Menu

The hidden dangers of keeping backyard chickens

Miss Marple

That would be so much more hilarious if it weren't so true! Our chickens came with the house when we bought it. At that point we knew nothing and spent every evening as a family herding them into the henhouse for bed. (Thankfully a neighbor caught us at it one night and straightened us out.) Then there were sheep (only 99 though, Margaret), goats, pigs, ducks, turkeys, steers...Before I knew it dh was picking up a milk cow on his way home from work. Thanks for the link, Cynthia.

That would be so much more hilarious if it weren't so true! Our chickens came with the house when we bought it. At that point we knew nothing and spent every evening as a family herding them into the henhouse for bed. (Thankfully a neighbor caught us at it one night and straightened us out.) Then there were sheep (only 99 though, Margaret), goats, pigs, ducks, turkeys, steers...Before I knew it dh was picking up a milk cow on his way home from work. Thanks for the link, Cynthia.

LOL! Luann, my sister and I were city gals who always yearned for the country life. So when we moved out here we got...chickens! We needed a few of each kind. You know, the ones with the top knots, the naked necks, the furry legged, the bantam sized...a whole rainbow assortment. We, too, spent many evenings catching and penning those little cuties. Then came the sheep...but you need a trained sheep dog so you have to get some Indian Runner ducks to train the dog so he can then herd the sheep. Well, the dangers of the coyotes and other big dogs in the neighborhood necessitated a llama to protect the sheep. But the llama was lonely so a donkey was purchased...of course with chickens comes the inevitable field mice and snakes...kitty cats can help with that...And a couple of good outside dogs will keep away the raccoons (but not always)....

When one has acerage there is no really good reason to not bring home a stray something or other :) Or no good reason not to keep a good dumped doggy.

Well, I have chickens and want goats. I think dh will probably draw the line at anything larger. On the other hand, he is at least as bad if not worse than I am about bringing home pets.

My boys are always bringing something home. Ds#3 called me once and said that a small fluffy white dog had been dumped at his employer's home and it had been hanging around for several days. Could he bring it home...pretty please, mom??? What he brought home was no *small* dog. He is fluffy and white, but he is a full grown male Siberian Husky! From my boys' perspective there is always room for another critter :)

I sent this video off to a friend of mine that I am concerned about.

Then I realized that she had already quit her job, moved to the Midwest (from Phoenix), and bought an acreage. :ohmy:

The last conversation I had with her husband was about making buckboard bacon.

I'm afraid there is no hope for their family. With the size of their garden, it is only a matter of time before they start to sell at the local Farmer's Market.

I laughed so hard at this because it is so true. I've always wanted a country/homestead lifestyle and DH has really got on board with that idea... especially in the last couple of years. Our five year plan kind of sounds like that "gateway livestock" rant!