Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Granny_Weatherwax

The requirements for the new Boy Scout merit badges were released today.

Here are the links:

Sustainability

and

Programming

I bet there will be a lot of confusion and questions regarding some of the Sustainability requirements.

The water usage requirement would be hard for us.  We've recently moved, and everything in our house is now low-flow.  We *almost* got green certification, but didn't due to some inspection our general contractor didn't get taken care of.  I'm not sure how much lower we could go with our water usage.  Shorter showers, I guess.  LOL, don't want to tell a 13 year old boy to take fewer showers!

Here are the links:

Sustainability

and

Programming

I bet there will be a lot of confusion and questions regarding some of the Sustainability requirements.

Stuff. Do A AND either B OR C.

A. Keep a log of the Ă¢â‚¬Å“stuffĂ¢â‚¬ your family purchases (excluding food items) for two weeks. In your log, categorize each purchase as an essential need (such as soap) or a desirable want (such as a DVD). Share what you learn with your counselor.

I could see myself sneaking "stuff" into the house, so ds does not record it... feminine hygiene products, underwear. 

ETA Ds got his blue card for Computers a few days ago, before Digital Technology is released. Ds does not have a cell phone,  blog/web page, or fb/twitter/etc account. I was concerned in case technology that we don't use is part of the new MB.

Stuff. Do A AND either B OR C.

A. Keep a log of the Ă¢â‚¬Å“stuffĂ¢â‚¬ your family purchases (excluding food items) for two weeks. In your log, categorize each purchase as an essential need (such as soap) or a desirable want (such as a DVD). Share what you learn with your counselor.

I could see myself sneaking "stuff" into the house, so ds does not record it... feminine hygiene products, underwear. 

ETA Ds got his blue card for Computers a few days ago, before Digital Technology is released. Ds does not have a cell phone,  blog/web page, or fb/twitter/etc account. I was concerned in case technology that we don't use is part of the new MB.

I'm not sure I see the value in some of this stuff. Managing the house is MY job. Yes, everyone needs to learn to do it but honestly... the time I spend grocery shopping and meal planning and furniture shopping or whatever is GROWN UP time in my house. The idea of dragging my DS into it all is a little repulsive to me. I'd be more tempted to buy 1000 condoms and sanitary pads just to skew the results. By all means, have the kids keep a log. But it's really no one else's business what I, as the adult, purchase on Amazon. I don't want to tell DS' counselor that I just bought a purple Le Creuset Dutch oven and organic white vinegar and on and on and on. Underwear... I'd buy a LOT of underwear during this time. :lol

Here are the links:

Sustainability

and

Programming

My younger son has signed up to do Sustainability at the end of August, but I think he'll change his mind after reading the requirements.  He already has Environmental Science, so he doesn't need Sust.; he just thought it would be cool to be one of the first people to get it.   And it would be, but I think he needs to concentrate on his open MBs.

I'll suggest that he finish up Family Life and Personal Management instead of opening Sust.   If he's set on going, I'll take him, of course - it's his choice, but with him a First Class Scout and wanting to get Star, he needs to finish up his Eagle-required badges.

According to Weather Underground, it's above 90 and feels like 106 at camp today - poor kid.  Thankfully he's in the pool part of the day!  I wouldn't be surprised if the boys slept outside tonight instead of in their Adirondack shelter. 

I'm not sure I see the value in some of this stuff. Managing the house is MY job. Yes, everyone needs to learn to do it but honestly... the time I spend grocery shopping and meal planning and furniture shopping or whatever is GROWN UP time in my house. The idea of dragging my DS into it all is a little repulsive to me. I'd be more tempted to buy 1000 condoms and sanitary pads just to skew the results. By all means, have the kids keep a log. But it's really no one else's business what I, as the adult, purchase on Amazon. I don't want to tell DS' counselor that I just bought a purple Le Creuset Dutch oven and organic white vinegar and on and on and on. Underwear... I'd buy a LOT of underwear during this time. :lol

I think I'd probably just list the things that actually affected my son, rather than everything that came into the house. Except for the three different random purchases I'd make at Victoria's Secret. Those would be prominent on the list. But that's just me.

Actually I'd probably steer him to one of the other requirements. But I'd want to list the VS purchases (the first in many years).

• Like 1

I had to let all the Scout mamas and dads know that we went and had dinner with ds at summer camp tonight. Is it possible for a kid to grow up in 3 days?  He seems more mature!  He's having such a great time and proudly gave us the grand tour. I actually think he's going to be a little sad when Saturday rolls around.

I just had to share with some folks that will understand :) .

• Like 4

I'm finally seeing progress from my boys, anyway.  Older ds's two best scouting buddies had their Eagle boards this month!  This has inspired ds to finish 2 required merit badges (just 1 left -- no progress on that one ... blue card has been open about a year), and he has finally picked his project and is working on getting a first draft of the first set to the Eagle Coordinator before we leave for our family reunion.  He's also gathering materials for some pre-fundraising while we're with relatives who will likely be willing to give once the time for collecting money comes.  (He's re-doing the warehouse space for our church's food truck to the poor/food bank program, and adding a handwashing sink and replacing and relocating the industrial ice machine.)   

Little guy has had his Star scoutmaster conference, but the boards of review got caught up on discussion of a scout whose board decided that he needed to work on some things for a second time before getting Life.  (To make it worse, he's a child of divorce, and one parent is supportive of the board's decision, and the other is unhappy with the committee over it.)  The committee guy who sets up the boards of review offered ds one outside of the meeting, but our vacation put a wrench into that plan, so likely the week we get back (no big rush, he's barely 12 1/2, and his desired leadership position for Life is Den Chief, which won't start until the Cubs start meeting in September, anyway).  He does have his non-required badges for Life, and has 3 required ones open/started/in various stages of completion, though none are signed off yet, but should have no problem getting there by March.  The more difficult thing for him will be demonstrating the scout skills -- he might have to have a scoutmaster come watch him with the cubs, since our troop has NO sixth graders for the coming year ... politics -- the cubmaster took the last Web II den to another troop with him ... new Cubmaster now, and the Den leader of the new Web II den has a boy in our troop and they have had one of our new Eagles as Den Chief since they were Tigers ... they're a big group, and will probably be two patrols worth, come February.

• Like 1

Is it possible for a kid to grow up in 3 days?  He seems more mature!  He's having such a great time and proudly gave us the grand tour. I actually think he's going to be a little sad when Saturday rolls around.

I just had to share with some folks that will understand :) .

I think so.  DS always seems a bit more mature after having been away from home for awhile.

I am so glad he is having a good time.

Our council approved DS's NOA - Camping segment.  :D   I was happy they told me since DS is at Jambo.  I don't know why I was thinking they would wait to tell us  but it was in the back of my mind.  They told me that they are backing DS 100% because, if he completes it, he will be the first in our council to earn the medal.

He has many requirements to go but I honestly think he can do it if he stays focused. I hope he stays focused...being 16 and a junior in high school will have its distractions. :auto:

• Like 3

Younger ds came home with 6 completed MB - swimming, space exploration, oceanography, basketry, fingerprinting and textiles.  He also earned First Class while there.  He is so excited.  He is planning on being Star by the end of the year.

Older ds didn't do so well.  They changed the schedule and he couldn't fit in a 2 of the 4 required MBs he had planned to do.  He got partials on the other 2 - not too bad, but not what he expected.  He felt like the week was a waste of time.  He is the ASPL and he was very frustrated with the adult leaders lack of help when the little boys wouldn't listen.  He'll be having a discussion with the SM and ASM at the next meeting.  He'll do the talking, but I'll be there for support.  I know his attitude is part of the problem - he and the SM have very different and opposing personalities - but there has to be a way to improve things. 

Younger ds came home with 6 completed MB - swimming, space exploration, oceanography, basketry, fingerprinting and textiles.  He also earned First Class while there.  He is so excited.  He is planning on being Star by the end of the year.

Older ds didn't do so well.  They changed the schedule and he couldn't fit in a 2 of the 4 required MBs he had planned to do.  He got partials on the other 2 - not too bad, but not what he expected.  He felt like the week was a waste of time.  He is the ASPL and he was very frustrated with the adult leaders lack of help when the little boys wouldn't listen.  He'll be having a discussion with the SM and ASM at the next meeting.  He'll do the talking, but I'll be there for support.  I know his attitude is part of the problem - he and the SM have very different and opposing personalities - but there has to be a way to improve things. 

Our troop has an active Committee Chair who has often stepped in as an extra person in difficult discussions. Would this work with you? Sorry your older ds had a difficult time.

Ds has completed the requirements/worksheets for Chess and Computers mbs. So now he has to COMMUNICATE that he has done this. That will be the hard part for him.

For computers, ds tried programs that were new to him, rather than the word processing/spreadsheet options. We got SketchBook Express (free), Google SketchUp (free), and FileMaker Pro 12 (30 day free trial, but I LOVE this program and am SO tempted to buy it). Just for fun, ds wants to try WordPress for blogging and Sandvox for web design. He wasn't much interested in using those as part of the requirements, as he had little interest in making Scout-oriented blogs/webpages.

Next up is working on Citizenship in the Nation.

Our troop has an active Committee Chair who has often stepped in as an extra person in difficult discussions. Would this work with you? Sorry your older ds had a difficult time.

Unfortunately, our CC has the same personality as our SM.   However, a couple of the ASMs will be able to help older ds with the discussions.  One of them will step up.

• Like 1

DS submitted his application for Eagle yesterday.  It was quite the process.  He is the first one in his troop to use the new application and follow the new procedure.

No one in the area knew what should be on the Life Ambition and Purpose statement or how long it should be.  DS wrote about a page (single spaced).

He took his completed application to the District Advancement Chair who told him he needed to photocopy all of the blue cards for the merit badges he was using for Eagle, include before and after pictures of the project and take it to the Council Service Center an hour away.  No one knew about these requirements since our District hasn't had any Eagles this year (2013).

We photocopied everything DS had and he slipped it all into a report cover.  We drove the hour to Council where the woman looked at the application to verify it was complete and then told DS she would call the District Advancement Chair and tell him it was ready to be picked up and that the DAC would call DS to schedule the EBOR.

The silliness of it all astounds me.  We live 10 mins from the DAC.  We had to drive an hour to submit an application for a 5 minute review and now have to wait who knows how long before the DAC can get the application.  He already told DS it would be awhile since he wasn't planning a trip to the Council.  I sure hope someone brings it to him or that they mail it.

• Like 2

DS submitted his application for Eagle yesterday.  It was quite the process.  He is the first one in his troop to use the new application and follow the new procedure.

No one in the area knew what should be on the Life Ambition and Purpose statement or how long it should be.  DS wrote about a page (single spaced).

He took his completed application to the District Advancement Chair who told him he needed to photocopy all of the blue cards for the merit badges he was using for Eagle, include before and after pictures of the project and take it to the Council Service Center an hour away.  No one knew about these requirements since our District hasn't had any Eagles this year (2013).

We photocopied everything DS had and he slipped it all into a report cover.  We drove the hour to Council where the woman looked at the application to verify it was complete and then told DS she would call the District Advancement Chair and tell him it was ready to be picked up and that the DAC would call DS to schedule the EBOR.

The silliness of it all astounds me.  We live 10 mins from the DAC.  We had to drive an hour to submit an application for a 5 minute review and now have to wait who knows how long before the DAC can get the application.  He already told DS it would be awhile since he wasn't planning a trip to the Council.  I sure hope someone brings it to him or that they mail it.

Council does not seem helpful, friendly, courteous or kind, do they? 

But congrats on the Eagle so far!

ETA Sorry about this comment! Reading further on, I see that I am even more clueless about Eagle procedures than I had realized. Ds, after all, is only 1st Class at this point -- he's still thinking about the service hours for the Star award -- no comparison!

My son is the first one in the troop to go thru with the new app too. He e-mailed as well as hardcopied. It was apparent at the project approval stage that members had used the e-mail copy.

I'd suggest, if your council has a yahoo group, to put up a request that anyone going the way of the DAC bring it over to him, or meet him at a council event.

Did your ds scan all of the blue cards?  Did he attach the pics to the emails?  No one even mentioned to us that emailing was an option.  I guess that's what happens with a bunch of older adult scouters. Many of these guys still don't have email accounts and a few do not have cell phones.

Can you explain the bolded part to me?  What members? 

My daughter finally got everything submitted for her Gold Award Proposal.  She's excited that it will actually tie in with the work she did for her Silver Award, but with a bigger actual impact.  Now, I'm just hoping she can actually get it all done while also keeping up with her difficult courseload this year!

• Like 4

I'm the DAC for our district and I'd need to see the hard copy of the blue cards in their books. When we sit for EBoR, I don't want to make a hard copy for the members--it needs to be there already. Same with life purpose.

Of course we need before and after pictures of the Eagle project--our district takes over 8 hours to drive from one end to the other--I can't be driving around looking at them all! And it would be ridiculous to expect my entire board to do so. Besides, doesn't the boy want to put in a nice article in the paper, showing hard-working boys with the final project? That's the fun part!

I wasn't implying that they should drive around looking at projects.  If my statement reads that way, I apologize.

The new book is SO streamlined compared to the old--it's really simple.

The Eagle project book?  It is my understanding that only pages 19-20 are to be turned in with the application.  Does your council require the entire book to be submitted?

I have several folks in outlying areas to do a last book check before it goes to Council. Unless I can meet the boy at OA or something, I'm not going to drive 4 hours to look at a book! It's easier to find and correct mistakes BEFORE it goes to Council. If the boy doesn't have anyone nearby, we sit on the phone, going over page by page. Had one just yesterday, at his check--he was missing his inspection sheet. I can go over each page, reminding them--did you do this? Do you have this? Is this line filled out (it gets missed a lot). We have pretty good books turned in from our district and it's due to a lot of hard work! I'll have one arriving on Monday and then two EBoRs to schedule!

What book are you talking about?  DS was initially told to print the online application (2 pages; 3 if you include the Life Statement) and submit tpages 19-20 from the Project workbook.  That's it.  It was only after the DAC said to photocopy the blue cards.  No where else did it say these were requirements for the application.

What is an inspection sheet?  Where can I find it?

My daughter finally got everything submitted for her Gold Award Proposal.  She's excited that it will actually tie in with the work she did for her Silver Award, but with a bigger actual impact.  Now, I'm just hoping she can actually get it all done while also keeping up with her difficult courseload this year!

Alright. Spill it, Mama! What is she doing?

DD is working on her bronze this year. This is her first year being a Junior. Our troop's going to be working with our local animal shelter. I dropped the paperwork off this week for the people to look at and prioritize what they need. The shelter wanted towels and food and DD laughed and said, "Dream bigger! We'll do that too but we want a REAL project!!"

I started DD early on her first journey because I wanted one kid under my belt so she can help everyone else.

Ds just got back today from his first full week at Cub Scout camp. When asked if he was at all homesick his reply was Ă¢â‚¬Å“no, but now IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m campsick.Ă¢â‚¬ I guess thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a success. :) 

• Like 3

Alright. Spill it, Mama! What is she doing?

DD is working on her bronze this year. This is her first year being a Junior. Our troop's going to be working with our local animal shelter. I dropped the paperwork off this week for the people to look at and prioritize what they need. The shelter wanted towels and food and DD laughed and said, "Dream bigger! We'll do that too but we want a REAL project!!"

I started DD early on her first journey because I wanted one kid under my belt so she can help everyone else.

For her Silver Award, she got involved with environmental impacts of fracking and learned about the really poor air quality in our area, so she's working on a project to improve air quality using plants and working with Master Gardeners to develop a "pass it on" approach to propagating and distributing these.  It's a nice mix of her Bronze and Silver.  For her Bronze, her troop worked together to start a community garden and then built wheelchair accessible raised beds for a local nursing home. 

We've certainly had trouble finding the sustainable type projects that aren't a one-time deal.  Good luck to your daughter and troop!

• Like 1

Somewhere in the process, the Eagle Candidate is generally expected to have a uniform inspection. The form is online. http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34283.pdf It's possible that your Council will not require it.

Our Eagle list is here:  http://www.wccbsa.org/program/eaglesnest/advancmentforms

Very nice.  Thanks for the link.  I can see your boys are well prepared for the EBOR.

Just popping into this thread to say that next week we will have our Eagle CoH for our family's third and fourth Eagle Scouts! We got FOUR Eagles in less than a year - not an easy feat, lemmetellya!

This is wonderful!  Congratulations to all of your boys!

And my 15yo is a full time counselor at camp this summer, teaching metalworking.

Yay!  DS was a CIT for a tad.  He loved it.  I hope your DS is having a memorable experience.

But alas, it seems our time in BSA is coming to a close as our troop is dissolving as a result of the national membership change. When we come back from our foray around the country, I'm not sure if we will seek out another troop, go along with whatever our old troop is changing over to, or quit altogether. Still praying for guidance on that decision.

:(  ((hugs))I am sure you will make the decision that is best for your family.

My DH and son, along with 12 other boys and 3 other adults, left for Camp Baldwin (Eastern Oregon) this a.m.  The entire troop will be working on Horsemanship while there in addition to several other badges of choice.  My son plans to finish up Swimming, First Aid, and Environmental Science as well as see what else interested him during his time there.

My DH and son, along with 12 other boys and 3 other adults, left for Camp Baldwin (Eastern Oregon) this a.m.  The entire troop will be working on Horsemanship while there in addition to several other badges of choice.  My son plans to finish up Swimming, First Aid, and Environmental Science as well as see what else interested him during his time there.

Horsemanship -- that sounds like a fantastic experience!

• Like 1

When does everyone start back, if you break for the summer? I'm almost as excited to start back with scouts as I am to start back to school.

We never got a break!! DS' pack met all summer long between Nova work and parades and community service for our charter organization.

DD's GS troop is new and enthusiastic so we met either monthly or twice monthly throughout the summer. I loved this because I got to know the girls really well this summer.

We do weekly meetings for both troops so scouting will take up my Tuesdays and Fridays. Our den meetings start the first week in October. I'm trying to figure out if I should start the GS troop that week too or go for it at the end of September.

• Like 1

DS is almost done with NOVA, emergency prepardness, national summertime, leave no trace and wildlife conservation. He completed messengers of peace earlier this month. As it stands he is looking at earnung 15 belt loop/pins this summer! He has been on a roll and can't wait for regular meetings to start back up. We have 2 more summertime pack events plus a belt loop bonanza where he plans to earn his whittling chip.

• Like 2

Yesterday was an eventful day for my Boy Scouts.  My little guy finally got his Star Board of Review.  

My older one had a lunch meeting with his Eagle Advisor, and he gave him a lot of homework to do on his project paperwork.  He also got Cit. in the Community signed off.  So now, he only has Personal Fitness (which he needs to re-start for the 3rd?  4th? time *insert exasperated mom of teen eyeroll here* -- it's now the long pole in the tent), along with the project, which should go fairly smoothly now that he has picked one.

Little guy is signed up for a Merit Badge Fair where he's going to work on Robotics ... it's all day one day, which eliminates all other badge possibilities for the fair, but it's the direction he might head career-wise.  He has his Eagle-required badges for Life already open and in various stages of completion, and is close to his 8 non-required for Eagle.  His dad will be teaching Cit. in the Nation for the troop starting next week, and I'll be teaching Cooking for those who need it after that, I think (the SPL wanted me to do it sooner, but it's easier for me to do when my youngest has church classes during the school year).  He needs to finish E. Science (started at summer camp) and Cit. in the Community (he is close on this one, I think).

• Like 1

DS is almost done with NOVA, emergency prepardness, national summertime, leave no trace and wildlife conservation. He completed messengers of peace earlier this month. As it stands he is looking at earnung 15 belt loop/pins this summer! He has been on a roll and can't wait for regular meetings to start back up. We have 2 more summertime pack events plus a belt loop bonanza where he plans to earn his whittling chip.

Talk to be about your son's NOVA!!! Isn't that the coolest thing in the world? Did he do NOVA or is he going for Super NOVA?

I could have spit nails when our CM told me last week that BSA was thinking of getting rid of it. Your DS must be a Webelo, right?

We're going to finish our wildlife conservation pin and beltloop today.

We're doing the math portion of NOVA right now. I want NOVA done before fall!!

Talk to be about your son's NOVA!!! Isn't that the coolest thing in the world? Did he do NOVA or is he going for Super NOVA?

I could have spit nails when our CM told me last week that BSA was thinking of getting rid of it. Your DS must be a Webelo, right?

We're going to finish our wildlife conservation pin and beltloop today.

We're doing the math portion of NOVA right now. I want NOVA done before fall!!

He is going to continue onto SuperNOVA but must finish NOVA first lol. He is a Bear this year. We are really enjoying it and it helps that he as able to complete some requirements at Resident Camp and at Day Camp. 

• Like 1

Older son just became Quartermaster

Middle son just elected Patrol Leader.  -- He's SOOOO close to finishing first class, I'm trying to get him to complete it, so that the leadership as Patrol Leader counts.  

Hubby just became ASM and MB Counselor.  

There is a HUGE amount of drama going on with the SM. The parent committee went nuts demanding changes/improvement on several issues and made the Committee Chair go to him (they're best friends so the committee chair was NOT happy about it)-- now there's all kinds of drama and attitude flying.  It's BAAAAD and I think the next committee meting will be really bad.   Hoping things calm down fast.  It's stressing me out!  

Isn't it amazing how a few days changes one's perspective?   

When the boys returned from camp, dh got the impression from the SM that they were not pleased with older ds.  However, upon talking to older ds and the SM, no one was upset with him.  Ds was projecting that on the SM, probably because ds was disappointed in himself for not doing more at camp.  The schedule was not changed; ds decided that since none of his buddies were doing xyz, then neither would he.  And since he didn't need to do abc (where his buddies went) that he'd just hang out at camp until lunch.  No one seemed to care that ds didn't sign up for things in the morning (which is disappointing to me, but really, the boy is 16 and should have done it himself).  

As far as getting the younger boys to listen, the SM and I still disagree on that point - oh well!  But, he's given ds some suggestions on dealing with it.

Since camp, ds has started his last requirement for Cit in Community.  He's planning on finishing up Personal Management quickly as well, but he needs help setting up the spreadsheet for requirement 2 (dh will help him with that).  All that's left after that is Emergency Prep., Communications, and Cooking and his Eagle Project.  Ds is planning to be done by the end of next summer (he'll be 17 then).  I had really hoped he'd be done by Christmas so he wouldn't have to do Cooking (since he pretty much has done all the requirements, but never opened the Blue Card), but it's his journey!

Younger ds was supposed to do Search and Rescue this weekend, but he got invited to the beach.  Since there was a waiting list, we gave his spot up.  He also decided to skip Sustainability at the end of the month - he still has Family Life and Pers. Management open.   He turns 12 soon and his updated plan is to be Star by Christmas and Life by this time next year - Eagle before he turns 14!  Big plans and super- motivated.  He sees his brother struggling and doesn't want to be in the same position.  

He is going to continue onto SuperNOVA but must finish NOVA first lol. He is a Bear this year. We are really enjoying it and it helps that he as able to complete some requirements at Resident Camp and at Day Camp.

DS is a Bear this year too! We're going to have to compare and contrast how this year goes for us.

Our CM is the NOVA mentor for this area so it works out awesomely for us. He's coming over for wine on Saturday night and we'll be able to show him our latest work.

When DS does a belt loop, I make him finish it out and do the pin at the same time. We frustrate our CM a little because this slows us down. And I make DS go VERY slow and really learn this stuff. We have a mom in the pack who actually does the work for her son and that drives me up a wall!!!

We're doing technology right now. And along the way, we are doing the science and math belt loops and pins because we're going to need those for Super NOVA anyway.

What did your Bear do for the project in the first section? We did water testing of our local watershed and formed a hypothesis that is was in reasonably good condition due to all the amphibians we have in it. So I made DS really get what a hypothesis was compared to just a regular old guess. It was a neat way to really dig into the science of how to think.

We bought ds a new uniform shirt - I guess when you get your first shirt at the age of 12 and you are now 18yo and 6'2", you are ready for a new shirt! Pants are on the way from Amazon, and I got his patches transferred to the new shirt. Eagle recommendation letter is done and in the mail tomorrow. Now all that's left is to go get him (he's in NC), have him review some things in the car on our family trip, and get him to his BOR next week.

• Like 3

He actually hasn't done any projects just yet. Those are on the schedule for August. With all the camps and activities he has been knocking out the belt loops/pins/visits and discussions first. He is talking about doing an experiment on water erosion so we will see. I am actually working through the planning tonight to finish getting him to the rest of his visits. We only have the mathematics belt loop and pin plus the pins for science, astronomy and geography left. Then we will finish up some of the project type work and meet with his NOVA counselor to present what we have done. After that we will work on SuperNOVA during the year. He also has some fun belt loop/pins he wants to finish 

• Like 1

We had a community service project today for CS. We helped older people at a community picnic. I live in a region that is descended upon in the summer by tourists and by this time every year, the locals are MORE than ready for the fudgies to get out. Started out the picnic by dealing with a drunk driver at 11:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

Other than the drunk driver, it was good fun. It was the 121st anniversary of this picnic. It's kind of a cool community thing to do but I suspect it will die off in the next 5-10 years.

We got a ton of Nova work done this week! And DD is working on her first Journey badge. I have a GSA training day next Saturday and then a GS troop meeting on Sunday. Then we do one more summer time meeting (we're going for ice cream and the park) and then a few weeks off until meetings start at the end of September/beginning of October. I cannot believe this summer is almost over!!

Our local GS center cancelled a training for girls last week that was actually the kind of stuff GSA needs to do - it was a camping training class for beginning campers. So the girls would have actually been outside and working on building their own campfires, etc. They wanted 25 girls to attend but only 10 signed up so they CANCELLED it. Our local GSA has very low attendance because we were hostilely taken over 3-4 years ago and they cancelled everything at the last minute for years. No one signs up for anything anymore and thus they cancel everything. I cannot seem to make them understand that the council is perpetuating the dang cycle by not allowing stuff to go on, even if they don't have the numbers they want. The council's attitude seems to be, "If we don't hit a magic number, to heck with them!" They don't seem to understand that they have to repair the damage they've done for YEARS to girls and leaders but if they run with integrity, some people will come back and some will sign up new. Frustrating!!