Menu

Seriously Paula Deen?

gingersmom

I think it would be difficult to find anyone her age with her upbringing who did not use that word at some point in their life.

Agreed, BUT I don't see her admitting she used to use it, and is now ashamed of her past behavior.

I can think of a joke I once told in a rather public setting of which I am incredibly ashamed and would hope isn't seen as representative of my character. It was just plain stupid -- and it haunts me to this day.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few dissenting thoughts... Paula was under oath when she admitted saying the "N" word. She was under oath and did not lie. That says something about her character because there are a great many in this country who would have put their hand on the Bible, taken the oath, and lied to save their public face. Additionally, nothing I read said whether she said it yesterday or 50 years ago. She is a 66 year old white woman raised in the South during times of great social change. I think it would be difficult to find anyone her age with her upbringing who did not use that word at some point in their life.

She didn't lie because she didn't see the need to hide what she'd said. She's completely ignorant about the unethical foundation of these beliefs and the influence these beliefs have had on society in general.

This is exactly the kind of thing I think a lot of us try to address when mentoring our children in the fine art of deep thinking -- to be cognizant of information, to be cognizant of how that information is applied in a practical way, to be considerate of how one's actions affect others, to be skeptical, and to think critically. It's not enough to know a thing, it's important to analyze logically and rationally it against other pieces of knowledge. Deen wasn't trained up to do that, and sadly her exposure to society outside the South and its subsequent invitation to join the moral code of the 21st century was politely denied.

So yeah, I don't think this says anything more about her character than how ignorant she is with regards to social ethics.

Then again, brainwashed people don't always know they're brainwashed, so how could she know?

Well, I just had to check out this thread after seeing how popular it has become. I do believe in giving grace for the fact that this woman was born in a completely different time. However, 66 is not 106 either. My mom is 70 and she has used the n-word many, many times in her life (toward white people as much as black actually, but in a derogatory way); but she would certainly have the sense to not say it in front of anyone but her closest relatives/friends, i.e., in her own living room. When I was little, the n-word was bandied around quite a bit when folks got together for beers. "You n-----" was often said with a smile to one's [white] brother or close friend as a joking way of saying "you jerk." And while watching the news, if a rape perp was black, my mom would have a long string of cuss words ending with n------. And I recall my mom explaining that not all black people are n------s, only the ones with bad character, as PD seems to be saying at one point. For that matter, I clearly remember Chris Rock, not long ago, saying "I hate n-----s. I love black people, but I hate n------s." Followed by an explanation of the difference. So in short, it is simply honest to admit that the n-word and a few other slurs have crossed PD's lips over her lifetime. I don't think she should really be put on the defensive for doing what most people did in her younger years. But yeah, she should have shut up or come up with a better way to couch some of the comments. She really does sound clueless. Maybe she's getting Alzheimer's as someone above seems to be hinting.

And while watching the news, if a rape perp was black, my mom would have a long string of cuss words ending with n------. And I recall my mom explaining that not all black people are n------s, only the ones with bad character, as PD seems to be saying at one point. For that matter, I clearly remember Chris Rock, not long ago, saying "I hate n-----s. I love black people, but I hate n------s." Followed by an explanation of the difference.

This is what I have taken away from the people I know who use this word- they use it in a similar fashion as they would say "white trash." Obviously, both are rude but the N word is way beyond, for some reason? I guess I'm confused why it is the only real blacklisted word in our society so much so that one cannot even type out the full word.

This is what I have taken away from the people I know who use this word- they use it in a similar fashion as they would say "white trash." Obviously, both are rude but the N word is way beyond, for some reason? I guess I'm confused why it is the only real blacklisted word in our society so much so that one cannot even type out the full word.

Reread American history, focusing particularly on the years 1619 to 1964. Note the public policies, formal and informal, that were practiced, protected, and even celebrated where the races were concerned. Consider the response to deviation from these social expectations, both individually and collectively as a society. Note the differences the color of skin had on said differences.

Because fellow citizens had that name screamed at them while they were beaten by clubs, attacked by dogs, and blocked from entering schools. Others heard the word while relatives were dragged off to be raped or lynched.

That's why.

The N word is the representation of all the resentment, discrimination, enslavement, and abuse that Black people have suffered at the hands of White people. That is why it is perhaps the word that is most taboo to use in our society. I don't think 'white trash' comes anywhere near comparison.

As for the Chris Rock mentions I've been seeing on the web, the Daily Show just made a comment about this in the core difference between Chris Rock's satirical look at the perpetuation of stereotypes within the Black community vs Paula Deen's racial slurs. I know upthread someone mentioned this and included a link to the fact there are reasons that some Black people use the term with each other but it is NEVER ok for it to be used against them by another race. Chris Rock himself retired the routine because he felt it was being used by some white people to justify racism and justify the use of the word.

I agreed with Chocolate Reign twice today. What's the world coming to? ... I would add that it really bothers me when my mom (still in her own living room) uses the old racist expressions when I'm visiting, because my daughters are brown, and I don't want them thinking someone they love (and who loves them) would judge people based on their skin color. Even if "n-----" only refers to blacks of low character, there really isn't anything similar for whites. It gives the impression that color is the basic element in whatever else is objectionable about the person being called "n------."

Looks like complaints are being added:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/23/paula-deen-scandal-continues-employees-tell-rainbow-push-alleged-discrimination_n_3484607.html?ref=topbar

I have to say, I know I've seen a few times 'political correctness' being thrown around a negative on this forum and other places, but I can't even fathom why people would be writing on FB and other sites that PD should get her show back because 'we need to move away from this crazy political correctness'. Oh, the crazy political correctness of not using racial slurs!

Looks like complaints are being added:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/23/paula-deen-scandal-continues-employees-tell-rainbow-push-alleged-discrimination_n_3484607.html?ref=topbar

I have to say, I know I've seen a few times 'political correctness' being thrown around a negative on this forum and other places, but I can't even fathom why people would be writing on FB and other sites that PD should get her show back because 'we need to move away from this crazy political correctness'. Oh, the crazy political correctness of not using racial slurs!

Sometimes people hear a sound bite and fill in the details with thier own bias.

I'd be willing to bet that most people posting on Facebook about PC run amok don't realize that they didn't cancel her contract, they announced thier intention not to renew it. There is a big difference.

I would also be willing to bet that a large percentage don't get the fact that she isn't being sued for using a racial slur, but for a pattern of behavior that created a hostile work environment. Again, big diffence.

And, I agree with you, if saying it is inappropriate to use the N word is political correctness out of control than we have really lost sight of reality. *sigh*

I would also be willing to bet that a large percentage don't get the fact that she isn't being sued for using a racial slur, but for a pattern of behavior that created a hostile work environment. Again, big diffence.

This. Exactly this.

Over the weekend my mother-in-law brought up the PD mess and she was saying, "well, it's not against the law to use the word n-- and if she wants to recreate a slave wedding there's no law against that either. And, it's a good thing it's not because I'd be locked up for sure." This is an educated woman we're talking about here - a social worker who deals with the lowest of the low of all races - and I still had to explain to her that, no it isn't against the law BUT that is not what she's on trial for either. She is being accused of creating a hostile work environment and these things are a testament to her character which then dictates behavior. I love my MIL but it was like talking to a wall. She believes that BECAUSE she is a (retired) social worker that she is justified in passing judgement because she's "seen what they're really like."

What I find additionally disturbing is the trend of not accepting that even though words may be legal, that does not mean there are not equally legal reactions to and consequences of those words.

Fools rail about freedom of speech or freedom of religion or freedom to be ignorant . . . and yet seem blind to the freedoms of other less foolish and less bigoted and less ignorant people to react to their foolishness, bigotry, or simple nastiness.

I see this and similar situations as good teaching moments about both the wrongheadedness of using those words and also the natural consequences of those words and the thought patterns behind them.

Whether it is Paula Deen's bigotry or Rush Limbaugh's nastiness and misogyny, intelligent and reasonable people can and should respond by changing their listening, watching, shopping patterns. And, since the Supreme Court has (strangely enough IMHO) generally treated corporations as people, businesses are also free to use their better judgement to avoid associations with people who willfully demonstrate their foolishness, bigotry, misogyny, and nastiness.

I probably should stay out of this because I know I will be seen as a racist but I just can't. I was born and raised in Mississippi and now live in Louisiana. N..is a word used frequently around my house growing up especially by my granddad who lived with us. I have used the word many times myself over the years. It isn't something I use today or allow my kids to say unless we are discussing a topic like racism. When my grandad used it, it wasn't always about "bad blacks", every black was typically called a n...I on the other hand do think there is a vast difference in a n...and a black person but that the term is too offensive to use to discribe the difference daily. I am told there is a vast difference in the blacks in the north and in the south but as I have never been north, I am not sure. I have also been told there is a vast difference between whites of both areas. Some say this is the reason for the n word to not be as taboo in the north as the south. Maybe, maybe not. I don't believe it is always a class thing though. Growing up, I was the only white person on my school bus. Along our route, it was drastically obvious that I was the poorest family around. Our family of 7 lived in a converted cow's milk barn of 850 sq ft complete with sloped rough concrete floors. My mom's entire family didn't get running water to her house until the year I was born, 1974. Anyway, I say this to point out that "class" doesn't always come into play.

I would like to give you a couple of examples of "Does using the N word itself make you racist?"

As I said, my grandad used the word frequently however his best friend was Horse, a black man that lived nearby. Horse was over our house almost daily and vice versa. When he needed something, my granddad helped and vice versa. Many times they helped each other with gardening. They had a mutual respect for each other and friendship which continued until my granddad went to the nursing home yet my grandad called him N to his face. Was my granddad racist? Not everything is so black and white. (no pun intended) I am sure some would say that there was no mutual respect there yet I saw it with my eyes. As the adult that had to place my granddad in the nursing home, I have been approached by Horse and many of my granddad's other friends, black and white, with confirmation that he was a well liked and respected man. These were not people being nice but people with real stories and love for him. (My granddad has severe Alzheimers, is now blind and nearly deaf.) Still I know my granddad called all the blacks N privately and publicly yet they cared enough for him to see that the word didn't hold the meaning with him that it did in slavery times.

Discussing this topic with dh, he said he has an example to add. His older uncle was having his large family Thanksgiving dinner. They were just about ready to eat and he noticed a few kids that lived the farm over standing outside watching. The spread of food was "on the grounds" meaning outside as their house was too small for everyone. Even though he didn't know these kids personally, he knew the family was too poor to have a big dinner such as this. Without a second thought, he invited the kids right up to the table to share in the dinner and carry some home to family. Now when he spoke of those kids later, he would say, "Yeah, I knew those little N kids wouldn't have anything to eat and I wanted to help them." Would it be better that he not use the word? Yes! but does the use of that word make him a bad man that is nothing but a racist and deserves punishment? Not at all. If he were a true racist of that degree, he would have never had those kids eat with him especially at a big Thanksgiving dinner.

For myself, I choose not to use the word as I know many find it too polarizing and offensive. However when I want to use it, it is always in reference to a lowlife black person. Other than out of respect for other's feelings, I dont see it as any difference than calling that person a thug or lowlife. Yes, it has a history but I think by holding on to that association, it gives the word too much power. The people alive today didn't participate in slavery, black or white. It is time to move on. I am not saying racism doesn't happen but saying a person is racist and believing they deserve to lose their job,etc for a word is ridiculous. Too much power. I also don't care to hear that I don't understand as a white person as my ansestors were not treated as badly as slaves or blacks in later years. I am considered a white person but my great grandmother was 1/2 Native American and I have Jewish ancestry as well. Both of these races have a history that at least matches slavery times. There are many terms that are "politically incorrect" referring to both races yet you don't see people making as big a fuss when someone uses those terms as the N word. If someone wants to decorate their homes at Thanksgiving with Indians and Pilgrims, hang a mass produced dreamcatcher, or decorate kids rooms in cowboys and Indians, you won't hear mass outrage. If a restaurant has a western style and has a large Indian statue, most won't boycott until removed. My friend's mom, a member of the Blackfoot tribe, hates how Indians are portrayed in general. She explained to me that even though some Indians helped the Pilgrims, the decor used today is very distasteful in her opinion. She also hates when someone purchased mass produced Indian items to decorate their homes as typically there is meaning or a ritual behind them that is discarded. I know I had her daughter make my daughter a dreamcatcher. She knows us personally but asked a few questions of my daughter pertaining to her future, her dreams, and life in general before making them. She said that she could only use certain feathers as she was only "part Blackfoot" and if my daughter wanted say an Eagle feather, she would have to have a different person make it. Each thing she placed on the catcher had a specific meaning and there was a ritual to how it was made that had to be followed. For her to see some mass produced, it is insulting and cheapened. Yet she doesn't expect this country to ever have the same outrage for her race as they do with blacks or the use of the N word.

As for Paula Deen, I will say if she was using this word in her business and making employess uncomfortable, then she should answer for it. You must be professional first and foremost but in her private life it is irrelevant. Saying she would love to have black men in white tuxes as waitstaff is tacky, imo, but not necessarily racist. Is she choosing this because she loves the overall look such as the contrast between their skin and the tuxes? Does she just prefer the look of black men in white tuxes vs white men? Or maybe she is racists and wants to live in a time where black men serve her. I don't know nor do I think it is relevant unless it happened at her place of business and therefore created a hostile work envireonment.

Oh and since I know people are going to say I am so racist, I will do the typical "white person" justification....All my life some of my best friends have been black. I would never even think of them as a N. (I have had some of them point out members of thier family as N because they don't take care of their kids, homes, etc.) And to really blow your mind as racist as I am, I even dated and had sex with a black boy in highschool. Secretly of course as my family would have disowned me. Yet now I prefer for people to date inside their own race but am not necessarily against it as long as they realize the ramifications that come from it. When my cousin decided to date a black man, many in our family caused trouble for her. For our annual entire family Thanksgiving dinner, some didn't want her boyfriend and even her baby to be there. I fought back and refused to have my family attend if they were not welcomed. We couldn't agree so for the last 3 years we have not had another large family gathering. Sad. Yet because I have used the N word and even disagree that it is as horrible as some make it seem, I am a racist that deserves what she gets I guess. Hope you never find a true racist!

There is not one person who has never said the wrong thing. We have all done it she has apologized over and over people should leave her alone. Everyone has said something they regret how would you like it if your mistake was put online for all to see then judged by millions of people? There are a ton of things in this world worth freaking out about this is not one of them.

And, since the Supreme Court has (strangely enough IMHO) generally treated corporations as people, businesses are also free to use their better judgement to avoid associations with people who willfully demonstrate their foolishness, bigotry, misogyny, and nastiness.

I think that sometimes corporations are a little too quick to pull the trigger on an employee. PD doesn't seem to get it, even now, so I have no problem with the Food Network not renewing their contract.

But there have been other instances where a broadcaster says something stupid, is immediately and seemingly genuinely remorseful, and still gets canned. It seems to me that there is room for the network (or radio station) to make it well known that they are not happy with what was said, and that the employee is "on probation", and will be terminated if there is another instance.

On the other hand, you've got people like Rush who say some of the most hateful garbage and people love it.

There is not one person who has never said the wrong thing. We have all done it she has apologized over and over people should leave her alone. Everyone has said something they regret how would you like it if your mistake was put online for all to see then judged by millions of people? There are a ton of things in this world worth freaking out about this is not one of them.

But this isn't a case of PD saying one thing wrong at one time. This is about her creating a hostile work environment. There seems to be a pattern over a number of years.

kahlanne, thanks for your perspective. I can see it is heart-felt and no, I don't think any of it makes you a racist. This is a very complex issue, whether people like it or not. If we ever solve the problem of racism against blacks - unlikely in my lifetime for many reasons (including the fact that some people would lose their jobs/importance were there no more racism to fight), then the next protected class or downtrodden group will come into the spotlight and it will never end as long as the human race survives. I think it's an important dialogue to have, but I think as long as people are being civil, all sides should be heard with equal respect. People can agree to disagree without intimidating each other into silence.

But this isn't a case of PD saying one thing wrong at one time. This is about her creating a hostile work environment. There seems to be a pattern over a number of years.

My understanding is that this is the court case, which is still in process. So, again as far as I can tell, she is being judged in the court of public opinion. I am not personally a fan of Paula Deen, and the allegations coming out combined with her own statements are not encouraging, but they are still allegations and she does still deserve her day in court.

My understanding is that this is the court case, which is still in process. So, again as far as I can tell, she is being judged in the court of public opinion. I am not personally a fan of Paula Deen, and the allegations coming out combined with her own statements are not encouraging, but they are still allegations and she does still deserve her day in court.

Legally, yes, she deserves to have her day in court. It is extremely hard these days to not have a "trial" of public opinion, especially when a celebrity is involved.

At the same time, corporations who have been associated with her have the right to now disassociate from her. Sometimes they simply don't want the negative publicity swirling around their name until the matter can be resolved. (And, yes I am the same person who just argued that sometimes corporations are too quick to sever ties.)

There are numerous examples where a legal issue and a civil issue have had differing outcomes. Think about the OJ Simpson case -- he was acquitted of murder, yet found liable for wrongful death. Perplexing.

Sure she does, and she will have it.

She is, understandably, receiving poor press right now but public opinion will not determine the outcome of the legal proceedings.

She has not been mistreated or persecuted by Food Network or any of her other employers from what I can tell.

Food Network isn't breaking thier contract with her, they are just not planning to renew the contract. It stinks for her that the contract was almost up. If her ratings were slipping or if she was being a witch and rude to studio executives would anyone really feel it unfair that they not renew the contract?

Her behavior, her public image, is a huge part of what Food Network pays her for. She, through her own choices, screwed her public image. (The diabetic thing is not so far in the past as to be a non-issue in her current image.) DH works for a media outlet and I have seen the powers that be decide not to renew for far less than this.

Even if you feel badly for her, Food Network does not have any other choice in this situation.

But Food Network doesn't need to wait until the court case is decided. The things that have come out of her mouth make it clear that she doesn't get it. And *that* makes her a legal liability.

But Food Network doesn't need to wait until the court case is decided. The things that have come out of her mouth make it clear that she doesn't get it. And *that* makes her a legal liability.

And to Food Network, a financial liability.

So, this thread got me thinking about a certain scene from the movie White Chicks.

With that in mind, even if you never have used or would use that word, do you sing it if it's in a song you like?

The word is in the chorus part of Big Poppa, but with an -a ending instead of an -er ending. I like that song and I do sing along with it in the car, which is where I do the vast majority of my singing along. :) However, I never use that word and I never have, not with an -a or an -er ending.

This is an educated woman we're talking about here - a social worker who deals with the lowest of the low of all races

why is this attitude any different than the one being debated???

I do not mean that in a derogatory fashion. I mean that she deals with people of all races who are at their lowest point, those who are at the bottom of the heap. I can see where it may have been misinterpreted based on the way I phrased it.

I would like to get your opinions on Walmart now choosing to not restock her items. When someone points out that they sell rap music CDs with the N word, does it change your opinions? Not necessarily about her being racist but on Wal-Mart's position on her racism. Can someone who feels it isn't a double standard explain the difference to me?

I would like to get your opinions on Walmart now choosing to not restock her items. When someone points out that they sell rap music CDs with the N word, does it change your opinions? Not necessarily about her being racist but on Wal-Mart's position on her racism. Can someone who feels it isn't a double standard explain the difference to me?

Sorry about triple posts. I am on my phone and it is being weird. I would like to add that many have compared what she did to Lil Wayne standing on the flag and receiving less outrage. Many pointed out he doesn't work for food networ. Wouldn't that put him and Paula on the same level where walmart is concerned?

Using the n-word is only part of what she is accused of. Did you read the articles and testimony linked in the other thread? The court case deals with a long history of sexism and racism allowed in her *business*. When questioned about some of it (pornography on work computers or little black guys in shorts and suits to staff a wedding, for example) she didn't seem to understand *at all* why it was a problem. You can't do business with someone who is viewed as a legal/financial liability.

So obviously Paula Deen is nuts and if the manager is telling the truth, what she said about the wedding was horrible. But I have a spin-off question...

Would it be racist to request only black servers for a party just for the simple fact that they look way better in white suits than white guys do? Because that is an undeniable fact.

Sorry, that matchy-matchy sentiment reminds me of wanting a matched team of horses for your carriage. That does look very smart. But people are not horses.

And yeah, not a big fan of the matchy requirements to be a bunny waitress at the Playboy club, for example. Or even Hooters. Waitstaff are there to provide a professional service, not to provide esthetic backdrop. They should be valued for their ability to do their jobs well, not by how much you like looking at them.

Because she is being accused of running a business that was a hostile place for black people to work. That is against the law. So yes, "dumb crap she said" is the point.

Can anyone please explain then, why the person bringing the lawsuit against her is white? Did they refuse to hire black people? And if not, why are they not the ones bringing the suit re: hostile work environment?

Did PD say stupid crap? Yep. Did she use the N word in that particular reference to the "dream" wedding plans. Maybe. However, this suit brought about by a WHITE woman screams: Gold Digger, in this particular case.

ETA: I am not defending, nor accusing PD either way. I am just forming a limited opinion (subject to change with additional evidence) based on my very limited "facts" in this case (read the first linked article).

Can anyone please explain then, why the person bringing the lawsuit against her is white? Did they refuse to hire black people? And if not, why are they not the ones bringing the suit re: hostile work environment?

Did PD say stupid crap? Yep. Did she use the N word in that particular reference to the "dream" wedding plans. Maybe. However, this suit brought about by a WHITE woman screams: Gold Digger, in this particular case.

ETA: I am not defending, nor accusing PD either way. I am just forming a limited opinion (subject to change with additional evidence) based on my very limited "facts" in this case (read the first linked article).

I have not read any of the Paula Deen coverage and had never heard of it until the WTM board. However, my gut reaction to your question is another question: why would being white exempt anyone from discomfort of a workplace that tolerates racism and sexism?

I don't see why a white woman isn't allowed to be bothered by a racially and sexually hostile work environment (and she IS a woman which concerns the latter). White, Black, or Purple, I'D be bothered by seeing and hearing that kind of thing. Additionally, I read somewhere that her brother-in-law (or SIL?) is Black and her nieces are biracial so it hit close to home in that respect as well.

I have not read any of the Paula Deen coverage and had never heard of it until the WTM board. However, my gut reaction to your question is another question: why would being white exempt anyone from discomfort of a workplace that tolerates racism and sexism?

It wouldn't.

However, discomfort does not equal hostility, especially if not directed at her. Maybe it was - the sexism part, I haven't seen a lot about that. The quote "hostile work environment for black people", though - which is what I was basing my original question and subsequent, admittedly, limited opinion on. Just based on these few items alone, I get a strong gold digger vibe.

ETA: I guess I should go and read more of the info re: the sexual harassment to have a stronger foundation for making an informed opinion - not that my opinion really matters, either way.

Oh my word. The article didn't bother me too much--I mean, attitudes HAVE changed a lot, and she is from the South, where change has been slower in coming, etc.--until I got here:

I'm half black and the article didn't bother me at all. What about it bothered you?

Oh my goodness. Is she saying it was impressive that they reminded her slaves? She really doesn't know when to shut up.

'

I did wonder if that is what she meant, but I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. :p

Well I am certainly not going to defend Paula Deen because I haven't ever been able to tolerate her for a minute. However, I will say that I think attitudes in the south are considerably different than the rest of the country, and I don't think it is just because the whites in the area are more prejudice. It is also because there are largely different classes of blacks AND whites in the south compared to other places, and sometimes it is difficult not to be frustrated with the behaviors and attitudes. I don't condone the use of the "n-word," and I certainly don't condone any of the nonsense that she was spouting with reference to slaves and the like, but I KNOW my attitude is affected by the things I see in the area in which I live. It is a constant struggle to fight against stereotypes and see beyond that, especially when you are surrounded with the negative behaviors at every turn.

Boy, oh boy. I thought this thread was going to be entertaining at first. Geez. Not even sure what to say here.

No need to clarify my meaning. You've pretty much summed up the way you'd like to interpret it. So if you want to make it strictly about blacks, even though I have stated the behaviors are also common in the whites, you go ahead. Either way, if you've never lived in the deep south, I don't think you can begin to understand.

I mean maybe a lot of it is classism, but it is these classes of blacks and whites that are prevalent in our area, and that DOES cause people to have poor attitudes toward them whether right or wrong.

With regards to racism, it goes both ways?

I was born and raised in California, but have lived in the South. You are very wrong. Maybe you live in an area with trash of all races. Race doesn't make the trash.

I was born and raised in California, but have lived in the South. You are very wrong. Maybe you live in an area with trash of all races. Race doesn't make the trash.

I agree. I was raised in an all white county in AR. There was not a single black kid in our school system. Thus there were no blacks in the congregation I attended until I was 18 either. We did meet black people at larger religious conventions out of town.

My mom was in that county to begin with because her dad took them there to escape integration that was imminent. (No kid of mine is going to school with Ns). Like others have mentioned my mom claims he was prejudiced but not mean. He let his kids play with blacks. He was kind to them, but just considered it wrong to mix the races. Of course HE was VERY wrong....but it was the mindset when my mom was a girl and she is my Paula defense age.

I was raised quite differently. My mom made personal growth and left those attitudes behind. As an adult I once heard her tell someone she still sometimes struggled with that prejudice.....but honestly she never showed it and quite matter of factly taught us skin color has no bearing on character and judging an entire race of people on a few was sinful.

Now if you want to talk about trash....wow. In the small all white town I grew up with there were people so icky I cringed if they brushed me in the hall. Colored definitely doesn't determine trash.

The fact that Paula Deen is so clueless about the racial/ political atmosphere current in this country is sad. It shows she has insulated herself with like minded people and apparently never took a course on discrimination in the workplace. It really doesn't make her evil or mean....or unteachable....but she is very ignorant.

I feel a little sorry for her right now. I will admit to not fully reading the transcripts, but I wonder how often that lady complained about said hostile work environment .

I haven't read all the responses - I made my way through a couple of pages but this is the only thing that keeps coming to my mind...

Most of the people I know don't even know about this. I've had people on FB and IRL say, 'What on earth is everyone talking about PD for? Did she do something?' and then when they hear, they just go, 'Oh...'

See, where we live, EVERYONE knows someone who has said those things. They may not be friends with the person, or approve of it, but everyone has heard it. Everyone. Now, granted, a lot of what is getting the press is just her language. So that's all a lot of people know. TBH, that's all I knew until I read this thread - now that I see the legal complaints regarding the workplace and such, I get it better. Before I just thought, who cares? Really... and that is what everyone here has said, too, not knowing the legal stuff that is going on.

AFAIK I'm not racist, but based on what I've seen some people say here, I should be considered one if there are 4 boys in the class, I know their names but my husband doesn't, and I'm trying to tell him what one of the kids did in class that was funny but he doesn't know which one I'm talking about and it happens to be the short black boy, or the tall white boy, or the little asian guy. Seriously? Trust me, I TRY to find other ways to describe people I barely know, but there are only so many ways to say, 'Oh, that kid hit a homerun! You know, the tall one...number 10? No...the other one. Nope, not that one either.' on the phone. I'm just saying. I don't think that saying that is any worse than saying something about the little red haired girl (ha! What movie is that? Oh, it's Charlie Brown.... he always likes the little red-haired girl. :) ) because I mean it with no malicious intent. It's a physical characteristic.

Anyway, that went on much longer than planned.

PeacefulChaos, I don't think using black as a descriptor is racist when you are giving a description. It is when you say "there was a black lady in front of me at the store and....." or "there was a car full of Indians on the road in front of me and..." that it becomes a problem.

PeacefulChaos, I don't think using black as a descriptor is racist when you are giving a description. It is when you say "there was a black lady in front of me at the store and....." or "there was a car full of Indians on the road in front of me and..." that it becomes a problem.

I understand what she is saying. We don't typically say, "There was a white woman in front of me at the store." People usually just say, "There was a lady in front of me at the store."