Menu

What's with the ads?

The Accidental Coach

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Scout, I like it! :)

We just went to a scout field trip for the zoology badge, and I got home and started kicking myself for not thinking to take photos.  Duh!

My kids finished enough service hours for a star (and more) already, so I don't have to worry about that this year.

I volunteered to help with the World Heritage badge later this year, so now I have to figure out what to do.  :p

We are in the middle of one fundraiser and may add a second one.  We are doing "fun pasta" instead of nuts this year.  I thought that was great, got my kids busy, but they have sold very little.  I suggested a graduated buyout so kids can experience the selling gig but parents don't feel they have to buy a pile of stuff they don't want.

We have a campout this weekend.  I am going to look for a motel nearby.  I don't see the point of coming with my pup tent when I could be working in a warm, dry place.  I would just leave my kids there, but my youngest is still scared after what happened last year.  :/

Hey SKL,

When we did the World Heritage badge a few years ago, our PiPa's and some Explorers made booths about different countries and we invited other troops and our charter church too, making it a multi-troop/community outreach event for girls who planned it for their level award. We had about 12 booths. Each one had food, interesting items to touch, music, clothing etc. The younger girls had a "passport" to get stamped at each booth. It was fun and not a ridiculous amount of work. 

• Like 1

I'm being driven absolutely BATTY by a committee chair. He's been mad for two years because I turned down an Eagle project for one of the boys in his troop. Well, it was routine maintenance, and for private individuals to boot. It went clear to the Council level, but only after I got yelled at by the bishop. So, then the kid waits until the DAY BEFORE his 18th birthday to finish, and now I'm being harassed about doing the EBoR TODAY. Um, failure for you to plan does not constitute a crisis on my part. I set up the board because you said you could be there, but now you say you can't. And I don't appreciate being told that Wednesday is now the only day you can do it. Well, it may well wait until next week. Yeah, you're leaving for the mission in October but 1) it's not October and 2) it's not MY fault that you waited until the day before to finish. And no, no one else can chair the board. It's my problem. It's hard to get a board for this kid because everyone is hacked off at him, and I don't want to use all LDS--he needs to have the larger Scouting community involved. And did I mentions it's 4 hours of driving for me???? 

• Like 1

Glad to report that this problem child's EBoR is done. Thank heavens. He brought reinforcements--sorry Charlie, but you do your interview on your own. The big guns that you brought can sit in the front hallway and twiddle their thumbs!

• Like 2

My boys seem to be in something of a slump with Scouts. My oldest is taking 5 AP classes and has no time for anything else. DS14 started 9th grade and is a little crazy with that plus he's stuck at 1st Class until he can get a couple more hours of service.

My girls are doing okay. ODD is a Cadette and is planningher Silver Award so she's moving along. Younger DD's troopnis heavily into fundraising for GS weekend at Emerald Bay in March and then San Francisco next year. Plus badges and all of that. Nothing super exciting, just plugging along with their Scout journeys.

But if anyone has advice on service hours and how to help an already overwhelmed 16yo on his Eagle, I'd appreciate it.

• Like 1

Our boys have done service hours on Eagle projects (latest is working on a handicapped camping pad at a mountain park), cleaning the firehouse, cleaning at the local pioneer museum, Scouting for Food, putting up flags and taking them down at the cemetery, helping at their churches, helping with the BIG flag at the rodeos, helping at the dog pound, planting clover for habitat improvement, repairing trails at the national park, helping at the observatory, teaching VBS, timing at the city ski hill races, covering open wells at a nearby quarry, tearing down old fallen-down bunkhouses at a mine now on federal land, planting native plant gardens, moving rocks at the nursing home gardens, blocking off trails that were eroding at mountain bike parks, picking rocks at the rodeo grounds, oiling saddles at the pioneer museum, replacing concrete at the church where we meet, building bird houses, education program for smoke detectors, painting the Am Legion Hall, handing out juice at a blood drive, volunteering as "victims" for mock casualties at the airport, been "victims" at an "active shooter" drill for the sheriff (older kids only), been the Color Guard for memorial for local kid killed in Iraq, timing at swim meets, cleaning up floating trash at our local lake, singing at the assisted living home, and helped with petting zoos at the nursing home. 

• Like 1

Some more: washing the rodeo queen's horse, hosting and teaching livestock showmanship clinics, setting up pens at the rodeo grounds, moving a flagpole and garden at the rodeo grounds, raising Guide Dog for the Blind puppies, cooking for the firemen when they are on a big fire, arranging food and water transport for forest fires, being the communication liaison for the county in disasters, cleaning the hockey rink boards, rebuilding the skateboard ramps at the park, participating in Earth Day cleanups, stapling up pheromone packets to head off bark beetles in the forests, building trails at the whitewater park, and controlling parking at a county fair. I'm sure I'll think of more. 

• Like 1

As to the Eagle--what is he passionate about? Fire fighting? Had a kid who did a city-wide blitz about smoke detectors.

Military? Legion hut building rebuild.

History? Had a kid who ripped out all the 8' high sagebrush out of a historic cemetery about an hour from here, rebuilt and replaced fences and markers, and mapped the whole cemetery. Lots of LDS projects have been mapping cemeteries,

Skiing? My kid rebuilt ski racks (which were an Eagle project 30 years earlier), replaced picnic tables, tore down and rebuilt the unsafe maze (he got the idea several years earlier when he knocked himself out hitting one of the logs), and painted the top lift shack and replaced the windows.

Nature: We have a lovely nature trail up at the mountain park (that has another Eagle project going on right now) that was built over 40 years ago. It's been redone and rebuilt and will need it again in another 5-10 years. We had a young man who ripped out off sorts of non-native plants at a state park and replaced them with native species, along with signage. He earned the Landscape Architecture mb whilst doing it. We had a young man who ripped out all sorts of non-native (Russian olives mostly) shrubs, closed off eroding trails and then had a HUGE bonfire to get rid of the RO. It helped that his dad has a hot-shot fire-fighting crew, so the adults did the burning. We had a young man who did all sorts of bluebird houses--we have the highest altitude population of bluebirds in the US and the houses were a mess. The kid didn't finish the project, but the troop made over 50 replacement houses for the BLM. In the next town over,, we've had boy plant the sod for the botanical gardens, and another boy built potting sheds. 

Our hired man's project was to build bridges in the running trail behind the public school. 

One boy ripped out a horrible church kitchen and replaced it with a cry room, with piped-in sound, shelves for toys, carpet, new storage, etc. 

One boy made a training film for the docents at a western heritage museum.

One boy put up a flagpole at a city golf course. 

One boy got a pile of computers donated and helped the residents of an assisted living place to set up email etc.

We've had several boys gather new backpacks and outfit them with toothbrushes, school supplies, combs, brushes, socks, etc. to hand to to kids yanked into the foster care system. I squawked the second go round until I found out the social services handed out over 60 in one year!

We had twins who each did a dugout at two different ball parks. They each had to do the projects separately, but they did. 

We had a boy who made a "solar walk" at the observatory. Each station shows how far away the next planet is with educational signage. They're in big pots so they can be brought in for the winter. 

One boy just finished a series of little free libraries. 

One boy interviewed most of the veterans in his town, taping them and giving their families, the nursing home and the library copies of the tapes. 

One boy at the age of 8, noticed veterans sitting in their wheelchairs, waiting for the rest to be unloaded at the VA. The men were not dressed for the weather. The boy then made the commitment to make EACH vet in each nursing home in his town and surrounding towns a home-made quilt. And he did it! He had over 600 hours invested in the project. He involved his high school and the local quilting club and they spent MONTHS on it. I made one too. 

We had a boy build shelving for kids' books and self-help books at the homeless shelter in a nearby town. He had over 300 books donated. Each kid gets a book when he leaves. One of the churches provides the books. 

One boy scraped and repainted all the fire hydrants in town, and put up tall orange posts on each one. We regularly get 6 feet of snow, so the hydrants have to be marked. 

We had a boy replace all the wooden tent platforms at the his church camp. His brother rebuilt and repainted all the doors all over the camp. 

Here are a zillion more ideas: http://www.scoutorama.com/project/

• Like 1

Dd is an AHG Pioneer working on Engineering and Money Management badges. Two camping trips and some riding in October. Always lots of service b/c she volunteers regularly at a local history site.

Hoping we get a little cooler weather for camping. Sad that I will miss Ds' campout. Love Cub Scouts because the boys and dads do all the work and moms can just hang out, hike, nap, fish etc.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

My DD's GS troop is finishing up our outdoor journey by going primitive camping in November. Our October meetings will be spent planning for that. Another mom from the troop is going instead of me. (When I agreed to resume my co-leader role, I said I would do it if other moms volunteered to camp. I love helping the girls lead meetings and do fun urban things. I am not a camper. It has worked really well for our troop.) Then we will he starting our Silver Awards. My DD is hoping to do something with celiac disease, maybe putting together a celiac disease booklet for a medical study she is in.

• Like 1

Trinqueta is half way through her Sunfish Mate course with GSA Mariners. She's also checking out a Sea Scout ship. Their first event this year is a sunfish regatta in a park near us. Then they'll do a big boat sail at the end of October. If the ship is fairly active, I'm sure she'll join, but it does depend on attendance at these events. 

• Like 2

Ds had a Court of Honor last Monday and is now at Star Scout rank, he also received 9 merit badges. He is working on Personal Management solo and doing the pre-reqs for Emergency Preparedness for a MBU he is taking in Nov. Their Troop is doing well, they have Camporee coming up and the Webelo 2's from the old Pack will be joining them so they are going to be 20+ in just a couple of months.

AHG is going fine, we just did a half day hike Sat. and finished off the hiking badge for my Explorers and knocked out some requirements for my Pioneers. I'm asst. coordinator again this year after a year break and we are really working on getting the Troop organized and growing it, it has been a pain in the butt and a lot of work. 

My Explorer class is working on Artastic to start the year(they are loving it!), they've not figured out what they want to do next. We are camping this coming weekend I think my big girls want to do fishing and biking, my new campers will be working on Outdoor Cooking and Fire Safety. 

I am a little worried about one of our parents, he came along to the hike and was trying to take over. He usually doesn't come to any of the events, I'm really hoping that it stays that way because otherwise, I believe I'm going to have to have a very uncomfortable talk about the fact that he isn't a leader and (2) the girls are leading when they get to Pioneer age. In leadership we are going to have to address some issues as well, things that seem like common sense that evidently aren't, sigh. After being left hanging 2x in the past week, scrambling to get stuff done that someone else was supposed to do I might as well plan it all myself, then I know it is done.

Thankfully I have dh to help me out, he has a lot of Boy Scout experience and has done a ton of training through them, stuff that AHG doesn't have around here at least, he is getting ready to do Okpik(cold weather camping) training too. In the past we've mostly done things as a Troop as a whole and this year we are really trying to offer more activities and experiences for the big girls but there is a learning curve. I wanted to do this a few years back when I led this age but our leader then totally messed things up, we found out in March that she had never even re-chartered (she was a control freek that took over everything herself) so she kept putting me off for field trips and high adventure because we couldn't do them. Then she upped and quit in the middle of the year and the last leader and myself have worked on picking up the pieces. We've come a long way but we've still got more to straighten out.

I feel like we will be in a much better place at the end of this year but it will be a lot of work to get there. I spent hours yesterday working on our advancement software (Troop Track), it was a hot mess. Last year I led the Explorers and my co-leader was supposed to take care of attendance and advancement but she didn't, when it came time for ordering awards I was left in a lurch getting it all ready. I'm going to enter in all the records and then individual teachers will take care of tracking badge work themselves. Hopefully, I can get the paperwork tonight so I have that done. 

We are talking about doing a Spring Break trip to the USS Alabama, I know the Boy Scouts did it one year and had a blast and the cost is very reasonable and within driving distance for us. I'm trying to search out some options for the girls to do but my to-do list is a mile long. Tonight the girls are doing painting so I'll have to hit town early to get supplies before our meeting.

• Like 2

Boys and dh just got back from a mountain biking camping trip. This was dh’s first camping trip in a long time. He did it with Cub Scouts with our oldest but then our second son didn’t do Cub Scouts and dh hasn’t been camping with BS. It went pretty well, even though he had to spend most of Saturday in the ER with a kid (not ours) who got pretty badly hurt after a crash. The kid is ok, although has multiple broken bones. In a weird way, dh felt like it was good for him to be there as he felt like he could be more useful in that way. The other dads are way more experienced campers so I think before the crash he was feeling a little unsure of how to be helpful. 

Ds13 was just elected SPL. He’s very excited and I think a little nervous about it. It’s great to see him taking on leadership roles. He’s a Life Scout so starting to think about things like the Eagle Project. He’s almost done with the required Merit Badges, just Camping and Personal Management to go. 

Ds10 is in his first year. He didn’t do Cub Scouts as he didn’t like it. I’m hoping he will really like Scouts and so far he does. He loves the outdoors and camping and activities. He’s not as much of a kid who likes to follow rules or requirements so the Merit Badges and Advancement will be harder for him. But I figure he can still get a lot out of it even if he has different ultimate goals than his brother. He just got his Scout badge and is almost done with the Tenderfoot requirements. He has an advantage because he’s friends with a lot of older brother’s friends and when they come over they will work with him on stuff. 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 4

We got through the mid-September AHG campout.  You may recall that one of my girls had a bad experience last summer at sleep-away camp, and she is still extremely anxious.  She "got sick" shortly before it was time to go to sleep in the tents.  Luckily I had booked a room at the nearby Comfort Inn, and I took her with me overnight and brought her back in the mornings.  I know it isn't fair to the others, but she already has her "camping" badge and I figured it would be less fair to leave her there crying and moaning and ruining everyone else's fun.  Other than that, it was a wonderful camp.

The girls completed all the requirements for their horsemanship badge (mostly with the troop).  This would have been an easy one for them to complete independently, but I'm still glad not to have to plan the review and all that stuff.  For some reason my kids clam up on badge reviews and it looks like they never did the work.  Preparing a presentation worked well in the past, but they are so busy and really don't want to spend their free time doing that. 

One of my kids finished part of the archery badge.  I'll have to see what else is required to complete it.  They have done a fair amount of archery in the past and have a bow, so hopefully this could be an easy one.

I really need to get going on the financial management badge and complete that before Miss A crosses over this year.

We finished the fundraiser - I caved and bought a bunch for the house and for Christmas.  The girls did sell a little.  They made a plan to push it at an event we attended, but the plan petered out once they got there and wanted to spend time with their friend.

Planning to sign the kids up for the pen pal program again this year.  This past year's pen pals flaked out on us.  :P  I wonder how common that is.

Looking forward to the mom & daughter event coming up this fall, and hoping that completes our requirements for # of "events" needed for the level award.

I need to find what else is needed for Miss A to get the level award this year.  I think it is well within reach but would like to know sooner rather than later.

Last but not least, planning for the World Heritage badge - I want my kids (or at least the eldest) to lead it as much as possible.

• Like 1

Wow... it has been YEARS since I last posted in this thread, back when my 4th son made Eagle.

We haven't participated in scouts in several years due to life circumstances.

Well, I'm here to report that we have picked up the guidon once again.

We are Lone Scouting our 5th and 6th boys. It's official.

• Like 7

I need to walk dd through making a budget this weekend so she can finish the Money Management badge. That one was a ton of work! A good intro to things we will teach her in more detail as she gets older.

She is working on Theater on her own and Engineering with the troop. 

• Like 1

I had one of the best Eagle Boards this past week. The Scout hauled a huge fossil dinosaur track out of the Gunnison Gorge and mounted it at the BLM office. It required quite the logistics to get it over the cliffs. 

Congrats on the Lone Scout--hope it works well. 

• Like 1

Welcome back Karen! 

Margaret, what an unusual project.

We're just keeping on, keeping on. Ds is finishing up personal management, probably this weekend. Next weekend he has Citizenship in the Community class. He's already done his community service and community meeting. I think he has one or two pre-requisites to finish. After that he only likes 2 badges, both Eagle required. He's set to take Sustainability in Jan and will have homework for that one (the counselor doesn't like them to do the work until after the class). Then it is Citizenship in the Nation which I think he is registered to take in February.

I believe he has all his requirements for Life rank, he just has to get in his 6 months and have Board of Review, which will happen in April. 

Dh starts Okpik training in a couple of weeks. He is also organizing a new MBU for this Spring, why he decided to take this on is beside me but he is working away. It will be mostly focused on Eagle required badges but he's also trying to find some unique electives for variety not to mention ds will likely have all his Eagle required badges by then. He is staying very busy with the new Troop. He is *still* working on straightening out advancement for the boys that transferred from the old Troop, it was so unbelievably messed up, he has 100+ hrs into fixing that (hunting down cards, updating with National, correcting mistakes). They had one boy who was hoping to get his Eagle but he doesn't come to meetings, missed an Eagle BOR, and thanks to the bad guidance of former leaders, did his project without prior approval and at the wrong time. Another boy just transferred in and his parents think he is going to be the first Eagle in this Troop but he's the same rank as my son, 2 yrs younger and is missing a ton of merit badges, you don't advance in rank if you never show up to meetings or activities, you don't gain rank simply by being registered. 

I'm frustrated as all get out w/ AHG. Our old leader was way too generous with scholarshipping people for EVERYTHING, so now we have this culture that thinks you don't have to pay for anything. Unless we get more people actually paying I don't see how we can keep this up. I haven't even counted how much has come out of my pocket for this year that I've written off, not to mention the $100+ that I'm STILL waiting for reimbursement on. I've had 2 groups by myself with no assistant, I have some parents that randomly show up but nobody I can count on. I've tried to plan extra events but cannot get any enthusiasm, I'm feeling a wee bit jaded now. My 2 girls raised 25% of the money we brought in for our fundraiser and they didn't sell that much. Our top seller brought in 25% by herself, so 3 girls raised over 50% of the money for the whole damn Troop. We have 20 girls registered!!!!

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

Sorer--sorry to hear of the money woes! One of the things we learned was to never offer a full-ride to anything. They don't pay, they don't value it. We have an Elks Lodge in one of the US's ritziest ski towns who offer full-ride NYLT gigs. All too often, the parents blow it off, showing up the wrong week, wrong equipment, etc. I've become MUCH more selective about who I tell about it. 

The boy missed his OWN EBoR? How can that be? And if it wasn't a legal project, he should have even HAD an EBoR. At the wrong time? As he wasn't a Life Scout? NO way can he Eagle at this point. 

A boy MUST be active for rank advancement. Period. End of discussion. 

4.2.3.1 Active Participation

The purpose of Star, Life, and Eagle Scout requirements calling for Scouts to be active for a period of months involves impact. Since we prepare young people to go forth, and essentially, make a positive difference in our American society, we judge that a member is "active" when his level of activity in Scouting, whether high or minimal, has had a sufficiently positive influence toward this end.

Use the following three sequential tests to determine whether the requirement has been met. The first and second are required, along with either the third or its alternative.

1. The Scout is registered. The youth is registered in his unit for at least the time period indicated in the requirement, and he has indicated in some way, through word or action, that he considers himself a member. If a boy was supposed to have been registered, but for whatever reason was not, discuss with the local council registrar the possibility of back-registering him.
  2. The Scout is in good standing. A Scout is considered in "good standing" with his unit as long as he has not been dismissed for disciplinary reasons. He must also be in good standing with the local council and the Boy Scouts of America. (In the rare case he is not, communications will have been delivered.)
  3. The Scout meets the unit's reasonable expectations; or, if not, a lesser level of activity is explained. If, for the time period required, a Scout or qualifying Venturer or Sea Scout meets those aspects of his unit's pre-established expectations that refer to a level of activity, then he is considered active and the requirement is met. Time counted as "active" need not be consecutive. A boy may piece together any times he has been active and still qualify. If he does not meet his unit's reasonable expectations, then he must be offered the alternative that follows.

Units are free to establish additional expectations on uniforming, supplies for outings, payment of dues, parental involvement, etc., but these and any other standards extraneous to a level of activity shall not be considered in evaluating this requirement.

Alternative to the third test if expectations are not met:

If a young man has fallen below his unit's activity oriented expectations, then it must be due to other positive endeavors - in or out of Scouting - or due to noteworthy circumstances that have prevented a higher level of participation.

A Scout in this case is still considered "active" if a board of review can agree that Scouting values have already taken hold and have been exhibited. This might be evidenced, for example, in how he lives his life and relates to others in his community, at school, in his religious life, or in Scouting. It is also acceptable to consider and "count" positive activities outside Scouting when they, too, contribute to his growth in character, citizenship, or personal fitness. Remember: It is not so much about what a Scout has done. It is about what he is able to do and how he has grown.

Additional Guidelines on the Three Tests.

There may be, of course, registered youth who appear to have little or no activity. Maybe they are out of the country on an exchange program, or away at school. Or maybe we just haven't seen them and wonder if they've quit. To pass the first test above, a Scout must be registered. But he should also have made it clear through participation or by communicating in some way that he still considers himself a member, even though - for now - he may not fulfill the unit's participation expectations. A conscientious leader might make a call and discover the boy's intentions.

If, however, a Scout has been asked to leave his unit due to behavioral issues or the like, or if the council or the Boy Scouts of America has directed - for whatever reason - that he must not participate, then according to the second test he is not considered "active."

In considering the third test, it is appropriate for units to set reasonable expectations for attendance and participation. Then it is simple: Those who meet them are "active." But those who do not must be given the opportunity to qualify under the third-test alternative above. To do so, they must first offer an acceptable explanation. Certainly, there are medical, educational, family, and other issues that for practical purposes prevent higher levels of participation. These must be considered. Would the Scout have been more active if he could have been? If so, for purposes of advancement, he is deemed "active."

We must also recognize the many worthwhile opportunities beyond Scouting. Taking advantage of these opportunities and participating in them may be used to explain why unit participation falls short. Examples might include involvement in religious activities, school, sports, or clubs that also develop character, citizenship, or personal fitness. The additional learning and growth experiences these provide can reinforce the lessons of Scouting and also give young men the opportunity to put them into practice in a different setting.

It is reasonable to accept that competition for a Scout's time will become intense, especially as he grows older and wants to take advantage of positive "outside" opportunities. This can make full-time dedication to his unit difficult to balance. A fair leader therefore, will seek ways to empower a young man to plan his growth opportunities both inside and outside Scouting, and consider them part of the overall positive life experience for which the Boy Scouts of America is a driving force.

A board of review can accept an explanation if it can be reasonably sure there have been sufficient influences in the Scout's life that he is meeting our aims and can be awarded the rank regardless of his current or most recent level of activity in Scouting. The board members must satisfy themselves that he presents himself, and behaves, according to the expectations of the rank for which he is a candidate. Simply put: Is he the sort of person who, based on present behavior, will contribute to the Boy Scouts of America's mission? Note that it may be more difficult, though not impossible, for a younger member to pass through the third-test alternative than for one more experienced in our lessons.

• Like 1

Sorer--sorry to hear of the money woes! One of the things we learned was to never offer a full-ride to anything. They don't pay, they don't value it. We have an Elks Lodge in one of the US's ritziest ski towns who offer full-ride NYLT gigs. All too often, the parents blow it off, showing up the wrong week, wrong equipment, etc. I've become MUCH more selective about who I tell about it. 

The boy missed his OWN EBoR? How can that be? And if it wasn't a legal project, he should have even HAD an EBoR. At the wrong time? As he wasn't a Life Scout? NO way can he Eagle at this point. 

A boy MUST be active for rank advancement. Period. End of discussion. 

I know, the money thing is a mess, our old leader was a total softy (lovely lady but not a strong enough leader) but now we are paying the price, nobody thinks they have to pay anything or even raise funds. I am so tired of people taking advantage of others and very tired of being the one taken advantage of. People are entirely oblivious to how much time and money it takes to pull these things off. 

Yes, Margaret, it is a HUGE mess. Dh and the SM have told him just what you stated, it was not done at the appropriate rank and needs prior approval. They think the old leader pushed him through the project and was oblivious to what rank he was b/c they did a deplorable job keeping records, according to Council and National when he completed the project he was not Life. Dh asked them if there was a BoR before the project for him to get Life but the date they gave was after the project. The SM actually sits on the EBoR but has recused himself. Dh figures he will end up quitting and I'm sure he will blame the EBoR and dh and the SM when the fault total falls on himself and the former leaders.

He said he got lost on the way to the EBoR but their Troop meeting spot is less than 1 mi/1 minute away on the same road from where EBoR meets. The SM told him where it was, gave him directions, and told him to drive there to make sure he had it right. They finally had to call him 45 minutes late, we live in a small town, it only takes 15 min to get from one end to the next. Unfortunately, the 2 other active Troops see no problem with how it was done and think it is an injustice for him not to get his Eagle. This and many other reasons is why dh and the SM started a new Troop, they think they can make up their own rules

My son earned his Pathfinder Scout Award (old program) and has a few things left towards his Chief Scout Award. (Old program)

HE is also working on his becoming a Beaver Youth Scouter. To do that he must do all the requirements that an adult Scouter must do. He is working on his Woodbadge 1 course. (He has helped as a 'Kim' with the Beavers for 3 years already.

My daughter is also helping the beavers as s Kim. She is in her second year as scout and so far is a victim of the changes in the scout program. It is a mess and she has not gotten the new program badges she earned, and I have no idea where she stands.

My next daughter, in Cubs, earned her 6 star award (old program) in a single year. She has started to get a few of the new badges awarded.

My next daughter, in Beavers, has earned a few badges. Soon we need to figure out a service project for her Northern Lights Award as this is her last year in Beavers.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This seems like a great place to say my youngest son ranked to Eagle Tuesday night. Exciting. My 9 yo's GS troop is working on sewing pillows, transportation and had a service dog and it's human partner come see the troop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 9

This seems like a great place to say my youngest son ranked to Eagle Tuesday night. Exciting. My 9 yo's GS troop is working on sewing pillows, transportation and had a service dog and it's human partner come see the troop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Congrats to your son!

Youngest is not advancing.  He just isn't as into this new troop where he joined about 18 months ago.  He has one more requirement for First Class and he has been sitting on it for months and months.  In fact, he hasn't advanced for 18 months.

He has done several merit badges.  He has over half his Eagle required badges and all of his non-Eagle (or I should say he has enough), but he isn't going on as many outings, etc.....he honestly isn't really connecting with the boys much either.  Part of that has to do with him going to school now and making a lot of friends there.  The boys in his troop mostly go to his school, but they aren't his buddies at school.

I am sad to think he may be quitting after this summer.  He is in 8th grade and we are telling him he has to finish this year, get to at least First Class, finish up any "almost finished" merit badges, go to summer camp and get a few more, try to get Star, and then decide.  If he quits then, he will at least have enough to come back later and finish if he so chooses.

And we have told him he has to replace it with something......a sport, an activity, etc.....

But it makes me sad.  

The only troop he wants to go to is our old troop, which was HSing only, and he no longer HSs.  But he also knows the troop has changed drastically since we left so it wouldn't be the same anyway.  That makes me sad too.  

This may be the end of an era.   

• Like 2

Our GS troop did a big overnight hike. The girls were great. It got below freezing. After this first one, they are excited to go again for longer and longer trips. One of our girls carried her dad’s pack from when he did Philmont. Considering he’s probably in his mid-late 50’s, that pack has been around for a long time.

There is a Venture Crew out of our Scout lodge. We think most of the girls will join that and continue on their GS path, too.

The overnight hike was the last part of the outdoor journey for cadets, so we will start training for the Silver Award now. My DD, who has Celiac Disease is hoping to work with her pediatrician and the medical study she is in to help other kids diagnosed with celiac deal with it.

Having two very different leaders has helped our troop, I think. I am not outdoorsy, I don’t like to camp, so the other leader and an accomplished hiking mom take the girls on those things. I am comfortable anywhere in the city (and am very STEM-y) so I take the lead whenever we do urban, STEM or crafty stuff. We have been co-leaders for 8 years now, and our troop is doing great. We mix it up doing lots of different events every year so our girls get exposed to lots of stuff.

• Like 3

1 local MBU down (our SM runs it)- I taught for the first time. I did the Communication Merit Badge. I had a great group of boys (16 in total), I really enjoyed teaching. It was originally planned for a half day but we took all day (I'm not sure how it was possible for the previous guy to get it done in that time, the speeches alone take a good while at 5 min each). I even had 7 boys get a complete, I was really impressed with some of the work they did, some built some sharp looking websites for their Troops, one boy was just so eager to show me his. My dh is running an MBU in the spring and I'm already looking forward to teaching again. 

Ds finished his Citizenship in the Community badge (he's been working on the pre-reqs for a month or so) and yesterday he completed Personal Management (he started that 3+ months ago). He now only has 2 badges left (and 4 extra electives as of now) and almost has all his requirements for Life which he is due for in a few months. 

We were off a couple weeks in AHG for holidays. Tonight we're working on the Kitchen Scientist badge, I need to figure out what we're doing as I was focused on teaching Scouts and put this off. We're got awards coming up at our Christmas meeting I need to doublecheck any requirements needed to finish badges and make sure my 1 new girl has finished her joining badge (it makes it hard when they sporadically show up). 

• Like 1

My son finally got a project approved. I don't know why it's so hard to get people to call you back when you're wanting to volunteer to do something free for them. He's collecting toiletries and then making kits for a local homeless shelter. He'll finish this up a couple of weeks before he turns 18.  :hurray:

• Like 1

We're just hanging on here with so many other things going on in the fall.  Been skipping an average of 1 meeting per month.

Both kids finally finished their horsemanship badge, which should have been super easy for them.  One kid got her archery badge due to work at meetings  and at camp.  They are both up to date with required service stars.  They may or may not finish a couple of badges that the troop worked on where we missed some of the meetings.  It's up to them.  I can't worry about that.

With one kid crossing over this year, I need to make sure we don't miss things that she needs for that.  This coming Sunday is a mom-daughter event at the community theater, so we plan to attend that.

We have a lot of things that I keep saying we're going to do, but we just aren't getting to it.  The financial management badge, sports pins, other low hanging fruit.

Hopefully I have a better update the next time I post here.  :P

Ok I need project ideas.... for my 7 year old. Here is the main part of the requirement....

--

4. Plan your project, and assess/manage the risks.

a) Choose a project that matters to you and that you believe will matter to your community.

You can come up with an original idea for a service project, or brainstorm ideas with your Colony (including Scouters). Examples could include picking up litter at a local park, making care packages for armed forces members serving overseas or sending paper and pencils to a school in need in another country.

--

It might be something she can do on her own or with family.... or possibly with her Beaver Colony (ages 5-7).

This would be towards her Northern Lights Award (which has only existed for a bit over a year)...

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Dd (an AHG Pioneer) has finished Engineering, and is almost done with the Money Management badge. Their unit will likely finish Artastic before the spring is out. She will do Climb On at Camporee and will have most of the Theater badge done by the time her drama class wraps up for the year. It is nice when homeschool and scouts overlap and we can double-dip! Summer camp sign-up is in a week. 

By the end of this summer, she will only have one requirement left for her level award, to be completed by the end of next year! 

My Ds is a Web 1 in CS and enjoying it. He will go to resident camp this summer. He is a 10 yo 4th grader, so he will be turning 12 the summer he crosses over. He is ready for more independence now. Hoping to turn him loose on some of those electives next year, as a part of school, even.

• Like 1

Our GS troop is doing an eco camping workshop this afternoon for some Juniors. That will finish out cadette journey so the girls can start working on their Silver Awards. They have worked hard on this journey, including a backpacking trip in subfreezing temperatures in the morning mountains.

For her Silver, my daughter is planning to work with the people in a medical study she is in to create a children’s book about celiac disease and translate it into the different languages of the countries where the study is.

We are planning a cabin trip this spring, and then backpacking again in the fall.

• Like 1

I love that this thread is back! It's so neat to see what all of our Scouts are doing.

My oldest ds is trying to get his Eagle started but he's having a heck of a time getting people to call/email him back. So he's back to the drawing board for ideas. DS15's troop is back in the swing of things, trying to help the boys advance so that's nice. He's 1st Class and needs just a couple of service hours for Star (and the BoR of course).

My dd12 is thinking about her Silver Award. She's been super inspired by the kids at Parkland so is thinking about doing something with that but isn't sure what or how. But she still has time to figure that out.  DD10 is going to Emerald Bay for GS weekend this coming Friday so that's really exciting. Her troop is planning a lot of fun activities and outings. It's a good age in GS. And of course, they're both selling cookies.

Actually, for all of you experienced Scout leaders, I have a question. We have to drive 90 miles to catch the ferry to EB next week and have several drivers taking us up there. One driver is going on the trip but she is paying for it in full since she's only coming because she doesn't want her dd to go without her. (For GS leaders, we don't need her for safety-wise numbers, she's just coming on her own.) There are 10 people total coming, 8 troop and 2 non-troop. The troop girls are completely covered for the trip by troop money and parent donations. We are planning to split the gas 10 ways with the 2 non-troop people paying. The driver that is coming is balking at that, saying that drivers shouldn't have to also pay for gas and questioning how many drivers are taking us up there. Is it reasonable that the drivers also pay for gas? The driver-mom sent me a novel-sized text last night with her complaints and that's her main one. I get texts like that 2-3 times a week and pretty much ignore her but I want to make sure I'm being fair. We've never gone on a longer-distance trip (longest is usually 45 miles) before and I usually drive but have never been reimbursed. Thanks for your help.

We split the gas per person going.If we have 10 people going, 10 people pay. 

That said,we had a mom once who wanted to be reimbursed. Um, you only drove YOUR kid, dragged a trailer so YOU could boat, and then didn't stay with the troop. Um, no, no gas money back to you! We had an ASM pull that once too--only drove his kid, and then went off fishing the entire time. No reimbursement for him AND we charged him for food as he was counted in the food planning. 

We don't charge adults for food if there were only 2 adults and they HAD to go or the trip wouldn't happen. We often have adults that don't turn in their gas receipts and just cover it themselves. Thank you generous Scouters! We do have a rule that receipts must be dated and turned in within 30 days. We had a SM who would wait and wait. The parents thought their boys had money ahead and then bam, they didn't. Put an end to that one!

We're gearing up for the District awards celebration. I'm hosting, only I'm not going to be there! I have cataract surgery that day--oops. The awards are done, just waiting on certificate info so I can print. We have troop elections and OA elections on Monday. One boy is going to be disappointed as he STILL hasn't turned in his camping log so he's not eligible for the ballot. We have our CoH on the 12th, with Blue and Gold coming up in April. The troop is stomping snow tomorrow afternoon so as to dig the quinzees next weekend. The Webs are invited tomorrow, and if they don't show up, no AoL for them. They have to make Monday's meeting, too. I'm working on getting everyone registered for camp. The boys are getting ready for Northern Tier. I have a boy who needs to finish Dog Care today, so as to get it at CoH, but he's not calling and I've offered to meet with him at least 5 times. I hope the kid who isn't getting the script done for CoH gets on with it. I'm not writing it for him! He's going to be down to Monday morning to finish it as they'll get home from quinzee campout late Sunday. He's also supposed to be the camp cook--hope they have food! We're not going to Camporee as that's our weekend for Crossover and we have an Eagle project to finish. The OA boys will have to do the Callout ceremony at Crossover. And I have a young man down valley who is now down to 3.5 weeks before he ages out, and no Eagle project in sight! He keeps waiting for someone to hand him one and that's not going to happen. I shot down his first one--a finishing up of a Billion Graves project. Um, there are about 12 new graves in our cemetery--that's it. Not a chance to show leadership in 35 minutes one afternoon. We're breaking in a new Advancement Chair--it's been interesting!

• Like 1

My kids are partway to mostly done with a variety of badges - textiles, cake decorating, world heritage, Bible basics, zoology, stick shifts and safety belts ... I'm not really sure how much they got done as a troop.  My kids won't finish all of them because we are just too busy.

My eldest needs to finish a least one "personal well-being" badge, and who knows what else, if she wants to get the level award.  She has until March 22 to finish anything that is meant to count for the Explorer level.  Cross-over is sometime in April.

I finished teaching the "world heritage" badge.  It was fun, if stressful.  The girls, on average, researched their individual countries much better than I had expected.  We still have some individual stuff we need to do.

I'm drawing a blank on upcoming stuff.  We just finished the lock-in, but I feel like there was some other important stuff coming up.  I assume we will be camping in June as usual.  Haven't heard anything on that yet.  I guess I should be happy that nobody is asking me for anything yet.  :p

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

And I need to make the temporary neckerchiefs for Blue and Gold. We used to give out troop ones, but they're really expensive and we were losing boys that were not paying dues. I have a bunch of messed-up ones that I cut the silkscreen off of and applique them to bigger neckers. And that reminds me--I need more Wonder Under! I'll have to see what I have in my stash to make them out of. 

Trinqueta just got back from doing the lunch for our town's BSA mulch sale with her ship. A solid 6 hours of Sea Scout volunteer hours. She's almost done with her Apprentice rank requirements. She just needs some volunteer hours (either Sea Scout or community) and a swim test. I think she'll volunteer to help spread mulch at our sponsoring church and help open the GSA Mariner camp in a couple of weeks so she'll have plenty of Sea Scout hours and community hours, bonus that they'll be sailing related. She attended Sea Scout Academy in January on her own because her shipmates all go to the same school and had a conflict. She learned a ton of practical seamanship skills and had a good time even as a lone scout. I hope they do a summer cruise at Sea Star Base because the spring cruise doesn't fall during her spring break and it sounds like a great opportunity to sail a variety of boat styles. We'll see. If not, she'll spend a week at Mariner camp sailing sunfish.

• Like 2

My son has 1 requirement for Chief Scout Award... well it was to do a challenging program with Leadership, Citizenship, Personal Development and Outdoors. We have been trying to get info from the leader for a bit. Once he had everything else done, the leader said he could pick 4 badges he hasn't done that fit into those categories. My son has lots of badges.

Anyway, outdoors was looking like it would be a problem (almost all he has not done are water related... Sailing, Canoeing, White Water etc.... and he only has about 6 weeks left. Fortunately, the scouter approved him doing pioneering for this, and he has it 90% done already. The rest should work out ok. He is the last to earn this using the old program (there are no other scouts his age in our troop this year).

My youngest is finishing up her project for the new "North Star" Award in Beavers. She will be the first to earn it in our group.

My other 2 are kind of floundering in the new program. There is nothing for them to work on really. I'm not impressed.

• Like 1

My son has 1 requirement for Chief Scout Award... well it was to do a challenging program with Leadership, Citizenship, Personal Development and Outdoors. We have been trying to get info from the leader for a bit. Once he had everything else done, the leader said he could pick 4 badges he hasn't done that fit into those categories. My son has lots of badges.

Anyway, outdoors was looking like it would be a problem (almost all he has not done are water related... Sailing, Canoeing, White Water etc.... and he only has about 6 weeks left. Fortunately, the scouter approved him doing pioneering for this, and he has it 90% done already. The rest should work out ok. He is the last to earn this using the old program (there are no other scouts his age in our troop this year).

My youngest is finishing up her project for the new "North Star" Award in Beavers. She will be the first to earn it in our group.

My other 2 are kind of floundering in the new program. There is nothing for them to work on really. I'm not impressed.

I'm surprised that it's not laid out what he has to do. 

I'm surprised that it's not laid out what he has to do.

The requirement at that stage is that he is to design a challenging program in those areas, get it approved by the court of honour and do it. We do not have a running court of honour (which is kind of different in Cabada than it is in BSA.) I had been trying to get an idea of what the scope of this requirement since the fall. I honestly don't think the kids that earned chief scout in this troop did much (if anything?) for this requirement... certainly my son had no idea what they had done. Maybe the scouter had them do something similar.

The scouters seem to expect more from my son. (Yet, at the same time, they don't seem to fee he is capable at other times... sigh).

I saw what a couple of the boys did last year for the requirement for the presentation in Canadian scouting in the world... I know what my son did. The one scouter was going to make my son redo it, yet it was so much better. His concern was my son had glanced at the powerpoint screens he had made during the presentation. The main scouter approved it though.

The environmental project the one scout did last year, planting a butterfly garden, was totally arranged by a scouter. The planting was done during a camp and the scouter had to prod the boy to take the scouts out to do it. My son's was painting storm drains with yellow fish to inform people that the storm drains go straight to the river. I had to sign it as an adult, but he made the arrangements, and found workers, then found some for the backup date, then found ones when both dates were rained out. None of the scouts helped.

Most of the scouts get the minimum badges needed to get the award. I'm trying to figure out how to get 4 more badges on his sleeve.

Sorry, just venting. This is the last requirement. He also needs in this requirement 30 hours of leadership service... which I believe his scouter has approved his almost 4 years of working with the Beavers (scouts age 5-7). At least we know the finish line. I hope it doesn't move.

My daughter is kind of upset because there is nothing for her to do in the new program. She is finishing her 2nd year in scouts. There are 2 types of badges in the new program. Personal Achievement badges have no fixed requirements... she has to make up requirements and get them approved. They are totally optional and there are 16 of them. The other are Outdoor Adventure Skills (OAS). There are 9 of those with 9 levels each, and are used from Beavers (ages 5-7) to Rovers (ages 18-26). The new Chief Scout Award requires 18 OAS levels. She has, I think, 24 right now. The other requirements are basically to participate each year (do adventures in 6 'areas'). And then a project in her last 6 months. There is no challenge.

My next daughter is a cub. She still has another year. She needs to get something like 10 OAS for the new Seonee Award. She has 17 I think... maybe more. Everything else is like I said for scouts. There is no challenge left for her.

My daughter the 3rd year Beaver is thrilled because Beavers have badges now. She is just finishing up her project.

I'm worried that with the new program no more progress is going to happen and their scouting will become going to the bowling alley and the archery range. The OAS my kids have are mostly from translating what they had already earned to the new program. I think this new program is horrible... and we are stuck.

Anyway... sorry for venting.

Sorry to hear of the disorganization. How does that work--that a Scouter did the organizing? Isn't that the point, that the Scout do it? I spend hours and hours telling Scouts just that--that it is HIS Eagle project! I'm glad that ours is clearly laid out. When I'm questioned, I quote them chapter and verse. It's not uncommon for me to turn down a project; I shot down one two days ago. In BSA, the Eagle project canNOT benefit the BSA. So, the project the Scout had in mind won't fly. His first project idea would have taken about 35 minutes, one afternoon (he wanted to finish a Billion Graves mapping for our local cemetery--only it's already been done). So, no go on that one, but then he did nothing for 4.5 months. Not my problem. He ages out in 3.5 WEEKS. I had a discussion with his SM, but that was 4 days ago, and the boy hasn't contacted me. Oh well. 

• Like 1

My son is working on the last badge he needs, Sustainability, he's got about 3 wks of tracking left for it. BoRs are scheduled for 1 month and he will be eligible for Life Scout then, he plans on working on his Eagle project this summer. With dh's MBU he'll have enough for his first Palm and by the time summer camp is over he'll have another, although he is going to be taking some free time this year and will be helping out. 

Dh is starting an MBU in April at the local high school and has been working on that, sign-ups started a week ago and he is 2/3rds full I think. Their Troop is now the biggest in town and things are settling down, hopefully, with some experience under their belt this fall won't be as busy as the last. They just had another join last week from the old Troop due to disorganization and lack of advancement work. 

My AHG Explorers are finishing up cooking next week and then on to Engineering. This week is the Gardening Club is doing a Troop meeting to work on Gardening & Plant Science. I *need* to do a history badge with them to finish up the year but the girls aren't too enthused about that and honestly neither am I, I need to look at the options again. They study American History repeatedly in PS they really don't want to do it in their off time. 

My own girls have pretty much everything needed for their level awards, except earning their yearly service hours (they are supposed to be earned for each year). When you come every week it isn't that hard. 

• Like 3

I'm planning on doing Wood Badge (finally) this summer and one of my ticket items will be a MBU here. We're a long ways from anywhere, so we'll have to offer some pretty cool ones to get people to drive up. 

• Like 4

My AHG Explorers are finishing up cooking next week and then on to Engineering. This week is the Gardening Club is doing a Troop meeting to work on Gardening & Plant Science. I *need* to do a history badge with them to finish up the year but the girls aren't too enthused about that and honestly neither am I, I need to look at the options again. They study American History repeatedly in PS they really don't want to do it in their off time. 

My own girls have pretty much everything needed for their level awards, except earning their yearly service hours (they are supposed to be earned for each year). When you come every week it isn't that hard. 

That Engineering badge is a lot of work! It was our troop-wide badge this year. The newer badges are longer and more complex than many of the ones in the big handbook. 

The Heritage badges are all sort of bookish. Harder to get excited about when the spring is upon us. Everyone would rather be outside or do something more active. World Heritage is a fun one, if you haven't done that. Not American-focused. 

• Like 1

I'm planning on doing Wood Badge (finally) this summer and one of my ticket items will be a MBU here. We're a long ways from anywhere, so we'll have to offer some pretty cool ones to get people to drive up. 

Good for you, our SM did a MBU for his Wood Badge too, I cannot remember what dh did (that is bad, huh?). I'm not sure what spurred dh to start this MBU, like he needs more work to do!!! The STEM MBUs are popular, that or Eagle Required- of course, those require pre-reqs or homework but that should be expected. SM got an angry email from a Mom that her sons didn't get a complete for Sustainability at the MBU he taught at, utterly ridiculous, if you read the badge at all you should know you cannot complete that in a day, let alone a few hours.

That Engineering badge is a lot of work! It was our troop-wide badge this year. The newer badges are longer and more complex than many of the ones in the big handbook. 

The Heritage badges are all sort of bookish. Harder to get excited about when the spring is upon us. Everyone would rather be outside or do something more active. World Heritage is a fun one, if you haven't done that. Not American-focused. 

We did World Heritage last year and most of my girls were here for that. I did some of the work from Engineering as a hs science class so I've got some experience with it, I'm sure they are going to love it. ITA about the new badges, we did Pen and Paper Arts last year and it took us FOREVER!!!

• Like 1

And things are finally moving on. My ds15 had his Board of Review last night for Star and he passed! So yay!

• Like 4

My son is starting his Eagle project and working on a few of his required merit badges. The Eagle project is pretty ambitious, but something he really wants to do. He's had some issues contacting the person within the organization because the man has been on vacation, so the project is moving very slowly right now. 

My daughter does Frontier Girls as a Pioneer (independent) and I've been neglecting it lately. I want to get back to a regular time for activities and badge work. We did do SWAPS with two other Pioneers in other states and she always enjoys that.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of the disorganization. How does that work--that a Scouter did the organizing? Isn't that the point, that the Scout do it? I spend hours and hours telling Scouts just that--that it is HIS Eagle project! I'm glad that ours is clearly laid out. When I'm questioned, I quote them chapter and verse. It's not uncommon for me to turn down a project; I shot down one two days ago. In BSA, the Eagle project canNOT benefit the BSA. So, the project the Scout had in mind won't fly. His first project idea would have taken about 35 minutes, one afternoon (he wanted to finish a Billion Graves mapping for our local cemetery--only it's already been done). So, no go on that one, but then he did nothing for 4.5 months. Not my problem. He ages out in 3.5 WEEKS. I had a discussion with his SM, but that was 4 days ago, and the boy hasn't contacted me. Oh well.

Well, to be fair, Chief Scout is a bit lower than Eagle Scout. Scouts here are only up to age 14 (9th grade... so could be 15 before done). Equivalent to Eagle Scout would be the Queen's Venturer Award. So the projects are a smaller scale, but are (in the old program) a part of the World Conservation badge or Scout Environjent Award so must be environmental in nature.

But yes, they are supposed to be selected and organized by the scout. My view was as a parent / cub leader for the group. So I was at the camp as a cub leader. I also saw the emails as the leader arranged permission for the butterfly garden to be planted at the scout camp with the area scouter in charge of the camp.

The group doesn't work the way it is supposed to. Yet, it is one of the better ones in the area... sigh. They also have a no scout left out policy... they have bought our kids uniforms, helped with registration fees, paid for camps.

As I said though, they seem to expect more from my son, while at the same time expect less.... or see him as younger than he is. He had a lot of trouble last year as the other scouts... and the leaders... kept trying to send him with the younger scouts when they were working on badgework.

I haven't read through this in quite awhile, but we have been very busy with scouts lately. My dd13, a Cadette girl scout, just finished all paperwork for her Silver Award. She did it with a group of 4 other girls. It was a neat project. We will be doing a related field trip on it over Spring Break when the public schooled girls can go as it is only available during school/work hours. They will be visiting our state's Regional Food Bank that has large gardens. They will be working with the garden manager getting a tour of the gardens and doing some hands on composting. This relates to their Silver Project.  For their next badge (besides the Cookie Marketing badge we just completed in our meeting since we are in the cookie selling season here...) is the book binding badge which is a cool one. We will wrap that up over the next two meetings, have one overnight family camping trip, our council's award ceremony for the year and our troop's ceremony for the end of the year and be done for a few months over summer. 

My dd15, a senior scout, is working on her Gold Award. She has been working on it all year. She has gone before the committee two months ago, but her project was not fully approved at that time. She has continued to work on it with her advisors, and finally she got approved last week with a couple of caveats. So right now she is planning her fundraiser. She had to speak last night at our Service Unit's meeting to get support from other troop leaders and ask them to spread the word about her fundraiser night to their scouts. They were very supportive. We hope it actually works out that they will bring paying scouts to raise the money.  She is working on a Cookie Loyalty badge and she just finished the senior art collage badge in meeting times. She will go on the field trip and camping trip and our troop's award ceremony. She won't wrap up her her Gold Award this year, so she won't be recognized until next year. 

• Like 1