Menu

Where do you go to vent?

Chris in VA

As one who holds unpopular opinions, AND has a husband in a somewhat public career,I can't vent most places without either offending or getting blasted.

So, if YOU hold opinions which are unpopular, where do you go to vent?

Or maybe I shouldn't "vent" at all, just take a walk or write it down in a journal?

I typically vent to my husband.

I have some friends who listen (about some topics).

This week has been kind of rough, and I vented to my son's guitar teacher. :001_rolleyes:

I asked first, then was all :cursing: and he was :smilielol5: so that helped. I did send a brief apology and thanks email the next day.

I think the biggest key is knowing your audience. What's safe and when? Both for you, your relationship with the person you're venting to, and for any possible repercussions.

I was going to suggest a journal. And I have a friend in a far-off other state who is very similar to me, and we "get" each other. So we call each other every few weeks for a phone visit. I am always amazed at what I can tell her and have her understand, or what I can express to her and have her say with relief, "Thank you for saying that!" Her friendship is one of my treasures.

ETA: I vent to my husband as well. He's usually a good listener. But he doesn't always "get" me either. My friend has a lot of the same emotions about things I do, and those often puzzle my dh. :001_rolleyes:

I have some friends who are very non-judgmental, which is nice! I also participate in a few forums with different perspectives on things. Today I just vented on the afterschooling board here, LOL. It depends what I'm venting about. Some things I can vent to my sisters / parents, but I don't do that a lot for some reason. I think they tend to exaggerate the issues and they keep coming back and wanting to talk about it some more, when I just wanted to get it off my chest.

I usually take a brisk walk outside or a run on the treadmill, depending on weather.

I then vent to my sister when she gets off work. She always listens and always agrees with me no matter how irrational I sound.

If I need to be told I'm wrong, my sister is kind enough to wait until a later time to tell me. We have a 100% sympathy agreement: we sympathize and take each other's side, 100% of the time. If we need advice, we can ask for an honest opinion, but most of the time we just need an ally.

Dh and here.

I can't vent to dh. He does that man-thing and offers suggestions about how I could easily resolve my problems... Drives me crazy. I know he's trying to help, but after all these years, he hasn't learned the difference between just venting and asking for advice.

I can't vent to dh. He does that man-thing and offers suggestions about how I could easily resolve my problems... Drives me crazy. I know he's trying to help, but after all these years, he hasn't learned the difference between just venting and asking for advice.

Yrs, my DH is a fixer and it drives me batty. Even if I say, "I don't need you to solve this for me, I just need you to listen." , he's incapable of not offering opinions and ways to solve it.

I have some online and some real life friends I go to, all are wonderful. Occasionally I've vented here.

As one who holds unpopular opinions, AND has a husband in a somewhat public career,I can't vent most places without either offending or getting blasted.

So, if YOU hold opinions which are unpopular, where do you go to vent?

Or maybe I shouldn't "vent" at all, just take a walk or write it down in a journal?

Oh, you should vent! LOL I like writing and journals but there is just something super cathartic about screwing up your face and ranting and saying things like, "...and FURTHERMORE... :lol:

DH is the only one I can vent to about one opinion I hold, one that is very...1950's. LOL Even he doesn't completely share the opinion, but he's willing to listen to me rant about it because he knows exactly why I hold the opinion. Other than that, my friends. When I am venting about parenting alone while DH is gone, or kids' behavior, or other Army/Mom stuff, I usually vent to a friend.

DH or MIL. Both are excellent at listening and letting me get it out, then moving on. I'm not good at venting verbally so it's almost always an email. They've learned to read and sit tight. If I don't say anything else, they know it's a vent. If I pursue it, they know to do more.

My sisters and/or other family members. A few good, trustworthy friends. A closed Facebook group.

To me, the key is venting to people about things that do not involve them. So, I don't vent about army issues to other army wives, unless it is something that is a universal complaint. I don't vent about issues involving the church to other church members. I don't vent about family issues to other family members.

I vent here :nopity: as long as it's not something ultra-personal. I also have a blog, and if it's sensitive or personal I'll make it a private post, or switch it to private after a day or so. It really helps.

Some message boards allow posters to vent anonymously. I don't think this one does but I'm not sure. There are plenty out there that do.

Obviously anything can be traced back to your IP so I wouldn't vent about anything really bad :eek:.