Menu

Who has the most kids here? How many do most of us have?

How many kids do you have?  

1. 1. How many kids do you have?

Just wondering where Jean stands. ;) Also trying to decide if dh & I are "done." Not that this poll will have any bearing on that; the topic just has me thinking about family size.

If you're pg, go ahead & include newbie(s). If you've got more than 10, you'll have to leave a note to tell us how many--the poll only allows 10 choices.

Thanks for sharing!

Good question :) I was in a rather heated debate this weekend with the in-laws about how many kids a family can "handle" ; bil and sil have 1 and seem to believe I have corrupted the world by having more than 2! I think all families are wonderful, how can they judge everyone like that?! Of course they also think I'm that wacky homeschooler, so what can you do?

I have 3. I wish we could have had at least 6, but, it wasn't meant to be. So, I really enjoy the 3 I have twice as much!:001_smile:
:iagree: Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth...That's me too!

Good question :) I was in a rather heated debate this weekend with the in-laws about how many kids a family can "handle" ; bil and sil have 1 and seem to believe I have corrupted the world by having more than 2! I think all families are wonderful, how can they judge everyone like that?! Of course they also think I'm that wacky homeschooler, so what can you do?
I think your bil and sil are corrupting their children for only having one. How will they learn conflict control and other important things if they have no siblings???! :001_huh::tongue_smilie: If they say anything about the "s" word or that you're strange for homeschooling, tell them you feel sorry for their child that will grow up alone--now THAT'S strange! ;)

:iagree:

I think your bil and sil are corrupting their children for only having one. How will they learn conflict control and other important things if they have no siblings???! :001_huh::tongue_smilie: If they say anything about the "s" word or that you're strange for homeschooling, tell them you feel sorry for their child that will grow up alone--now THAT'S strange! ;)

:tongue_smilie:Hey now. I have one. :D However, dh is still a child at heart, so ds is never short of a playmate.

I think all families are wonderful - we were almost the parents with an "only" - our first did a lot of damage to me at her birth and we were done - until things changed :) If bil and sil only have 1, that's great. I just don't think they can judge a family with more than 1; they simply do not know what they are talking about.

With my name, I know it is really hard to tell. ;)

Actually, I always feel guilty when I say we have 7 kids. Our 2nd child is actually deceased. She was stillborn just days before my due date. A beautiful, perfect baby girl. So, in my heart we have 8. To the rest of the world, I am a momof7.

Though I am always open to the possibility of a new life, I would say we are probably not having any more.

I have only 2 - one pregnancy, two dc, and I'm good (I'm really rather efficient, you know). In my mother's family, though, there were 13 children. And in my father's, seven. They are all very close, no matter what, which is absolutely priceless, in my opinion.

I have only 2 - one pregnancy, two dc, and I'm good (I'm really rather efficient, you know). In my mother's family, though, there were 13 children. And in my father's, seven. They are all very close, no matter what, which is absolutely priceless, in my opinion.
My mom is one of 12. My dad is one of 29 if you count step, half and whole! Yikes! I don't even know all my cousins! :tongue_smilie: But when my parents were growing up, a large percentage of people had a lot of kids! In my dad's case it's a man with 6 marrying a women with 5, then divorcing, and marrying another, and having more children....

My partner has two, I had two, then we had one together, so technically we have five. However, I answered four. My partner's eldest was almost an adult when I moved in with them, and I never parented him. He did homeschool for twelfth grade under my supervision, but that was so unlike hs'ing a kid -- more like helping out a friend.

I would adopt more if I could afford them. Also, if I could afford a maid. In ten years. Maybe. For now, I am done with babies.

My partner's 11yo doesn't share my value system, because his mom doesn't, so I didn't notice any big kid benefits when he turned eight. However, now that my 8yo is a big kid, I'm grokking the joy that moms of many must feel, having little ones and big ones at once. It's awesome to see my 8yo with my 2yo.

Four, and really, I'm done.

Actually, as they get older, I would love to adopt. I loved being pregnant, and I even loved giving birth ... but after #4 was born I suddenly and firmly had a desire to never, ever, be pregnant again! I miss the babies, but .... yeah. Done.

Actually, I always feel guilty when I say we have 7 kids. Our 2nd child is actually deceased. She was stillborn just days before my due date. A beautiful, perfect baby girl. So, in my heart we have 8. To the rest of the world, I am a momof7.

Though I am always open to the possibility of a new life, I would say we are probably not having any more.

:iagree: As my signature line shows I have more in Heaven than on earth and always feel guilty when I say four. I often say only four. I will take whatever I can get because I just love babies. Of course if any of you would like some older kids I've got some cheap! :D

BTW has anyone noticed that I really learned how to quote today. What an accomplishment!

We have 3, we almost stopped at 2 because our dd was one stubborn little girl, when she was 3 years old we noticed her becoming easier to handle so we thought "we always said 3 would be perfect" so went ahead and tried when my dh had a 1 week visit to us before deploying. Well "it took" as he tells people and we had our 3rd child. We toyed around with the idea of 4 but decided we are enjoying the ones we have and adding too it would be nice but would make things quite a bit harder. It's hard enough to find a house we fit in since most Navy housing isn't big enough for all our junk and the 3 we have. We're both happy we stopped with 3, it just feels like a perfect fit for us.

The weddings, my gosh, the weddings! LOL! Dh and I were only allowed to invite 15 of our friends because we were nearly at our 250 quota with just family!

My mom is one of 12. My dad is one of 29 if you count step, half and whole! Yikes! I don't even know all my cousins! :tongue_smilie: But when my parents were growing up, a large percentage of people had a lot of kids! In my dad's case it's a man with 6 marrying a women with 5, then divorcing, and marrying another, and having more children....

We have 5 girls. I had a co-worker tell me that unless you could provide separate bedrooms, you should haven't more children. It wasn't fair to the child. Had to laugh. My husband comes from a family of 14. 9 boys, 5 girls. The boys all shared one bedroom. I was going to say you could never tell, but maybe that's the reason they're such responsible, hard working, honest, contributing, well educated members of society.

Janet

We have 5 girls. I had a co-worker tell me that unless you could provide separate bedrooms, you should haven't more children. It wasn't fair to the child. Had to laugh. My husband comes from a family of 14. 9 boys, 5 girls. The boys all shared one bedroom. I was going to say you could never tell, but maybe that's the reason they're such responsible, hard working, honest, contributing, well educated members of society.

Janet

Does she have size requirements for those bedrooms? Because you could always offer closets to your dc & see whether they'd prefer to share a bigger "room." :lol: We Americans are a silly lot sometimes.

I've heard it from many people that it's horrible that our 2 girls share a bedroom - it's such a shock to people that we think that's OK!

What would they do if they knew that our 4 dc (mixed genders/young) shared a room for almost 2 yrs. Of course it was 24ft long and we had it set up as a dormitory with the girls on one side and ds on the other.

I've heard it from many people that it's horrible that our 2 girls share a bedroom - it's such a shock to people that we think that's OK!

When I was growing up it was the norm for sisters to share bedrooms and brothers to share. (you do hear the violin, right?) If there were 3 of the same, it varied somewhat. But the fashion has gone to larger houses, whether or not we truly need them. I remember the first time we lived in CA, one of the doctors had 7 kids, and all the girls shared one bedroom and all the boys another.

Does she have size requirements for those bedrooms? Because you could always offer closets to your dc & see whether they'd prefer to share a bigger "room." :lol: We Americans are a silly lot sometimes.

I should say the bedroom my dh shared with his brothers was the basement although it wasn't a full basement. But the story of the basement is even better. My mil, being of the old school that believed in hard work and that laziness was of the devil, got the kids organized one summer and told them they were going to dig to China. So not only did they all share one room, they dug their own basement.

The 5 girls also shared a bedroom upstairs.

Still a happy family that all gets along. I have one sister, always had separate bedroom, and we rarely speak. My dh's family are all on great terms. Makes one wonder, huh?

Janet

Just wondering where Jean stands. ;) Also trying to decide if dh & I are "done." Not that this poll will have any bearing on that; the topic just has me thinking about family size.

If you're pg, go ahead & include newbie(s). If you've got more than 10, you'll have to leave a note to tell us how many--the poll only allows 10 choices.

Thanks for sharing!

Aubrey I have to share a weird thought I've had about you several times lately. When you post about your children, or the new baby coming or some such, I have thought, 'This new baby will only be 4? huh. Thought she had more than that.' :lol:

Aubrey I have to share a weird thought I've had about you several times lately. When you post about your children, or the new baby coming or some such, I have thought, 'This new baby will only be 4? huh. Thought she had more than that.' :lol:

So you're saying I have wisdom beyond my, um, children? ;)

Wait. You could be saying I sound old or harried or something. :001_huh: Just kidding.

I actually kind-of know what you mean, although I had that thought at 2. Dh & I found out we might not be able to have more, & I thought about the idea of stopping at 2. There were good & bad points, like anybody, I guess. But deep down, I knew that wasn't "me."

Honestly, 4 is a big number for the families we come from. I have trouble imagining more. But...I'm not sure. Kwim?

I voted 4 even though only three of mine are living. We had a daughter who was born at term and had a very serious heart defect. She lived six weeks before she passed away.

:grouphug: to you from a mommy who understands the hesitation sometimes to mention the full number of kids and then have to give an explanation.

One. But I understand those who posted feeling guilty about not giving the "correct" number of children, as we have one in heaven as well through a miscarriage. So I would prefer to say two. Actually, I would prefer to say eight or ten, but God did not see it that way for dh and I (ages against us now), who BTW, happen to be "only" children who, by the world's standard (and I guess technically), are parents to an "only." We rejoice that God gave him to us - and has let us keep him this long as we almost lost him a few times earlier this year (cancer survivor who relapsed, had medically very difficult time, and long road ahead). But God is so good - His promises are yea and amen - He's the "strength of my heart and my portion forever!" (Psalm 73:26)

I have 3. I always wanted 4, until I had 2 in 367 days. Actually, I wanted another baby after that, but dh said no, and the longer I wasn't pregnant, the less I wanted to be. And then it had been so long, I thought God said "No, you have enough." So, I thought, OK. Not what *I* would have chosen, but being that he's the creator of the universe I thought I would learn to be OK with it. Then along came the Snort! :lol:

I would like to adopt at least 1, but dh is not on that same page. However, I thought God said no to more babies, and I have a son to prove that he has different ideas than I do. So I'm not giving up on my dream of adoption just yet.

What would they do if they knew that our 4 dc (mixed genders/young) shared a room for almost 2 yrs. Of course it was 24ft long and we had it set up as a dormitory with the girls on one side and ds on the other.
Or how about this one--My mom's parents divided up who went in which of the TWO rooms (12 kids) by who wet the bed and who didn't, boys or girls didn't matter! :001_huh: