper bill folded flat that you have to shimmy 2 fingers in very carefully to get at. I've never understood why so many clothing manufacturers assume that if one is a girl-person and not a boy-person that they don't want or need some fricking pockets. We don't all excel in the art of purses. I need pockets large enough for my phone, the altoids case I use as a wallet and my keys to feel like a whole person ready to tackle the day. The eShakti dresses I have all wear well with stuff in the pockets. It's awesome.

How do you all buy dresses online?  Maybe it is just because I don't know what looks good on me, but I have to try things on.  Even when a personal shopper picks things out for me (and I figure they choose with some ideas in mind of what might look good) only half of what they choose makes me look good.  I don't like the Babushka look because it makes me look like I"m 80 but I don't like the 9 months pregnant look (because I'm an apple shape) either.  

I stick to a few general styles I know are flattering on me when I order online and I don't hesitate to pay return shipping to return stuff I don't like (rare). I know what my favorites look like so I look for things like that. There are plenty of cute clothing styles that I know will not be cute and flattering on me so I avoid them. I hate dressing rooms so I usually try things on at home before I decide if I am keeping it even if I buy it in a brick and mortar store. I'm picky. Can you tell? LOL. That said, I don't order a ton online but that is mostly because the bulk of my clothes are thrifted or swapped with friends. When I buy new, it is usually online.

If I click on the skirt link a few posts above, scroll down I see 'actual garment measurements' chart. Then under that is 'body measurement chart'. Then a link under that for international sizes.

I can see those too. On the "actual garment measurements" a 37" waist would be between 3X and 4X but on the body measurement chart it is 1X. So I'm confused. :(

I can see those too. On the "actual garment measurements" a 37" waist would be between 3X and 4X but on the body measurement chart it is 1X. So I'm confused. :(

I don't know if this is correct, but I believe the measurement of the garment is usually bigger than the measurement of the person in it, unless the fabric is super skin tight, stretchy stuff.

So you don't actually need the measurements given for the garment to find your size, they just give an idea of how tight or loose the fit is. Does that make sense?

I don't know if this is correct, but I believe the measurement of the garment is usually bigger than the measurement of the person in it, unless the fabric is super skin tight, stretchy stuff.

So you don't actually need the measurements given for the garment to find your size, they just give an idea of how tight or loose the fit is. Does that make sense?

Almost. :(

Maybe I'm not measuring myself properly. I seem to be 4" skinnier than yesterday. If I can't get that right, it's no wonder I can't decide what to buy. Maybe I should measure myself every day for a week and take the average. :p This is the person who managed to make a frock a size small and one that would have fit an 11 month pregnancy in it, both out of the same measurements. I'm really not good at this stuff and don't know why. It can't really be this complicated. :rofl:

I love reading this! I tend to go through seasons when I want to wear more dresses/skirts, but for the past five years I've been either nursing or pregnant. I'm currently feeling it now, but at 15w prego (and still nursing!), I don't want to invest in maternity clothes I don't "need".

I got my order today from holy clothing.  I was amazed how fast it came since it shipped from India.

I love the skirt.  It has a draw string and the measurements on the site matched the skirt.

The shirt was a size too big and made me feel like a cow. I thought since it came down over my hips it would make me look thinner. Instead it made me look fatter.  I am sixty pounds overweight.   And a little self conscious about how I look.

My mom ordered a shirt for herself. She ordered a medium.  She is not overweight and with a straighter skirt it looks nice.

I am not sure what I will do. I might order a large and wear it with a straighter skirt or I might just get a refund.

This is what I ordered  http://holyclothing.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2931/s/tesha-empire-waist-gypsy-embroidered-boho-top-shirt-blouse/

http://holyclothing.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/12418/s/esmeralda-victorian-tiered-ruffles-gothic-elastic-waist-skirt/

Bah, Had bad advice in my last post. 

Okay, the shirt flares at the hips so that will add bulk. It's also very long. If you're shortwaisted then covering your hips up like that can add bulk. Play with the length, making it shorter by folding it under. See if that helps. If it does, add a drawstring to the hem so you can tighten it and have it sit where you want it too. If it's too large in the torso then a few darts should fix that. 

Length of shirts is tricky. Sometimes we try to hide too much and it makes the "problem" worse. 

Bah, Had bad advice in my last post. 

Okay, the shirt flares at the hips so that will add bulk. It's also very long. If you're shortwaisted then covering your hips up like that can add bulk. Play with the length, making it shorter by folding it under. See if that helps. If it does, add a drawstring to the hem so you can tighten it and have it sit where you want it too. If it's too large in the torso then a few darts should fix that. 

Length of shirts is tricky. Sometimes we try to hide too much and it makes the "problem" worse. 

Okay, I am jumping in because this has been so lovely to follow. :) I wear dresses all the time. I love them. I run a business and home school my son and have to look neat all the dang time. However, I love dresses that make me feel like I am wearing pajamas so I shop Title Nine and Prana online. I have no time to shop so it is always online. This is my favorite. http://www.titlenine.com/product/167504.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&from=fn#.Ue_db5G9KSM

I own it in every color. I don't have to wear a bra with it so my life is so perfect on the days I get to wear it I just can't stand it.

This is the one I am wearing now. http://www.prana.com/quinn-dress-short-length.html?color=Berry%20Flora

I can't recommend prana enough. The customer service is fantastic and I wear the dresses for years. Nothing I have wrinkles!

I am a feminist and am not religious at all. My husband doesn't give a fiddle flop what I wear and if I won the lottery I would wear the exact same clothes. I am 44 and also don't care how age appropriate I look. I just want to look neat, pretty, like I care about myself and I need to look a little bit professional.

Okay, I am jumping in because this has been so lovely to follow. :) I wear dresses all the time. I love them. I run a business and home school my son and have to look neat all the dang time. However, I love dresses that make me feel like I am wearing pajamas so I shop Title Nine and Prana online. I have no time to shop so it is always online. This is my favorite. http://www.titlenine.com/product/167504.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&from=fn#.Ue_db5G9KSM

I own it in every color. I don't have to wear a bra with it so my life is so perfect on the days I get to wear it I just can't stand it.

This is the one I am wearing now. http://www.prana.com/quinn-dress-short-length.html?color=Berry%20Flora

I can't recommend prana enough. The customer service is fantastic and I wear the dresses for years. Nothing I have wrinkles!

I am a feminist and am not religious at all. My husband doesn't give a fiddle flop what I wear and if I won the lottery I would wear the exact same clothes. I am 44 and also don't care how age appropriate I look. I just want to look neat, pretty, like I care about myself and I need to look a little bit professional.

Those are both so great. Thanks for the links.

Well, I hardly ever wear dresses or skirts, and definitely not for religious reasons ( though I am a Christian), but have actually been picking up a few skirts at Goodwill (the best place to get clothes, in my opinion) the last few weeks. This came after I saw a woman who appeared to be near my age, 47, in town one day wearing a knee-length casual skirt and a nice t-shirt top and sandals. She looked just fabulous, so I thought maybe I could get away with it too. I was trying on my skirts the other day when my dd14 informed me that I "looked funny." I asked her why, and she said because the skirt was short, lol. Oh well. I guess I'll just go around looking "funny" anyway.  :lol:

I couldn't work out what size to buy at Holy Clothing. The two tables seem to give the same measurements different sizes. Or am I being silly?

The measurement charts did seem confusing. One was for body measurements the other was the actual garment measurement. I did not find the chart to be accurate.  My bust is 44"  The xl shirt that I ordered said the actual garment measurement in the shirt was 44" I ordered it anyways because I find those usually not to be accurate. Well even though according to this measurement the shirt should have been too small. It turned out a size too big.

Love those dresses! Do they have enough support for large breasts?

Target has great dresses. I wear maxi dresses everyday. Like the above poster said, I feel like I'm wearing cool, comfortable pajamas but get complimented on the dresses a lot. I started wearing them regularly in pregnancy because I could not wear anything with a waistband because it would give me round ligament pains (even a stretchy waistband - weird). But they are great for postpartum, nursing, and just normal wear. They are not maternity dresses.

ETA: My legs and butt just aren't what they used to be, and find dresses more flattering.

Some of them, I would imagine. I think it helps a lot to read what other customers say in the comments section of each dress. It seems like a lot of the comments refer to specific body types and that helps oh so much. The Prana yoga tops are fantastic as far as support goes, by the way, and title nine rated their bra tops with barbells. The more barbells, the more support! It is awesome. Those Target maxi dresses are adorable.

IDup that was in response to you, above. I can't seem to understand this quote thing. Anyway, I love Target.

Love those dresses! Do they have enough support for large breasts?

Target has great dresses. I wear maxi dresses everyday. Like the above poster said, I feel like I'm wearing cool, comfortable pajamas but get complimented on the dresses a lot. I started wearing them regularly in pregnancy because I could not wear anything with a waistband because it would give me round ligament pains (even a stretchy waistband - weird). But they are great for postpartum, nursing, and just normal wear. They are not maternity dresses.

ETA: My legs and butt just aren't what they used to be, and find dresses more flattering.

Go further back in this thread and some ideas were tossed out :)

I rarely try things on in stores. I shop mainly second hand. 

I find that wrap styles are best for flattering fit. Stretch is good. A looser fit is more forgiving than a fitted one. 

this dress, in dark grey, is my favorite dress of all time. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=50129&vid=1&pid=326715062

My other favorite is very similar to this one. It is maternity and nursing-friendly, but you really can't tell. http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=94563Z10022&MasterCategory_Id=MC3

Since we are posting favorite dresses, here's mine:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-solid-cotton-modal-fit-and-flare-dress/id_234859

And look!  It's on sale right now.  You have my permission to go and buy one in every color.  :)  (*evil laugh*  I will pay you back for posting all these links to fantastic dresses that I want but probably shouldn't buy right now!)

I love that dress.  I have it in a number of color and wear it all the time.  It doesn't need ironing, just throw it in the washer and then dryer and go.  I wear it with a camisole underneath because I'm busty and feel a bit exposed otherwise.  Probably wouldn't be a problem for an average busted gal. 

Styles great with a camisole underneath or a sweater over the top or use it as a swim suit cover-up or throw it over a long sleeve blouse and leggings or just as it is with a push up bra and some high heels for a night on the town. 

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-solid-cotton-modal-fit-and-flare-dress/id_234859

And look! It's on sale right now. You have my permission to go and buy one in every color. :) (*evil laugh* I will pay you back for posting all these links to fantastic dresses that I want but probably shouldn't buy right now!)

I love that dress. I have it in a number of color and wear it all the time. It doesn't need ironing, just throw it in the washer and then dryer and go. I wear it with a camisole underneath because I'm busty and feel a bit exposed otherwise. Probably wouldn't be a problem for an average busted gal.

Styles great with a camisole underneath or a sweater over the top or use it as a swim suit cover-up or throw it over a long sleeve blouse and leggings or just as it is with a push up bra and some high heels for a night on the town.

Just ordered, thanks!

And look!  It's on sale right now.  You have my permission to go and buy one in every color.  :)  (*evil laugh*  I will pay you back for posting all these links to fantastic dresses that I want but probably shouldn't buy right now!)

I love that dress.  I have it in a number of color and wear it all the time.  It doesn't need ironing, just throw it in the washer and then dryer and go.  I wear it with a camisole underneath because I'm busty and feel a bit exposed otherwise.  Probably wouldn't be a problem for an average busted gal. 

I like it a lot Amy. I'm a plus sized gal (3X plus sized) with tummy rolls. Is it clingy??

Here's a very flattering dress for plus girlshttp://m.dressbarn.com/mt/www.dressbarn.com/detail/solid-cap-sleeve-faux-wrap-dress/101470534

Mine has a longer sleeve--prob they will bring it back this fall. There's anot

her company that sells it in a cinnamon brown color--maybe Chadwicks. Super flattering.

Ah here on clearancehttp://www.chadwicks.com/item/80000/407000/connected-apparel-side-ruched-dress-misses#

Wanted to add that if you use the code SPICE and pin 5120 is it 10% off the sale price!

I like it a lot Amy. I'm a plus sized gal (3X plus sized) with tummy rolls. Is it clingy??

Not clingy at all.  It's fitted through the bust and then flares out a little and becomes loose.  Not so loose that if feels like your wearing a gunny sack but just enough to be comfortable and feminine. 

Did I mention comfortable also?  Your DH wants you to buy it in every color.  :)

Get thee behind me, Satan!

Not clingy at all. It's fitted through the bust and then flares out a little and becomes loose. Not so loose that if feels like your wearing a gunny sack but just enough to be comfortable and feminine.

Did I mention comfortable also? Your DH wants you to buy it in every color. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update for anyone who was interested! I have been wearing either a skirt or dress for all of the time since I started but 2 days. My husband loves it, I find I'm feeling much more feminine and attractive, and it wasn't at ALL like I thought it would be. I found that what bothered me with dresses and skirts were pantyhose. That made them very uncomfortable for me. When my legs are free with comfy shoes - I love it!!!!!!

I still haven't purchased anything new, but hubby has commented that if I want to buy something, I most certainly can! 

I found that what bothered me with dresses and skirts were pantyhose. That made them very uncomfortable for me. When my legs are free with comfy shoes - I love it!!!!!!

Eeyick! I haven't worn "hose" in years and years and years.  I bought the Walmart biking shorts mentioned upthread and now wear those under my just-below-the-knee flouncy skirts, and I wear long black leggings with longer skirts.  SO much more comfortable than hose. Glad you're enjoying it!  I've been wearing mostly skirts for about three years now and like it as well. 

Eeyick! I haven't worn "hose" in years and years and years.  I bought the Walmart biking shorts mentioned upthread and now wear those under my just-below-the-knee flouncy skirts, and I wear long black leggings with longer skirts.  SO much more comfortable than hose. Glad you're enjoying it!  I've been wearing mostly skirts for about three years now and like it as well. 

Pants actually feel constraining now! 

Pants actually feel constraining now! 

I agree.  When I was working outside the home guys at my office would frequently comment on the fact that another gal and I would always wear dresses.  We used to be so amused by that.  They were in suits and ties talking about how uncomfortable we ladies must have been.  :)

And look! It's on sale right now. You have my permission to go and buy one in every color. :) (*evil laugh* I will pay you back for posting all these links to fantastic dresses that I want but probably shouldn't buy right now!)

I love that dress. I have it in a number of color and wear it all the time. It doesn't need ironing, just throw it in the washer and then dryer and go. I wear it with a camisole underneath because I'm busty and feel a bit exposed otherwise. Probably wouldn't be a problem for an average busted gal.

I got my dress last week and I wore it to Palm Springs with DH. It was so pretty and comfortable. I want to order more.

I found that what bothered me with dresses and skirts were pantyhose. That made them very uncomfortable for me. When my legs are free with comfy shoes - I love it!!!!!!

Pantyhose are tangible evidence of evil.  I commend you for getting rid of them.  If I had to wear pantyhose, I'd basically never wear dresses and skirts.  Thankfully I am of an age/location where tights or bare legs are perfectly acceptable and pantyhose are odd.  

Pantyhose are tangible evidence of evil.  I commend you for getting rid of them.  If I had to wear pantyhose, I'd basically never wear dresses and skirts.  Thankfully I am of an age/location where tights or bare legs are perfectly acceptable and pantyhose are odd.  

My husband is a "stocking" man, and how they connect to a garter, and so on...so he is very pro-stocking. ;) I can avoid panty hose because well, BOTH of us hate them. LOL 

I wear pantyhose.   :leaving:   Even though I'm in the same general location of Lucy and no one else wears them here, I would have to give out high powered sunglasses to protect people from the glare of my pasty legs if I didn't.  

Two words----longer dresses! ;)

I wear pantyhose.   :leaving:   Even though I'm in the same general location of Lucy and no one else wears them here, I would have to give out high powered sunglasses to protect people from the glare of my pasty legs if I didn't.  

If you like them, you like them.  It takes all kinds, right? :)  I very rarely see a woman here with pantyhose on.  Tights or leggings, yes.  Hose, no.  I am not a leg shaver and hose looks beyond dreadful over my (small amount) of leg hair.  If I am not wearing hose, most people don't even realize I don't shave my legs because the hair is very fine, light and sparse.  I can never seem to get the things on or off without shredding them.  They are like disposable items for me hence the evil remark- $5-10 bucks for something that won't last the hour.  I am really extremely unladylike aside from my fondness for skirts.  I used to work at a place where hose was expected.  I just wore tights or trousers.  

If you like them, you like them.  It takes all kinds, right? :)  I very rarely see a woman here with pantyhose on.  Tights or leggings, yes.  Hose, no.  I am not a leg shaver and hose looks beyond dreadful over my (small amount) of leg hair.  If I am not wearing hose, most people don't even realize I don't shave my legs because the hair is very fine, light and sparse.  I can never seem to get the things on or off without shredding them.  They are like disposable items for me hence the evil remark- $5-10 bucks for something that won't last the hour.  I am really extremely unladylike aside from my fondness for skirts.  I used to work at a place where hose was expected.  I just wore tights or trousers.  

I don't necessarily like them.  They just have become "one of those necessary things you put up with", like bras.  I just feel better wearing both hose and bras.  Hose takes care of the chafing problem for me and also the problem I have of wearing shoes because I cannot wear leather without something to take care of rubbing on my feet.  So the nylon between my necessary thigh region and my necessary foot region just seems not to matter so much!  And it has the added benefit of making people stop coming up to me and asking me if I have leukemia (true story).  But in the winter I definitely happily transfer to leggings.