Menu

Poll: Do you pay attention to "likes" on the WTM board?

Jean in Newcastle

Do you pay attention to "likes" in a thread?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pay attention to "likes" in a thread?

• As the OP, I do pay attention to "likes"
    • As the OP I do not pay attention to "likes"
    • As a reader I do pay attention to "likes"
    • As a reader I do not pay attention to "likes"
    • Bananas

I realize the person liked gets a notification and will know but I was wondering if the OP would even know if certain posts were popular and if anyone else noticed. I know that in the past I did notice if people would quote someone and said "I agree" and I was wondering if the like button really accomplished the same thing or not.

The poll allows multiple answers.

More importantly, we do NOT have a "thumbs down" button. Those are nasty and mean-spirited.

A message board is an artificial environment, and I do not see anybody here IRL, so ultimately the "likes" do not matter. Only in the "social groups" have I developed online friendly relationships with individuals -- relationships which occasionally blossom into "real life" communication with a new friend. That is why I greatly enjoy the social groups. I have gained insights into, and have learned profitable lessons from, some truly fine women!

I tend to pay attention to it, it's an easy way to see if a lot of people agree with that post or not. It's handy when I'm looking at a curriculum thread or something, if someone suggests something and that post gets a lot of likes, I'm a little more willing to look into it.

But it's really not a be all end all. It's a nice feature to have.

For me, the snub has been the occasional time over the years when I have posted a question and nobody ever answered. Still worse, when nobody even opened the post to read it!

Most of the time, people have been quite helpful and gracious!

I'm always so grateful when someone likes one of my posts. When I make several posts in a row that no one likes, I feel that what I'm writing doesn't matter to anyone.

I pay attention to them too. It's nice to have your posts "liked", but what's been more interesting to me is seeing who generally agrees with whom. I'm getting a better sense of how the members of this board are philosophically aligned, and I like that. I think the "likes" do a better job of creating a clear picture of that than the "quote & agree" posts. People who might not take the time to quote and agree just might take the time to hit "like".

Well I like to know if I'm not the only one on the planet (cuz TWTM board is like the whole planet right...) who thinks a certain way. Sometimes I feel like I'm kinda weird. So either I'm not as weird as I thought, or there are other weirdos out there. Either way, it's a little nice to know.

I thought you and I were co-prez of the weird club.

I suppose I just use like to tell the OP that I agree with what was written in the post I like. Sometimes it just seems redundant to write, I agree, unless I really have something to add. Although, even if I add something to someone's post I usually 'like' theirs and then add to it. I also like somethings to show that I read the response but I didn't have anything to add....that way the poster knows they were "heard" in a sense.....

So....basically for me it's my agree, amen, concur button! :)

More importantly, we do NOT have a "thumbs down" button. Those are nasty and mean-spirited.

A message board is an artificial environment, and I do not see anybody here IRL, so ultimately the "likes" do not matter. Only in the "social groups" have I developed online friendly relationships with individuals -- relationships which occasionally blossom into "real life" communication with a new friend. That is why I greatly enjoy the social groups. I have gained insights into, and have learned profitable lessons from, some truly fine women!

Yes, I'm glad that there isn't a thumbs down button.

I pay attention to them too. It's nice to have your posts "liked", but what's been more interesting to me is seeing who generally agrees with whom. I'm getting a better sense of how the members of this board are philosophically aligned, and I like that. I think the "likes" do a better job of creating a clear picture of that than the "quote & agree" posts. People who might not take the time to quote and agree just might take the time to hit "like".

I hadn't thought of that aspect of the like button. Interesting!

I voted bananas. I never know what to do with them. I sort of want to pack-rat them in case I've had a bad day and want to soothe my ego. But then they seem to pile up like papers and I end up deleting the whole raft of them at once. Which makes me feel bad to be throwing them away--ungrateful beast that I am!

So...bananas.

I think I often use them at the tail end of a back and forth. I guess I'm the type who needs to have the last word? But often if I'm late to a thread I won't bother restating what has already been well-said, so I just like the people who did the work for me ;)

I love the like.

I like to be liked, and I like to like.

I also find I have more time to go through liking stuff than to actually respond to what people say. It engenders laziness on my part because I can just keep reading until someone says what I was thinking. "Like." It's more subtle than quoting people and only posting, "WSS."

Haven't you all noticed that there are some formerly prolific posters who now have almost nothing to say but have instead become prolific likers? A bunch of graybeards in the Amen pew. Just nodding along.

I voted bananas. I never know what to do with them. I sort of want to pack-rat them in case I've had a bad day and want to soothe my ego. But then they seem to pile up like papers and I end up deleting the whole raft of them at once. Which makes me feel bad to be throwing them away--ungrateful beast that I am!

So...bananas.

I didn't realize they could be deleted. :blush:

Guest inoubliable

Yes. I need to know who's got my back!

Kidding.

No way. It scares me when too many of you agree with me! That's heavy - being a voice of reason.

Kidding.

Bananas.

I may have had more wine than I intended.

I pay attention but I don't know if I like it or not. Because...

I do pay attention, but I also think, at times, the old 'I agree' smiley made it easier.

I suspect that the like button is part of the reason the boards seem more ho-hum to me after the switch. I know we lost lots of people. I also know people would occasionally respond only with "I agree." However, many (most?) people responded with "I agree, and furthermore" type posts. Now it seems they are more likely to "like" and skip the furthermore. I miss the furthermore. I have noticed significantly fewer quoted posts. Lots of likes, not so many quoted posts. Honestly, I feel less like I am having conversations here, and that makes me sad.

I pay attention but I don't know if I like it or not. Because...

I suspect that the like button is part of the reason the boards seem more ho-hum to me after the switch. I know we lost lots of people. I also know people would occasionally respond only with "I agree." However, many (most?) people responded with "I agree, and furthermore" type posts. Now it seems they are more likely to "like" and skip the furthermore. I miss the furthermore. I have noticed significantly fewer quoted posts. Lots of likes, not so many quoted posts. Honestly, I feel less like I am having conversations here, and that makes me sad.

Interesting. I can see your point - hadn't looked at it that way.

Well I like to know if I'm not the only one on the planet (cuz TWTM board is like the whole planet right...) who thinks a certain way. Sometimes I feel like I'm kinda weird. So either I'm not as weird as I thought, or there are other weirdos out there. Either way, it's a little nice to know.

I've gotta say that I have often thought you and I would get along smashingly IRL. We seem to have a lot in common. We can be weirdos together, eh? I often feel I'm alone in my kinda wierd world. :coolgleamA:

:iagree:

I suppose I just use like to tell the OP that I agree with what was written in the post I like. Sometimes it just seems redundant to write, I agree, unless I really have something to add. Although, even if I add something to someone's post I usually 'like' theirs and then add to it. I also like somethings to show that I read the response but I didn't have anything to add....that way the poster knows they were "heard" in a sense.....

So....basically for me it's my agree, amen, concur button! :)

:iagree: *snicker* Sorry... couldn't help myself!

I like the likes! ...... And I am very grateful there is not a "thumbs down" button.

Oh, could you just imagine?! :svengo:

I love the like.

I like to be liked, and I like to like.

I also find I have more time to go through liking stuff than to actually respond to what people say. It engenders laziness on my part because I can just keep reading until someone says what I was thinking. "Like." It's more subtle than quoting people and only posting, "WSS."

Haven't you all noticed that there are some formerly prolific posters who now have almost nothing to say but have instead become prolific likers? A bunch of graybeards in the Amen pew. Just nodding along.

I agree with this. I haven't noticed the 'graybeards', however. (BTW I LOL'd at that!) I'll probably notice it now that you've mentioned it. :coolgleamA:

Hmm. I hadn't noticed that, either, but now that you mention it, you're right. Interesting.

Yep, that.

I voted that I notice, both as the OP and as a reader. I also voted bananas, because... well it just called out to me, somehow. ;)

Like Wendy (and others) said, it's nice to see who thinks like me, and who has the same quirks and ideas. I also find it interesting to see who agrees with one another... there are patterns. I like patterns.

And, like Tibbie, I like being liked... and like to like... it's just one big warm fuzzy party. Yeah. It's my bedtime... :D

How many likes can you give in a day? I'd like to like everyone here on this thread, but I'm afraid I'll use up all of my allotted likes for the day and then some people will think I don't like them, because they'll see that I liked everyone else but I didn't like them, and then they'll get mad about it and they won't like me any more.

And I wouldn't like it if people thought I didn't like them.

I had no idea that liking people could be so stressful.

I don't like it.

;) ;) ;) ;)