Menu

Sewing can be hazardous to your health.

fairfarmhand

Sunday, I was sewing at the kitchen table and I set down my arm on a pin in a wad of fabric. It poked up 1/4 to 1/2 inch into my elbow. I woke up several times in the night with my whole arm aching. When I was at the dr. with my dd for her nagging cough I asked them to check my records and make sure that I was up to date on my tetanus vaccines. Before I knew it, I was being seen by the dr for a "puncture wound. " Since it was right in the joint of my arm they wanted to make sure that I wouldn't get an infection. (apparently that is fairly likely, and it can be very painful) So now I am on antibiotics and I got to have a tetanus shot too. (nice side effect of this antibiotic?....nausea and diarrhea)

I stuck a pin in my left elbow, and because of that, I had to have a needle stuck into my right arm. Now both arms are sore. :)

The moral of the story is this...If you are going to do something dangerous like sew a dress, make sure you are up to date on your tetanus shots! (I should stick to safe things like riding four wheelers with no helmets or climbing trees)

Oh no! How awful!

Here's a tip for safe sewing -- don't hold pins or needles in your mouth. Sometimes people accidentally swallow them. I get really freaked out thinking about that.

yeah, I never do that. I'm (obviously) clumsy eenough that I would accidentally swallow one!

I also has the tetanus-and-antibiotic treatment for a sewing injury! A while ago I sewed through my finger with the sewing machine, and broke the needle off in my finger (about 7mm, with about 2mm of that sticking out). My reactions are apparently too slow to avoid sewing machine needles but too fast to allow the needle to lift before yanking my finger out the way. My hands were too clammy and shaky to get a hold of the thing with dh's pliers, but the neighbours' son was visiting with his work tools, and was kind enough to yank it out. And then the tetanus shot on top of that, what fun...

Here's another tip.... wear some sort of glasses while using the sewing machine. The last time I used it, I was hemming pants and the needle broke into at least three pieces, several of them hit me square in the face and one nearly went into my eye~~it hit me *under* my eyebrow!

I only found three pieces, but it didn't rebuild a complete needle. I never found the rest. :huh:

I promised myself that in the future I would wear some sort of eye protection while using the sewing machine, even if it's only my woodshop glasses!! :lol:

OP, I am sorry for your sore arms. The 'good news' is that you have a great story to tell!

Feel better!!

Some of the 4-Hers with whom I work sew over pins. Drives me nuts since it seems more likely to shatter a needle using this method.

I have had the same thing happen when stitching through several layers of denim. Now I buy denim needles and change them frequently when sewing denim or canvas!

Some of the 4-Hers with whom I work sew over pins. Drives me nuts since it seems more likely to shatter a needle using this method.

I have had the same thing happen when stitching through several layers of denim. Now I buy denim needles and change them frequently when sewing denim or canvas!

I have taught my kids to sew over pins. Who wants to repin a complicated seam if the machine runs out of bobbin?

I have taught my kids to sew over pins. Who wants to repin a complicated seam if the machine runs out of bobbin?

Well I ask that they sew slowly and pull the pins out as they sew. Granted, this can be hard for a novice who is stitching a curve.

Admittedly I will sometimes sew over my dressmaker pins which are slim. The big quilting ones are often used by the kids though. They are the ones that scare me.

Fair farmhand, come visit and we can do a safe hobby like rubberstamping. The stamps are very soft! We'll have fun!

Just don't do any heat embossing! The powder could get in your eyes, you could burn your fingers with the heating tool . . . :D

Before I knew it, I was being seen by the dr for a "puncture wound. " Since it was right in the joint of my arm they wanted to make sure that I wouldn't get an infection.

A couple days ago dd managed to staple her thumb. After cleaning her up my first thought was to check her shot records. She was up-to-date on tetanus so I wasn't worried. When I told dh about it his first thought was about infection. If the bone gets nicked it can lead to infection. He said there was such a warning about the sharps in his blood glucose testing kit; that one should be careful not to puncture too deep as to nick a bone. Until then I didn't even realize that could be a problem.

Okay, gang, WHY did I revisit this thread? I'm waiting for dd to be ready to head to the fabric store, since I have a boatload of sewing to do in the next few weeks, and I'm reading sewing horror stories. :ack2:

1. I've never sewn over my finger. Maybe I'm bucking the odds, and my time is coming? Should we stop by for a tetanus booster on the way home?

2. I always wear glasses when I sew, but that's because my eyes are going bad. Soon after I started wearing cheaters to use the machine, one of the needles broke and flew in my face. It was very startling. So, yeah, even if my eyes miraculously got better I'd probably still wear glasses.

3. There are denim pins? How did I not know this?

I mentioned denim needles. Pins?

I have not sewn over my fingers either!

Oh, you're right. :blushing: I even HAVE denim needles, but still misread it.

I was excited about the idea of denim pins because the pins I have bend too easily. But I have a gazillion of them since I bought the giant economy size container, and I feel guilty about throwing them out.

Ouch! I hope it feels better, and am glad you had the wisdom to ask the dr about it.

Here's another tip.... wear some sort of glasses while using the sewing machine. The last time I used it, I was hemming pants and the needle broke into at least three pieces, several of them hit me square in the face and one nearly went into my eye~~it hit me *under* my eyebrow!

I only found three pieces, but it didn't rebuild a complete needle. I never found the rest. :huh:

I promised myself that in the future I would wear some sort of eye protection while using the sewing machine, even if it's only my woodshop glasses!! :lol:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: I had the same experience, but I was wearing glasses, and a bit of the needle flew right into my glasses. I saw it and heard it, but fortunately my eye was protected by the lens. But it totally *freaked me out* and now I NEVER sew without my glasses on. *shudder*

Yeah...I sewed through my finger when I was 16. My aunt laughed and said I was initiated! Oddly enough, that was about the time my skills improved and I became a proficient seamstress!

I did that once. I was distracted by a crawling baby. The needle went right through the nail and out the other side of my finger before snapping off the machine.

Is it bad juju to admit that I have neither sown through my finger nor cut off any flesh with a rotary cutter? My mother sowed through her finger when I was too young to remember, and had the neighbor extract the needle with a pair of pliers.

Yikes! It's amazing what a problem a little pin can be!

We should start a club--I've had a sewing-related injury too. I had just bought a brand new pair of super-sharp titanium scissors. I was holding the thread from behind the machine and when I tried to clip it, I managed to clip the skin between my thumb and forefinger as well! That one required a tetanus shot and a butterfly bandage.

Oh no! How awful!

Here's a tip for safe sewing -- don't hold pins or needles in your mouth. Sometimes people accidentally swallow them. I get really freaked out thinking about that.

Or sometimes they chip their teeth on them.... I have I tiny, pin size chip in one of my front teeth lol

To OP it may seem what they did might be overkill but I do know someone who died because they pricked themselves on a needle that had staph infection on it after it was dropped on the floor of a nursing home.

I thought you were going to say you sewed through your finger...BTDT. Lol