Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Granny_Weatherwax

You read the whole thread!?!!

I don't know enough about the new cub scout program to give suggestions. But ask for patches wherever you go. They are fun to collect. Also you might want to get the National Parks passport. It's a book that you fill with stamps of NPS places you have visited. Very cool for kids.

Btw, welcome to WTM!

Yes, all 19 pages! We do have those National Parks books - the kids version - and love them! Thanks for the reminder to bring those with us. And thank you for the welcome. I've been a member for a while but do more reading than posting.

• Like 1

Alessandra, I saw info about this hike in D.C. for Scouts (not sure if it's only Boy Scouts or just anyone?) that looks interesting!  I think this is it...  http://www.ncacbsa.org/activitiesevents/host-hike/ (I read about it in Boy's Life magazine: http://boyslife.org/features/141272/scout-history-tour-of-washington-d-c/  )

Hope you have a great time!

• Like 1

My girls are getting ready for the Sacagawea award (AHG).  Any wisdom for preparing for the Board of Review?

They also told me that the girls are on their own to do some sort of public display of AHG.  That's the only remaining requirement for the BOR.

We have about a month to finish the badges they have started and left hanging.  Also still hoping to get some sports pins.  Just the low hanging fruit.

My kids finally sent a letter to their pen pals.  We need to get more consistent about that.

The girls are signed up for a weekend campout with the troop (June) and a week-long campout for AHG generally (July), where they will do some Explorer-level badge work.

I hope to set up a regular volunteering gig for the summer to take care of next year's volunteer hours.

Congrats to your girls on the Sacagawea! 

When we do BOR for Tenderhearts, it is pretty low-key. They need to be in full uniform, know the Oath and Creed rock-solid, be ready to talk about what they liked and learned from their badge work, service, and other troop activities. They may be asked what they are looking forward to in the Explorer level. Our charter organization provides some space for displays. 

Camping and outdoor activities are the best! Amazing how these things reveal and develop character. Leadership, work ethic, attention to detail, teamwork - wow do these things (or lack of them!) show up fast when the girls are in an outdoor activity. We have a regional Camporee in late April and regional summer camp in July. Hoping to get some hikes and a canoe trip in too. Dd (an Explorer) is looking forward to the Outdoor Cooking badge. 

Our local parks (think big parks with acres and acres of woods, not just  a playground type park) have regular service opportunities each month for weed pulling, trail mulching, hauling limbs and debris etc. A regular day to visit at an assisted living center is nice too, because the it involves relationships and not just physical work. We play checkers or cards or just visit and the kids share their recent artwork or make some just for the residents. It can be hard to find volunteer opportunities for younger kids. I just sign up and bring Dd along sometimes. Meals on Wheels is a good family activity too. 

• Like 1

Alessandra, I saw info about this hike in D.C. for Scouts (not sure if it's only Boy Scouts or just anyone?) that looks interesting! I think this is it... http://www.ncacbsa.org/activitiesevents/host-hike/ (I read about it in Boy's Life magazine: http://boyslife.org/features/141272/scout-history-tour-of-washington-d-c/ )

Hope you have a great time!

I am not the one who asked, but those look like great hikes. Boston has something similar where your group does a certain hike, the Freedom trail I think, and then can apply for s very impressive medal, comparable to the ones for DC.

Thx!

DS just finished  his Cub Scout Bear Duty to God award. All his other required awards are stalled waiting for den meetings and mainly Spring campout.

He has finished most of Robotics on his own. We are waiting for April to go to our FIRST regionals and see people using robots. http://www.nationalroboticsweek.org/Events.aspx has a great list of National Robotics Weeks events at the beginning of April for anyone interested...

DS will probably expand on the Robotics activity badge to do the 1-2-3 Go! NOVA award next. He want to get a SuperNOVA award but that'll have to wait for Webelos.

• Like 1

I read through this whole thread this weekend and it was very helpful! My son is a Tiger Cub this year - six months in and I'm still figuring out how it all works. After reading all of the great things shared here, I went through the handbook with my son today and helped him check off all of the items he has completed. We then worked on a few activities that helped him finish off two more of his belt loops. I also went online and checked out some of the other items you all mentioned - NOVA, etc... and he is excited to try for some of those in the next few years. DH is an Eagle but started as a Webelos so this is all new to him too.

My daughter is a GS Junior this year. Her troop is somewhat non-traditional but it works well for her. She will be bridging to Cadettes at the end of this year but her current troop is sort of moving with her. The leaders only have 5th graders this year so they are going to stop having a Juniors troop and have a combined Cadettes/Seniors troop next year.

We are planning a trip to DC this summer and I thought it might be a chance for my scouts to pick up some fun patches or participate in other scouting activities. So far, I've found that there is a Boy Scout history walking trail we can do, that we can visit Madame Toussauds and see the founders of both groups, and that there are scout activities we could do at Mt Vernon and the White House Visitors Center. I'm wondering if anyone has other ideas for us for scouting-related activities on our own in DC? Thanks!

The Girl Scouts of the Nations Capitol has a patch program that took us to many great places that we wouldn't have thought of without the guide.

Here are the requirements:

http://www.gscnc.org/content/dam/girlscouts-gscnc/documents/Our-Council/Kits%20and%20Patches/nacap.pdf

And here is a link to purchasing the actual patch

http://www.girlscoutshop.com/COUNCIL-OWN-MERCHANDISE/NATIONS-CAPITAL-COUNCIL

I wasn't able to find the bars that went along with it online, but sometimes if you call that council they can ship them to you.

We did it when my girls were first grade Daisies and they still take out their binder from that trip to read about all the things we did four years later.

Edited by OrangeRabbit
  • Like 1

My son has only 2 requirements left to get his voyageur award.

One is demonstrate the arrangement of a safe/good campsite. He asked to get it checked off but was told to do it next camp. Really? He has been camping several nights a year for 2 years with the group and they never checked him off and he has to wait a couple of months?

The other is to show knowledge about the National War Monument, and about relatives that helped defend Canada. Dh, ex-military, wants to do it with him.... but it has been months. Grrrr.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

My girls are getting ready for the Sacagawea award (AHG).  Any wisdom for preparing for the Board of Review?

They also told me that the girls are on their own to do some sort of public display of AHG.  That's the only remaining requirement for the BOR.

We have about a month to finish the badges they have started and left hanging.  Also still hoping to get some sports pins.  Just the low hanging fruit.

My kids finally sent a letter to their pen pals.  We need to get more consistent about that.

The girls are signed up for a weekend campout with the troop (June) and a week-long campout for AHG generally (July), where they will do some Explorer-level badge work.

I hope to set up a regular volunteering gig for the summer to take care of next year's volunteer hours.

The poster can be very simple, but it's supposed to hang for two full weeks before BoR. We were able to hang ours @ charter school; some kids do it @ church. 

PenPal - they're supposed to exchange 5 letters....over a year, counting from when they got their girl's name, so it's a bit off-synch with the regular program.

Congrats to you and your girls!

• Like 1

The other is to show knowledge about the National War Monument, and about relatives that helped defend Canada. Dh, ex-military, wants to do it with him.... but it has been months. Grrrr.

As someone who's entire knowledge of Canadian historian comes from music, I found it interesting that the National War Monument supplanted the Peace Tower for WWI and later wars... I know its random having met folks from Queenston who find my knowledge of the Brock Monument queer...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted an update to this thread in a while. I'm so excited for my scout. He came home from Camporee today and was called out for Order of the Arrow! He will do his vigil in June. He was so thrilled. He will have his BOR for life scout this month, and only needs 3 more Eagle merit badges and then is finished with all the Eagles. He has more than enough non-Eagles, lol. I have to say, that this troop has been the best thing for him. He started scouts in January of his Freshmen year, when he was 14. He has worked so hard in order to have a chance at making Eagle. He will be 17 in June, so he has only 15 months left to work on it and I think he'll actually do it.

• Like 3

I've been following this thread for a long time but haven't posted until now.

I wanted to brag a little that my son just became an Eagle Scout! Given his learning challenges and long history of medical issues, we're extremely proud of him. 

Our only drawback is, now that he's turned 18, he's devastated that he's done with scouts. His scoutmaster has agreed to let him attend a few more campouts but we told him that, at the end of summer, he's all done.

• Like 10

I wanted to brag a little that my son just became an Eagle Scout! Given his learning challenges and long history of medical issues, we're extremely proud of him. 

Our only drawback is, now that he's turned 18, he's devastated that he's done with scouts. His scoutmaster has agreed to let him attend a few more campouts but we told him that, at the end of summer, he's all done.

Congratulations!  We are in the same boat with our oldest, special needs, etc....extra proud of him.

Our boys all have the option to become scoutmaster assistants and stay on in a leadership role.  Does your troop not allow this?  This allows them to go on campouts and attend meetings and still be involved.

We also have Venturing, although there is no way we can go because we have another event on that night.

• Like 3

My oldest is finishing up his term as SPL this coming week and has decided for various reasons not to run again. (School, we're going away for most of May and a lot of the summer, he's not going to camp with the troop.) He's had a great time and really blossomed as a leader--I'm so proud of him and he Scoutmasters consistently tell me what a good job he's doing. He joined this troop a year ago and became SPL 6 months later so he's done a lot in a little bit of time. We were in a very chaotic, not-active troop before this--it's amazing what a difference the right troop has made.

There's no real point to this, just pride in what he's accomplished these last few months. Now onto Eagle!

• Like 3

Why does he have to be done?  There is so much he can do.  He can be an assistant scoutmaster and continue enjoying his troop from the perspective of an adult. It may be a bit of a learning curve, he'll have to follow two deep leadership and not be alone with the boys, but it's a great way to stay active.

• Like 2

I don't have an active scouter at home anymore and I haven't been active in about a year.  I went with DS's troop to an MBU last weekend and camped with them this weekend. I worked with new recruits and taught hiking prep and took the boys on a hike.  I have missed being with the boys. We have much in common (which makes me wonder about myself sometimes) and enjoyed discussions about Naked and Afraid, Forged in Fire, and Myth Busters.  Well, we discussed scouting, too.

The troop wants me to sign on as an assistant again but I am hesitant.  I really need to think about it.  

• Like 3

Congratulations!  We are in the same boat with our oldest, special needs, etc....extra proud of him.

Our boys all have the option to become scoutmaster assistants and stay on in a leadership role.  Does your troop not allow this?  This allows them to go on campouts and attend meetings and still be involved.

We also have Venturing, although there is no way we can go because we have another event on that night.

Well, this was suggested by his scoutmaster but I'm kind of embarrassed to say I didn't know that Assistant Scoutmaster was a real position. I thought it was a title the scoutmaster made up to allow ds to stay active a little longer. Maybe we'll consider it since it appears it's actually a genuine position.

Our concern is that we want ds to start focusing on some adult goals (job, job training, etc.) and his troop is so active that he's always off to some fundraiser, campout, cookout or meeting. It's quite a time suck.

• Like 1

We just wrapped up a Merit Badge Fair campout with another Troop.

Oldest ds has *finally* completed Family Life (he opened the badge back in February 2013).  He also wrapped up all of the fundraising for his Eagle Project and is now making the final work-plan, ordering materials (some were donated), and lining things up to complete the dog park renovation in about a month.

Younger DS completed five merit badges (even completing that last photography assignment that took a year...).  We're going through the other open badges, so that he can work on completing them as well, having him set goals for getting to Life, and working through the Patrol Leader's Handbook.  He was also called out for OA over the weekend, and will be going to Ordeal in Florence at the end of May.

I helped teach cooking and Family Life, met some parents, chatted, and then went home to the girls (it was friggin cold...the wind was miserable, and I had a wool hat and my down parka on, not to mention, my girls aren't old enough to be left overnight).  

• Like 2

Well, this was suggested by his scoutmaster but I'm kind of embarrassed to say I didn't know that Assistant Scoutmaster was a real position. I thought it was a title the scoutmaster made up to allow ds to stay active a little longer. Maybe we'll consider it since it appears it's actually a genuine position.

Our concern is that we want ds to start focusing on some adult goals (job, job training, etc.) and his troop is so active that he's always off to some fundraiser, campout, cookout or meeting. It's quite a time suck.

Do you have men who help the scoutmaster and wear a uniform?  These are assistant scoutmasters.  My husband is one, so I sincerely hope it is a real position!  :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

My girls had their Board of Review for Sacagawea award last night and passed it.  (I was told they pass everyone who qualifies for BOR, but it is still a milestone.)

They finally finished their Constitution and Pet Care badges.  The Pet Care badge was done in PowerPoint and included an embedded Excel workbook, so I finally met my personal goal of getting them started with those skills.  :)

Still hoping to get some sports pins, but I don't know if that is possible any more before fall.

Crossover to Explorer is in a few weeks IIRC?  I guess I had better get the date right.  :p

Signed up for the Memorial Day Parade, which will be our first.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Our troop is hosting Camporee next weekend for 9 AHG troops and I am the registrar (oh joy). Still finishing up booklets for each level of girls. Still shopping for our skit boxes. (Since we're working on the Space Exploration badge, each level is going to act out some of the things they're supposed to learn about, plus the Pi/Pa girls will be putting together skits based on constellation stories.) I am still waiting for final payments from several troops, and making schedule changes. 

I will be so glad when this is successfully completed. Only 2 badge meetings after that, plus some boards of review, and then our court of honor in May.

• Like 1

Ds15 and I are working on his hiking badge!  Having so much fun finding trails aplenty near us.  :)  (We have a fabulous towpath trail that goes very far and a scenic railroad that lets you catch a ride down or back up the trail if you're a hiker or cyclist.)  

He has started and is alternating working slowly on astronomy, chess (met some requirements at the most recent campout), geocaching, hiking, journalism, and reading, and then some of the longer ones for Eagle when we can.  He's worried he won't reach Eagle and I don't blame him.  We are navigating it pretty much the two of us alone and the troop accomplishes very little at meetings.  He started so late, I'm sad!  But we'll plug away and do our best.  He's having a good time; I just wish he could enjoy it without having the anxiety about reaching the only end goal acceptable to him.  LOL

• Like 2

My 7yo daughter will swim up from Beavers to Cubs in a couple of weeks. My 10yo daughter will leap up from Cubs to Scouts the same night... she is trying to finish a few more cub badges before that. My son is still 2 requirements from the Voyageur Scout Award, our computer is not working so he can't work o n it, and I think the last badge night is Tuesday.... sigh.

Oh, and we have over 1200 chocolate bars to sell.... 44 cases of 30 bars each. Sigh. But they will pay for my son and daughter to go to Manypoint! Wish the exchange rate wasn't so bad this year....

• Like 1

My youngest has finished Cit in the Nation and is currently working on Personal Fitness (which he will finish in May). He has only 2 more Eagle required badges. He has been at Star rank for over a year and has finally made arrangements to finish up those requirements during the next few meetings and help on an upcoming Eagle project.

He wants to finish up so that he can focus on his band and music. We had a long talk about finishing what he started and he figures he can finish up Scouts in the 12-18 months and still have time for various shows and rehearsals.

• Like 1

My oldest just finished his time as SPL. They have elections every six months and while he would have loved to run again, we advised him against it. He has finals coming up in school and he's going to miss a lot of the summer for camps and family vacations. It just didn't seem fair to him or to the troop. But we were assured that he did a great job and are very proud of him. He's only been in the troop for a year and loves it. Such a difference from his previous troop which works well for my younger ds. He plans to work on his Eagle Project over the summer. It'll be the only time he has.

And my odd's GS troop is finishing up preparations to Bridge to Cadettes over the Golden Gate Bridge. The just need to finish all of their SWAPS (ugh)--each girl will do 100 and will probably run out with in a few minutes with all of the girls expected to be there. This is the troop's first big trip and we're all excited to go, but as their leader, I'm a little nervous and hope everything will go smoothly. They are great girls though and have been together since meeting in the same kindergarten class. Now out of the 8 girls they have spread out to 3 different schools and homeschooling. They'll have the summer to work on their Bronze Award.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My son finished up and was given his Voyageur Scout Award tonight! He is over halfway to the Pathfinder Scout Award, then on to Chief Scout Award.

My oldest daughter leaped up to Scouts and was invested on Thursday. She earned her first badge tonight. (Her cub uniform is full...)

My next daughter swam up to cubs and was invested on Thursday.

And my youngest daughter is a Beaver.... she will get a Blue Tail in the fall.

• Like 2

Now that the older two are finished with Eagle, we are searching for a new scout troop for my youngest.

He has visited two troops so far, but doesn't like either one......but I think he is looking for the SAME troop in a diff. location.

We are allowing him to visit all 5, but he needs to choose.  He will visit another one on Thur night.

I haven't visited this post in awhile, but it seems my husband is going to become Scoutmaster in the fall.  EEK! I know he'll love it, but he'll probably need a lot of behind the scenes help from me. My son was the only boy in his troop nominated for Order of the Arrow, so that's exciting too. His ordeal is in June.

I want to share our great news--4 new Scouts! And they all come with GREAT parents! We had 4 new Webs cross over, but one mom seemed to think the troop could happen whenever she felt like it. It was a problem because the Cubmaster and DL had dropped the ball and the boy barely met this whole year. Well, if you miss ONE meeting in our troop, you'll be scrambling to catch up--the boys have/will have camped 3 weekends out of the last 4 (if they're in OA). We have had several "special" meetings: fire house, pool, ambulance barn, etc. and we're about to switch to the park after 4 days of Memorial Day stuff. May is busy! So, we weren't doing the sad dance when the problem mom didn't follow through. We picked up another young boy, and the troop is back to 1/2 hsed, and we have enough dads for camp! Our older boys are going to Catalina, so it pulled lots of adults there--who can say no to SCUBA diving???? 

OA Spring Fellowship is this weekend--I'm really hoping ds can go, but it depends on if he gets his car fixed (coming from the opposite direction than dh and Scouts). Then on to camps and then we're hosting Rendezvous. This summer will be a blur. 

I have an Eagle book that should arrive tomorrow, so I'll need to schedule the EBoR--they're so fun to do! Great kid/great project. One of our boys will present his project on Monday and one will finish this weekend. One has a planning meeting this weekend--we're going to have a whole pile of new Eagles all at once. 

My 15yo went to Catalina last year and loved it so much that he wanted to work there this year. Unfortunately Philmont is right in the middle of summer so he couldn't give up the amount of time they wanted. Maybe next year. But your boys might meet one of the boys from our troop that is working there. Ods had an amazing time. It was the first Scout Camp he'd gone to that really felt like a Scout Camp.

We're planning to take our GS troop there for one of their GS weekends next year. I'm excited to see it!

(edited because my fingers can't tell the difference between a comma and a period.)

Edited by felicity

We've had a couple of busy weeks for both our Girl and Boy Scouts. 15yo DS was nominated for Order of the Arrow so that's cool! He is probably going to do the Ordeal the first weekend in June. I say probably because my dh and I will be out of town and it depends on whether he can get a ride. I can't ask his grandparents to drive him all the way out to the BSA camp in the desert. It's just too much for them to handle.

My 10yo DD Bridged from Juniors to Cadettes by walking across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. It took us three years of planning and a lot of convincing the parents to let the girls go so far away, but in the end it was awesome. The trip went flawlessly and I'd highly recommend the event for any other troop considering it. We flew up from San Diego but there were other troops from all over there. That was part of what made it so cool.

The other kids are kind of floating along. My 13yo DS is working on some of the longer Eagle-required MB--personal fitness, family life, and personal management. It's a lot of checking off chores and writing down $0 spent today. My Brownie (8yo) is working on some of the older, retired badges. They are a lot of fun and she'd done some cool things as part of them. I hate to sound like I'm bashing the GS program, but I think they are better.

• Like 1

Dd did a one-night GS backpacking trip on the AT last weekend. She met a through hiker who had started in Georgia in late February.

In late April, we did a GS car camping trip. And in mid April, we did a Venture camporee -- it went down to 21 degrees, but I had packed everything I own, so we had two sleeping bags each and kept warm.

This weekend, another Venture camporee. Then dd has a two day backpacking trip over Memorial Day weekend. All these trips are getting confusing, lol.

I just bought one of the Big Agnes Mountain Glo tents with built-in lighting for ds. Very cool. I love outdoor gear!

My dd's troop bridged to cadets and got their bronze awards. They worked with two animal shelters, raising funds, building foster puppy kits, and working with the cats at the local cat shelter. We are hoping to do our cadet journey in the spring so the girls have plenty of time to work on their silver awards. After a two year hiatus, I am back as leader.

We are also going to work a 5K that a local Girl Scout is putting on for her Gold Award to raise money and awareness for a brain cancer that her cross country coach died from this past year. It's a lot of work to start an annual 5K that is sustainable and raises money.

• Like 1

Getting ready for summer camping.  :)  Our last troop meeting for 2015-16 is this Thursday.  I'm told the kids will be learning knife safety.  They also need to finish up their fire safety badge work this week (should get this done tomorrow).  I believe they will be doing more badge work during camp.

Well, we are well  into our hunt for a new troop for my youngest.

He has pretty much until the end of June to choose.  Mid June he goes to camp with his current troop, so he will see that through, but then needs to start in with his new troop.

There are 5 troops within a 5 mile radius of us, and we told him he had to choose one of those!  So, last night he visited his 3rd troop and liked it!  

After visiting the first two troops that he didn't like, we realized that whatever school the area of the troop is designated is primarily the school the troop boys attend.   The first two troops were mostly boys from the schools in that designation.  Last night, the troop he really likes is the troop for HIS designated school where he will start next year.  I am glad he likes it because it may give him a chance to get to know a few kids before starting school.

There are about 45 boys in that troop, 12 of them just aged up.  That is larger than our troop, but about the same size as the previous two visits, so it seems to be the norm about here.

They are very active, and are going on a tubing trip this weekend, but since he hasn't joined yet, he can't go.

Does anyone know how this works?

Say he wants to switch over to this new troop.  But he is still signed up to attend camp with his previous troop.  Can he join the new troop now and still go to camp with the old troop or does he have to wait until after summer camp with the old troop?

We've run into an obstacle for ds15.  He is terrified of the water and trying to teach him some basic swimming skills is getting really tough.  He has almost no body fat and seriously cannot even float.  lol  Anyone have this issue?  Am I correct in thinking that he MUST pass a swim test to advance at some point (to what rank I'm not sure)?  :(  I've offered to get him private lessons and he's very MEH about the whole thing.

AHG Court of Honor completed!! Such a busy year (our troop put on first-ever regional Camporee for 8 other troops). Our roster of leaders for next year is ALMOST in place, and I actually have all my dd's badges sewn on her sash already. She earned SIX badges this year as a Pioneer!!! Very proud of her.

• Like 1

We've run into an obstacle for ds15.  He is terrified of the water and trying to teach him some basic swimming skills is getting really tough.  He has almost no body fat and seriously cannot even float.  lol  Anyone have this issue?  Am I correct in thinking that he MUST pass a swim test to advance at some point (to what rank I'm not sure)?   :(  I've offered to get him private lessons and he's very MEH about the whole thing.

There are particular advancement requirements that have to do with swimming and/or water safety. Also, boys who don't take and pass the swim test in our troop aren't able to attend summer camp, which is huge in terms of advancement opportunities and all-around fun.

I would *really* seek out someone who can work with him. Is there an ASM in the troop who teaches the swimming merit badge? Maybe if it's someone your DS knows or is at least familiar with, it will help.

Well, I'd stay signed up with the old troop until camp is over unless he can jump in with the new troop for their camp week. I think it would be awkward to go with the old troop if they knew he was leaving. If you do stick with the old troop MAKE SURE that his mb records follow him! And I'd get a printout of his previous records too, just in case the transfer is fouled up. You should get one once a year anyway, just to check for errors. It's so much easier to fix them right away. 

Can you check to see if he can switch to the new troop now and their camp? Of course, making sure that you don't lose a deposit.  :laugh:

He has to attend the camp with the old troop, that is non-negotiable.  It is 100% paid for and he is signed up for the merit badges he needs.  My guess is that that the key merit badges are filled in the new troop's camp.

The old troop knows he is leaving.  He is actuality getting kicked out.  It is a homeschool only troop and he is going to a B&M school this Fall.

ETA:  I was merely wanting him to go to start connecting, but it would  have to be in addition to his June camp with his current troop.

Edited by DawnM

On the body fat, does he swim in a rash guard? That can help, if it's a tight one, to help keep in some body heat. 

No, but I may get him one now that you mention it!  I really, really want him to get over his fears and learn to swim for safety.  We're not going to give up and I'm going to call the Y we just joined tomorrow to see if they offer private lessons.  (The bummer is that he needs to jump in water over his head and the deep end of our pool is only 6 feet, which is lame.)  

Ds joined scouts at 14 so I know the time crunch is REAL!  Thanks!