Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Granny_Weatherwax

I have a question for BSA adults. My son joined his troop about a year ago and was well received. The troop was everything he wanted--active, boy-led and with a strong group of adults guiding them. It seemed like a dream and he was actually voted SPL less than six months later. Right around that time the Scoutmaster left to run the Venture Crew that had just started and a new Scoutmaster took over. Really, really nice guy but somewhere in there a lot of the discipline in the troop just got lost. My ds did what he could but with the new boys coming up there were a lot of younger boys and hardly any older Scouts and things just were out of control.

My ds is no longer SPL and just doesn't want to go because it's so chaotic. He's going to join the Venture Crew but feels like he's abandoning this troop that took him in and really embraced him. I know that there are a lot of things going on with the troop--lots of little kids, new leadership, very few older boys. I am on the Troop Committee as the Secretary but I don't know if that's something to bring up at a committee meeting. None of the newer Scout parents have been willing to volunteer either. They seem happy to wait in the halls for their kids to finish.

I guess I'm asking, what, if anything I can or should do. There is one female Assistant Scoutmaster, but while I might like the idea of that, I can't commit to it. Thanks.

Just wanted to update that ds is making strides with swimming and should pass by the end of the year if not the end of the summer!  He's working really hard and there are a few nice lifeguard guys at the Y who have been encouraging and given him some tips.  I'm actually really enjoying teaching him and getting some one-on-one time, honestly!  Glad he's not "too old" to hang out with his mom; he said he wants ME to teach him and not take classes with someone else.  I think we got this!  Thanks, ladies!

• Like 2

We're getting ready for a new year in AHG. :) All the girls met this week and decided on things they want to do as a troop this year - special events, badgework, service opportunities, etc. My dd will be in her 2nd year as an Explorer. She's been in AHG since Pathfinder and it's the one "extra" thing that we could never give up; both of us love it.

Apparently we're doing nothing this summer. Older DS is a Weblos/AoL so I figure its his deal.

He is doing rec center archery and tumbling and going to real fencing camp later this summer. We're doing a 2 mile race on the 4th and a 5k towards the end of the summer. This all seems perfect for knocking out "Stronger Faster Higher"... but he doesn't want to document it...

Likewise we are doing lots of nature stuff and hiking... the other night at dinner we had a long discussion about how the Cub Scout "Six Essentials" is naive at best and talked about both the classic 10 essentials and the functional 10 essentials.

He really likes cooking out so we'll do that and probably make a solar oven though I doubt he'll document any of it <shrug>.

He is old for grade,has an early September birthday and is probably going to be de facto grade skipped at some point... so 18mos-2y for Webelos/Aol is contraindicated. He can move up to Boy Scouts ~14mos from now so we'll have to see how that goes. Last year he was really gung ho to sign stuff off so I assume he'll get into it again... frankly the low bar cub scout requirements seem to be sapping motivation so I want him to move along.

Edited by raptor_dad

Ds is going to scout camp and will be doing a lot of conservation related badges. Later in the summer, he will do NYLT. And hopefully do some MB at home.

Dd will go to GS camp for two weeks of canoeing and two weeks of backpacking. Each session has a four night overnight trip.

Youngest just returned from camp with his former troop.  Then Tuesday he joined the new troop!  

We are more excited than he is.  New Troop is 6 minutes away and gets out on time!  

• 4 weeks later...

DD get home from AHG camp tonight late.

She has completed Zoology, Marine and Freshwater Biology, Pen and Paper Arts, All God's Children and Where in the World.

Also this summer, the PRAY award for God and Family. Poorly written Bible curriculum (huge understatement) , but I taught,  so was able to rewrite the lessons. 

Lots of service hours too. 

DD went to GS camp for a week and had a blast (and earned a badge.) The old program's Brownie try-its are still "official" even if they're not available, so we've been working on some this summer. She did Art to Wear and Going Camping and now we're working on Love to Read. We'll be doing Space Explorer and Scrapbooking with a friend. Then regular troop meetings will pick up in September and we probably won't work on ours again until next summer.

My dd10 just got back today from GS camp called Spirit of Katniss. She hasn't read the books yet but the description sounded fun, especially since they did archery every day. She had a blast! They slept out under the stars one night and did the high ropes course--she's getting to see some of the benefits of being a Cadette and one of the older girls.

DD8 went to day camp and had a good time. No badges though--"girl led" and they decided they didn't want to do any. It's okay but I'd rather that they channel their activities toward a badge or two.

My ds's are still at camp. DS13 is out in the desert where it's been 115-118 all week. I'm comforting myself with the idea that they would have called if there was a problem and he's doing relatively low-key badges. DS15 gets back from Philmont on 8/6--he'll have been gone for two weeks. Itms hard not getting any info, but again I'm going with the "no news is good news."

DD went to GS camp for a week and had a blast (and earned a badge.) The old program's Brownie try-its are still "official" even if they're not available, so we've been working on some this summer. She did Art to Wear and Going Camping and now we're working on Love to Read. We'll be doing Space Explorer and Scrapbooking with a friend. Then regular troop meetings will pick up in September and we probably won't work on ours again until next summer.

My Brownie did the Art to Wear and it was so fun! We have Space Explorer to do and a few others. She's finished 6 or 7 of the old Try Its and we've both enjoyed them. I'm trying now to get sets of the Junior badges and old IPs so we can be prepared for the future. I keep hearing rumors that the program will be revamped in the next couple of years--I hope they bring back a lot of the older badges.

Girl Scout folks - a wwyd question for y'all. 

DD is nearly 10 & going into 5th, but has ASD and some other issues. Up until now she's done scouting here and there as an at home thing - we just registered as a lone scout and then pretty much did our own thing and ignored the council. Once in a while we go to a scouting related event if I can find one that works for us. I held her in brownies an extra year to allow her to mature since she is young for grade. So this fall she would be moving up to Juniors. 

We were talking with another scout mom here, who also is coordinating troops in our area. She offered to find a troop for my dd. I'm not crazy on this idea at all - I am not sure I an handle another regular commitment / being roped into being a scout mom or leader since I have the training / etc. I would have to attend all events anyways on account of her ASD and food allergies. But my dd piped up and said she would like to try a troop this year. I don't see it going well - dd has come out of her shell a little but acts very young for her age and honestly I don't see her fitting into the dynamic of most girls her age - she just is in a different place mentally than most 10yo girls IMO. I don't want her to get hurt, KWIM? She is a kid who gets hurt easily. I'm also concerned about the extra costs of troop events - I don't have extra funds to put towards it, and don't feel it would be fair to be always asking for a scholarship to cover. DD probably will NOT sell cookies due to allergy concerns {most booths here do samples & she is allergic to half the GS cookies} fwiw. 

WWYD? Troop or stay lone scout? Something in between? Ideas?

My eldest supposedly earned four outdoor badges at scout camp a couple weeks ago.  The younger only stayed for half of the week, so I'll have to find out how far she got and whether it's feasible for us to finish up at home.  Some of them are things they work on locally with camping and stuff.

I have decided that (assuming the troop allows it), going forward, my eldest will cross over a year ahead of my youngest.  She meets the age requirement to do so.  I kept them together last time to make my life easier, but they are so different and it doesn't really make sense any more.  I would rather my oldest be sure of having sufficient time to finish her Stars and Stripes award.

Coming up is a pot luck which we may or may not attend - we have a lot of other things going on that day.  And I have the tentative calendar for the coming year.  They are supposed to earn 3 badges with the troop.  They are also going to push the religious pin this year, which will mean many extra meetings if we participate.

Outside, I am sure they will do horsemanship since they ride anyway.  Other than that, we need to work on some other kinds of badges - so far it's all outdoors, which is awesome, but they need the other 5 areas to get the level award.  :)  At home I'm thinking that the low-hanging fruit would be cooking, pet care, travel, the constitution, and the one that involves state history.

My eldest supposedly earned four outdoor badges at scout camp a couple weeks ago.  The younger only stayed for half of the week, so I'll have to find out how far she got and whether it's feasible for us to finish up at home.  Some of them are things they work on locally with camping and stuff.

I have decided that (assuming the troop allows it), going forward, my eldest will cross over a year ahead of my youngest.  She meets the age requirement to do so.  I kept them together last time to make my life easier, but they are so different and it doesn't really make sense any more.  I would rather my oldest be sure of having sufficient time to finish her Stars and Stripes award.

Coming up is a pot luck which we may or may not attend - we have a lot of other things going on that day.  And I have the tentative calendar for the coming year.  They are supposed to earn 3 badges with the troop.  They are also going to push the religious pin this year, which will mean many extra meetings if we participate.

Outside, I am sure they will do horsemanship since they ride anyway.  Other than that, we need to work on some other kinds of badges - so far it's all outdoors, which is awesome, but they need the other 5 areas to get the level award.  :)  At home I'm thinking that the low-hanging fruit would be cooking, pet care, travel, the constitution, and the one that involves state history.

Yes, SKL, the history badges often overlap with kids' school work too (no matter where they go to school.) You are right on with cooking and pet care. 

I taught the PRAY award class for the Explorers this summer. It can be done independently, but is more fun as a group. It is not a particulalry good Bible curriculum, but Dd enjoyed it and learned some things.

If your Dd is really interested in S&S, check out the info on the AHG website. The path to S&S chart is very helpful, showing which badges are best earned as a Pioneer and which as a Patriot. My dd will level up to Pioneer at the end of this year too. 

If your daughter wants to join a troop, check out a few and talk to the leader about the cookie issues and what your daughter might need to help her be successful.

Honestly, I would probably attempt to start my own troop in that situation. I know that's not what you want to hear but you would be starting with all new girls and create a bond together. Plus with cookies you could just decide as a troop no samples at booths.

Maybe the person you talked to could find a troop that you could pair with for some activities and things like that but for the majority of the time continue on the way you have been? That could be a good middle ground.

Hope something here helps. Good luck from my GS to yours.

Girl Scout folks - a wwyd question for y'all. 

DD is nearly 10 & going into 5th, but has ASD and some other issues. Up until now she's done scouting here and there as an at home thing - we just registered as a lone scout and then pretty much did our own thing and ignored the council. Once in a while we go to a scouting related event if I can find one that works for us. I held her in brownies an extra year to allow her to mature since she is young for grade. So this fall she would be moving up to Juniors. 

We were talking with another scout mom here, who also is coordinating troops in our area. She offered to find a troop for my dd. I'm not crazy on this idea at all - I am not sure I an handle another regular commitment / being roped into being a scout mom or leader since I have the training / etc. I would have to attend all events anyways on account of her ASD and food allergies. But my dd piped up and said she would like to try a troop this year. I don't see it going well - dd has come out of her shell a little but acts very young for her age and honestly I don't see her fitting into the dynamic of most girls her age - she just is in a different place mentally than most 10yo girls IMO. I don't want her to get hurt, KWIM? She is a kid who gets hurt easily. I'm also concerned about the extra costs of troop events - I don't have extra funds to put towards it, and don't feel it would be fair to be always asking for a scholarship to cover. DD probably will NOT sell cookies due to allergy concerns {most booths here do samples & she is allergic to half the GS cookies} fwiw. 

WWYD? Troop or stay lone scout? Something in between? Ideas?

My oldest 2 are back from Many Point! My son will get his photography badge likely as he did the Media program. Not sure what else. My daughter went for her first time. She will likely get her Water Sports badge for the snorkling, and the handicraft badge. Those are from the old program.... she will likely get the first 3 or 4 levels of the Aquatics skills badge from the new program for the snorkling..... just not sure if our scouters want the new scouts on the old or the new or a mixture..... and yes, she was 1 of a handful of Canadian girls there at a camp full of a few hundred boy scouts....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Camp Volcano just came to a close.  Oldest DS was staff.  Younger DS completed his Star rank, and earned the following merit badges:  First Aid (finally -- this was really done in March, but he finally got the signatures), Motor Boating, Dentistry, Nuclear Science, Water and Soil Conservation, Weather, Aviation, Space Exploration, Animal Science, Rifle Shooting, and Climbing.  This was a small camp (first year it's been done).  The kids took various field trips to the bases, and other parts of Naples for the badges.  Work is underway for next year -- but we'll be stateside next summer.

Oldest dd is joining venturing this fall, and we are stopping AHG.  Just can't keep up with it remotely.  Love the program -- just too much to do it on our own on top of everything else.  Maybe if I wasn't a part-time swim coach (which feels like it's full time), part-time fundraising for 2-3 organizations, homeschooling mom, high school guidance counselor, family organizer, and a wife, I could do it...but I just can't be a PiPa, Explorer and Tenderheart leader, too.  So...closing that chapter in our lives for now.

Eagle Project for DS #1 has about 18 hours of work left (18-20 August), and finalizing the paperwork -- so I'm planning his CoH party for mid-October :D.  He'll also be SPL, and younger DS may be ASPL this fall.  Next January, I expect younger DS will be SPL, and he'll start working on his Eagle project when we return from the states (I'm mostly just "pushing" him to get his Eagle Merit Badges done...he has a few "big" ones to do).  Other than Eagle, I think oldest DS is really "done" earning MBs.  He ages out in a year, and already has enough merit badges to get the 4 palms he'll be eligible for.  After this last stint as SPL, he's going to be a Jr. Asst. Scoutmaster as well as Crew.  

Those are our current plans!  As for me?  I've got to gather all of DS's old scouting t-shirts and get a quilt made for him for his 18th birthday.  Which, I'm sure he'll love.  

• Like 1

Need some help with BSA rules again.

Youngest son joined a new troop.  Old troop called today to say we owe money.  They said they sell popcorn in October and each boy has to either sell $300 or donate $100.  

They said that the October payment covers from March, when dues are collected, through the following March, so they are retroactively charging us $8.33/mo from March-July.  

They have NEVER done this to anyone before and this doesn't make sense to me, we will have to pay the popcorn money to the new troop and they certainly won't do anything prorated.

Is this allowed?

It doesn't sound like you owe them to me.  While troops can make up their own dues, they don't really have any way to force a payment as far as I can tell. It sounds like they are being petty.

Your new troop should be able to get your records through internet advancement, as long as things were recorded correctly.  Make sure you have your scouts member ID number.  Also make sure things are signed off in his book because that is his official record of his rank advancement.

• Like 1

My boys and DH are at Camp Meriwether this week.  It is youngest's first summer at Boy Scout camp.  He was all excited to do a lot at the waterfront, but got there and didn't like the looks of the lake.  He has never swam in anything but a pool.  So the trail guide helped him figure out a different merit badge schedule.  He is going to work on oceanography, first aid, and theater.  He also wants to do a lot of archery during his free time.  My other son is going to be working on his last two eagle required merit badges he needs for Star (first aid and cooking), and then he was also going to take wilderness survival and oceanography.

My 13 year also also went to NYLT a couple weeks ago and had a great time.  He learned a lot.  The only bummer is the two other guys from our troop that signed up to go decided they didn't want to last minute so DS was the only one from his troop there.  I told him that it wasn't going to be a big deal since they split up boys from the same troop into different groups so he wouldn't see much of them anyway.

DD is working on getting a new crew organized.  We just chartered a couple months ago and they have done one outing so far.  They have been working on planning future outings where they are searching for Bigfoot and ghost hunting.  They are talking about visiting ghost towns around the state.

Thank you.  They were even trying to get us to pay some money (not dues mind you, money for our popcorn that isn't happening until this coming October!) for my son who has EAGLE already!  Yeah, not happening.  

This is the same troop who forced all of us to pay $100 for the first son and $50 for each other son because they "needed" to build a shelter for our older boys to meet.  

Guess what?  After paying them $150 five years ago, they never built it and they never gave us our money back!  DH says to email them and tell them to take it out of the shelter money they still owe us.

I can't believe this troop, they are coming up with new rules every month and most of them are retroactive.  It is a few people who are power hungry it seems.  So ridiculous!  

And did I mention this is a homeschool only troop?  I am so fed up and so glad we are now finished with them.  It used to be a good troop but this past year or two it has gone down the toilet.

Ds11 is a brand new scout and dh will be one if his troop leaders. We are excited! Our city rec center offers a class covering several water-oriented merit badges so I signed him up for that to jumpstart things.

Trying to decide what to do with my girls who want in on the fun. Girl scouting exists but isn't big in our area--and I've always liked the boys' program better.

• Like 1

Thank you.  They were even trying to get us to pay some money (not dues mind you, money for our popcorn that isn't happening until this coming October!) for my son who has EAGLE already!  Yeah, not happening.  

This is the same troop who forced all of us to pay $100 for the first son and $50 for each other son because they "needed" to build a shelter for our older boys to meet.  

Guess what?  After paying them $150 five years ago, they never built it and they never gave us our money back!  DH says to email them and tell them to take it out of the shelter money they still owe us.

I can't believe this troop, they are coming up with new rules every month and most of them are retroactive.  It is a few people who are power hungry it seems.  So ridiculous!  

And did I mention this is a homeschool only troop?  I am so fed up and so glad we are now finished with them.  It used to be a good troop but this past year or two it has gone down the toilet.

Yeah, no "retroactive" rules or dues.  That's just wrong.  

• Like 1

Lisa--warning on the Eagle CoH--right now it's taking over 6 weeks to get stuff back from National. So, finish the Eagle, finish paperwork, your Council looks at it, then it goes to the DAC and then the EBoR and back to National. And then the 6 weeks. So, you may be rushing it to try for October!

Heard :D

I can not wait until the project is DONE.  Just can't wait!  Putting a big ole "check mark" next to that one!  If we can't have the party in October (probably the 17th or 24th, it will have to wait until December 5th.  November is already packed end-to-end. 

• Like 1

Lisa--warning on the Eagle CoH--right now it's taking over 6 weeks to get stuff back from National. So, finish the Eagle, finish paperwork, your Council looks at it, then it goes to the DAC and then the EBoR and back to National. And then the 6 weeks. So, you may be rushing it to try for October!

Oh wow, I just got this question from a friend yesterday.  She was frustrated because it has been 3 weeks and my boys only took 3 weeks max to hear back.

Thanks for letting us know.

Anyone's troop doing a 50 Miler? http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/fifty.aspx

I'd sure like to see our troop do this, but it's going to be rough getting enough adults. They'd probably have to split the week. We live just up the river from the largest lake in CO, with a shoreline of 96 miles. I could see it working by paddling much of the way around the lake--it's full this year. 

Our troop  has done it a couple of times.

My 12 year old was going to go in May, was set to go since January, but they changed the rules in April saying only boys 14 and up could go without a parent with them the entire time.  DH couldn't go, so then all of a sudden, my son couldn't go either.

Just another rule change last minute, after the fact, etc.....

But yes, our old troop has done it.

Just wanted to share with folks frustrated by non-functioning troops, over-controlling adults, etc. We just had a GREAT committee meeting, planning out stuff through December. We knew that the SPL wouldn't be able to be there, but he sent the ASPL and we did our usual meander through the calendar--throwing out ideas, remembering things like the Christmas fair and Homecoming, making arrangements for the new Cyber Chip requirements for Star. etc. We had just one new Scout mom, which was a shame, but she could see how we all work together to have the best program for the boys. I encouraged folks to think about NAYLE and challenged the troop to a 50 Miler paddle trip. It took several reworkings of the calendar, but I think we plugged it all in. One of the older boys is stepping back up as SPL for the next round as the next cohort of boys isn't mature enough. The ASPL brought a good calendar that just needed tweaking. We heard reports on our biggest fundraiser of the year, and planned for the next bigger one. Anyway, I wanted to encourage folks--this CAN work and work well. 

Oh, our old troop looked good on paper.   :glare:

And if you were one of the "controlling entities" you would say it is a great troop.

I assume you mean your troop changed the rules, as the National rules only require two-deep leadership. Bummer. 

I'm going to suggest to the boys that maybe we skip camp next year and do the Green River in UT!

Our ASM did it in Boundary Waters as a Scout, twice. 

Yup, our troop changed their rules two months after the trip was planned and he was signed up.  This is a common theme with this troop.  A small handful of people changing the rules as they wish to suit their own needs, not caring if it negatively affects others.

We are finally out so I feel a bit more comfortable saying it like it is and "ratting them out."  It got really frustrating.

There were three major things that have happened to my oldest's troop. They opened a Venture Crew that pulled all of the older kids, a kid came in with a mom that the then-Scoutmaster couldn't stand, and the current Scoutmaster is overwhelmed with lots of new younger kids and no actual help from parents.

The Old-troop Scoutmaster went full-time to the Crew because this mom is so hard to deal with (hems not the only one seems chased away) leaving a leadership vacuum with adults and boys. That left the new scoutmaster to deal with 20 new boys that are very say, rambunctious and whose parents won't help.

We (I'm on the committee) are working to solve the problems but whence already lost a lot of boys because of it. That includes my 15yo who was the SPL but can't stand going anymore because the younger scouts just don't listen and the adults don't even try to help.

This is a community troop. My ds13 is in an LDS troop but my older ds switched to the community one because he was bored once he turned 14.

My ds13 has had the same leader move up with him since he came into Boy Scouts at 11. It's unusual and really good for the boys. He has a real interest in Scouts and running the troop right. But ds15 had different leaders that just weren't interested. That said, he's at Philmont with the LDS troop not the community one.

Curious - can a girl do venturing and AHG?  The above posts make it sound like if you join Venturing you leave your scout troop - is that necessarily true, or do people do that because of the time commitment?

Several of our girls have done both, they are different nights for us.  

Younger ds and I just got back from Northern Tier.

I LOVED it.  It was so hard, but I loved it.  I would have stayed longer if I could have.

Younger ds enjoyed it, but not as much as I did.

Older ds is there now.  This is his second trip to NT.  He went 6 years ago as a 13 year old and loved it.  It will be interesting to hear his view on it now.  Unfortunately, they have a small crew - one boy got sick the night before they were to hit the water and was sent home, so my son's crew is down to 7, from the optimal maximum of 9.

• Like 2

Oldest ds comes out of the wilderness at Philmont today. I'm hoping someone texts/emails/calls to tell us that everything went well despite it raining the entire time they were out there. He actually gets home on Saturday night. It'll have been two weeks by that point and I am as ready to see ds as I was to have him go.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the "tackle" thread for today, but thought it should go here too. 

We are back from first Cub Scout meeting and thankful that it looks like a good fit for us.   :hurray:   :hurray:   :hurray:

Not a huge group, very friendly, well-organized, some people we know, lots of homeschoolers, lots of fathers leading and Ds even won a prize in a game. 

The uniform will be a budget hit, but Ds is SO excited, it's worth the $. I was surprised to see how high the eBay prices were - not much of a break on new, with shipping costs. Easier and faster to just get it all in one trip to the scout shop. Next year when he needs the khaki shirt, I'll get it at consignment ahead of time. 

Ds went to sleep reading the Bear scout book! Sweet. He's 9 and won't be that little boy too much longer.

• Like 1

I posted this in the "tackle" thread for today, but thought it should go here too.

We are back from first Cub Scout meeting and thankful that it looks like a good fit for us. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Not a huge group, very friendly, well-organized, some people we know, lots of homeschoolers, lots of fathers leading and Ds even won a prize in a game.

The uniform will be a budget hit, but Ds is SO excited, it's worth the $. I was surprised to see how high the eBay prices were - not much of a break on new, with shipping costs. Easier and faster to just get it all in one trip to the scout shop. Next year when he needs the khaki shirt, I'll get it at consignment ahead of time.

Ds went to sleep reading the Bear scout book! Sweet. He's 9 and won't be that little boy too much longer.[/quote

I have a Cub Scout uniform you can have. It's been sitting in my closet for a few years but I think is still correct - blue shirt and pants?

Oldest ds got home from Philmont, tired and water-logged, but having had a great time! We haven't heard all of his stories (and really don't want ALL of them) but he suddenly wants to go to all of the high adventure camps. He said it rained every day there so it was a lot like our family vacation and not at all like the drought weather we have here. He also grew an inch, which makes him very happy!

And we are finished with camps this year. All four of my kids went to GS or BSA camps and all of them had the time of their lives. I feel like we're very lucky to have places nearby (or not) that they can try new and exciting things. Especially my girls since I'm the leader of both of their troops and they rarely get to do something that I haven't planned or am at as well.

Next week I'll be at the elementary school trying to recruit new girls for GS and more importantly, their parents to volunteer. In our council we need 2 adults and 5 girls to get a troop number. The five girls are usually pretty easy to find, especially in kindergarten. It's the two adults that gets more difficult. And then we need a cookie mom and ideally a treasurer. It's hard to get enough people to really run a troop well.

• Like 1

Ds did a week of regular scout camp and a week of NYLT. He went out of Council for a program with an excellent reputation. It was superbly organized -- orientation a few weeks beforehand, check in at camp took less than five minutes. Each boy got a personalized binder with daily schedules, info. Activities from early morning to late at night, on time and well run.

Dd is in her last week of GS camp, five weeks total. She did a 66 mile canoe trip and 44 miles of hiking on AT. The camp is very well run, high ratio of counselors to girls. It's been a great experience.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ds received his Bobcat and got his Bear claw belt loop last night. He is so excited! He was still bubbling over this morning!  

We were sad, though, that Dh had to miss that pack meeting and didn't get to turn his boy upside down. 

Ds is excited to sell popcorn and looking forward to the camp-out. He has watched Dd earn badges and awards in AHG and enjoyed being in the pack o'brothers at her camp-outs, so it is good for him to have his own scout stuff. 

I need to get a picture of both in their uniforms soon. 

They have drawn a neighborhood map and are plotting out how to divide it up for fundraising. We live in a lower middle class area and many of our neighbors cannot afford to buy from both. Church friends will be next, then grandparents. 

• Like 1

My girls in AHG are going to start the religion pin course.  It will be one lesson per month through February.

Their unit is working on the Nature and Wildlife badge.  This coming weekend we are going to do a conservation project that involves planting native plants, so that should cover some volunteer time and a badge requirement.  The following weekend is a weekend campout.  Hopefully they progress on some badge work there, particularly the "camping" badge.  They have a bunch of outdoor badges from prior camping, but somehow the camping badge has not happened.

We haven't really done anything at home, but I want them to finish their horsemanship badge (should be easy) and work on the cooking, internet, and travel badges.  And I need to come up with a plan for the financial management badge.  That's one that they need to do in order to get their Stars and Stripes, so I would like to get on it sooner rather than later.

My daughter learned that there is a Rush Revere scholarship for AHG girls, and she wants to apply for that.

I am wondering about whether the kids' school activities can count toward the music performance badge or the sports pins.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Specifically activities like:

• School band.
  • School sports.
  • School play / musical.
  • School talent show.

<p>

I am wondering about whether the kids' school activities can count toward the music performance badge or the sports pins. Anyone have any thoughts? Specifically activities like:

• School band.
  • School sports.
  • School play / musical.
  • School talent show.
Absolutely!

I sit diwn and read through the badges every so often to see if we have covered requirements in school or if there are easy ways to do so.

Edited by ScoutTN

<p>I am wondering about whether the kids' school activities can count toward the music performance badge or the sports pins. Anyone have any thoughts? Specifically activities like:

• School band.
  • School sports.
  • School play / musical.
  • School talent show.

Yes!

When older DS was a Cub Scout my co-drab leader called the PE coach to find out what they had done in PE so he could give his son credit for this activities. Parents thought my son was an overachiever, when in reality I just knew and was able to tailor his homeschool to fit a lit of scout requirements.

Scouts Canada

Well, scouting has just barely started up again....

My oldest, we have to decide if he is going to try to finish the Chief Scout Award with the old requirements, or the new ones. I figure he has about 1- 1.5 years worth of work, but only has this year to finish it, and with the change in ages, 2 years left before moving to venturers. I hate the new version, it is so dumbed down.

My next is a fairly new scout... we need to see how her badges translate into the new program

My next is a fairly new cub so is also new program. She had a hike already and a camp coming up.

My youngest is a Beaver, her first meeting of the yesr is coming up. New program and new leaders. She is just excited that Beavers now have badges!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I posted earlier this year about ds' struggle to learn to swim.  I am proud to say that he is making his appointment this week to do both the 2nd class and 1st class swim tests!!  He has worked SO hard and I am just beaming with pride.  He was really scared when we started out.  We both got frustrated for several weeks of no progress and then...suddenly, it just sort of clicked.  He finally jumped into the deep end as his last fear to conquer and has been swimming laps of breast stroke and a modified type of backstroke for a few weeks now!

Anyhow, thanks for the encouragement to NOT give up!  Ds is SO glad that his journey to Eagle will not be derailed by this one thing and he really learned a lot about himself in the process.  :) :)  :hurray:  

• Like 7