Menu

Liberty's Kids: Is there a difference in these two sets? ($70 vs $10)

I'm not familiar with this series (just checking out a recommendation from the forum) but it looks like these two sets are the same? (both look like they are the complete series, big price difference, LOL). Anyone who knows anything about this who can help me out?

$10:

http://www.amazon.com/Libertys-Kids-The-Complete-Series/dp/B00CMDPTTA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368822117&sr=8-3&keywords=liberty%27s+kids

$70

http://www.amazon.com/Libertys-Kids-Complete-Jill-Anderson/dp/B001B73PO4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368822117&sr=8-2&keywords=liberty%27s+kids

Are they the same?

The $70 one is 900 minutes on 6 discs while the $10 is 9999 (typo?) minutes on 4 discs. Quality issues? I almost ordered the Carmen SanDiego set, but there were so many reviews on the old one that the sound was awful. I don't see those reviews anymore....hmmm $6.

There were several bad reviews on the Magic School Bus Series when I ordered it. I was a little concerned, but I got a very good deal on it...on sale for like $30 for the whole set. It is great...no quality issues at all. So, for $6, I'd definitely give it a try if you want it. :)

I'm going to pre-order this too. Thanks, OP!

I got the carmen sandiego one and while you can tell it is from the 90s, I had no issues with it. I mean it is not HD or surround sound if that is what you are used to, but my kids didn't notice. And DS9 has gotten tons of geo trivia off it.

Now I'm going to get the liberty kids.

Oh ,and I seem to recall if you order $25 (including the pre-order) they will ship the other stuff now and wait till the release and ship the last item. I even got one item on the day it released (meaning they shipped before release date).

I got the carmen sandiego one and while you can tell it is from the 90s, I had no issues with it. I mean it is not HD or surround sound if that is what you are used to, but my kids didn't notice. And DS9 has gotten tons of geo trivia off it.

Now I'm going to get the liberty kids.

Oh ,and I seem to recall if you order $25 (including the pre-order) they will ship the other stuff now and wait till the release and ship the last item. I even got one item on the day it released (meaning they shipped before release date).

This is what I think is going to happen. I didn't actually hit submit, but when I put the pre-order it was in my cart with everything else I'm buying in the next day or two. It seemed it was going to be free shipping on this with the rest of the order even though it won't ship for a while. :)

They aren't on Netflix streaming at the moment, just DVDs.

Oops! They must have changed it....or maybe not and I was just wrong, but I really thought they were on streaming. We have both anyway, but still, I like to own things like this so they are available on the fly when I realize they will tie in well with what we are learning. So, I'll just get them. :)

Thanks!

I almost ordered the Carmen SanDiego set, but there were so many reviews on the old one that the sound was awful. I don't see those reviews anymore....hmmm $6.

I picked the Carmen Sandiego set (so says Amazon) right before Thanksgiving for just over $6. My kids LOVE to watch it. It is old, but they enjoy it. Definitely worth $6.

Now, I'll have to ponder the Liberty Kids set...

Oops! They must have changed it....or maybe not and I was just wrong, but I really thought they were on streaming. We have both anyway, but still, I like to own things like this so they are available on the fly when I realize they will tie in well with what we are learning. So, I'll just get them. :)

Thanks!

They were there - they are in my instant queue, it wasn't until I went to go have DD watch it a couple of months ago that I realized it was gone!

I'm 99% sure my mom has them all recorded - but she never answered the email so I did the pre-order.

The $70 one is 900 minutes on 6 discs while the $10 is 9999 (typo?) minutes on 4 discs. Quality issues? I almost ordered the Carmen SanDiego set, but there were so many reviews on the old one that the sound was awful. I don't see those reviews anymore....hmmm $6.

we bought carmen san diego and the entire magic school bus series at christmas (amazon had it for $20!). the quality of carmen san diego is fine - no issues :) my son loves it!

ETA - i just bought liberty kids. couldn't resist!!

I had purchased a set off of Ebay (the expensive one you listed), and it was very fishy. I have a family member who has the same set. Her case was a slightly different color, the cases each individual DVD was in was different from hers, mine were extremely flimsy, and very poorly made. When I compared the bottom of the DVD's side by side with hers, I saw that mine had the "blue-ish" tint, and hers did not. I also found that around the middle part of the DVD on the back, just said "liberty's kids" whereas hers actually had identification numbers on them. Her set had the booklet and map, mine only had the booklet. They didn't play well on one of our DVD players, consistent skipping, etc. They played just fine on our other DVD player, mind you, neither of our DVD players have any issues playing any other DVD's at all. I then went and looked at all of the other DVD's I own, and they all have identification numbers on them (or whatever the number is). I wanted to make sure I wasn't just "seeing things."

I looked up "how to tell a fake from real DVD" and found all of these things to look for, and it was extremely obvious. I contacted the seller, and ended up getting my money back, they were insisting the set was legit (selling new sets) and that they would never sell a fake, the seller also told me that to avoid problems with skipping, I should play them on my computer?

I don't have the Cookie Jar set, and I added it to my cart, I may just preorder it, so that I know I have a legit copy, plus it's fewer discs!

I had purchased a set off of Ebay (the expensive one you listed), and it was very fishy. I have a family member who has the same set. Her case was a slightly different color, the cases each individual DVD was in was different from hers, mine were extremely flimsy, and very poorly made. When I compared the bottom of the DVD's side by side with hers, I saw that mine had the "blue-ish" tint, and hers did not. I also found that around the middle part of the DVD on the back, just said "liberty's kids" whereas hers actually had identification numbers on them. Her set had the booklet and map, mine only had the booklet. They didn't play well on one of our DVD players, consistent skipping, etc. They played just fine on our other DVD player, mind you, neither of our DVD players have any issues playing any other DVD's at all. I then went and looked at all of the other DVD's I own, and they all have identification numbers on them (or whatever the number is). I wanted to make sure I wasn't just "seeing things."

I looked up "how to tell a fake from real DVD" and found all of these things to look for, and it was extremely obvious. I contacted the seller, and ended up getting my money back, they were insisting the set was legit (selling new sets) and that they would never sell a fake, the seller also told me that to avoid problems with skipping, I should play them on my computer?

I don't have the Cookie Jar set, and I added it to my cart, I may just preorder it, so that I know I have a legit copy, plus it's fewer discs!

I bought a set of Liberty's Kids near the end of last year and I suspect they are a fake; they sound exactly like yours. Mine play fine on my computer and on our high-quality DVD/Blu-Ray player, but will not play on our little portable DVD player or in the car. They also have the bluish tint and the box and disc-cases seem fishy. I was just too lazy to send it back. So frustrating!

Thanks, ladies! What a deal. I had seen them on sale for nearly $60 -- no way! I have a ton of cheap DVDs from Cookie Jar. I have multidisc sets of Busytown that were supercheap and the Carmen Sandiego one, and they are all fine in terms of quality.

Thanks, ladies! What a deal. I had seen them on sale for nearly $60 -- no way! I have several DVDs from Cookie Jar that were quite cheap. They are all fine in terms of quality.

I can't effectively stream anything on my internet connection so affordable DVDs are helpful to me.

I found this a couple of days ago and was wondering about it. I went ahead and ordered it, along with the Carmen Sandiego and Schoolhouse Rock 30th Anniversary edition. I also found the entire 10 disc, 100 episodes of Bill Nye the Science Guy for 30.00 at www.ioffer.com and ordered it.

Has anyone seen or ordered any of the Popular Mechanics for Kids DVDs?

Has anyone seen or ordered any of the Popular Mechanics for Kids DVDs?

My local public library has several of them. DS enjoyed them when he watched at age 8 - 9, and I think kids even younger and perhaps older would also like them. If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to answer.

For those who have used Liberty's Kids, what age range do you think it would appeal to?

My son really got into them 2 years ago (when he was 6 1/2). His 4 year old little brother watched along and liked them too. My 6yo started asking about George Washington, etc from watching these, and we ended up taking a trip to DC/Mt. Vernon/Colonial Williamsburg as a result.

We plan to watch them again this year, and I am thinking they will all like them even older. They really are fantastic.

For those who have used Liberty's Kids, what age range do you think it would appeal to?

I have a 10 year old who ADORES them. I think it all depends on the kid. Some kids get absolutely offended if they have to watch a cartoon, others won't watch it unless it IS a cartoon, and everything in between!

I have a 10 year old who ADORES them. I think it all depends on the kid. Some kids get absolutely offended if they have to watch a cartoon, others won't watch it unless it IS a cartoon, and everything in between!

Good to know, thank you. My boys still love cartoons (as well as all the live action superheroes their Dad can show them :closedeyes: ) so luckily I don't think that will be a problem for me.

OP, this is a great deal so thank you for posting it. I think I'll pick it up as well as Carmen Sandiego. :hurray:

A bit off topic because I looked up couple of the things mentioned. The Bill Nye DVDs look interesting - but they are stated as being only 26 minutes long which makes them quite expensive. Am I missing some information?

I think they are more expensive because they are owned by Disney. That said, most are on YouTube I their entirety.

A bit off topic because I looked up couple of the things mentioned. The Bill Nye DVDs look interesting - but they are stated as being only 26 minutes long which makes them quite expensive. Am I missing some information?