Menu

I don't think kabobs are worth the fuss.

unsinkable

You only say that because you haven't had my grilled marinated lamb kebabs. Cutting the meat up into little pieces means a greater surface area for the marinade to penetrate and a greater ratio of seared surface to meltingly tender interior.

You only say that because you haven't had my grilled marinated lamb kebabs. Cutting the meat up into little pieces means a greater surface area for the marinade to penetrate and a greater ratio of seared surface to meltingly tender interior.

What time is dinner again? :drool5:

We love kebabs... though hadn't thought of trying them with lamb. We tend to use beef and like them rare, so it works great with veggies from our garden. They're one of our favorite summer meals.

Thank you for the replies.

I have tried doing meat separately (wrote it in my first post) and I understand the increased surface area theory and it's good advice so...

I guess I will invite myself to your homes when y'all are kabobing (kabaabing?) I'll do the dishes. If you want me to, ha-ha.

New word alert.

I blame my husband. Back when Facebook had "KungFuPanda is" on your status, he would try to complete the sentence with one word like "dining" or "erranding." Verbing was rampant until they removed that 'is.'

As for the prep work involved with kabobs . . . Aside from the deliciousness, I generally serve them so that those precut pieces make sense. We like them stuffed into pita sandwiches, so it's easier to have everything precut.

I have a container long enough to marinate the meat while its on the stick and I find metal kabob skewers easy to use. If you go to Trader Joe's they have the great marinated lamb that's already in pieces. I skewer that too. I generally serve with grilled veggies, hummus, pita, tsaziki, and rice or cous cous

Cutting the meat up into little pieces means a greater surface area for the marinade to penetrate and a greater ratio of seared surface to meltingly tender interior.

I love kabobs for these reasons!

We do meat & potatoes together & veggies separately.

OMG, that sounds delicious.

I segregate my kebabs, but honestly, I don't make them much anymore. We use the baskets someone else mentioned.

Right now my mouth is watering.

Most Worthy Marinade:

1 kg beef chuck steak, diced into 3cm pieces

1 tbsp finely chopped lemon grass

1 small red chilli, finely chopped

1 tbsp crushed ginger

2 tsp mild curry powder

1 tsp cracked black pepper

1 tsp brown sugar

1 clove garlic, crushed

¼ cup (60ml) fish sauce

I agree. I'll happily eat the kabobs someone else has made, but I'm not likely to bother with them again.

I will also not bother trying to get melon into pretty little colorful orbs. I just don't have melon skills I guess. Our melon will be sliced into triangles or cut into uneven and generally misshapen quadrilaterals.

The Japanese skewer their meat by lining up strips of meat horizontally then skewering them all vertically. Then they cut the skewers apart. It's fast and very efficient.

It took me quite a while to picture this. I think I get it now.

I love kabobs, particularly beef, with lots of veggies, done over coals or wood. No gas grilling in this house!

For cuts of meat we tend to use London Broil. Hubby does the marinating. I'm not quite sure what he uses and it's not always the same thing every time. He's the grill person and since kebabs are grilled - they're his territory. It makes it all a rather easy meal for me. ;)

Otherwise, we put on whatever we have from the garden - generally yellow squash, zucchini, onion, cherry tomato (all garden stuff) & mushrooms we buy from the store.