Menu

Ways for Teen (Son) To Make Money?

carriewillard

My oldest will be 15 in June. He's reached that plateau where he's interested in earning money beyond his weekly allowance. :)

I'm looking for some suggestions, things that have worked for your kids. Since he's a boy (and nobody will hire a boy babysitter although since he is the oldest of 7 he would be excellent!), babysitting is out.

Any ideas appreciated!

Carrie

Guest inoubliable

Yard work.

I wouldn't be so certain that no one will hire a male babysitter. If that's what he wants to do, consider a Red Cross Babysitting course? May give him an edge over his female peers.

Depending on what state you live in, he may be able to work a "real" job. Usually, these are "agricultural" jobs, but greenhouses count. There are numerous rules and restrictions, but it can be a great experience.

My first job was at a greenhouse at 14.

Yard work. Esp. weeding and other stuff involving crouching and crawling in the dirt (oh, my aching back!) also exterior painting or at least helping to scrap paint and prime. Washing cars. Walking dogs. Stuff the neighbors w/o teen kids need hlep with or would pay to NOT have to do themselves.

Check with the local park district, too - here, kids can be hired to help with younger kids at summer day camps. Libraries need pages to sort and reshelve books.

Dh had a huge paper route at that age, and his lawn mowing jobs grew into auto body work and house painting. He painted his last house (and did his last auto body work) shortly after we met, in his late twenties.

The best babysitter in our area was a boy, so don't rule out babysitting yet! :)

Also, has your ds considered selling stuff on eBay or Amazon? (I didn't suggest Craigslist, because I wouldn't be comfortable with a 15yo meeting buyers face-to-face, and I wouldn't want the nuisance of them coming to my home; you may be OK with it, though.)

The need I have every summer is a trusted animal care provider when we go on vacation. In our neighborhood, I would start a business by making up a flier stating services (feeding cats, dogs, dog walks, cleaning out guinea pig cages, spending quality time with animals, bringing in newspapers, packages, mail, watering plants, etc.). List neighborhood references. List rates. Then hit the streets--knock on doors, introduce yourself, hand them a flier, and bring a calendar to see who you can pencil in for their vacation care.

Lifegaurd at the local pool, YMCA or city "camp" (daycare camps), yogurt or ice cream shop, bagging groceries, bus boy at restraunts, any "tourist attractions" in your area (they usually have something for teens), check w/ the local library to see if they have or know of anything, movie theaters, fast food restraunts, lawn mowing, ....

Our favorite babysitter was male.

Get babysitting, first aid, CPR, and lifeguarding certs. Once he gets lifeguarding he should easily find a job. Until then, pursue the babysitting. Also, start pet sitting and yard work.

As we get into summer vacation months, put out fliers in the neighborhood for pet sitting and plant care. My dd makes good money watering plants while people are away. She has had a pet care business for years. She walks dogs too.

Yarn care

This can be more difficult than it appears, what with all the ravelling and so on . . . :001_cool:

Unless you've asked around already, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that people won't hire a male baby sitter. I certainly think many people would hire a male babysitter that they know (and I personally wouldn't let my teen babysit for someone we don't know). And you could make the cutest posters, with pics of your ds holding one sibling after another, lol. I do second the idea of taking the course, b/c babysitting for hire is not the same as babysitting your siblings.

Other than that, lawn mowing and car washing are pretty big moneymakers. He might consider offering a 'limited time only' price for new customers - I know that I'm often reluctant to hire younger people (or anyone I don't know, really) b/c I don't want to pay good money for work that would only please their grandma, y'know?

I have a couple teen boys. Things they have done:

1. Oldest set up a lawn business when he was 10. We lived in a neighborhood that had small yards and ds went with the "green" lawn care theme. He cut with a manual mower and did a great job. He had a few lawns each week.

2. They joined Little League and got the job of cleaning the bathrooms at the fields. They each made $500 that summer!

3. The next summer, oldest ds was asked to join the Little League field crew. He worked HARD and made a lot of money!! His younger brother was hired the next year.

4. Two summers later, my oldest is the head of the Little League field crew. He has a crew of 14 that he manages! His two younger brothers are on the crew. (Last summer, he made $2000!!)

5. Both the older boys babysit. A lot. Around here, boys are in HIGH demand. And, they get paid well.

6. My younger son has a pet sitting business.

7. All three have gotten the reputation in our area as hard workers. All have been hired by neighbors for odd jobs - moving furniture, hanging Christmas lights, trimming bushes, etc. Get your name out there - participate in activities that get you known as a hard worker and job opportunities will come your way. I often say that I'd do the things my kids are doing for what they are getting paid!!! I borrow money from them all the time!

A friend of ours' ds started his own pooper-scooper business when he was 13 or 14. He would go to neighbors' houses two or three times a week for $20 per client. He ended up making a thousand dollars a month!

Gross job, and I know I would hire someone for $20 per week!

When I was a girl I had a very close call with a male babysitter who was very inappropriate so I neither hire male babysitters, nor would I put my teen boys in that potential situation. (And no, I never mentioned it to my parents.)

Teens that I know of who make the most income in our town get a lawn mowing business going (beyond just 1-2 neighbors) or else work in painting and repairing housing around campus.

I would agree that babysitting might not be totally off the table, unless you mean he's tried it and got no response.

My next idea would be pet care. Either walking them during the day while owners are at work, or doing some very light pet sitting (say while someone is gone a day or two).

Lawn care sounds good, but it wouldn't work for us. We live in a condo in Chicago so no yards to care for anywhere around us, and in tn our neighbors all have hired "professional" lawn care people.

Things my sons have done before age 16 to earn cash ...

yes, YARD WORK! one summer they got together a group of 6 boys (ages 15-17), with their dads' tools, and got some pretty big jobs. People they knew (through church, etc.) were happy to hire kids they knew (and it was cheaper than hiring "real" landscapers)

caring for people's houses & plants when they are on vacation

one of my sons is very computer-savvy -- he has made a lot of money helping older people with basic computer issues, and also designing and maintaining websites for local businesses and individuals

neither boy was interested in babysitting or pets lol

at age 14 they could help their gymnastics teacher with parties

A friend of ours' ds started his own pooper-scooper business when he was 13 or 14. He would go to neighbors' houses two or three times a week for $20 per client. He ended up making a thousand dollars a month!

Gross job, and I know I would hire someone for $20 per week!

What a great idea! I wish we had a professional scooper. :)

WOW, these are some awesome ideas and things I would never have thought of! He ended up making an agreement with Grandma to do some eBaying. She provides the inventory, he does the work, they split the profits.

I am keeping this thread for the future though. Thanks again everyone!