Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Granny_Weatherwax

Both boys are moving along.....

Older ds finished up his Cooking MB and is ready to take his Eagle Project proposal to Council for their signature. 

He has 1+ MBs to do and his project.  He turns 18 in July.

Younger ds (13)  had his Scout Master's conference for Star and will have his BoR in 2 weeks. 

• Like 2

My dd17 and I are kayaking/canoeing this Sunday with our Venturing Crew. It was originally a Crew-only trip, but many of the kids coudn't make it, so we invited the older Scouts from our brother (sister?) Troop and ended up with 6 youth, 5-6 adults attending. It is a Sunday-only event, not a full weekend as we were trying to accomodate some kids who's fall weekends are stacked with band competitions and performances at games.

• Like 1

Anybody have Juliette Gordon Low snack ideas for her birthday party?  This would be for a Brownie troop. :)

Have tea party foods. Apparently she loved tea parties. My Daisy troop is decorating cookies with white and green frosting to imitate the first GS cookies. That's all I've come up with. Or maybe a fruit salad with the different colored fruits standing in for the different parts of the Law.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

My little guy just started Tiger Scouts!!  We've been working on his Bobcat requirement and it hasn't been going as I expected.  We're supposed to read through a personal safety and abuse prevention section with him and discuss some "What if" scenarios.  The first one was "What if your friend's brother told you you could join his secret club if you take off all your clothes and wrestle with them?"  The correct answer, that I had HOPED he would say after all the talks we've had, was say no, tell your folks, etc. As soon as I finish the question he jumps up and shouts "I wrestle!!!!"  

*sigh*

So we're working on drilling into his little head the idea of privacy, personal space and KEEPING YOUR CLOTHES ON!!!!

• Like 2

This is a long shot, but are there any fourth-grade GS Junior troops that would like to have kind of an exchange with my troop? I'm not necessarily looking for penpals, but a troop that we could send stuff from our area and then you could send the same kind of stuff back. I guess like a sister troop. 

We'd love to do this with another troop, so if it sounds fun, let me know! Thanks.

My girls just joined American Heritage Girls (Tenderhearts - age 7/8), so they are working on their joining badge (will probably do this tomorrow, as they have the day off school).  They need to learn the oath and law and mission and all that good stuff.  I also have to figure out how to put the patches etc. onto their vests.  :)  Next meeting is this Thursday.

They (along with their troop) are working on a service project that involves making rainbow loom bracelets to be included in harvest boxes.  Since this can be done at home, they are doing a bit here and there as they have time.  We also plan to go help pack the harvest boxes in early November.

The girls are mostly done with their fire safety badge, so maybe they will finish that up this week too.  We'll see.

We just got the girl handbook and the girls are figuring out what badges they want to work on next.  They have a lot of experience with a number of the categories, so some of the badges and sports pins should be within their reach without too much trouble.  We need to figure out how their work is documented.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Younger ds (13) is now a Star Scout.

Older ds (17) had his project approved by council.   :hurray: 

He has to finish up Communications and Life Saving.  He's only got a couple requirements for each of them left.  

He'll likely wait until after wrestling season to do his project.  He has a deadline of May 1 to finish it.  

• Like 1

My girls (AHG Tenderhearts) have recently completed the requirements for the horsemanship, fire safety, and cooking badges.  Not sure of the procedure from here.  :)  We are planning an international family trip soon, so we'll probably work on a couple badges related to travel / foreign countries.  Thinking of how to work in Kid Care and Needle Craft badge work with family members during holiday get-togethers.  :)

This season we are going to a mother-daughter thing at a community theatre, and Christmas caroling at a nursing home.  We had to miss the Operation Christmas Child assembly day, but we put a couple boxes together at home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

DS interviewed for a summer camp position.  He was offered the job of assistant manager for the pool area.  This is the training position for pool manager. He's excited about it.  I wished he would have tried for more lucrative employment but scouting is good for him and is where he is most comfortable.  I was hoping he would try for a Philmont or Northern Tier position.  Maybe in a couple of years.

He has 6 weeks until he ages out. In that time, he has a couple of merit badges and a 5-day 4-night campout to complete.  The campout has been postponed a couple of times due to the sub-zero temps.  I think he's just going to have to grin and bear it.  He has the gear.

I can't believe his time as a youth is almost over. 

• Like 1

Just turned 17 year old is supposed to meet with the Troop Committee for Eagle Project Approval, but he is having a very bad Aspie day and pitching a fit saying he no longer wants to do this Eagle Project, he wants to do another one (um, too late!)

We were trying to write up a one page summary of his Eagle project but he just threw a 17 year old Aspie tantrum and stormed out.  He may or may not be meeting with anyone tonight.

Dawn

• Like 1

Just turned 17 year old is supposed to meet with the Troop Committee for Eagle Project Approval, but he is having a very bad Aspie day and pitching a fit saying he no longer wants to do this Eagle Project, he wants to do another one (um, too late!)

We were trying to write up a one page summary of his Eagle project but he just threw a 17 year old Aspie tantrum and stormed out. He may or may not be meeting with anyone tonight.

Dawn

I hope it works out in the end. Good luck!

We're still trying to get the badges the girls worked on in the fall!  It seems the leaders are really busy!  Time is getting short now.  Hopefully next week they will get through the sign-off for several badges.

The troop is gearing up for the Pinewood Derby in March.  :)  That should be fun.  And they are working on the "memory maker" (scrapbooking) badge during meetings.

Other than that, the troop is doing stuff that doesn't concern us much.  Father-daughter dance and cross-over ceremony.

We need to plant a tree to finish the environmental-themed badge.  This is, of course, suspended until weather permits....

• 3 weeks later...

My 14yo Star Scout is probably switching Troops. He wants one that actually does "Scouty" things (as he put it). We went to visit on Thursday and he really enjoyed himself and said it was plenty Scouty. He's going on their next campout in a couple of weeks and after that we'll make it official. I know that him leaving his current troop will cause hurt feelings and most people won't understand. I'm concerned about that, but ultimately it's what's best for my ds. It'll also be confusing because my 12yo will stay in the troop--they have different leaders and 12yo's leaders are really good. 

On the other hand GS cookie season is almost over! We had a terrible year of selling but my girls had fun and their troops have great things planned for the rest of the year. So that's good. 

Just a little update on my kids.  :thumbup1:

Well, just thought I'd join in, although I haven't read all the posts.

My famiy is very involved in Scouts Canada.

My dh is a Trainer.

I am Akela with our cub pack.

Ds11 is finishing his first year as a scout. He is a Pioneer Scout working towards hiis Voyageur Award.

Dd9 is finishing her 2nd year as a cub. She has earned all 6 stars and is working towards the awards.

Dd6 is a second year Beaver

Dd4 is looking forwards to joining Beavers in the fall.

Well, just thought I'd join in, although I haven't read all the posts.

My famiy is very involved in Scouts Canada.

My dh is a Trainer.

I am Akela with our cub pack.

Ds11 is finishing his first year as a scout. He is a Pioneer Scout working towards hiis Voyageur Award.

Dd9 is finishing her 2nd year as a cub. She has earned all 6 stars and is working towards the awards.

Dd6 is a second year Beaver

Dd4 is looking forwards to joining Beavers in the fall.

Is Scouting co-ed in Canada? I have heard that it is in some countries... I wish that was so in the USA! I have two daughters and two sons so it sure would be simpler for me if they could all go through the same program, even if the younger years were gender-segregated.

Pinewood derby is this coming Thursday.  I have been a slacker about this, but my dad worked with the girls on cutting out a shape, and I bought some stuff for decorating, and we're going to work on it this weekend.  I suspect we are going to look like wimps against those who are being serious about the race, but I don't care.

The girls finally got several badges signed off.  Now we are trying to finish several more before the season ends.  I should start looking into sports pins too.

I am thinking about having the girls do 4-H in the summer while scouts are not active.

• Like 1

Pinewood derby is this coming Thursday.  I have been a slacker about this, but my dad worked with the girls on cutting out a shape, and I bought some stuff for decorating, and we're going to work on it this weekend.  I suspect we are going to look like wimps against those who are being serious about the race, but I don't care.

We were always slackers with the Pinewood Derby. They usually worked on it the weekend before, if possible, but I remember quite a few late nights and painting that day. (Good thing we were homeschooling back then.) It worked in our favor though--my boys tended to place second, beating many of the dad-made cars but not so high that we went to the district Pinewood Derby. It was stressful at the time but now looking back on it, a lot of fun.

Good luck to your girls and I hope they have fun!

Is Scouting co-ed in Canada? I have heard that it is in some countries... I wish that was so in the USA! I have two daughters and two sons so it sure would be simpler for me if they could all go through the same program, even if the younger years were gender-segregated.

Yes, Scouts Canada is co-ed. I think the French organization - Scouts du Canada - is also co-ed. Girl Guides of Canada does still exist, so girls have a couple of options.

• 3 weeks later...

DD, an AHG Explorer, is spending the spring finishing out a couple of badges that she needs just one or two small things to finish. Her unit is working on the cooking badge, which she has already earned.

Next week we have some down time because of various activities cancelled for Holy Week so I am going to have her make a list of which badges she wants to work on during the summer. She will get lots of service hours.

She will earn 5 badges at camp and finish two on the spring camping trip. Woohoo for mom-free badgework! I love having a kid old enough to work independently on many things!

Tomorrow is the final badge sign-off for my girls' AHG troop.  I was planning to push a few more badges through (they already did most of the work), but I decided it wouldn't be fair to pile all that on the leaders on the last day.  So they will just finish the last requirement of the Caring for our Environment badge, for which they recently planted trees in our backyard.

I'm now glad my kids are stuck in tenderhearts one more year (despite going into 4th grade next year).  I feel like I only recently figured out how stuff works around here.

The troop doesn't do anything all summer.  I am seriously looking into 4H for that time frame.  They would work with my sister on her German Shepherd dogs.

Also I would like to do some low-hanging-fruit badge work.  Finish the 4 they are still working on, do theater (they have camps coming up), some physical skills, some sports pins, and any other easy tie-ins with their summer camps.  Plus I would like to get their 2015-16 service hours out of the way.

• Like 1

Well, it's taken ds a year, but he's FINALLY actively working on his Eagle.  He's finishing up his badgework and working on his project proposal, setting up meetings, filling out paperwork -- it's going to be a very busy summer!

Younger ds still hasn't gotten a single merit badge done, nor is he really working to finish up his first class rank.  He forgets a lot.  He has completed nearly 8 merit badges, but all of them have one or two (or three) little things still left to do.  I try not to nag, but I have taken away his electronics during the week and have essentially said, "if you're bored, you can work on your merit badge/rank requirements...no television/gaming during the week".

I have to work with the girls, but just when we get started on something, something else has come up.  But, we're getting stuff done.  I still need to figure out how to get all the paraphernalia on their vests/sashes.  

• Like 1

I am checking in on this thread...

Ds (almost 13) is a Star Scout. He will be eligible for Life in July (he just needs more time in leadership positions).   He says he would like to earn Eagle before he is 14. We'll see. ;)  I would like for him to push hard as the older boys in the troop are motivated and are a good peer group for him, but they only have a couple of years until graduation. His own age group isn't motivated to work on merit badges much.

Younger son is a Wolf. He won his unit's derby car race but I didn't take him to district.  Bad mom, I know. 

Dh is finishing up his Wood Badge stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...

My 11yo is 72% done his 'Voyageur Scout Award' today!  The requirements he worked on and got marked off today was all about goal setting.  His goal was to earn his Chief Scout Award by his 14th birthday - and included the main steps (with target dates) to get there, and more detailed goal dates for the rest of the Voyageur Scout Award (which is the current main step...)

Oldest sat before the troop committee to get his Eagle project approved.  Apparently he wasn't quite prepared so they want him to do it again in 2 weeks before going to counsel.  Sigh.  He has special needs and I think sometimes the troop leaders forget that.

Middle son has been mandated (by me) to get some more merit badges going, or at least finish his 3 outstanding ones.  He hasn't done much these last 18 months and because he is pretty much finished with everything up to the Eagle Scout project, but I need him to do something!

Youngest bridged over to BoyScouts 3 weeks ago and already has half of Tenderfoot signed off ON HIS OWN!  The other two we prodded and pushed.  Youngest is self motivated and just goes and does it.

• Like 1

How about what WE are working on in our kid's Troop? I ended up being in charge of our big troop fundraiser this year, a BBQ and silent auction. It is this Sunday, and we are expecting to serve over 600 plates! Things are going pretty well, but I will be the happiest woman alive come Sunday around 3 p.m.

• Like 2

Anyone take the NEW Venturing Leader Specific Training? Is it really mandatory? If it is, we're looking at six hours of driving. Ugh.

I am actually glad they have venturing committee training now. None of us has taken it yet, but I am hopeful that it will give us more of an idea of the committee's role at this level.

I previously took leader specific but it was all about the advisor role.

Camporee this weekend for AHG here. Over 200 girls and their families from all over middle TN. It is supposed to rain. Blah!

Dd is hoping it won't because she really wants to go canoeing and T-storms would nix that. We will be at the local BSA camp property so Ds (not yet in a scouting program) gets to play with all the other brothers at Cub world - big fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest (turning 18 in 2 months) did his Eagle Project today. He has a few loose ends to tie up to finish it, but it is done!!!

One requirement to sign off for Communications and then Emergency Prep to do. He had started Lifesaving (and should have finished it) before Christmas, but he is still suffering the effects of a serious concussion he got on 3/30 and he is not allowed to swim. So, he has to buckle down and get to Emergency Prep.

• Like 2

We had Camporee last weekend for four AHG troops - the largest one yet in NorCal. The troop that planned it did a GREAT job with organization & scheduling for the larger group. But I so do not want it to be our turn to plan next year's event, for which we already have two *more* troops interested in participating!!! Also, my troop's Explorers ended up repeating the very badge we'd been working on all year. sigh. They still had a great time.

I will be glad when this troop year is over as everyone on our board has been doing multiple jobs and we are feeling very stretched. Next year there will be more helping hands on the board.

• Like 1

My oldest (turning 18 in 2 months) did his Eagle Project today. He has a few loose ends to tie up to finish it, but it is done!!!

One requirement to sign off for Communications and then Emergency Prep to do. He had started Lifesaving (and should have finished it) before Christmas, but he is still suffering the effects of a serious concussion he got on 3/30 and he is not allowed to swim. So, he has to buckle down and get to Emergency Prep.

That's so exciting! What did he do for his project?

That's so exciting! What did he do for his project?

He removed pea gravel from the church playground and replaced it with mulch.  He painted the 4" high chain link fence around the playground.  He straightened, painted the posts and extended a low fence around the graveyard.

He had about 20 boys and 5 adults from the Troop helping him.   It was great.  I'm somewhat glad that he was unable to do much work and thus forced to be a leader and delegate what needed to be done.  

He was home from school again today due to neck pain and he wrote up most of his Eagle workbook and got started on his Emergency Prep MB.

When I got home he handed me stuff to use for his Eagle CoH - wow!

• Like 3

LegoManiac has his 2nd committee meeting tonight to go over his Eagle project (status report).  He is still meeting with various people to nail down what he can and cannot do during the project (He is renovating a sad dog park for the Italian/American community).  Because there are different people involved (park owners, park manager, park public works manager, US Navy representative), he has to get multiple people to sign off (or not) on the part of the plan that they oversee.  I've been reminding him to log his meetings (date, who he met with, what they discussed, and the time).  I'm trying not to be overly involved -- but more of a sounding board.  I've got enough to do!  He has just three more Eagle badges to finish up...Family Life, Cooking (all he needs to do is COOK), and Citizenship in the Community.  All three of these are so close to being complete...

PokeMan just earned his 1st class.  He is miles away from Star, though.  He finally received his first merit badge (Art), which he actually earned last March.  He still cannot seem to remember to get things signed off on.  He has about 8 merit badges open, but really needs to finish up 6 before the counselors leave.  

AHG Trailblazers...Boo is earning her beads as a Pathfinder, PonyGirl is finishing up her 6th Pioneer Badge, and Blondie is wrapping up her Level Up Award (video), and a few more badges.  PonyGirl will be working on her level up requirements to Patriot over the summer -- helping to organize events, etc.  

Ds getting ready for Philmont Cavalcade this summer, planning wilderness first aid and some horseback riding practice.

Dd is in a council-wide GS hiking program. Did two nights of camping with 30° nights, Getting ready for first of 2 backpacking trips. 

• Like 1

Middle son has been mandated (by me) to get some more merit badges going, or at least finish his 3 outstanding ones.  He hasn't done much these last 18 months and because he is pretty much finished with everything up to the Eagle Scout project, but I need him to do something!

Mandated? How do you do that? NOT being snarky. I would like to know.

My 14yo ds just had his first Court of Honor in almost 2 years (one of the reasons he left his old troop) and received his Life Scout Badge! It was a cool moment. He really likes this new troop and his enthusiasm for Scouts is super high at the moment. They are so active--it's a little jarring after his old troop where they haven't gone camping since at least December and there was never any information sent out. I'm now getting multiple emails each week and they have activities each week & camping each month. Also the troop leaders keep coming up to me to tell me how much they like my son. It's good to hear because he is very 14 and at home can kind of, well, be 14.

The 12yo is good with the old troop. Because of how our troop is run, he has completely different leadership and they are active. We did have a campout cancelled a couple of weeks ago because they couldn't find another trained leader to go with them. But at least they made the attempt. My ds is now working on the Game Design badge. (Literally while I am typing. :-) )

7yo dd just bridged up from Daisies to Brownies. I'm her leader and the co-leader is leaving for Japan the first week of June so we did it early so everyone could be there. Even then one girl missed it because the parents didn't tell us until the Monday before the bridging that she wouldn't be there. But my dd was so excited--shewore her new Brownie vest to church the next day so everyone could see!

9yo dd is just plugging along with her troop. They went to an encampment last weekend and dd came home on Sunday just exhausted and in a thoroughly bad mood so we had to tell her she might not be able to go to the next one. This is my child that falls asleep by 8:00 no matter what and where she is. She just needs more sleep than the other kids and being tired affects her more than some others.

Anyway, just a little update on my Scouts. 

• Like 1

I just had to share that LegoManiac has been making renderings of the items he's planned for the dog park...using LEGO digital designer.  :lol:

His project was approved (with much praise for the project being the best one that's come through to the committee in years), and now we move to fundraising.  This is going to be fun...

We have Blue and Gold tomorrow (Minecraft themed.) DS is getting in as many belt loops, pins, and electives that he can before June 1st. Since I'm advancement coordinator, I'm trying to figure out how my job is going to change this next year. DH is pack committee chairman, so he's working on getting some new leadership in place and recruiting new scouts. (We only have 20 right now, and 6 of those will be bridging before the new year truly begins.)

We went to the Life to Eagle seminar last night. Ds has the possibility of being a young Eagle--13/8th grade if he maintains his current momentum.

We went through the application last night. Who would you use as an educator reference if your child is not in any co-ops or outside classes? i asked the district advancement chair the question last night and he was dumbfounded.