Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Granny_Weatherwax

My dd13’s troop camped last weekend at a local BSA camp that had a shooting range. Her troop  has done archery several times over the past few years but this time they were able to shoot rifles. One girl really loved it, my daughter didn’t and never wants to do it again, but at least she tried. They were the first in our Council to have the opportunity, so that was pretty cool.

My ds17 has his Eagle project paperwork signed now and is starting his fundraising. So that’s positive.

• Like 2

I have to give a big shout out for my DS. He led the flag ceremony for the grand opening of the new National Boy Scout museum at Philmont on Saturday His troop voted several weeks ago for him to do the speaking. They have been practicing for over a month, and it went perfectly. His post- puberty voice was so loud that he didn't use the microphone provided on the podium.  This is the same boy that refused to participate is skits in cub scouts unless he could be assured of a non-speaking part.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, City Mouse said:

I have to give a big shout out for my DS. He led the flag ceremony for the grand opening of the new National Boy Scout museum at Philmont on Saturday His troop voted several weeks ago for him to do the speaking. They have been practicing for over a month, and it went perfectly. His post- puberty voice was so loud that he didn't use the microphone provided on the podium.  This is the same boy that refused to participate is skits in cub scouts unless he could be assured of a non-speaking part.

Aww congrats to him (and you), good for him!

16 hours ago, SKL said:

Hi!  I had to get more involved than I originally expected right up front this year.  The main leader of my kid's PiPa group had a family situation that required me to jump right in.  A past leader helped out.  I guess it's for the best, as my usual inclination is to keep a low profile and thus miss stuff I might need to know later.

Our troop had its fall campout last week.  My youngest didn't go, but this is probably the last one she can skip if she expects to get her Stars & Stripes.  Eldest now has 5 of the 12 camping nights and has made progress on fire safety and outdoor cooking (I guess).

The PiPas haven't started their list of what they plan to work on this year, because so far it's been all about camping.  So far only the very youngest PiPas have been in attendance.  The Explorers have about 5 badges planned - I don't remember what they are.  Miss E already has more than enough badge work to get her level award - she might need a few volunteer hours and does need to plan and run an "Event."

The girls have been so busy every weekend since school started, we have done zero scout work at home.  I am hoping to get them ready to turn in for sports pins.  They should be able to get martial arts & volleyball and probably one could get running at this point.  The work done for that should be transferrable to a physical fitness badge for my eldest, I would think.

We made some progress on the family helper badge back in August, but we still have a ways to go on that one.

My youngest wants to try for the presidential service award.  Not sure if I can get my eldest to try.  I heard about some volunteer thing at the zoo - I will see if it is interesting to her.

That's how a lot of us start ? 

16 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

And Rendezvous is here! I camped out last night as I had SO much stuff already at the tipi. A couple of signs still to hang, and a few last minute things to do. When I see how many are registered tonight, I'll run to town for the s'mores stuff. I may have to get more black powder bullets, too. Dh was actually headed to go drive school bus when I pointed out that he can't park on school property with with rifles in the back of the truck! I picked up a flag at the church, and chatted with the FA lady. I decided to make her a few more cravats. But I'm making them out of bright yellow fabric--I'm getting tired of losing them. The DOW set up the archery stuff today. Let the games begin at 5:30!

Have fun this weekend!

Ds finished up the last badge he needs for his Eagle and has I believe a couple of palms to boot. The only thing ds likes is his Eagle project, he has an idea, he just has to fill out all the paperwork and take it to the committee. Honestly, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Perhaps he can work on it on fall break, or Christmas break if that doesn't work. There is no real hurry (he just turned 14), he loves Scouts, he'll just end up with more badges. I was a little upset, ds was ASPL last term, however as the SPL was frequently gone for band and didn't attend summer camp due to NYLT ds acted as the SPL quite often. He did a stellar job. He went for SPL this term and didn't get it, dh said that he was acting kind of goofy when he did his speech, ds tends to fidget horribly when he gets nervous ? He doesn't seem all that upset but my feelings were hurt. It seems somewhat a popularity contests, iit's not always the kids that really deserve positions that get them. Ds has put 110% into Scouts and the only meeting I recall him missing is the day after his grandpa died. Sigh.... Anyway, ds is not some pariah or anything, he's made great friends with Scouts and is generally well-liked, just not popular.

A couple of weekends ago dh and ds were inducted into the OA Brotherhood.

Our AHG Troop year has begun, we are camping in 2 weeks. My Explorers have finished Native American badge so far and next week we are starting Cake Decorating, my older girls have already done it(2 yrs ago) but my younger ones haven't since my older ones have more than enough badges I told them we could do it again. 

The following weekend I am helping Ds and the SM lead ds' Troop through the Challenge Course (we did training in May). I renewed my CPR and First Aid training and they got theirs. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Our troop had its September camp out last weekend. We had around 10 Scouts and another 6 Webelos present. The Scouts were working on the Railroading MB and the Webelos working that into one of the NOVA awards. So on Saturday we all got up at 6:30 for breakfast and then drove an hour down to a scenic railroad an alumni of ours works on.We toured the yard and rode on the train and the Scouts of all ages got to ride for a couple of miles in the engine. It was super cool. Timing was quirky. The train was limited to 10mph since there was a derailed rock train on that section of track. So we were training it up from 8:30-2:00. Lunch was late. After lunch the Cubs and Scouts worked on sawing and lashing some trestles and having races, a standard NYLT demo activity. That was well received but unfortunately two of the teams collided during the race and a few kids were injured. "Luckily" two were mine, Scout DS12 had a superficial,though very painful, abrasion and Webelos DS10 has deep muscle bruise that made it painful to flex his ankle for a few hours, by evening both were fine. Unfortunately, another new scout got mild MCL tear in the crash.

After getting back on Sunday around noon, there was an Eagle Court of Honor on Sunday at 5pm. So after showers, meals, naps, etc we reconvened at the church. This had a great turn out.The ceremony has a role for each scout to light or attempt to light a candle for that rank. The injured new scout was there post-MRI in a brace and got to light the "Scout" candle, looking pleased as punch. DS12 lit the "Second Class" candle.

Interestingly, this explained many things. I assumed DS12 didn't earn Second Class at camp JUST because he didn't track his book and manage things himself. But after the CoH it was clear the troop had overlooked he wasn't Second Class(Our troop issues rank lanyards at camp and doesn't issue badges until troop CoHs; this is unusual but traditional going back to the '40s). After DS12 pointed this out and referred to his book, with no prompting from us!!!, the troop slotted him in for  a SMC and board of review tonight so he will get Second Class as well as his summer camp badges(swimming,cooking,basketry) at the troop CoH next week.

On other notes, this was a wildlife rich campout. Our troop has its own camp in northern WI on a national wild and scenic river. As usual we saw plenty of dear, turkeys, red tail hawks, turkey vultures, raccoons, and bald eagles. Less commonly we also saw a 2-3yo black bear and a mature wolf. We know the northern WI wolf pack roams this far south since we hear them, as clearly differentiated from the coyotes, and see prints including last November when we saw clear wolf prints in 3in of snow of them stalking a flock of turkeys. For both bears and wolves, the cause was bear hunting season in WI, which allows both baiting and hunting with dogs. Luckily our SPL and our extremely hunting friendly, like hunting grouse which are also in season last weekend and hunting everything that isn't baited... think Leopoldian Land Ethic, ASPL could explain this without any adult interpretation.

Next weekend, DW and I are running  a day hiking and cooking activity for the Cub Pack. Then a free week. And then DW is directing a free stage race for our regional trail running group which she is VP off and  I'll either be working at our Cub-o-ree of the scout  Camporee depending on which is more desperate.

• Like 2

We joined a few weeks ago, with DD8 as a Bear Cub and DS6 as a lion. Tonight DD received her Wittlin' chip and bobcat badge and her bear claw belt loop. She is LOVING it, after not so great experiences with Girl Scouts (nothing ever got done) and American Heritage Girls (local drama, plus only doing "girly" badges). To be working on knife skills the first week was heaven for her!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

We joined a few weeks ago, with DD8 as a Bear Cub and DS6 as a lion. Tonight DD received her Wittlin' chip and bobcat badge and her bear claw belt loop. She is LOVING it, after not so great experiences with Girl Scouts (nothing ever got done) and American Heritage Girls (local drama, plus only doing "girly" badges). To be working on knife skills the first week was heaven for her!

I'm glad your daughter is enjoying cub scouts.  I'm told BSA opens for girls of my kids' age in February, but I don't know if I want to make a change at this point.  I wish it had been open to girls when my kids were younger.  That said, luckily, our AHG troop does a good mix of things including plenty of outdoor badges.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I'm glad your daughter is enjoying cub scouts.  I'm told BSA opens for girls of my kids' age in February, but I don't know if I want to make a change at this point.  I wish it had been open to girls when my kids were younger.  That said, luckily, our AHG troop does a good mix of things including plenty of outdoor badges.

I will say I did like AHG as an organization, but at our local level there were a lot of issues. It turned into fashion and cooking rather than anything else, and then there were the leaders caught making racist comments, etc.....the troop actually dissolved. Plus being able to go to one place on one night for both DD8 and DS9 is awfully convenient, lol. 

The level of organization compared to Girl Scouts is unbelievable. And yes, I know some GS Troops are amazing. Unfortunately our experience was not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I will say I did like AHG as an organization, but at our local level there were a lot of issues. It turned into fashion and cooking rather than anything else, and then there were the leaders caught making racist comments, etc.....the troop actually dissolved. Plus being able to go to one place on one night for both DD8 and DS9 is awfully convenient, lol. 

The level of organization compared to Girl Scouts is unbelievable. And yes, I know some GS Troops are amazing. Unfortunately our experience was not. 

Glad you found a good fit. 

I've not had any affiliation with GSA since I was in elementary but find BSA far more preferable to AHG. BSA has great training, websites that actually make sense, troop organization that works, and far less red tape. I really considered going over to a Cub Scout Pack for the girls but in the end we didn't want to leave our friends and they didn't have all that many girls yet. 

Now, I'm trying to decide if I should try to start a Troop for girls when they roll it out for girls, dd1 will be old enough. As it is we're wondering if we'll continue our AHG Troop next year, we've tried multiple times and ways to recruit girls but haven't had much luck. With BSA allowing girls it will not be any help at all. IDK, we'll see.

28 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

It still feels funny to see "dd earned her Whittlin' Chip"! I do a double take at Cubs with braids! So far, we don't have any girls in our Pack, but it's early days yet. We're in the process of moving our Crew to our town, rather than 65 miles away. It's my last WB ticket. 

Yup, everyone is adjusting. The leaders still catch themselves saying "boys" and "sons". And the shirt still says "Boy Scouts" on it, which I imagine will eventually change. But the funniest part was when we were at the scout shop getting a uniform for her - she had to try on every single combination of shorts/pants/skort/shirt possible before deciding. The man at the store couldn't stop chuckling - seems with the boys that wasn't quite how things went, lol. He said they hardly ever even used the dressing room, if it looked like it might fit the boys were happy with whatever they were handed. 

• Haha 1

Our AHG troop had family camp last weekend. One of our Explorers M/C'd campfire....I think she learned from her brother who's a long-time Boy Scout, but she did a great job! I have such sympathy for the mom whose husband is deployed w/NOAA and who was camping with a toddler, preschooler, and 2nd grader, but she made it through. Sure took home a dirty little boy, though! Hiked to a historic grist mill and got a tour, which was lots of fun.

I am explorer leader this year and have the biggest unit, but sadly my youngest has decided to drop AHG. Well, she's taking 8 credits this year in high school, including an online class and a community college class, but I miss her on troop nights and she was our troop's oldest and looked up to by all the girls. She came along to Family Camp, though, and all the youngers were so happy to see her. Sniff, sniff.

Working on Kid Care (booboo bunnies were such a hit we're going to put them in our christmas gift boxes) and have a Heimlich dummy we'll be practicing with soon. And just started horsemanship, attending a local show in a couple of weeks and trying to arrange a lesson and a tour of a local horse rescue with grooming demonstration.

• Like 2

An acquaintance of mine who is a 2nd grade teacher says "all the girls" in her class have joined "boy scouts."  I don't think she actually means "all" the girls, and I am sure she means cub scouts, but you get the point.  Apparently they are heavily recruiting girls around here.

I feel like a traitor thinking about BSA when I'm volunteering with AHG.  But ....

• Like 1

I am now the proud mother of an Eagle Scout. BOR last night. Project was both very cool and very sad - building and installing emergency door stops and grated window screens and preparing shelter-in-place buckets for 17 classrooms at a local church's preschool/kindergarten. The principal said prospective parents who toured the school were asking about measures to protect against intruders. Isn't it sad that this is what parents have to worry about rather than whether the rooms are bright and cheerful?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, linders said:

I am now the proud mother of an Eagle Scout. BOR last night. Project was both very cool and very sad - building and installing emergency door stops and grated window screens and preparing shelter-in-place buckets for 17 classrooms at a local church's preschool/kindergarten. The principal said prospective parents who toured the school were asking about measures to protect against intruders. Isn't it sad that this is what parents have to worry about rather than whether the rooms are bright and cheerful?

Congratulations to your son!

7 hours ago, SKL said:

An acquaintance of mine who is a 2nd grade teacher says "all the girls" in her class have joined "boy scouts."  I don't think she actually means "all" the girls, and I am sure she means cub scouts, but you get the point.  Apparently they are heavily recruiting girls around here.

I feel like a traitor thinking about BSA when I'm volunteering with AHG.  But ....

LOL, we were a Boy Scout family before AHG so I've always been in both.We started our AHG Troop the year after ds started Cub Scouts, the kids are 2 years apart but at that point AHG started a year earlier. 

15 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

Our AHG troop had family camp last weekend. One of our Explorers M/C'd campfire....I think she learned from her brother who's a long-time Boy Scout, but she did a great job! I have such sympathy for the mom whose husband is deployed w/NOAA and who was camping with a toddler, preschooler, and 2nd grader, but she made it through. Sure took home a dirty little boy, though! Hiked to a historic grist mill and got a tour, which was lots of fun.

I am explorer leader this year and have the biggest unit, but sadly my youngest has decided to drop AHG. Well, she's taking 8 credits this year in high school, including an online class and a community college class, but I miss her on troop nights and she was our troop's oldest and looked up to by all the girls. She came along to Family Camp, though, and all the youngers were so happy to see her. Sniff, sniff.

Working on Kid Care (booboo bunnies were such a hit we're going to put them in our christmas gift boxes) and have a Heimlich dummy we'll be practicing with soon. And just started horsemanship, attending a local show in a couple of weeks and trying to arrange a lesson and a tour of a local horse rescue with grooming demonstration.

I bet that is hard and I'm impressed you are still leading with your daughter gone, it is a lot of work.

Katie was saying they just did fashion and cooking, my girls did these badges last year, BUT we are Explorer level and they pick the badges at this level. As I mentioned we are doing Cake Decorating next, their choice. My girls have no problem camping and roughing it but they like the crafty badges. 

2 hours ago, soror said:

Katie was saying they just did fashion and cooking, my girls did these badges last year, BUT we are Explorer level and they pick the badges at this level. As I mentioned we are doing Cake Decorating next, their choice. My girls have no problem camping and roughing it but they like the crafty badges. 

All of our Tenderhearts REALLY want to do the cooking badge. The problem is -- they want to make actual food (not just sandwiches, but cookies and treats) and,at the Tenderheart level, "Cooking" is more like a Nutrition badge. The Explorer level has more of the things the Tenderhearts want to actually do.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

All of our Tenderhearts REALLY want to do the cooking badge. The problem is -- they want to make actual food (not just sandwiches, but cookies and treats) and,at the Tenderheart level, "Cooking" is more like a Nutrition badge. The Explorer level has more of the things the Tenderhearts want to actually do.

I know some of their age restrictions are utterly ridiculous. My Explorers will actually be doing some of the Pi/Pa requirements. We have just 1 Explorer who crossed over last year so she is hanging out with our Explorers so I'm making sure we meet her requirements too, some stuff she'll just do on her own, some we'll just all do. 

I don't think our Tenderhearts have ever done cooking, the last leader was not very good at hands-on learning and the ones before were a couple of dads (who were wonderful leaders but not comfortable in the kitchen). 

• 1 month later...

My son scheduled his Eagle Project work day for next Saturday. We may survive this and he may actually earn it. There has been a series of annoying events and miscommunications over the past few months and he has a month in which to finish everything. But he’s getting there and now knows how tenacious you have to be to get something accomplished. Please cross your fingers that everything goes smoothly and if you’re in the area next weekend, let me know. He’ll put you to work! ?

• Like 1

I love this thread.  I might need to drop out eventually, but I'm still kicking for now.

Tonight my kids are supposed to do the flag ceremony, and my eldest (1st year Pi/Pa) is supposed to come with some work completed on her Government badge as well as ideas for future badge work.  Honestly, my kid is not that into it and I have had zero time to sit her down and discuss it.  They started talking about Our Flag, but it seems the other family involved decided to let that drop.  I think it makes sense to continue it, but the ideas are supposed to be coming from the girls at this point.

Eldest did the campout in September and has done some work toward the camping, outdoor skills, and fire building / fire safety badges.

I think this year, for the Pi/Pas, it is realistic to finish at least the government, flag, and fire building / fire safety badges during the school year.  Individually, we might be able to finish the creative writing and household helper badges.  (I might be butchering the badge names.)  We could do more during the summer, but I have told my kids that I'm giving them the option to quit after this year.  School-related activities are taking up so much more time and the girls don't consider scouts a favorite activity.  I would still like to leave the option open to return to it later if they want to.  So I want them to get badges done when it isn't too difficult.

My youngest already finished the majority of the requirements to get her Explorer level award, but she needs to come up with an event to lead this year.  She also wants me to sign her up again for the pen pal program, since she likes getting the patch.

This weekend, we plan to participate in the OCC packing party.  I bought a bunch of stuff to include in the boxes, because last time we did this, we ended up with a lot of lame boxes at the end.

Next Friday there is a lock-in, but we will have to arrive late and leave early due to other commitments.  Not sure what our role will be.  I guess we'll find out tonight.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SKL said:

This weekend, we plan to participate in the OCC packing party.  I bought a bunch of stuff to include in the boxes, because last time we did this, we ended up with a lot of lame boxes at the end.

Our OCC packing party is this Friday night! Since no Explorer wanted to lead it, I am!  I am both excited and scared!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

Our OCC packing party is this Friday night! Since no Explorer wanted to lead it, I am!  I am both excited and scared!

My dd is leading the OCC packing for our troop tonight, and calling out badges earned by a younger unit during the Joining Badge Ceremony!

When tonight is over, she only has one Heritage badge and a BOR left for her Pioneer level award. 

This weekend we walk in the Veterans Day parade in the town (a bedroom community of our City) where our troop meets. Very fun!  Hoping for good weather. 

Our PiPas are working on The 7 C's of History,  Hiking, and Bible Basics, but haven't finished anything yet. 

SKL, we need to do Fire Safety/building too!

I discovered at the Trail Life Joining Award Ceremony Monday that we somehow managed to buy the wrong Trail Life uniform for our son. NO WONDER he looks different from everyone else in the pictures.  There were two uniforms to choose from. (and together they were too expensive. Even just one was pretty expensive) I thought we were getting the "day to day/put awards" on one and was putting off getting the other until another year. But evidently we got the fancy Trail Life-branded one and missed the "day to day" put on awards one.  And I wish that someone had questioned us on what we chose or recommended what a new member needed because obvously now we need to buy a second uniform this year.

• Sad 2

My odd has finished her Gold Award and gone before the committee and had it approved and finalized! She is now working on a film that they are going to put on a website aimed at getting more girls to go for the Gold Award. She will make a film that will introduce her film that she made about her project. They are working on getting that set up on the council's end. She is now working actively on her Photography badge, is part way through her Ambassador Girl Scout Way badge. She can't do the next step until World Thinking Day, but she has talked to our Service Unit at their last monthly meeting about being involved in the planning stage for our unit's event for younger girls to work on that step.  She wants to work on the College Knowledge new badge as it is all stuff we need to do anyway. 

Mdd has to do a journey (which I hate and think are so dumb, but are required,) before she can begin Gold. She is doing the Sow What journey with her troop mates. They are touring the local Farmer's Market soon. There is a guest speaker that day that they will get to interview and will tour with the director to learn about issues in agriculture I guess. (I have trouble understanding exactly what they are supposed to be getting from these silly journeys.) Beyond that they will then do a service/take action project in the field of farming. They are also working on the Bedroom Redecorating badge. That is a lot more straightforward and fun than the journey. So far they have made their inspiration boards, done a painting project, and sewed a pillow on a machine. She is partway through her Senior Scout Girl Scout Way badge as well. I haven't looked at it lately to see what steps they have left, but I remember thinking it was going to have to wait until next semester. 

As a troop we just attended a fall Multi Level troop campout that was fun and spent a day raking leaves at my church where we meet. After Christmas we will be starting cookies and finishing up the badges and journeys for the year, and also plan to get everyone's Safety Pins done before the end of the year and hopefully the Ambassador's First Aid badge and one more troop camp out. 

• Like 4

Trinqueta passed her Mate test for Mariners. Yeah!!! It's really hard (6 rectangles, 6 moorings, 6 man overboards) and usually takes 2 or 3 tries. She passed on her second.

She's currently the Purser for her Sea Scout Ship and they've just placed the order for this year's fundraiser. She had to research the various Christmas wreath companies and make a recommendation. She also manned the table at our sponsoring organization. Now we just need to deliver the wreaths and we've got $400 to repair our small boats.

She also says she's going to start working on the Ordinary reqs on her own to see if she can do it in one year instead of two at Sea Scout Academy. We'll see if she follows through.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

So, are there two of the troop uniform?

Yes. The Trail/Meeting Polo (this is what we got. Though on the form we were filling it out it was called a Meeting Uniform -- mind NO ONE except adults wears it to meetings): https://traillifeusa.configio.com/pd/340/navigators-6535-travelmeeting-polo?source=search&cid=388

And the "Troop Uniform" (Which our form called the formal uniform. I figured we wouldn't be doing any formal events...): https://traillifeusa.configio.com/pd/477/troop-uniform-shirt?source=search&cid=385

(if there had been pictures it would have been somewhat obvious what to get. Or if they would have called one Class A -- like they do when telling you what to wear. I'm familiar with that terminology from AHG)

Edited by vonfirmath

1 hour ago, Margaret in CO said:

Arg! That's annoying! Our troop calls them Class A and Class B--khaki shirt and t-shirt. Technically, Class A is the field uniform, and Class B, the activity uniform. I don't think ANYONE calls them that! Our troop also has Class A+, which means sashes and medals if Eagle. Out district chair calls it, "Wear all the doodads!"

TL Troop Uniforms are exceptionally ugly!

Evidently in AHG, the "Class B" is actually supposed to be the AHG T-shirt.

But our troop has a T-shirt and that is what we mean when we say Class B

Trail Life has a T-shirt as well. We've got that too. So I'm not exactly sure when a kid is supposed to wear this polo now.  Well... no one has called us out on him wearing it when "Class A" was called for so I guess we'll continue to wear that for now.

One nice thing is that Trail Life wears that same uniform for the entire time -- just buying a larger size as they need it. And very little sewing. (And in groups? They look very nice in their uniform shirts.) They've got their awards designed to move from uniform to uniform.  Sewing on the Webelos uniform multiple badges was a huge pain (Though thankfully mostly one night)

And for AHG, you try to guess your girl's size at the end of the age range because there are too many patches and badges to even THINK about moving them from uniform to uniform

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

I like it when the Webs go to a khaki shirt when they earn Webs, so then they have it for the troop. We always say to not buy long sleeves. The short sleeved, with a shirt underneath, can be worn far longer. Something to share--learned this when my brother was a CS. If you take a crayon and rub it over the line caused by letting trousers down, and then iron it with a piece of paper, it will cover up the line pretty well. Cornflower blue is the color for CS trousers!

Funny about moving patches. I bought ds a small sash, as he was tiny. He sewed on over 60 mbs. So, we needed a bigger sash. He sewed on 60 patches and we passed on the sash to a smaller boy. Then he decided to earn ALL the mbs, but I told him that I'd sew them on after 65. So, I did, only when I went to add to the sash, they'd changed the color! So, I got TWO new sashes, sewed them together, and sewed on 135 mb patches! 

Theo joined at Webelos and I just bought him the Khaki shirt. But with all the sewing, I can't imagine it being easy to pass down.

5 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

That looks like it might have been a page from the book?  I'll have to take a look. It's a very helpful overview!  I think the thing we got last night was his Navigators Rank. Which of course there is no way to put it on the "uniform" we actually have... They did let him be in the Honor Guard for the flag in this uniform and asked him to carry a flag for the next meeting because he did a good job.

Note: I ordered the book at the same time as the uniform -- at the same time we were paying yearly dues, sign up fees, etc.

Edited by vonfirmath

Our AHG troop uses the official AHG Class B for some events, but mostly we wear our troop Class B, because they are softer and more comfortable. Helpful too at Camporee, to find our girls amidst the sea of red and blue shirts. Our troop shirts are a different color. And less expensive! I have found that her class A get lots of attention in public because people don't recognize the uniform and often ask. They know it is scouting of some kind, but the red, white and blue isn't familiar. Dd is already running out of room on the back of her sash. Space for service stars will be tight after another year or two. 

Our AHG dues are $75, I think. Does not cover camping costs or badges earned outside troop time. No individual accts in AHG.

I thought I'd bought Ds' Webelos shirt plenty big, but it will be tight by the spring! No how will he be able to wear it after he crosses over. Since it has become clear that the shirt won't get used after May, I have abandoned sewing for badge magic. He is getting sewing lessons this spring because I am not doing his uniform when he moves up. Hand sewing patches and badges is work!!  

Pack dues are $75, almost none of which stays with the pack. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Margaret in CO said:

What are dues for TL? Here, the troop is $150 a year now, as $33 goes to National, $50!!!! to Council, and the rest to the troop. The boys then have to pay camp fees, camping fees, etc. in addition to that. We don't have troop tents, so the boys need one of their own. They can get by for a year with no tent, by doubling up, but there comes a time that they need their own tent, and with our weather, a WM one won't suffice. Same way with a sleeping bag. We camp at -20, so a WM bag isn't going to cut it. 

$26 registration

$20 PRogram Support

$60 Troop Dues

$45 Fundraiser buyout (or sell enough at FUndraiser that the troop gets at least $45)

Our AHG troop dues covers 4 badges earned. They ask us to pay $2 each (I think?) for each badge over 4 earned over the year. The religious badge book is $5. And events, campouts, etc are extra (For camping, there is a per family fee, plus a food fee to cover your share of the food that is per person, with a cap per family)

Trail Life also has extra costs for activities. 

They just did ifly so had a cost for that ($35 if I remember right?) The campout at NASA is something like $50 or $60 a person (Which is why just my son and husband are doing it. Not my daughter and I).  My son got a tent for Christmas his first year in Boy Scouts -- though turns out it is not big enough for the family so we need to do something else if all 4 of us want to go at once. We've worked around it so far.

The older girls in AHG did the NASA thing last year but Tenderhearts were not invited. The Zoo overnight we did instead was very affordable.

Edited by vonfirmath

DS17 had his Eagle Project work day today. They had enough volunteers that those not needed to place the signs spent time cleaning the trail. They found several engine blocks so we told DS15 (16 on Wednesday) that he should keep cleaning and maybe he'll find enough to make a car. Things went really well and the recipient is pleased. He then spent a good portion of the afternoon on the paperwork and smiling. It was a good day. I've attached a picture of one of the signs--the numbers are tied to a location that 911 and the Rangers have. Hopefully people will be safer after today. IMG_5468.thumb.JPG.a53f1dbeb0c80725cb127a8668bf9d93.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My son has just officially become a youth Scouter!  (There are various courses and training, as well as hoops to jump through, to become a scouter, and a youth scouter must do all of them the same as an adult scouter.)  I am very proud.  He works with the Beavers (ages 5-7).  He now counts as an adult for the child:adult ratio instead of a child, as well as has the privaleges and responsibilies of an adult scouter.

20190110_202535.jpg

Edited by scoutingmom
Added picture
  • Like 5

My Dd (AHG Pioneer) is working on the Citzenship and Gov't. badge. Last requirement for her Harriet Tubman level award except her actual BoR in April. 

Turned in 18 more service hrs for her tonight, so she only needs a few more to earn the Presidential Gold thus year. 

Ds (CS Web2) is working on Adventures in Science elective. Planning to build and launch a rocket Saturday. He's also working his Pinewood Derby car. He and Dh need to go to Hobby Lobby for paint and possibly a weight. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

We had to skip the pinewood derby which was today.  There was realistically no chance to work on the cars, plus the kids just didn't want to go.  We are still recovering from jetlag after arriving home from our travels on Tuesday morning.

My youngest has lots of service hours and more than enough badges for the level award, but it's getting scary thinking about her "event" that she has to put on.  She wants to do something purely fun, but I believe they will want it to be a service project.  Her progress on it so far is zero.

My eldest is working on the flag and citizenship badges.  I could push her to finish others, but I am not even half-hearted about it at this point.  Honestly I don't feel like anyone else at the PiPa level is either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SKL said:

My youngest has lots of service hours and more than enough badges for the level award, but it's getting scary thinking about her "event" that she has to put on.  She wants to do something purely fun, but I believe they will want it to be a service project.  Her progress on it so far is zero.

My eldest is working on the flag and citizenship badges.  I could push her to finish others, but I am not even half-hearted about it at this point.  Honestly I don't feel like anyone else at the PiPa level is either.

SKL, your Explorer should just have to assist a PiPa with an event, not plan a whole one by herself! The requirement is only 2 hours. Our Explorers choose which things they want to do when the older girls schedule out their events with the leadership team. Each of our PiPas has a couple of Explorers helping. Your troop leadership should understand this and be proactive in making it happen. 

Makes me sad that your PiPas are not excited! Our group is not large, but they do have lots of fun together and enjoy their activities. So much freedom and potential at the middle and high school level! I love seeing them set their own direction! Our PiPa girls don't love the Heritage badges, so they are having a sleepover to work intensely on one and get it done so they can focus on hiking and camping in the spring! 

1 minute ago, ScoutTN said:

SKL, your Explorer should just have to assist a PiPa with an event, not plan a whole one by herself! The requirement is only 2 hours. Our Explorers choose which things they want to do when the older girls schedule out their events with the leadership team. Each of our PiPas has a couple of Explorers helping. Your troop leadership should understand this and be proactive in making it happen. 

Makes me sad that your PiPas are not excited! Our group is not large, but they do have lots of fun together and enjoy their activities. So much freedom and potential at the middle and high school level! I love seeing them set their own direction! Our PiPa girls don't love the Heritage badges, so they are having a sleepover to work intensely on one and get it done so they can focus on hiking and camping in the spring!

The troop has had a couple opportunities for the Explorers to "help" with an event, but we did not make it to those events.  We were late to one (my fault), we travel over "family night," and we don't come to the father-daughter stuff (no dad).

I think I should just talk my kid into doing similar to what her sister did last year - piggyback on a bigger community service event if possible.

Or maybe there is some way to get my older kid to run an event as a PiPa and have the younger help as an Explorer ... not sure if that is a realistic option rules-wise.  It would be good to fulfill some longer-term PiPa requirements in case the girls decide to continue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

This is much different than what our troop does. Our Explorers run their own events (with the help of the adults)

Last year, they ran the OCC project, the HAlloween trick or treat for special needs kids, the Christmas day parade and a spa day for the Tenderhearts.  (And a trash pickup day at the ball fields)

This year, so far they have run the Halloween trick or treat and the Christmas day parade.  We have two Pi/Pas doing the daddy-daughter dance together (I only know this because ther e was a discussion as to whether there was enough work for two to share it. They want to work together)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

This is much different than what our troop does. Our Explorers run their own events (with the help of the adults)

Last year, they ran the OCC project, the HAlloween trick or treat for special needs kids, the Christmas day parade and a spa day for the Tenderhearts.  (And a trash pickup day at the ball fields)

This year, so far they have run the Halloween trick or treat and the Christmas day parade.  We have two Pi/Pas doing the daddy-daughter dance together (I only know this because ther e was a discussion as to whether there was enough work for two to share it. They want to work together)

That is super!! But not actually required for the level award. They will be ahead of the game when they get to the older levels. Many 6th graders would not be ready to plan and lead an event by themselves, even with some adult scaffolding. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We finally made it to a meeting - the first one since November.  We have two 12yo Pioneers who are usually there (my kid and the main leader's kid), and beyond that we occasionally get one or rarely two Patriots.  The Patriots have already finished what the Pioneers are currently working on, and as for our Pioneers, it's like pulling teeth to get either of them to take initiative.  So meetings are awkward.  What should we do to help make them relevant to all the PiPas?

Half of me wants to force my kid to use an upcoming snow day to buckle down and get a pile of badge work done.  The other half says, "that would be overstepping at this level.  Not allowed."  Which half is right?

I think the main unit leader feels about the same way I feel.

4 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Our troop went dog sledding today! We really do live in Scout paradise. I'll post this photo as you can't see the Scouts' faces. Each Scout got to ride and pilot the sleds. They learned to harness the dogs, and learned about the different breeds. They also watered all the dogs. They are excited to go back, and have been invited. 

DSC_0730.JPG

This is so cool!

DD17 finished her Sunmit Award for Venture Scouts!  

I hope these pictures come out ok. One is her “official” photo for the district recognition banquet. The other is from inside her Quinzie - she and DH were winter camping with his scout troop last weekend. 

FBEF4BF1-061B-4446-9BE7-34776A6726A8.jpeg

F807E198-D961-4C4A-8A3F-2673F5193F82.jpegNext up - court of honor for Summit and working in her Ranger award. And being on stafff at the World Janboree this summer. Busy Girl!

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 5