Menu

How old is your microwave

DawnM

I think we need a new one. It is taking longer than normal to heat things, is making some odd noises, and the paint inside is chipping. It is 8 years old.

I hate spending money for stuff like this.

What should we get (under $200 and countertop model.)

Dawn

its funny, i have one, in the laundry room, our second, which i swear is at least 15 years old. we have a kitchen one mounted over the stove, with built-in fan for the oven, so we NEED it . . . we havent had one last 2 years yet!! when i do the research, there does not seem to be much difference. go for the features that matter to you - things like do you want it tall enough to reheat a travel mug? do you want lots of pre-sets for frozen food? do you want a sensor for potatoes? is the screen too small to read (i cant read the clock on my new one from across the kitchen, and i almost need my glasses to read the pad). i read reviews at lowes and sears websites and then went to lowes and just kinda randomly chose one.

Our first microwave, 21 years ago, last for years. In the last four years I have gone through four microwaves - am at the point of expecting a one-year life out fo the things, and buying the cheapest (less than $100) one with the most power that will fit a large dinner plate. Sigh. Like refrigerators, which seem to last a mere ten years at best now, microwaves have become almost disposable appliances.

Unless you can afford to spend a heck of a lot more on a top quality model? We can't.

We got a new one about three years ago, but I don't use it for much (I love, love, love my infrared toaster oven, which has almost almost all the convenience benefits of a microwave)... but I hate its UI. You can't use the timer when the microwave itself is in use, there are no quick settings (1 min, 2 min, etc.), and no keypad... only a knob. This is my one dumb appliance purchase.

I honestly don't remember when we got our microwave, so that tells me it's pretty old. ;) I'm guessing 8-10 years. Still looks great and works fine, but maybe that's because DH is really the only one using it. If it were up to me, I'd get rid of it as I don't use it.

It's a GE microwave.

Ours lasted about 5 years before we had to replace. The push button to open the door broke, and there was no way of fixing just that part. Had to get the same one again, as it is a built in specific to that size and insert. I agree, things are just not made to last anymore.

ETA: My PSA for the day...if you replace with the same microwave, keep the plate that fits inside as a spare!! Had to replace ours when it fell out and shattered. It was about $45 to replace, and very hard to find! :eek:

Ours is only a year old. We bought a new microwave and stove/oven last year. The one we replaced though, was 20 years old. It was here (built-in) when we bought the house and worked fine, so we never felt the need to replace it. It must have known we were getting rid of it because it stopped working just a few weeks before we bought the new one. :D

This one is about seven years old. Our last one was much older, but when we moved here we gave it away.

Ours is mounted over the cooktop, and it has a fan and a light. Our kitchen was designed for it, and I like having the counter space that my old microwave took up, but I have seen some pretty funky microwave installs, so unless you are able to install a microwave over the stove or some other place that actually makes sense, then just go with a countertop model.

Mine is a Whirlpool. I bought it specifically because I can turn off the turn-table; you can't put a 9x13 baking dish in a microwave oven that has a rotating turntable, KWIM? I don't need that feature very often, but I *wanted* it. :-)

Ellie,

My husband COULD install it and do it properly, but the cost on the remodel would be around $1,000 and that is not what I am looking to spend (we would need to take out the cabinets there, add a smaller cabinet or some sort of wood to hold the microwave). The microwave itself would run high as it would need to come with a fan under it and be specifically a model to go there.

DH has already told me he has too many other projects and won't tackle this one.

Dawn

Ellie,

My husband COULD install it and do it properly, but the cost on the remodel would be around $1,000 and that is not what I am looking to spend (we would need to take out the cabinets there, add a smaller cabinet or some sort of wood to hold the microwave). The microwave itself would run high as it would need to come with a fan under it and be specifically a model to go there.

DH has already told me he has too many other projects and won't tackle this one.

Dawn

Oh, that's way too much like work!

On the up side, microwave ovens are much smaller today than when they first came out 30 years ago. :001_smile:

The microwave that was original with the house lasted 20 years. I replaced it 4 years ago. That microwave quit working last summer, so I bought a different brand this time. I sure hope it lasts longer. I can't even remember what brands the old ones were.

My big requirements are that it has to have a timer that works even when the microwave is in use and that it has to have a turntable (but I think all of them have turntables nowadays).

Ours is 6 years old and came with the house. It's a GE and is mounted above the cooktop. There are a ridiculous number of features, but the only ones I use besides the normal full power/length of time are: turntable on/off, timer, defrost (ours has the option of amount of defrosting by amount of time or by weight, which I like), change power level, and the popcorn setting (which isn't necessary at all, I just use it because it's available).