Menu

SWB will hate me.....but...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a basic guide. I think it's natural for teachers to sometimes feel oppressed by the curriculum. When I taught for several years in PS, it was the same thing. We all want to do want to do what is best for our kids but receive so much, often conflicting, information. And, of course, there are the nay-sayers, even among close friends and family. I don't know why, I just never fell into that. My saying: "You are the master of the curriculum, the curriculum does not master you." Is that personal, or did I get that from somewhere else?

I was very encouraged by SWB when I met her at a conference and sheepishly confessed, with my head down, that my ds didn't seem to like OPG. She just smiled, looked me right in the eye, and said, "It's not working for him. Try Phonics Pathways." We did, he loves it, and I sold OPG. No big deal.

Mad Lib Junior and Schoolhouse Rock might be a more innocuous and fun way to introduce parts of speech than FLL, and then maybe we'll move to Easy Grammar around 3rd grade when ds and dd are both writing and reading more comfortably. I can't wait to see SWB's writing text, but even with that, I know it will be more of a guide than a daily curriculum for us if we use it.

Like some of you, I am very drawn to AO and general elements of CM. I do plan on using the picture study and literature suggestions from AO. If that 4-yr re-org of AO happens, I would love it. Look- the pressure's on, Pheasant Ridge Academy! :-)

My main confusion is how to approach science. I love the idea of the CM-style immersion study of the Aplogia programs for elementary years, but I also like introducing the different areas of science over the first 4 years a la WTM. What to do?

Hey, right now, I am totally jazzed that my ds can read a Bob Book all by himself to his father. I say, thank you SWB and WTM for empowering me to undertake this incredible journey with my dc. I count it a blessing and am grateful for the resource you have provided.

Looking forward to Kindergarten again.

I am totally eclectic and I love it. I don't follow anything hard core and if I feel I am loosing my dd7 then I change. I use workbooks and the computer because she does great with them. I think HS is about finding what works best for you and your children. I don't think there is one perfect way to do things.

I found that many of the home education books I read when I first took our children out of school were very vague and didn't make any concrete suggestions. They were a waste of time.

The Well Trained Mind aims high and helped me to cement some of my ideas on what I wanted for our children's education. I took all the curriculum suggestions as just that, suggestions. It was good to have somewhere to start.

We do use Singapore Maths, Spelling Workout and the How..Works series. I used the Story of the World Book 1 with our children and we enjoyed it but I was uncertain how to adapt it to two different ages (dd didn't enjoy outlining) and it seemed quite young for our two. I also gave up on teaching the children diagramming. I wasn't committed to the idea and the children found it quite dull (perhaps it was the programme I used because not many were available in the UK).

I find the chronological approach to history makes sense but we are in the habit of going off at tangents and so it has taken us quite some time to reach the Middle Ages with dd and now ds is scooting ahead with the Renaissance.

We do science the logic stage WTM way because there is so little out there for secular home-schoolers and they have put their finger on the best available resources in my opinion.

For me 'The Well Trained Mind' gives me confidence. I can see what a good education should look like and I can adapt that model to suit us.

I also love that it has brought me to these boards where I can meet others who have similar goals for their children's education.

Oh, that made me laugh!

I *just* told my son this morning, after re-reading the rhetoric chapters in TWTM, that we wouldn't be dropping grammar for high school.

Would you believe this response? He said, "Oh, good!" :confused:

So my dd isn't the only one who wants to do grammar forever? :) I told her we didn't need to use a separate grammar next year with CW Aesop. She looked at me quite seriously and said "We are using GWG, Mommy. I want to!"

I pretty much use WTM as a guideline. We've used a lot of the recommendations so far, but have made some changes that suit us better. We follow the 4-year cycle for history with SOTW, including narrations. For science, though, we have followed the progression, but have used different spines. We used OPG and FLL, but will be moving to GWG next year, along with CW Aesop. We use SWO for spelling, but I may be changing that for next year. For math, we are using RightStart. We are using Minimus and will continue with Secondus, then with Latin Prep. This is what has worked for us.

Paula

I have really discovered who my kids are through the process, and love the WTM 4 year cycle- but would like to condense it more for history. I have used Prentice Hall for science and love it. I want to combine in a wealth of technology with CM/AO lit. Plus I love letting them just go off on things they want to discover-

Nancy,

We have used REAL Science from Pandia Press for the last 2 years, first Life then Earth. We love it! The experiments and activities are excellent and are generally not hard to do. We actually ended up using the spines recommended as references, as well as ones from the Usborne First Encyclopedia series. I did expand the Human Body and Plant sections of Life, since we have a 42 week year, by adding additional project books. For Earth, I expanded the Exterior and Interior Earth sections and will be doing the same with Space, just by adding books from the library. Next year for chemistry was harder as there is no REAL Science for it. :( I finally settled on RS4K Chemistry Pre-level 1, Super Science Concoctions, and Fizz Bubble Flash. I hope it works! :)

HTH

Paula

The bottom line is that if it is a schedule that someone else made up, we follow it fairly closely. If it's a scheule I've made up, it just doesn't seem to happen.

That is SO me. When I heard SWB speak about writing, I was all over it, but without an actual curriculum to follow- it's just not happening.

I consider us eclectic, with an emphasis on good literature.

:D

Which brings me to the REAL value, for me, of (neo)classical education. IT TELLS YOU WHERE YOU'RE GOING. The goal of a classical education is this: at the end of the twelve (or however many) years you educate, the child can gather information, evaluate it, and express an opinion about it. There are many paths to that goal.

I think that the paths we outline in TWTM have helped many parents design a journey towards that goal.

Thanks for this. Your book has completely changed my view of homeschooling. When we first started out I thought I had to go with a boxed curriculum because I had no clue what my kids needed to know. Once I read WTM though, I was able to feel free to start my own searches and know my kids were still getting a great education. No, I don't use all of your recommendations because they don't all fit my family. However, the path you have laid for me has made me comfortable enough to venture out and do things differently. I thank you so much for that.

I think WTM was never intended to be an all or nothing approach. I think of it as a framework to build on. It gives me an overall guide, not a book of commandments to obey.

I use whatever works for my kids. We have tried several ways of doing things here. The first time I tried to apply WTM, I did follow it to the letter. Guess what happened? My kids hated it and I burned out. So now I have learned, like with any educational philosophy/book/curriculum, take what works for us and chuck the rest.

For a while we moved slightly away from it. Simply because my ADD son required a different approach.

Now that he is in the public high school just for the mornings, my dd7 and I are able to really do a more classical approach. So I find I'm moving back to it. dd is really surprised at every link between our language and Greek or Latin. I love that she is really picking up the foundational things that I believe in establishing and I find myself being more and more convinced of the benefits of this method. I'm totally excited for the next few years! (Rah, rah.....imagine pom poms.)

Lisa

I have always seen WTM as my "road map" for my dc's educational journey. Each year I choose "vehicles" to get us where we need to go. Some years we've followed WTM's reccomendations, other years AWOA or SL have provided the structure we needed for that season. The beauty of HS/ing is our freedom to tailor each child's education to his/her own special needs. In NZ we are very lucky that the gov't only requires that we provide an education for our dc that is "at least as regular & as well as" the education that the public schools provide.

Blessings,

Those of you who aren't doing grammar are the exception. You're beyond help. :)

SWB

(P.S. That was a JOKE.)

(P.P.S. Kind of.)

This literally made me laugh out loud. :D

As for me - well I'm early in the homeschooling journey but I really like my WTM book. I know I'm not getting every bit out of it yet but when things are going well, I go back and re-read the sections on this kid or that and it's so helpful. I always find something else to think about. If anything I find it more simple than when I was trying to follow a packaged language arts curriculum and a packaged history curriculum. All those charts to follow and books to keep track of - read 4 pages here then 9 pages there then make a paper plate turtle and look up this website....I was spinning trying to get it all done. It seems so much easier to me to implement the directives in WTM. I love that "how to do it" section for each subject.

I especially love the section on kindergarten - whenever I start to think I'm piling to much on my 5yo I go back and look at it and realize I don't need to do nearly as much with him as I think I do.

To me TWTM has simplified things. But again - I'm early in my homeschool career, and I can see already that it will be a continual journey adapting and adjusting as I go.

Ditto. And I believe that in one of her online newsletters, SWB admits that even she doesn't strictly follow TWTM. It is meant only as a guide.

When asked what method we follow, I generally say "relaxed classical" or "homeschool classical" because what most people think of when they think of classical is latin and chronological history and we do both of those.

TWTM is my guide for what to teach in what order, but how I teach looks nothing like what is suggested. For me, TWTM, was the first guidline I came across that was not trying to push unschooling, recreate a public school environment at home, or trying to force religion into every subject. It also convinced me that chronoligical history is the way to go.

Generally, I think we are pretty relaxed. The kids are done by lunch time and can do what they want with their free time. Compared to the amount of academics done at the local public schools, my kids do a ton of academic work everyday.

I'm at a toss up, I appreciate WTM in so far as giving us a 'vision' to begin with but right now I realize I've made serious errors in our first year by trying to duplicate WTM in our home. I didn't have the experience or confidence to follow anything else. Everything was measured against what WTM said.

I don't know what has knocked me upside the head lately but I started wondering WHY we were following WTM, why were we using XYZ product. I think it was the struggle with FLL and seeing the new writing products which led me to start evaluating what in the world we were doing and why.

Without WTM, I wouldn't have the base that we started from, the means to fulfill the type of education we didn't understand fully that we wanted when we first decided that public school wasn't working. Now I have a direction to follow with logic, rhetoric, and ending up with Great Books education. Ultimately, that is what we want for our children- an education that will formulate their thinking, reasoning and heart in all areas so that when they go out into the world they have a strong base in which to draw from.

I turned down an opportunity to attend a Great Books college with a scholarship, that is the heart of my desires for my children's education (and my own). We want socratic discussions, logical thinking, original ideas presented and WTM provided a path for that type of education.

I'm so grateful that an accessible model exists to show parents that it is possible but I wish I would have realized sooner to evaluate the hows, whys and whens a little more closely before going forward. I guess that would be my advice to new homeschoolers, to learn about why they are to teach certain subjects at certain times before overwhelming their children with subjects they don't need until later.

I come here because this place is safe from unschooling evangelists. If I share here that our math program is not working for us, I am certain no one is going to say, "Well, children aren't programmed to learn from textbooks, so maybe you should try trusting your kids."

Okay, that truly made me laugh out loud!!!

I am fortunate in that we have a pretty good mix of homeschoolers in my local community, but I do know one or two families like that.

I like them, but I don't hang out with them much. I remember one saying something like "I just can't see why spelling matters." :eek:

TWTM is my guide for what to teach in what order, but how I teach looks nothing like what is suggested. For me, TWTM, was the first guidline I came across that was not trying to push unschooling, recreate a public school environment at home, or trying to force religion into every subject. It also convinced me that chronoligical history is the way to go.

Generally, I think we are pretty relaxed. The kids are done by lunch time and can do what they want with their free time. Compared to the amount of academics done at the local public schools, my kids do a ton of academic work everyday.

That is how it works for us too. I read TWTM after I had been homeschooling for about 8 years and it gave me direction and vision that was sorely lacking.

It also set this committed Christian free from thinking that we had to incorporate Christianity into every school subject for a proper spiritual upbringing!

:D

Those of you who aren't doing grammar are the exception. You're beyond help. :)

SWB

(P.S. That was a JOKE.)

(P.P.S. Kind of.)

Thank God! That's about the only area that we're succeeding in this year!

:)

Thanks for your entire post SWB!

This year has been a very challenging one in which the school bus passing by each morning becomes increasingly more and more tempting.

I'll tell you what keeps me going... oddly enough its the kids in my Sunday School Class. I'm the Children's "Pastor"/director at our church, and I got so sick and tired of the lowsy curriculum choices that I decided to write a "neo-classical" curriculum for the average "public" schooled kids that I get in Sunday School! The kids went from only remember the games at church each week to being able to recite back to me the events in the Bible that occured from Creation through the book of Joshua which is where we are now. Seeing them thrive at this approach carries over into my home and keeps me going here as well.

My dd9 went to ps for k and then I brought her home for first grade. I started w a box curriculum and then found TWTM. It overwhelmed me and still does at times, but in general even attempting this approach has opened my dd9 heart to a love for education. She LOVES to learn, and when I see that she is completely bored it is usually time for me to switch things up. What better learning experience for our children than to learn the skill and probably through my scattered brain, they will probably master the skill, of re-evaluating. Everything we do, education, work, and even our relationships in life require some level of evaluation to succeed.

Thank you for starting this thread. I needed this moment of self reflection to not only make it through the rest of the year, but to enjoy it.

Beth ~ Ohio

• 1 year later...

Shari,

That was very well said! I totally agree with you. I am one of the crash and burns. My oldest two are doing BJU 5 and 7 dvd, and it's going wel. My ds 6 is doing WWE, FLL, SW A, and Singapore Math. I consider History and Science the icing on the cake. He listens to SOTW and we are beekeepers so he is learing about nature etc. all the time just by living it and asking 'lots' of questions. I am beginning to be at peace with this. Next year I might bring my dd 10 back around to a less rigorous WTM because she would rather me teach. However, this way gets done. I know they have fullfilled the requirements for a solid education. Maybe not the one I want them to have. Unfortunately, I am not willing to put in the countless hours to educate myself so I can adequately do all the things mentioned in the wonderful book WTM that I have loved and refered to for the past 13 yrs. I want my kids to be able to go to college and get a good job that they enjoy. More importantly though, I want them to be an assest to society and to their family and be with me in heaven for eternity. So, Susan Wise Bauer, my hat goes off to you. I love your books and they have proved to educate my children well. I will continue with FLL, WWE, and your history resources. I will even go so far as to get my kids to learn latin and logic, to the best of my abilities. I thank you for challenging me to be a better educator and provide for my kids a better education than I received. You and your family are amazing in what you are accomplishing for all of us on this board. If for nothing else but to remind us that we 'can' do it. We don't have to raise elites. We just need to raise kids who know how to teach themselves, ask questions, and be accountable for the choices they make in life. I probablly would have quit a long time ago if not for this board and the great minds out there that her book and this board has brought together. So, I thank all of you as well for your support, patience, kindness, and challenges that you have put forth for me and to others. God bless you all in your endeavour to raise and educate your children to set the world on fire. We can and will succeed if we never give up and we keep our priorities in order. Take care all and have a great weekend.

Jeana

I see myself as "relaxed Classical". I was never lock-step with WTM. We have many of the classical elements, but WTM as recommended is too intense for me and for my kids. I also find that if I get stuck on wanting to be "by the book" classical, I turn into an Evil Overlord!

I come here because this place is safe from unschooling evangelists. If I share here that our math program is not working for us, I am certain no one is going to say, "Well, children aren't programmed to learn from textbooks, so maybe you should try trusting your kids."

Similarly, I come here as a refuge from the "path of least resistance" homeschoolers. The ones who are deeply suspicious of my goal to give my kids a rigorous education. The ones who think it is ok to regularly finish just 1/4th of their math for the year (we're talking about older kids with no learning issues, no major family upheavals) because, "Oh well. It's still much more than they would be getting in a public school."

but I cannot even begin to consider myself a Classical homeschooler. I have never agreed philosophically with the rigor of study for the K-4 crowd, or the teaching of classical languages, especially at 2nd and 3rd grade. I have seen many, many people over the years, and on these boards in particular, start out absolutely gung-ho about WTM, only to crash and burn and feel like failures when they can't make it work in the real world. What's worse than watching your 6yo have a meltdown over Achilles??

I love the chronological approach to history, which is what convinced me to try WTM in the first place. I loved the *idea* of WTM, and the Classical Scholar I would produce as a result of the program. How all my family would finally shut up and be impressed when I homeschooled a National Merit Scholar! Unfortunately, that's just not real. It is the person I wish I was, and the type of education I would like to have had, but to what end? I am not the perfect scholar and neither are my dc, and no amount of Latin and philosophy will change that. :D

I guess I don't understand what a "classical" educator is. I would think anyone doing TOG would qualify. It's history-focused. It's language focused. It even helps with the interactions between teacher and child, so that the child learns to think, not simply regurgitate a lecture. If that's not "classical" education, what is?

Even though we really haven't been hs'ing very long, I've seen the gung-ho to crash-and-burn phenomena as well. And, I've learned to moderate my expectations as you mentioned. I started looking for moms who are "slow and steady", and modeling my homeschool after theirs.

I didn't respond in your thread on the HS Board about "regular" kids because we use what *I* consider to be classical methods and content, but at a high school level. I really wish "classical education" didn't have the connotation of "college at home". I don't think that's really what SWB intended.

What is fascinating to me is the gap between what I perceive as the tone of TWTM and the actual advice, which IS there, to experiment, substitute, be flexible and try out what works for your family/kids. The tone of the book has always both attracted and haunted me because of its absolute certainty: this is the best way to do things, this will make even a better car mechanic than any other path of education, mother knows best, you need to do this and this and this, in this way. As I am a mass of uncertainties I find this incredibly attractive, scary, and sometimes off-putting -- often all at the same time.

Yet when I then read SWB's interviews or the accounts of "a day in our homeschool" in the archives, she seems so much less rigid or authoritative. In these less formal accounts her struggles to get "school" done, to take care of active, less than cooperative kids, to feed and dress her family, to do her own work, are all so vivid and so messy and so real. Her vignettes show how the neoclassical model can be an overarching guide without a family having to follow every single idea, every single subject, every single day's schedule down to the tiniest detail.

The book calls itself a template or ideal. I think what it also does is attempt to formally impose order and structure on what is a truly chaotic and individual process. This is probably inevitable when you are writing what is, after all, a guide, meant for a large audience, and when the publishers are worried about making it all seem much more ordered than SWB says life really is. So in a way there's a false opposition between the book and what people actually do, because the book was never meant to be an exclusively prescriptive, do-it-this-way-it's-the-only-way thing. You can see this in the differences in editions of TWTM, the changes that unfold -- not just as things become out of print or unavailable, but as SWB's thinking evolves.

I don't know if I'm making this at all clear. But I find it really fascinating, as I do all attempts to create an overarching philosophy and working model of a child's education. I have a child with Asperger's Syndrome who struggled for a number of years with dysgraphia and fine motor problems, so much of the neoclassical philosophy does not hold true or work with my child. I have found that any time I have a tendency towards philosophizing in general about education, my daughter will disprove what I am thinking. She is so different that my ideas tend to have been built up around her idiosyncracies, what works with her. So I get further and further away from a general overarching model even as I see its clear attractions and benefits.

I first was drawn to SWB because of her certainties and her orderly plan; however, the longer I homeschool, the more I value her flexibility, her adaptability, her willingness to talk about the difficult parts of homeschooling, and most of all, her admission that it's really hard -- virtually impossible actually -- for one person to do this all alone. I see mainly mothers struggling in these boards, to do it all, on their own, often in situations where they feel isolated. I think these message boards are one of SWB's greatest gifts to homeschoolers, because it relieves the isolation and makes us feel that we are NOT going it alone.

Edited by Guest

I see mainly mothers struggling in these boards, to do it all, on their own, often in situations where they feel isolated. I think these message boards are one of SWB's greatest gifts to homeschoolers, because it relieves the isolation and makes us feel that we are NOT going it alone.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!

And I understood everything else you wrote. I've been a mass of uncertainties, too, even in the midst of trying to implement ideas from WTM, and trying to understand underlying "threads" throughout the book. I am so, so grateful for this free board, all the articles Susan has written and put up here for us to read for free, the products that PHP puts out, and all the great posters here who continually check in, answer questions, commiserate, talk about the daily grind, and give lights at the end of the tunnel (thinking of a post I just read).

Thanks, Jean, for reraising - there have been several good threads lately about this, haven't there. It's February-blues time!:D

I will probably really get kicked off for this, but I am having a real crisis of belief regarding classical education. We were doing fine, but then I stubbed my toe on Latin. I like languages, I am pretty good at languages and speak several. I feel that we could do fine with Latin, but I don't want to.

The more I began to explore my feelings regarding my Latin aversion, the more I began to develop a sense that the classical education is extremely "Western" in theme (and I don't mean cowboy!). What about the ancient knowledge and philosophies of China? India? The Middle East? Other civilizations? And I began to ponder the fact that the future may be much more focused on the Middle East and Far East than on the West, as it has been in the past. Would I be doing my child a disservice by not puting more emphasis on these other cultures?

I began to look for the fruit of the few classical homeschoolers I know in my area. And it wasn't bad..., just not quite as impressive as I had hoped in exchange for all the rigor and focus.

So currently I am drifting a bit. I know some things I want for dd's education and some I don't want. I am still trying to find my way. My hat's off to those of you who have chosen the WTM method and it is working well for you. Honestly, I am a bit envious. I hope I can find that which I am seeking.

Guest Cindie2dds

Well, I got about as far off track as I could get; but we are all truly thriving. I am grateful to SWB for her wonderful book, which I use as a reference quite often. I couldn't imagine not having these boards. I found out about Waldorf/Oak Meadow (thanks, Audrey) have gotten endless help with math (thanks, Bill) and found out what Charlotte Mason's methods were. Now we just mix, stir and strain to come out with our own thing. I wouldn't have found our groove as smoothly and as early on without this place. Even though I'm not technically a WTMer, I am very happy to learn as much as I can from all of you out there!

Do you find that you have moved away, even far away from WTM?

I was never WTM to start with! While I like the ideas of WTM, I don't think as written, it is the best choice for LD or ADHD kids. My guy takes a LOT of modifying of all curriculum, and is below grade level in all areas. He just cannot handle the amount of writing, memorizing, or logic that WTM calls for.

I pick and choose what elements I like from WTM, CM, unit studies, school-at-home, unschooling, you name it. My only concern is how best to teach my son, I don't so much care which method I use. Whatever works best!

Michelle T

Funny, I've found that WTM recs suit my Aspie and LD boys pretty well (for the most part). The copywork(small quantities), FLL, WWE, etc...are hits around here. But then all LD kids are different and will respond to different things. The short lessons, read alouds and stories (they can listen to while jumping on the mini trampoline or playing with playdoh) keep them sane during the day. I have been enjoying TWTM and found it easy to tweak as needed.

I really love that the author took some time to comment on this thread herself! Thanks SWB!

This is funny that this thread was brought back again. I first posted in this thread in Feb. 2008. In fact, 2 days away from being exactly 2 years, and I can still stand by my response. I haven't changed in 2 years. Yay! That means I've finally been consistent with something! :)

I gave up trying any curriculum that didn't have a written out do-this-today type schedule. But I've stayed on these boards because they are super for the most part. I truly appreciate SWB letting us have this board and letting members like me be here even though we don't follow WTM.

:) This is why I am here. I feel WTM is the only place where a desire to have my kids on sound academic footing and a commitment to help them get there will not be criticized.

I am not following WTM strictly, or very rigorously right now. But I am more inspired by the WTM approach than by anything else I have read, and the key ideas I am going with are from WTM. I think as we get further into our HSing journey I will be using more ideas from the WTM approach.

Our first grader is having some challenges with reading and writing. Anyplace else I ask for suggestions, at least two people will post or PM me that I should just trust him to read when he is ready, or relate some story of a child they read about who learned to read at a very late age and went on to earn three PhDs or something. The community here is very supportive of parents being committed to helping their child with academic learning. I really appreciate that.

:) This is why I am here. I feel WTM is the only place where a desire to have my kids on sound academic footing and a commitment to help them get there will not be criticized.

I am not following WTM strictly, or very rigorously right now. But I am more inspired by the WTM approach than by anything else I have read, and the key ideas I am going with are from WTM. I think as we get further into our HSing journey I will be using more ideas from the WTM approach.

Our first grader is having some challenges with reading and writing. Anyplace else I ask for suggestions, at least two people will post or PM me that I should just trust him to read when he is ready, or relate some story of a child they read about who learned to read at a very late age and went on to earn three PhDs or something. The community here is very supportive of parents being committed to helping their child with academic learning. I really appreciate that.

I so agree with what you wrote. I have been inspired by WTM and have definitely incorporated many aspects of it into our homeschool. Some years have been more "classical" than others. ;) That's ok.

But the people on this board have also helped me enormously. What a priceless resource, to find out about different curricula . . . to learn a different way of doing things that might work for our family!

And although all our families do things differently, and certainly take various approaches based on our individual families and students, I agree that there tends to be a common bond here of striving for academic excellence.

I realize that the goal of "academic excellence" is interpreted in multiple ways, and that's ok. But simply having the goal is a wonderfully refreshing change of pace from the majority of homeschoolers I know "in real life" who, in my opinion, tend to set up a false dichotomy between the goals of having a happy/healthy/spiritual family and aiming for academic excellence.

I like TWTM because it is half way between unschooling and school. It lays out which skills need to be specifically taught and which can be covered in a looser, child-let, interest-led way. This makes it efficient. I find the stages, not necessarily the ages but the stages, accurate for my children. Yes, I've modified TWTM recommendations to fit our family, but (ok, I really am shouting now so I'm going to use capitals)

I MODIFIED TWTM USING THE DIRECTIONS FOR DOING SO IN TWTM, SO I'M STILL DOING TWTM!!!

Grin. I think that is what you guys are all forgetting. TWTM TELLS you to modify it, and tells you HOW to modify it for your specific family. They didn't mean us to follow their recommendations exactly and do everything on their list and not change anything. They spend a lot of time in the book explaining that we are supposed to use our brains and our hearts and do what is best for our own particular families. TWTM even has suggestions for school-in-a-box and correspondence schools. If you guys have used TWTM as a springboard for homeschooling, then you are WTMers! I'm sure the last thing SWB and JW would want is for you to follow their suggestions no-brained-ly.

-Nan

*Like button*

:iagree:

I realize that the goal of "academic excellence" is interpreted in multiple ways, and that's ok. But simply having the goal is a wonderfully refreshing change of pace from the majority of homeschoolers I know "in real life" who, in my opinion, tend to set up a false dichotomy between the goals of having a happy/healthy/spiritual family and aiming for academic excellence.

:hurray:

When you talk about those who crash-and-burn, I think it's important to distinguish between academic rigor and those who just do too much and burn themselves out. :D

You can spot the overdoers coming a mile away, and you cringe for their probable future of crash-and-burn. Many times they aren't necessarily academically rigorous, they are just doing a lot of 'stuff.' They are blogging every day's lesson that took ten hours and $300 in materials with their 7 yo. They are giving advice on high school curriculum and they have 3 yo. They are arguing with their dh about spending $4500 on kindergarten curriculum. They get defensive when anyone tells them that they might possibly be overdoing it. ;)

There are many people here who have been academically rigorous for many years (many more than I have) and are still going strong. It doesn't necessarily lead to burnout. Oddly enough, most of those I know IRL who have crashed, burned, and sent the kiddos to school (disclaimer: I am not saying that everyone who sends dc to school has crashed and burned) are unschoolers or relaxed homeschoolers. I still haven't put my finger on why that might be, but I can say that there is not a parallel between classical/rigor and crash-and-burn.