Menu

Worst fire in CO history, NE Colorado Springs (Black Forest). (Map post 22) Quick update #48

SJ.

NE Colorado Springs, specifically Black Forest (an area to the NE), is being ravaged by a wild fire. At 9am this morning the fire covered almost 8,000 acres with about 7300 homes evacuated, and an estimated 100 homes destroyed. This is a beautifully wooded, densely populated area. Unfortunately the fire is spreading and new evacuation areas have been added. I know there are a couple WTM families that live in that area, please keep them and our city in your thoughts. We are about a half mile from the southern pre-evac area and are fairly certain we won't be directly affected but just to be safe we've packed our important things and have plans in place.

If you live in the area and are in need of assistance please feel free to PM me.

SJ

Please direct me if there is already a thread on this...

There is a bike through the Rockies event that is supposed to end at the Royal Gorge on Friday. A group my mother sometimes goes to from her church is supposed to take a trip to the Royal Gorge in about a week. I think both of these things are not going to happen now.

This fire is just awful. I spent the afternoon helping the friend (who housed us during our Waldo fire evac last June) pack when she got pre-evac orders while we were there for lunch. They'll come here if the call comes, but I really hope I don't have to return this favor.

Some updates:

Update on Royal Gorge fire: Size is 3,100 acres (new number), 20% contained, 20 structures lost. None of them were homes. Royal Gorge bridge is intact. Evacuation areas unchanged. Highway 50 remains closed both directions from Canon City to CO Highway 9. (KKTV News)

I saw an initial report from one of the local news that the aerial tram and incline train at the Royal Gorge Park were destroyed but now there is a generic media release that is posted: http://www.krdo.com/image/view/-/20547432/data/2/-/fib23cz/-/Royal-Gorge-news-release.png

Black Forest Fire:

This fire is still spreading and doesn't look good from what they are showing on the news. Pre-evac areas have expanded.

Numbers from KKTV:

8,500 acres, 0% containment; 3,400 homes evacuated and 150 businesses evacuated; 10,000 affected by those evacuations.

More than 92 homes destroyed, unfortunately after they went through and verified damage the fire blew back and homes on the undamaged list are assumed to be destroyed.

Did you see that the evac area is bigger than metro Denver????

Yes, I live very close and have friends who have been evacuated. It is all extremely heart breaking. The area is heavily populated and I am so sad to see that many homes caught fire during the night. Reports state this fire is unpredictable and thus harder to contain. I am so grateful for the first responders that are working hard to save properties and get the fire under control.

I am humbled by the amazing community response. Yesterday Care and Share collected 124,000 lbs from the community, mostly water and gatorade. They are in dire need of easy to eat snack food to distribute to the fire fighters, police officers, and National Guardsmen. If you would like to donate you can text "Donate" to 41010 to give $10 (which will be charged on your phone bill).

This facebook group is flooded with offers of help including offers to house livestock, people opening their homes to families, assistance with animal rescue, and reuniting owners with their lost horses.

I feel so helpless. Today we will be making a food donation to Care and Share but it just doesn't feel like enough.

The Colorado Springs Gazette is a good place to go for updated info and here is the latest evac map.

One of our fellow members lives in Black Forest. While I don't know her personally I'm thinking about her. She has posted on the boards that she lives in that area.

Yeah--if we're thinking of the same one, I PMed her on Tuesday when it started but haven't heard back. I hope her family is doing okay and her property is okay.

Yeah--if we're thinking of the same one, I PMed her on Tuesday when it started but haven't heard back. I hope her family is doing okay and her property is okay.

I did too and haven't heard back. I'm sure the boards are the least of her worries :(

This fire is now the worst fire in Colorado history with at least 360 homes destroyed, 38000 people evacuated, and 1500 acres burned. We are at 0% containment and we are expecting erratic winds this afternoon with possible lightning. They hope to keep the fire from spreading into communities to the north/northwest.

Please keep Colorado in your thoughts/prayers today.

We just moved to Colorado Springs last month from Texas. We are just a few miles south of the evacutation border, and yesterday we woke up to a house reeking of smoke. That was scary! I'm sure SJ had the same experience!

The loss of homes in this area is just devastating, but I must say I would MUCH rather be here in fire danger than back in Texas or Oklahoma with tornado danger. We have family in Norman/OKC and they were just barely passed over from the last couple of rounds of tornadoes. At least we are somewhat prepared for the fires here and can run from them. Lots of property damage, but no lives claimed!

We just moved to Colorado Springs last month from Texas. We are just a few miles south of the evacutation border, and yesterday we woke up to a house reeking of smoke. That was scary! I'm sure SJ had the same experience!

The loss of homes in this area is just devastating, but I must say I would MUCH rather be here in fire danger than back in Texas or Oklahoma with tornado danger. We have family in Norman/OKC and they were just barely passed over from the last couple of rounds of tornadoes. At least we are somewhat prepared for the fires here and can run from them. Lots of property damage, but no lives claimed!

If you're close, be careful. The dry thunderstorms that they're predicting are the same kind that pushed the Waldo Canyon fire down the mountain and into the city last year (and two lives were claimed). It seems that you have time, but it's not always the case. I know there is more warning than tornados (I grew up in a tornado prone south), but it can also be very unpredictable.

One of our fellow members lives in Black Forest. While I don't know her personally I'm thinking about her. She has posted on the boards that she lives in that area.

Thanks for checking in with me, SJ. & JudoMom.

We evacuated on Tuesday afternoon and are staying with my mom in Colorado Springs. No word yet on the status of our home, but every property on our street for which a status has been provided is listed as "unaffected" at this time. However, that could change quickly (as we saw last night, when the total losses jumped from 92 to 360). So far, I know of two friends whose homes are total losses. It's devastating, but it's also been amazing to see how this community pulls together during times like this.

Please continue to keep Colorado in your thoughts and prayers. Although the Black Forest fire is the most devastating fire going on right now, we have several wildfires around the state that could escalate as well.

A good friend of mine from high school lost her home in the Black Forest fire. She had posted pics of the sunrise over her woods the day before. Nothing remains of either the house or the trees. :(

I have many other friends who are evac'd or on pre-evac orders. The fire is less than 10 miles from the house where DH and I were married.

My DD and DGD are traveling to CO next week. I wonder what they will see.

I just received a message that there is a new fire in Teller County.

KRDO Channel 13 is reporting Royal Gorge Park is nearly destroyed.

Here's a link to pics of the Royal Gorge fire: http://www.krdo.com/news/-/417220/20549548/-/tsok1gz/-/index.html

I am so sad. The Royal Gorge was our get-away-from-stress spot when we were younger.

Do you have a good link for updated maps? I'm pretty sure the newest evacuations are where my dad lives. I'd like to keep up with stuff without having to text him since I'm sure they're kinda busy right now . . .

Maps:

http://gazette.com/black-forest-fire-evacuation-map/article/1502207

http://www.denverpost.com/colorado-springs/ci_23435836/map-royal-gorge-black-forest-and-big-meadows

Good luck finding info on your family.

Things still aren't looking good out here. There are new evacuations and the wind is gusty. A storm is brewing and heading our way but unfortunately they dont' think it will produce meaningful moisture instead it may produce lightning and will produce erratic winds. : /

Thanks for checking in with me, SJ. & JudoMom.

We evacuated on Tuesday afternoon and are staying with my mom in Colorado Springs. No word yet on the status of our home, but every property on our street for which a status has been provided is listed as "unaffected" at this time. However, that could change quickly (as we saw last night, when the total losses jumped from 92 to 360). So far, I know of two friends whose homes are total losses. It's devastating, but it's also been amazing to see how this community pulls together during times like this.

Please continue to keep Colorado in your thoughts and prayers. Although the Black Forest fire is the most devastating fire going on right now, we have several wildfires around the state that could escalate as well.

I'm so glad you were able to check in and let us know that you are ok, I hope your home remains safe and that this all ends soon. :grouphug:

Maps:

http://gazette.com/b...article/1502207

http://www.denverpos...and-big-meadows

Good luck finding info on your family.

Thanks--I managed to figure out what was what. One map I saw seemed to imply that all of El Paso County was being evacuated. He's still at home--just the other side of I-25. Continued prayers for everyone's safety.

It's horrible.

My cousin and her baby girl were displaced by it (they live in Black Forest) - staying with a friend now. Everyone's trying to get things to her for the babe. She wasn't even able to grab her purse or diapers on the way out.

It was reported today that 48 out of 52 buildings at the Royal Gorge Bridge have been destroyed. On the news conference they said that they would rebuild and that the damage will cost in the millions.

993520_10200489578375306_105189714_n.jpg

It's horrible.

My cousin and her baby girl were displaced by it (they live in Black Forest) - staying with a friend now. Everyone's trying to get things to her for the babe. She wasn't even able to grab her purse or diapers on the way out.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin and her little one, I hope she has everything she needs to care for her dd. Glad to hear she has a friend to stay with right now.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin and her little one, I hope she has everything she needs to care for her dd. Glad to hear she has a friend to stay with right now.

My aunt and another cousin are able to get her some things from co-workers, so they're doing well.

What stinks is the "not knowing". They're hearing through the grapevine that the house is gone, but no authority will "confirm" it. Gah.

My aunt and another cousin are able to get her some things from co-workers, so they're doing well.

What stinks is the "not knowing". They're hearing through the grapevine that the house is gone, but no authority will "confirm" it. Gah.

Have they used this map to check? http://www.denverpost.com/colorado-springs/ci_23435836/map-royal-gorge-black-forest-and-big-meadows All of the pinpoints are confirmed homes that were destroyed, it is through google maps so you can zoom in and get close. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be not knowing.

Update:

Hi everyone, Just thought I'd post a quick update on the fire.

Fortunately we have 55% containment of the fire and some people have been permitted to return home. Out of the 14 homes where people refused to evacuate 13 homes came out unscathed and the residents accounted for, they are currently looking for the residents of one home that was destroyed and hopefully they had evacuated. Currently the destroyed home count is at 483, it is unimaginable what everyone is going through right now :( I am glad to report our community is once again stepping up making donations where needed, helping animals that were stranded in the fire, and supporting the fire fighters.

Hopefully Dandelion has continued to receive good news on the state of her family's home and that Aimee's cousin has as well. :grouphug:

Update:

Hi everyone, Just thought I'd post a quick update on the fire.

Fortunately we have 55% containment of the fire and some people have been permitted to return home. Out of the 14 homes where people refused to evacuate 13 homes came out unscathed and the residents accounted for, they are currently looking for the residents of one home that was destroyed and hopefully they had evacuated. Currently the destroyed home count is at 483, it is unimaginable what everyone is going through right now :( I am glad to report our community is once again stepping up making donations where needed, helping animals that were stranded in the fire, and supporting the fire fighters.

Hopefully Dandelion has continued to receive good news on the state of her family's home and that Aimee's cousin has as well. :grouphug:

So gald they are getting containment of the fire. I cannot wrap my mind around that number of destroyed homes. It is unbelievable.

Dandelion posted recently (yesterday or today) that their home is okay. Someone started another thread b/c they couldn't find this thread (I searched and couldn't find it either, so strange).

We were on pre-evac most of the summer last year with the Waldo Canyon Fire. We also had some evacuees staying with us. It was just miserable, each day checking the news, ready to go, having things packed by the door, but then still trying to lead a normal summer life. I was praying we would not have another summer like it, but it's not looking good so far.

I am not in an affected area, but have friends who already lost their house. Also, work pt at the fire station, and have a crew down at Black Forest. A number of other fires near where I live, non-threatening so far, but still scary and adding to the general stress level.

One comment about people who refuse to evacuate...they are not only risking their own life, but the lives of the firefighters who will try to rescue them if needed. It is truly a poor and selfish choice.