Menu

embarrassing question about shaving for summer

redsnapper

This is so embarrassing but I don't know where else to ask this.

With summer fast approaching, or already here in California, how in the world do you gals keep your bikini area shaved and rash free? See totally not a home school topic but I need help. Plus my dd is old enough she'll be asking ME this question soon. I've tried some different things but it always rashes up and looks horrible, and I'm already shy in a suit. Help?

The only reliable solution I've found is to shave it year round. Since I started doing that, I haven't had the rash problem anymore (seemed to occur only while "breaking in" the area). IME, shaving year round seems to reduce the sensitivity of the skin.

That doesn't help you in the short-term though, sorry!

The only reliable solution I've found is to shave it year round. Since I started doing that, I haven't had the rash problem anymore (seemed to occur only while "breaking in" the area). IME, shaving year round seems to reduce the sensitivity of the skin.

That doesn't help you in the short-term though, sorry!

:iagree:

Also, if you find that your skin gets irritated after shaving, be sure to shave at night, and coat the area with a teeny-tiny bit of Vaseline afterward. It seems to help prevent rashes.

And as stupid and obvious as this sounds, make sure you use a new razor, because if it's not super-sharp, you're far more likely to end up with rashes and razor burn.

Get it waxed instead of shaving. That's what works for me.

I'm going to jump in with another embarassing question while we're at it...

Do you have to take off your underwear to get waxed? I can handle it when I'm at the doctor's but with a random waxing person who works in a beauty salon and who is probably all made up and foofy, I'm not so sure....

I'm going to jump in with another embarassing question while we're at it...

Do you have to take off your underwear to get waxed? I can handle it when I'm at the doctor's but with a random waxing person who works in a beauty salon and who is probably all made up and foofy, I'm not so sure....

It depends. If you just want a bikini wax then no. If you want a Brazilian then yes.

I have found that almost all of my rash comes from the elastic in my underwear rubbing on the freshly shaven area. So, I try to shave at night and then just wear pajama shorts or a pair of DH's boxer shorts to bed. No rash the next day.

Or I have some underwear that don't have a line of elastic they are just an all over stretch lace and they don't cause a rash.

I'm not into "pain for vanity" either, but, incontinence (another TMI!) made it necessary to keep very trim. I just use a bikini trimmer and keep it very short. Works great for me bikini wise. But I do have very blond hair, not sure if it'd work for someone with dark hairs...

Speaking about shaving....I should probably deal with my legs that could rival any mans, and my underarms which could be plaited. I'm kickin' back hippy style....it's Autumn here though, and body hair creates warmth (thats my excuse and I'm sticking with it).

If I need to deal with that area, I use something like the wax-on, wax-off cream. You slather it on the area, and use a lil mini loofah type thing in the shower to scrub it (along with the hair) off. Sometimes I use this cream for my legs, when I'm feeling uber-lazy.

I don't really deal with that area though, apart from every now and again, using my *personal* (i.e. I only use it for this, and nobody else touches it) pair of hardressing scissors to cut it back as short as I can. I found waxing painful (and wax bits left stuck to my skin) and shaving left stubble and itched like crazy (grabbing your crotch area and scratching is not sexy....just in case you didn't know :p ) So the slip-slop-scrub stuff if I have to, but usually just scissors.

I don't wear bikini's. If I do, I have board shorts on. I see no reason to provide an eyeful, nor make extra work for myself in order to go to the beach (and I live in Aus, lol). Whether I have the figure or not, I prefer to feel covered up and restrained enough to be able to cartwheel without flashing. (well....I don't cartwheel, but with the bending down, squatting, helping the kids with sandcastle, swimming, diving, lazing on the lounger, I prefer to be comfortable enough to do things without worrying about adjusting my bikini bottom.

Hopefully someone provided an answer to help. I'm pretty much useless in the area of feminine apparel (although if you start talking make-up, skin beauty, or perfume I should be able to help, elsewise those diplomas I have are completely useless).

Try this: after shaving, spray the area with cold water from the hand-held shower. This immediately closes up the pores. It will be uncomfortable, of course, for a few seconds, but it prevents the redness and irritation. After a couple of weeks of doing this, you should no longer need to use the cold water and the irritation should not recur.

Wow! What an overwhelming response from y'all! Thanks. Sometimes you just need a safe place to ask stuff like this. :o

For the record, I don't bikini, though I do wear a tankini with board shorts, but they inch up high enough that I'm embarrassed. Hopefully no one has notice but me. I decided THIS summer I will take control of that situation, LOL!

Thanks Ladies!

-Melissa

Wow! What an overwhelming response from y'all! Thanks. Sometimes you just need a safe place to ask stuff like this. :o

For the record, I don't bikini, though I do wear a tankini with board shorts, but they inch up high enough that I'm embarrassed. Hopefully no one has notice but me. I decided THIS summer I will take control of that situation, LOL!

Thanks Ladies!

-Melissa

I'm glad you asked..... I've learned some things!

There is a dipillitory (sp?) called Magic Cream. It's for African American men to use on their beards and is available at Wal-Mart. Smells bad but works WONDERS. Easy, quick, no rash, no itching when it grows back in. And it lasts way longer than shaving. The link below shows $6 but I think it's less in the store:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23323015

:iagree: A ton of women on another forum I frequent swear by this stuff. It works, makes things super smooth and no pain or ingrown hairs. :coolgleamA: