Menu

I need a new bible. What version do you have and why did you choose it?

I use New Amercian Standard because it is the most literal translation that I've found. It's not the easiest to read though. The NIV is much smoother to read.

I flat out reject any paraphrases, especially "The Message." I also do not use study Bibles with commentary added.

I'm sure you're going to get many varied answers and opinions. You need to decide what is most important to you personally in a Bible.

Kris

I dislike The Message. I used to have a pastor who used it exclusively and it oftens reads very badly, especially aloud. I like the NLT for everday use and the ESV for something more formal.

Psalm 23, The Message:

1-3 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.

You have bedded me down in lush meadows,

you find me quiet pools to drink from.

True to your word,

you let me catch my breath

and send me in the right direction.

4 Even when the way goes through

Death Valley,

I'm not afraid

when you walk at my side.

Your trusty shepherd's crook

makes me feel secure.

5 You serve me a six-course dinner

right in front of my enemies.

You revive my drooping head;

my cup brims with blessing.

6 Your beauty and love chase after me

every day of my life.

I'm back home in the house of God

for the rest of my life.

Psalm 23, NLT:

1 The Lord is my shepherd;

I have all that I need.

2 He lets me rest in green meadows;

he leads me beside peaceful streams.

3 He renews my strength.

He guides me along right paths,

bringing honor to his name.

4 Even when I walk

through the darkest valley,[a]

I will not be afraid,

for you are close beside me.

Your rod and your staff

protect and comfort me.

5 You prepare a feast for me

in the presence of my enemies.

You honor me by anointing my head with oil.

My cup overflows with blessings.

6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me

all the days of my life,

and I will live in the house of the Lord

forever.

Psalm 23, ESV:

1The LORD is my(A) shepherd; I shall not(B) want.

2He makes me lie down in green(C) pastures.

He leads me beside still waters.[a]

3He(D) restores my soul.

He(E) leads me in(F) paths of righteousness[b]

for his(G) nameĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s sake. 4Even though I(H) walk through the valley of(I) the shadow of death,[c]

I will(J) fear no evil,

for(K) you are with me;

your(L) rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

5You(M) prepare a table before me

in(N) the presence of my enemies;

you(O) anoint my head with oil;

my(P) cup overflows.

6Surely[d] goodness and mercy[e] shall follow me

all the days of my life,

and I shall(Q) dwell[f] in the house of the LORD

(R) forever.[g]

Footnotes:

1. Psalm 23:2 Hebrew beside waters of rest
  2. Psalm 23:3 Or in right paths
  3. Psalm 23:4 Or the valley of deep darkness
  4. Psalm 23:6 Or Only
  5. Psalm 23:6 Or steadfast love
  6. Psalm 23:6 Or shall return to dwell
  7. Psalm 23:6 Hebrew for length of days

I tend to collect different Bible translations. :) I have a NKJV, New Revised Standard Version, NIV, Message, ESV, and my next one will be a New Living Translation Life Application Study Bible (has commentary). I use my NIV the most, but I love all of the ones I have for different reasons.

I use New Amercian Standard because it is the most literal translation that I've found. It's not the easiest to read though. The NIV is much smoother to read.

I flat out reject any paraphrases, especially "The Message." I also do not use study Bibles with commentary added.

I'm sure you're going to get many varied answers and opinions. You need to decide what is most important to you personally in a Bible.

Kris

:iagree:This is what I would have said, but Kris beat me to it!

I love the NASB, it's the most accurate version in everyday type language. I also second the recommendation of a parallel Bible, it helps you to glean a deeper understanding of the passage. One neat one, is the Interlinear bible it's huge and comes in two volumes-OT and NT, but it gives the text in the original language(ie. Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic) with a direct translation in English, plus the NASB and NIV translations on the sides. Hope that helps!

I have a few different versions but my favorite is the NKJV...I grew up on King James and this holds a lot of that while removing the "thee & thou" aspect which I prefer when reading aloud to my kids. I also like the Message, not as a stand alone, but as a fun and readable comparison to my NKJV. I often read one followed by the other to get a different look at the same passage.

As for commentary, I like it. I enjoy having a bit of historical context added in but as someone already said, it's important to remember that this part is not gospel. My NKJV is a Nelson and I've enjoyed the notes.

Have fun shopping! I love choosing a new Bible!

My two favorite versions are the ESV and the NASB because I believe they are the most accurate literal translations. Of the two, I use the ESV because it has the accuracy of the NASB, but is more readable, like an NIV. I do like a study Bible, so I am using the Reformation Study Bible.

I love the ESV. It's very true to the original text, well-regarded, and it's very nice to read. It has a flow to it that I don't hear in some of the other versions.

As far as one version that I'd have to say "no way" to now, I'm sorry to say that it's the NIV. I used and enjoyed reading that version for years, but some experiences dh and I had in a Sunday School class a couple of years ago showed me how far the NIV can sometimes be from the original text. At that time, dh had the NIV, and I had the ESV, and very frequently our teacher would be reading a passage (he has NKJV), and would stop and explain a portion, explaining what the Greek literally said.. dh and I would compare how our Bibles translated that portion, and we were both surprised... the ESV was invariably right on the money, while the NIV was often much, much different!! I mean significantly different. Over time, we moved away from the NIV because of this, and now we both use the ESV. I used to like the NIV because it was simple to read and understand, but imo, the ESV is just as easy to understand, flows better, and is closer to the original.

Erica

For a , uh, "heathen", I sure own a lot of Bibles.

From a Jewish perspective, I really enjoy the New JPS "Tanakh" (a very crisp and readable translation). I also value "The Torah:A Modern Commentary" by Gunther Plaut (especially for the extensive and highly interesting collection of rabbinic commentaries) and Everett Fox's "Five books of Moses" (which is a masterful attempt at bringing the feel of ancient Hebrew into English).

I've also enjoyed the (Catholic) "New Jerusalem Bible". The "story-telling" language is remarkable in this version, and the translators have done a magnificent job of keeping the language both elevated and reverential while not being archaic or unclear. A very pleasurable version to "read".

My favorite single edition is Barry Moser's illustrated KJV Bible. The quality of the engravings are very high, but of even greater value (to me) is the extremely artful use of typography and design in this master-work. I know of no other printed version which approaches Moser's edition for reverential artistry. And it is not just "art for art's sake" either, as the beautiful (and large) type-faces, and the way the pages are lovingly layed out, make reading the King James version a pleasure (rather than the chore it can be using onion-skin). Sadly, I'm not sure the hardcover version I own is currently in print.

HTH

Bill

I have one of each that I use regularly. I use ESV for most of my Bible study - it's a literal translation that's very readable. It's theologically very conservative. It's promoted as "a new, essentially literal Bible translation that combines word-for-word precision and accuracy with literary excellence, beauty, and readability."

I also like NLT for a more contemporary reading without the informality of The Message. It's a thought-for-thought translation rather than a word-for-word translation, but reads much better than others of this type.

Here's a good article on choosing a translation from American Bible Society.

I use the NKJV for a couple reasons. I find it easy enough to read and still be accurate. Also, it's definitely the most used version in my church, so it's easier to follow along during sermons and Bible studies. I do have quite a few other versions (as well as e-sword) for getting other perspectives during personal studies.

I love the ESV. It's very true to the original text, well-regarded, and it's very nice to read. It has a flow to it that I don't hear in some of the other versions.

As far as one version that I'd have to say "no way" to now, I'm sorry to say that it's the NIV. I used and enjoyed reading that version for years, but some experiences dh and I had in a Sunday School class a couple of years ago showed me how far the NIV can sometimes be from the original text. At that time, dh had the NIV, and I had the ESV, and very frequently our teacher would be reading a passage (he has NKJV), and would stop and explain a portion, explaining what the Greek literally said.. dh and I would compare how our Bibles translated that portion, and we were both surprised... the ESV was invariably right on the money, while the NIV was often much, much different!! I mean significantly different. Over time, we moved away from the NIV because of this, and now we both use the ESV. I used to like the NIV because it was simple to read and understand, but imo, the ESV is just as easy to understand, flows better, and is closer to the original.

Erica

:iagree: and this is why we wont use the NIV. We do use KJV now but are looking at ESV as well as NAS ( I think?)

Kris

Same here. I completely reject paraphrases, but I have a Ryrie study bible. I like his commentary, but don't always agree with it.

When he evaluates a Bible translation, he checks to see how the translators handled certain verses. One of these is John 3:16. He says that if the translators use something to the effect that "God loved the world so much...", they don't show a complete understanding of the original language. The concept is not how much God loved the world, but how (in what way) He loved the world. How did God love the world? By giving His only son. Less accurate translations, according to dh, try to quantify God's love by saying something like, "God loved the world so much that He gave his only son."

There are other verses that he checks, but this gives you an example of what I'm talking about. Dh says that the Holman CSB passes his tests.

additional information in the notes, plus cross-references. In English, I believe the New American Standard is very accurate.

One of my favorite additional study resources, which I bought a few years ago, is the PC Study Bible, which I purchased through Biblesoft. There are a huge number of additional resources, such as the Apocrypha, a number of Bible translations, many, many commentaries and maps, interlinear Hebrew and Greek Bibles, standard resources like Strong's, Thayer's, Vine's, etc. There are many resources available for both Catholic and Protestant believers, as well as many add-ons that can be purchased as well. This resource has been invaluable to me when I want to do a more in-depth study of a particular section of Scripture.

I am a KJVO kinda gal. If I want to check another translation I will pull it up online.

It is due to extensive studying on the various texts that were used in translating that I choose the KJV.

I don't bible bash people who choose to use other translations though...please don't flame me on being KJVO.

My husband and I both the the MacArthur Study Bible. We are gonna get one for our teen son and then one for our daughter when she is older :001_smile:

My husband right now is into the ESV. We just bought a couple small ESV at the Christian Book Store for $5 each(great buy).

My husband doesn't like "The Message" either~don't remember who said they didn't like it...

:iagree: with what Kris posted. I also like the ESV, again for purity of translation. I do happen to use a study bible with commentary, it is a MacArthur Study Bible and I think it's great. Just don't take the commentary as Scripture:001_smile:.

Also, are there any versions you rejected completely, and for what reasons were they "no way" for you?

Just a thought - I've found I prefer to have my commentary in a separate volume. It's too distracting to have it on the same page as Scripture, for me. I'd rather study the text then turn to commentary if I need clarification.

I collect Bibles too, LOL.

My favorite for literal translation is the ESV. I bought it in the Reformation Study Bible version because it fits my theology, and a lot of the commentary was done by profs where I went to grad school. I also like the NIV for readablility and accuracy. One of the major contributors to this group translation was a member of my church for years and years, and until his passing (just a few months ago) he insisted that it was the most accurate due not only to the teamwork used, but also for cultural understanding of the words, not so much as a literal word-for-word interpretation. I do like the NLT for making some passages easier to understand, and I like the KJV for memorizing, especially passages like Psalms and the Lord's Prayer. I do also have NASB and NKJV, but I don't use those as often.

I think I will go with either the ESV or the "American" one. I can't recall the initials now! :lol: Now I just have to find one that has the kind of cover I want! I am going to shop tomorrow, so I appreciate the wisdom.

And, to Phred's post...have you ever wondered how much longer bibles will be in motels? I often wonder if and how often Gideons get "turned down" from placing or handing out bibles?

I think the KJV, NKJV, NASB, and ESV are all excellent translations. I like the NKJV because it is close to the KJV but is easier to read so I can follow along on Sunday when my pastor reads aloud without too much difficulty. Very often, at least once a Sunday, my pastor will read a passage out of the KJV from the pulpit and pause to clarify an archaic term. He will say, "That word actually means ________ in the original language," and 9 out of 10 times that's the word used in the NKJV. It's uncanny:). I have a MacArthur Study Bible and I find the notes help me understand a lot more, but as another person already said you have to remember not to treat the notes as Scripture.

I tend to collect different Bible translations. :) .

Me Too! I have KJV, NKJV, NIV, AMP, The Message (which I used only occationally for reference) & NASB.

I use NKJV and AMP the most.

One thing about switching around- it messes with your memorization.

Are you really allowed to take one? I never knew.

Well, if you take one, whoever stays in the room after you won't have a Bible to look at. On the other hand, the Gideons come by once a year or so, collect all the Bibles currently in the rooms and give us a complete new set. Seems like a waste of money to me, because it appears most of the Bibles have not even been opened in the year they were in the rooms. They insist on collecting all the old ones--they don't like our suggestions to just replace any that might have been taken or that look worn.

The NASB is a literal translation at about a 12th grade reading level

The ESV is a literal translation at about an 8th grade reading level.

I personally find the NASB too "clunky" for reading. Not to be irreverent, but I liken reading this particular TRANSLATION to trying to bounce a basketball without enough air in it.

The ESV flows much better. I have the Literary Study Bible in ESV. I would really like to have the ESV Study Bible that Crossway is putting out this fall, but I don't know if I can justify having yet another Bible in the house.

I have several. Most, if not all, were gifts. The last one I bought had 4 translations side by side. The one I use the most is the New American Standard. They did very careful research and I believe it is one of the most accurate translations. Also, I like the way they word things. It is a phrase by phrase rather than an word by word translation. My husband dislikes it because they use "Thee" and "Thou" when referring to God. He says there's no point in that since the original Greek and Hebrew used normal and not special pronouns to refer to God. He's got a point there, but the pronouns don't bother me and I like the translation otherwise, so I use it.

I would never use a paraphrase like the Message or the Living Bible for my main study Bible because there's too much room for error when it's just somone's opinion of what the original said instead of a best attempt to translate as exactly as possible.

I absolutely *hate* the New Century version because in its attempt to be gender neutral it has gone way to far. I don't mind substituting people or human beings for mankind, but when the original clearly meant a male person and they substitute a gender neutral term, that changes the meaning of the passage.

For a , uh, "heathen", I sure own a lot of Bibles.

Bill

How can you call yourself a "heathen" when you worship the one true G-d (put that way out of, I hope, respect for your beliefs)? As a Christian, I believe in a fuller revelation of that G-d in Jesus, but certainly respect that the G-d you worship is the true one. Maybe you don't return the favor. That's o.k. No one should feel bad about believing what they think is true.

Also, I love your Bible suggestions. I'm going to check some of them out.

The ESV is coming out with a study Bible this fall.

Yes, I can't wait!! I love my ESV (in addition to really appreciating the translation itself, I also like the relatively large print size, 10.5, which is so nice for reading), but I have wished for an ESV Study Bible as well. The print size is going to be smaller on the new one, I think 9, but will be worth it to have those study features. Can't wait!!

Erica

How can you call yourself a "heathen" when you worship the one true G-d (put that way out of, I hope, respect for your beliefs)? As a Christian, I believe in a fuller revelation of that G-d in Jesus, but certainly respect that the G-d you worship is the true one. Maybe you don't return the favor. That's o.k. No one should feel bad about believing what they think is true.

Also, I love your Bible suggestions. I'm going to check some of them out.

In case my comments were misconstrued (as I'm afraid they have been) I am not Jewish. I grew up (and continue to live) in an area where I have a strong exposure to Jewish friends and to Judaism.

I have "studied" Judaism, I have benefited from exploring this tradition, finding wisdom, intellectual depth, and I am fascinated by the Jewish process of judging ethics and determining how we should live our lives. My life has been very enriched by my exposure to Judaism.

But let me make it very clear, I was not in any way trying to suggest Jews are "heathens". I am not (except in a little piece of my heart) Jewish.

I appreciate your goodwill in posting, and I'm sorry my unclear initial post lead you to think I was abasing *my* religion. I was not.

The "heathen" comment (about myself) was meant light-heartedly. I try to learn from all the great faiths and have found wisdom in them (as well as things that frighten me to be honest), but I'm not a "member" of any of these faith traditions.

You were very good-hearted to post. I read your words exactly in the spirit in which they were intended :001_smile:

Peace,

Bill

Erica

Wow, Erica! We had the exact same thing happen. Our church members use many different versions, and we are blessed that during Bible study, we will often stop to compare the different versions, and we learned a lot from this. Dh had an NIV, I had an NASB, and many of the other people had either ESV, NKJV, or NIV. So very many times, dh would comment that his NIV said either something different than the other translations or even the exact opposite. We all switched to NKJV in our family (although I also have an ESV that I really like for my own personal study.)

ETA: Oh, and I switched from the NASB because of exactly what Staci said; the NASB is way too wordy for me. I like smooth sentences. :)