Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Granny_Weatherwax

My son just left for camp this morning. Had to drop him off at church at 3:30. This year he's working on the following merit badges: swimming, camping, fingerprinting, archery and orienteering. His troop did the 50-mile hike last month. It's been a busy summer for him.

• Like 1

Could he go with a friend who is a member of a trap club? The NRA encourages youth members--they pay the registration fee (a few dollars) for youth to join our PeeWee shooting club. Ds finished up his Shotgun mb at an OA turkey shoot. He contacted the mbc beforehand and had everything done except the actual shooting. They were able to finish up that day. There were boys there who weren't OA brothers--it was open to all Scouts. 

We are in such a non-hunting area -- suburbs near NYC. We don't know anyone with a shotgun. Further west in NJ, it all changes. I drove dd to her scout camp in northwestern NJ this weekend and we saw gun/ammo/archery signs right on the main streets. Our Council has no shooting sports that I have ever seen, except at summer camp, while the Council to the west of us has weekend programs all year for archery, rifle and shotgun.

But I did find this place while googling. It is only an hour from us, which is probably as good as it's going to get for our area.

http://www.thundermt.com

Apparently you can walk in and shoot trap and skeet and they provide the guns and some instruction. 

Margaret, do you know -- is trap shooting what scouts do? At scout camp, ds used a 12 gauge shotgun of some kind and shot at some kind of moving targets. If he wanted to practice, I thought he could try this place and then get a mb badge counselor to finish up. What do you think?

ETA I also found this place, but it sounds more self-defense oriented than sports oriented.

http://gunforhire.com/shotgun-courses/

I'd love any opinions as I am not at all knowledgeable about guns or shooting sports.

Around here, it all seems to be trap rather than skeet. It used to be a requirement that it was 12 ga. but it looks now like they can use 20 ga. Could you do the Hunter Safety part and find some folks to help that way?

Thanks, Margaret.

I think we will try the trapshooting/skeet shooting place. Trap is easier than skeet, right? It sounds like that was what they did at camp. Ds has done all the safety requirements, checked off on blue card. He just wasn't able to hit enough targets accurately to get the required shooting score. He also earned the Rifle MB a few years ago.

Ds is good at rifle and archery-- just got his first bow -- so I think he expected shotgun to be easier. He was looking forward to shotgun, but is a bit discouraged now. We will see how the practice goes.

His camp uses 12 gauge. Ds thought they were bolt action. Personally, I didn't know there were so many different types of shotguns until I read the mb pamphlet.

DS made it home from his seven week stint as a summer camp counselor!  He is tan, muscular and more fit.  He seems more independent and confident.  He had a few days off during the seven weeks and came home to do laundry, get caught up on his college mail, check AP scores, etc. He awoke one morning, announced he wanted to get his driver's license and, upon passing the driving test, drove himself back to camp.  [He has Tourette Syndrome and has been a bit anxious about driving on his own.  He had his permit for two years but had never wanted to take the driving test.] 

I am proud of him.  Camp was quite the learning experience; he struggled a bit but he stuck it out and has grown in numerous ways.  He tries to live up to the Eagle code and the Scout Oath and I can see how he is maturing and becoming a wonderful man. 

He learned that being a counselor/leader means that sometimes decisions have to be made that the younger scouts won't like and, as a result, will complain to other adults.  One young scout refused to behave properly at waterfront.  He would splash other scouts, remove his watershoes and purposely tip over his boat (or the boat of other scouts) and sink it.  On day three, after two days of trying to be kind but firm, DS felt he needed to dismiss the boy from the merit badge.  That is a big decision and the only time DS felt it was necessary all summer.  He called my husband and discussed the situation.  DS was upset that he couldn't help the scout to behave and felt responsible for the scout's misbehavior but he wanted the other scouts to have a good time during the merit badge and this one scout was ruining it for everyone.  DS spoke with his supervisor and found out the scout had complained about DS but when questioned as to why he was dismissed the supervisor sided with DS; the scout had broken the rules and had been given multiple chances.  DS also found out that other counselors had been having difficulty with this particular scout.  It made the situation easier for DS to accept.  He still isn't happy with the outcome; he wishes he could have reached the scout and made a difference.

At the end of the season staff party, DS was invited to return as a counselor for next year.  He is honored they extended this invitation to him.

Now that camp is over and he has three and a half weeks until school begins, he is planning two outdoor activities for his troop and will be going camping this weekend.

He submitted his application to earn the National Outdoor Award - Aquatics segment and is awaiting the Council's decision.  Since he completed the Mile Swim at camp and served as a Waterfront counselor, when added to the hours he already had for aquatics, he had enough on the water hours to apply for the Aquatics segment with a silver device.  He submitted copies of his aquatics merit badges and SCUBA records with the application and is hopeful it will be approved.

He is working diligently to earn the National Medal for Outdoor Achievement.  He has one merit badge left to complete, Backpacking, and of that he has one requirement left:  the 5 day, 30-mile trip.  I hope he can find the time and scouts to get it done before he ages out.  He has eight months but with school starting in three weeks and the approaching fall and winter, I wonder if he can do it.

---

I love reading about what your scouts are up to. 

• Like 4

Ds had a wonderful day at Thunder Mountain, the trap and skeet range I mentioned above. Super clean and family friendly, with nice seating for the non shooters. Ds had a great instructor who gave hime good tips and kept score.

Ds told a little more about his mb at camp. Each boy got only three shots, then it was the next boy's turn. Unless a boy hit all three, in which case he got to continue. Sort of a case like the rich getting richerĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ kwim? Ds only fired 25 rounds in camp, mb requires 50. No wonder he thought he was a failure. 

So I dragged him up to shoot. He was so negative, UNTIL he hit his first clay. Wow, did he smile when the first clay shattered! He did 50 rounds in all and improved markedly as he practiced. The instructor told him he was a natural and now he can hardly wait to get back. Failure was turned into success, and I am happy too! 

A nice plus is that the range is in the middle of a glorious state park with a botanic garden, swimming/boating lake and trails.

• Like 3

DS made it home from his seven week stint as a summer camp counselor!  He is tan, muscular and more fit.  He seems more independent and confident.  He had a few days off during the seven weeks and came home to do laundry, get caught up on his college mail, check AP scores, etc. He awoke one morning, announced he wanted to get his driver's license and, upon passing the driving test, drove himself back to camp.  [He has Tourette Syndrome and has been a bit anxious about driving on his own.  He had his permit for two years but had never wanted to take the driving test.] 

I am proud of him.  ...

He submitted his application to earn the National Outdoor Award - Aquatics segment and is awaiting the Council's decision.  Since he completed the Mile Swim at camp and served as a Waterfront counselor, when added to the hours he already had for aquatics, he had enough on the water hours to apply for the Aquatics segment with a silver device.  He submitted copies of his aquatics merit badges and SCUBA records with the application and is hopeful it will be approved.

He is working diligently to earn the National Medal for Outdoor Achievement.  He has one merit badge left to complete, Backpacking, and of that he has one requirement left:  the 5 day, 30-mile trip.  I hope he can find the time and scouts to get it done before he ages out.  He has eight months but with school starting in three weeks and the approaching fall and winter, I wonder if he can do it.

---

I'm proud of your son too. Those are great accomplishment, working at camp and facing his anxiousness to get his driver's license. Way to go. 

I have a question about the National Outdoor Award. Does the time he worked at camp count as the time spent applying the skills learned inn the merit badges (requirement 4) or as time spent on those activities under BSA auspices. I had never heard of that award until your post.. My son has spent the last two summers working at aquatics at summer camp plus he went to SeaBase. So, he could have the hours. I know he has the merit badges required. 

Thanks for the heads up. I will show this to him when he gets home; he is still working at summer camp. He plans to get his license as soon as he gets home. There wasn't time this summer as he was only home one night. I picked him up the night before he left needed to be at a different camp.

When he got home last summer, I noticed all the things you mentioned plus he was accustomed to waking up at 5 a.m. That didn't last long. 

DS made it home from his seven week stint as a summer camp counselor!  

My ds is finishing his last week working at summer camp this week.  Then, he'll be home for about 2 weeks, and off to college for his first semester.

This is his 3rd year to work at camp all summer, and he was the skills area director this year.  It just so happened that our troop camped there, too!  It was very special for all in the troop to see their former SPL at work again (he aged out last September), but it was especially fun for his younger brother and I to see him in action.  I was one proud mama, for sure.  I told every staffer I ran into that I was Zach's mom!   :D

His experiences working at camp have been fantastic.  He has made some great friends, and experienced a camaraderie that is very special.  Plus, all the workplace skills he has learned... and not many 18 year olds can say they've been in a supervisory position.  It has been so worth it even though the pay is stinky.

• Like 3

Yes, DS's on-the-water hours as a counselor count toward the segment. He counted the hours for kayaking, rowing and the hours in the pool.  None of the lifeguard hours counted, nor did any of the 'classroom' time for the merit badges. He averaged 9 hours of on-the-water time a week; that was for three merit badge classes.  Some weeks were better than others due to lightening, rain, etc.

He also completed the Mile Swim while at camp but I do not know if he counted those hours.  That would have added at least 5 hours (4 one hour practice sessions and the actual mile swim).  I honestly think he quit writing once he had enough hours to earn the silver device.

Isn't Sea Base wonderful?  DS has been to all three high adventure bases and Sea Base is by far his favorite; it's also the one at which he spent the most time so that may be a factor.

I hope your DS completes all of the requirements and earns the award. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the awards.  I have spoken with BSA HQ many times to clarify the requirements.

Brought d back from summer camp this morning. She went for two weeks. (I brought her home between weeks.) She says that she wants to go for four weeks next year!!

The counselors are super, super nice. The last campfire on Friday night makes a lot of girls cry, apparently. Last week, dd almost teared up, but a counselor held her hand. This week, other girls were weepy -- dd said there were some sad songs, but couldn't name them. In any case, the camp is so friendly!!

I can hardly believe how different GS camp and BS camp are.

• Like 2

I sent my scout off to camp Sunday morning, at 3am eeek! It's his first week-long camp with BSA (he's gone away to church camp before). I'm so proud of him. It's tough being an older boy who starts scouts "late". He just joined last January at age 14. It's a big learning curve for all of us. He was super excited about the merit badges he signed up for; swimming, kayaking, wood carving and environmental science. He's hoping that during free time they can do a 5 mile hike with a compass, LOL. It's his last 2nd class requirement.

• Like 2

Ok, this is a bonkers question. I could just ask one of our troop leaders, but I'd like to know now before I forget it again.

Does a scout leader need to watch everything my son does in order to check it off?

He could get his swimming requirement easily. He's got most of it done and just has a couple of things left. I could watch him do laps tonight after swimming lessons to finish them up.

Do I need to have an Official Scout Person there to check him off?

Does every thing he does need to be checked off by an OSP?

Thanks!

(still a newbie Scout mom)

Ds is back from camp and had a blast.  He earned his swimming, archery and fish & wildlife management.  He still needs one more requirement for emergency preparedness which he already texted the scoutmaster about doing at the next meeting.  He'll be awarded something to add to his walking stick at the next meeting too.  Something about best spirit in the troop.

He has finished all the requirements for second class and first class except the board of reviews but they won't do it until the other boys who crossed over with him need to do theirs because they want them to all rank up together.  He doesn't even want to work on anything anymore after hearing that.

• Like 1

Depends on the troop-- they all have different rules. Son's old troop didn't count ANYTHING if they didn't see it.  And if the kid waited too long to get it signed, they wouldn't count that either...  (bad, bad, bad troop for many reasons)

New troop-- and most troops in our area-- has some things they prefer to see but others the boys can do on their own and come in and discuss.  Especially if they do it with another scout so they can vouch for eachother.  **The one "rule" is the boys need to go to an ASM before they do anything on their own and get permission to do it.  If they don't it usually doesn't count.  The ASM's want to make sure they are doing it with the right instructions, the right safety, and if it's a requirement they can do on their own.

My third scout just did his 10 animals in our neighborhood with his camera.  Printed them off and took them to troop to get it signed off.  He had asked permission to do this weeks ago and got it signed off yesterday.  No problem.

The scout (not mom or dad) needs to tell the ASM that he would like to do the swimming requirements on his own and ask if they would llike to see a video of it, or if him discussing it will be sufficient.

Ok, this is a bonkers question. I could just ask one of our troop leaders, but I'd like to know now before I forget it again.

Does a scout leader need to watch everything my son does in order to check it off?

He could get his swimming requirement easily. He's got most of it done and just has a couple of things left. I could watch him do laps tonight after swimming lessons to finish them up.

Thanks!

I'm sooo excited!

Son #1--  is now starting the eagle process!  FINALLY!  He's been life for over 2 years now.  The only MB he has left is cooking.  

Son #2-- is Star rank.  He needs to really work on some MB's though.  

Son #3-- Is one requirement from Tenderfoot (fitness test part two) and he is done with 2nd class except scoutmaster conference/BOR.  He's also only 4 requirements away from 1st class.  Got 5 merit badges at summer camp too!  IF he can get the fitness test done by August 15th, he'll make the august BOR for Tenderfoot and 2nd class.  If not, it will have to wait until September BOR.

• Like 2

Thanks!

BSA is supposed to be boy led. My advice would be to get yourself out of the loop asap. In our troop, the SM will ignore that kind of parental input, or send you an email or whatever telling you to have your son contact the relevant person.

So, in your case, your ds should tell SM, or other scout leader that SM has designated, that he can do xyz swimming requirements. They will figure out the next step. But, in the well run troops that I am familiar with, you would only do your ds a disservice by getting involved.

It is a learning curve for most parents, lol. I remember that I used to reply to an email about whether or not ds would be at an upcoming meeting or event. It is so EASY to shoot off a quick reply. Instead I had to hound ds to reply. It took about 4x as long as if I had replied. But the system is supposed to build responsibility into the boys, and it does -- eventuallyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

Good luck!

Here is something from the BSA Guide to Advancement that may be relevant. (Btw, the advancement guide is a good thing to become familiar with. It is available online.)

4.2.1.2 The Scout Is Tested

The unit leader authorizes those who may test and pass

the Scout on rank requirements. They might include his

patrol leader, senior patrol leader, an assistant unit leader,

another Scout, or the unit leader. Merit badge counselors

teach and test him on requirements for merit badges.

I wanted to add that Bear level Cub Scouts should be the last time parents sign off on kids requirements. Webelos use den leader. Boy Scouts use SM or someone he designates.

• Like 1

Does a scout leader need to watch everything my son does in order to check it off? No, he doesn't need to personally oversee every little thing but he does need to give the okay to begin the requirements.  For rank advancement, the SM needs to be 100% in the loop about what the boy is doing.  Parents cannot sign off on rank advancement requirements.  For merit badges, the SM gives the scout the okay to begin the Merit badge and then the scout should work with a merit badge counselor who will oversee the completion of the requirements.

He could get his swimming requirement easily. He's got most of it done and just has a couple of things left. I could watch him do laps tonight after swimming lessons to finish them up.  If this is for rank advancement, yes, a registered scouter needs to verify completion.  If it is for the Swimming Merit Badge, the merit badge counselor must verify it and sign off on the blue card.

Does every thing he does need to be checked off by an OSP?  Everything in the scout's handbook must be signed off by either the SM or an assistant scout master.  Parents may not sign off on requirements.

Thanks!

It gets easier after a couple of months.  As long as you are a supportive parent and encourage your son to keep working  toward advancement and enjoy scouts, you both will be fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DS's application for the Aquatics segment was approved.  This puts him one step closer to the National Medal for Outdoor Achievement.

He is struggling with a few of the reqs, including the 5-day backpack requirement for the backpacking merit badge.  I really wish we could have sent him to Philmont for a summer trek but it never fit our budget or schedule.  :(  The problem he is having is finding a group of scouts to take the trip with him.  99.9% of the boys in our council who earn Backpacking MB use a Philmont trek for that requirement and no one wants to take the time off from work or other activities to go out for 5 days.  I have even offered to pay for all gas and food for any two scouts willing to go.  So far bribery isn't working.  ;)

He also has to plan two outdoor activities and so far they have fallen through.  He was supposed to take a troop on a 3-mile hike followed by flat water kayaking on Monday but the scoutmaster cancelled due to lack-of-interest by her scouts.  We initially had 8 boys register and all but 1 dropped out by Sat.

We contacted our DE and had a meeting with her yesterday afternoon and she said the problem is council wide.  Lots of programs have been rescheduled or cancelled due to low registration.  :(  She is excited to see DS trying to finish this by reaching out to other units and proposed DS take over our District's Webelos in the Woods program for October.  WITW is usually run by an adult committee.  The committee chair had some personal issues and is unable to do it so it was gong to be cancelled.  DS agreed and is going to give it a try.  My baby will be running a District Event!!  And he's going big - a canoeing and kayaking event.  This entails so much extra work:  Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, lifeguards, swim tests.  He put together a verbal proposal and went to the District Committee meeting last night (the timing for this was awesome) and they approved the main ideas and gave him a rudimentary budget.  He also had three adults volunteer to help with WITW so he has a small staff.

He's sitting in the living room designing the WITW 2014 patch.

He has 7 weeks to pull together a Boy Scout staff, hold an orientation meeting and design and distribute fliers and registration forms. Not necessarily in that order.

He says his experience working at summer camp teaching kayaking, rowing and canoeing makes this easier for him to plan.

I hope he can pull it off.

If you know of any troop doing a 5 day backpacking trip this fall, please let me know.  I will ship my DS wherever I have to in order for him to earn that MB.  ;)

• Like 2

He has finished all the requirements for second class and first class except the board of reviews but they won't do it until the other boys who crossed over with him need to do theirs because they want them to all rank up together. He doesn't even want to work on anything anymore after hearing that.

No, no, no. That would not fly here. Boy Scouts are self paced. If a boy is motivated to move quickly that's great. If a boy wants to go at a slower pace that's great too. It's actually very motivating for a scout to see someone he bridged with earn rank before them. My son and his friend bridged together and they are never more than on Court of a Honor away from catching up. I know, without a doubt if they had to wait for each other to both finish neither would be motivated. Both boys are 12 and 1st Class and should be Star by the end of the year.

• Like 1

No, no, no. That would not fly here. Boy Scouts are self paced. If a boy is motivated to move quickly that's great. If a boy wants to go at a slower pace that's great too. It's actually very motivating for a scout to see someone he bridged with earn rank before them. My son and his friend bridged together and they are never more than on Court of a Honor away from catching up. I know, without a doubt if they had to wait for each other to both finish neither would be motivated. Both boys are 12 and 1st Class and should be Star by the end of the year.

I agree.  Boy Scouts is self-paced and your son should be granted a BOR when asked for.  He needs to approach his Scout Master and ask for a BOR.

Sorry we didn't hear of this sooner--he could have contingented with our troop--they had room in their Philmont trek. 

Thanks anyway but this year was one of those years when it neither fit his schedule nor did we have the funds available.  I don't know what it costs to get to Philmont from CO but in our area the price tag for a summer trek was just over $2000.  It's one of the reasons we chose a winter trek last year.  The winter trek was only $600 for two people.

It was the Scoutmaster who asked for it to be that way. Well they had the board of review yesterday. Except I didn't get the text the night before saying it was going to be the next day. They are well aware that my phone for some reason doesn't get mass texts. Of course their response was something along the lines of better luck next time. Uniform is typically the troop t shirt so he wasn't prepared. It kills me because Sunday morning I was picking ds up from a camp out and I asked about it and I was assured no board. Ds is heartbroken, especially since he wasn't allowed to run for any leadership positions because of this and elections are only twice a year. But he really likes the other boys and doesn't want to switch. Luckily we move in 10 months so one way or another we will be done with them by then.

I agree. Boy Scouts is self-paced and your son should be granted a BOR when asked for. He needs to approach his Scout Master and ask for a BOR.

My AHG Explorer just finished her cooking and golf badges. Working on service stars now. Waiting to see what her unit will be working on this year before we jump into anything new in the next few weeks. She has set her aim on the Stars and Stripes award and so is steadily working on the badges required for that because they will be easier to do at the Pioneer/Patriot level if she has earned them as an Explorer.

• Like 1

I think I'd be chatting with the Unit Commish as this point...

I'm concerned about making things worst for ds. I know the board will not look kindly on him if they get involved. I feel the scoutmaster lost interest once his ds got eagle and it has all been downhill from there. I convinced ds to go look at other troops in the area so we will see how that goes. There are a lot of other problems with the troop.

My ex-boss works at the council office now. I know he will use discretion if I ask him to and at least try to fix things without dragging ds into it but going to him is a last resort.

Guest CandieM

We just did our first overnight last night! Granted, it was just sleeping on a minor league baseball field but we still had fun and it was a great intro to camping for our girls. 

This summer we earned the Fair Play and Making Friends badges as well as most of My Best Self. As soon as we do our Take Action project we'll also finish our first journey. I'm really enjoying being a co-leader and my DD absolutely loves her new friends. 

We are going to Camp Alexander in CO next summer! Outr troop went to San Isabel the year before my older son crossed over.

Do you have any words of wisdom about Alexander? The website looks great, and makes me think it's a well-run camp.

We've camped at Bear Creek Scout Reservation in Hunt, Texas, 3 times in about 6 years. It is a fantastic camp! The staff is enthusiastic and they seem to know their stuff, and it is nestled in the beautiful Texas Hill Country so it's a big change of scenery from Houston. My eldest son has also served as a staffer there for 3 summers now.

We've gone to Camp Orr in Arkansas 2 times, we've camped at Camp Constantin near Ft. Worth, and we've gone to our council camp, El Rancho CIMA.

• Like 1

Moon, I have a SuperNova Cub too. He's now starting his first year of Webelos and he's working on that SuperNova too.

We've added Frontier Girls to our GS experience. Most of my GS troop is now FG and we are individually registered as GS. The girls hated the, "new" GS curriculum and wanted more badges and we can't do anything awesome on .50 a box. I have girls that want to do Troop Mackinaw so we are staying in GS - a little. But I'm really starting to see why people feel the need to leave GS.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update from an incident about a year ago:  The treasurer of our troop was sentenced yesterday to pay restitution of over $16,000, serve 400 hours community service in lieu of 100 days in the county jail, and pay court costs.  She stole everything from the troop including money the kids earned through fundraisers.

While we are happy that justice is served and that our boys see that there is justice, we are sad for her sons (who were part of the troop).  This is a small town and the incident is well known.  She used the funds to purchase "extras" - her home and property were paid off.  The pre-sentencing investigation said that she "does not take responsibility nor does she feel remorse" for her actions.  

Mixed emotions about it all :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update from an incident about a year ago:  The treasurer of our troop was sentenced yesterday to pay restitution of over $16,000, serve 400 hours community service in lieu of 100 days in the county jail, and pay court costs.  She stole everything from the troop including money the kids earned through fundraisers.

While we are happy that justice is served and that our boys see that there is justice, we are sad for her sons (who were part of the troop).  This is a small town and the incident is well known.  She used the funds to purchase "extras" - her home and property were paid off.  The pre-sentencing investigation said that she "does not take responsibility nor does she feel remorse" for her actions.  

This breaks my heart. :(

Both boys did a Merit Badge camp this weekend.  Ods did Cooking.  He didn't do the pre-requisites, so he has those left to do.  Actually, he's done them, he just hasn't bothered to write it up.  He also met with our Pastor and the Trustees to present his Eagle project.  They approved it and have ear-marked some money for it.  Hopefully the fundraising will be minimal.   Now, he has to actually complete the Eagle project paperwork, get it all signed and get going.   He has 9 months left....

Yds did Camping MB on the weekend.  He forgot to ask the ScoutMaster for a letter proving he had done the pre-requisites, so he has to find our Troop's Camping MBC to sign those last 3 things off.  Hopefully he does that Thursday.  

Older son wasn't too happy with the way the Cooking MB was done - it took 3 hours to do one requirement and there was a lot of food throwing and goofing off, but such is life.  He's had plenty of other opportunities to get this MB done, but he never bothered so now he's down to less than a year to get everything finished, he just has to deal with it.

• Like 1

Guys, please pray for us as we head into a pretty intense meeting next week regarding our SM and our oldest son -- as well as issues with his dealings with ALL the boy leaders.  My gut is in knots.  I'm angry I didn't pick up on what was going on before last week -- but I can completely understand why my son was afraid to say/do anything about it (threats and intimidation issued at him, with a huge dose of public humiliation Wednesday night thrown in for good measure).  My husband, son and I will be meeting with the SM, the Committee Chair and another senior ASM.  We have kept the details of what is going on very private (I sent a message to the Committee Chair outlining our concerns -- which was prior to the incident Wednesday -- and also confirmed by another ASM my son's version of the original event which has colored every interaction with the SM since).  My son completes his SPL duties Monday night, and he will be taking a HUGE break from Scout Meetings, and leadership, period  He is frustrated, upset and bitter about the past 6 months.  He was *asked* to take on this role, because the older boys weren't stepping up (my son *ALWAYS* steps up, he's a good kid --a bit immature and naiive, but he was just 14 1/2!).  Anyhow...this is really hard for us.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry for the situation with your ds and his SM. I hope it all works out in the end and that he's not completely turned off Scouting.

My ds11 just received his Tenderfoot Rank on Wednesday! That was neat, but the really cool part was his Scout Leader giving him an "extra" award--a Primus stove and talking about ds and his accomplishments. (Both my ds's hike Mt. Whitney a couple of weeks ago with my dh.) He also talked about ds as a person and how much he's seen ds grow this last year. It was great for this mama to hear her son be spoken of in such glowing terms and to see the respect the leader has for him. My ds has a very reticent personality and Scouts can be difficult for It's nice that the leader noticed that and recognized my ds for growth in that dimension.

Oh, and my dd9's Junior troop decided to do the Get's Moving Journey first, so I've planned some really cool activities to do with energy. But I'm having a hard time with the Take Action Project. The girls go to four different schools and homeschool and we meet at my house, so a lot of the activities I've read about won't really work. Has anyone in GS done this before and do you have any ideas? Thanks.

• Like 2

Just an update from an incident about a year ago: The treasurer of our troop was sentenced yesterday to pay restitution of over $16,000, serve 400 hours community service in lieu of 100 days in the county jail, and pay court costs. She stole everything from the troop including money the kids earned through fundraisers.

While we are happy that justice is served and that our boys see that there is justice, we are sad for her sons (who were part of the troop). This is a small town and the incident is well known. She used the funds to purchase "extras" - her home and property were paid off. The pre-sentencing investigation said that she "does not take responsibility nor does she feel remorse" for her actions.

Wow. Our situation doesn't involve money, but I understand much about the mixed emotions. While consequences may be just, it is difficult when you know they will hurt others as well.

• Like 1

What are some of the camps your Scouts have camped at? Our boys have been to Ben Delatour, Camp Alexander and San Isabel, all in CO. We've also been to Philmont in NM and Emerald Bay in CA. How about you?

My son has been to camps in VA, NC, TN, NY, and Germany. Next year he may either be in England or at Sea Base. My younger son has only been to Bayern. The boys are whitewater rafting this weekend.

I'm so sorry for the situation with your ds and his SM. I hope it all works out in the end and that he's not completely turned off Scouting.

My ds11 just received his Tenderfoot Rank on Wednesday! That was neat, but the really cool part was his Scout Leader giving him an "extra" award--a Primus stove and talking about ds and his accomplishments. (Both my ds's hike Mt. Whitney a couple of weeks ago with my dh.) He also talked about ds as a person and how much he's seen ds grow this last year. It was great for this mama to hear her son be spoken of in such glowing terms and to see the respect the leader has for him. My ds has a very reticent personality and Scouts can be difficult for It's nice that the leader noticed that and recognized my ds for growth in that dimension.

Oh, and my dd9's Junior troop decided to do the Get's Moving Journey first, so I've planned some really cool activities to do with energy. But I'm having a hard time with the Take Action Project. The girls go to four different schools and homeschool and we meet at my house, so a lot of the activities I've read about won't really work. Has anyone in GS done this before and do you have any ideas? Thanks.

I'm so glad you are having such a wonderful experience! My oldest has been in scouts since Tigers, and this is the first time we've encountered anything like this. Not that adult issues were never present...they were just between the adults, not directed at the boys.

I'm sorry I can't be helpful with your GS query...

So sorry to hear of this. Do you have a Unit Commish? It would be good to have him there, too. 

I don't know...I know we're in the Mediterranean District of the Trans Atlantic Council...I do believe someone higher up was just relocated to Naples from Germany (he's trying to not be involved in our troop, so I've met his wife, but not him).  This meeting is really to "clear the air" right now (although, some things directly affecting DS are bad enough -- and there now several committee members now having boys sharing similar stories -- that if it doesn't all come out this week, it will be brought up by someone to the full committee).  

• Like 1

We had a nice family camp this weekend. As we were both feeling less than wonderful, dd and I just went for the day, which involved a nice little hike and a docent-led tour of a local grist mill. We learned a LOT about how flour was milled in the mid-1800s and how the crop mix has changed (oh, boy, has it) since that time in our area. The boys were tying knots like crazy and making scarf rings with drills & saws & pocket knives. And a very good time was had by all.

• Like 1

Ds1 crossed over to Boy Scouts in the spring. He went on his first backpacking trip this weekend and had a great time and is at his first merit badge counselor meeting (Astronomy) right now. He earned three merit badges at camp this summer but this is his first one to do on his own. We're also doing Astronomy for school right now so it works well. He has almost earned Tenderfoot, I think he just needs to do the Scoutmaster Conference and Board of Review. 

Ds2 decided to join Cub Scouts this fall. He is a totally different kid than older brother. He loves many of the things they do in Scouts. He's more of an outdoorsy, nature guy than his brother. But he has never really been a joiner or someone who likes to follow a checklist. (Brother is totally motivated by the structure of Scouts, this one is more loosey goosey). But he's kind of had the best of both worlds the past few years, doing all the family campouts with Dad and brother but never having to really join. He got to go to Pinewood Derby and be at den meetings but never really had to do the work. I figured he might be interested in Scouts once brother crossed over and he couldn't tag along so much anymore. And in fact, he joined this fall and is a Bear. He's working on the Intro stuff now and also doing the Astronomy beltloop/pin to go along with our school studies. 

• Like 3

DS has been planning Webelos in the Woods for weeks.  The program is this weekend and the weather has turned nasty.  The temps are supposed to be in the low-30s at night and reaching highs of only the mid-50s with high winds.  DS's activities included canoing and rowboating so there is a question as to whether or not they will happen. It rained all day yesterday and is chilly (high 40's), windy, and overcast. Four webelos have already dropped out due to the weather.

He is getting ready to go do the grocery shopping and is trying to maintain his enthusiasm but I can tell he is disappointed.  He plans on coming up with alternative activities but this really puts a damper on his plans.  This activity was to be a part of his Outdoor medal and he only has three areas from which to choose. 

I feel for him but I know this will be a good learning experience. 

Oh, that's disappointing. It sounds like he's trying to rally, but he's already put so much work into with the canoing and rowboating plans. I hope the weather clears a little and he doesn't have to go back to the drawing board.

We are having the opposite weather here--it's supposed to be over 100 this weekend. While we don't have Scout activities planned, we do have soccer games in the afternoon. We already know that at least one of our kids isn't playing because of the heat.

• Like 1

DS has been planning Webelos in the Woods for weeks. The program is this weekend and the weather has turned nasty. The temps are supposed to be in the low-30s at night and reaching highs of only the mid-50s with high winds. DS's activities included canoing and rowboating so there is a question as to whether or not they will happen. It rained all day yesterday and is chilly (high 40's), windy, and overcast. Four webelos have already dropped out due to the weather.

He is getting ready to go do the grocery shopping and is trying to maintain his enthusiasm but I can tell he is disappointed. He plans on coming up with alternative activities but this really puts a damper on his plans. This activity was to be a part of his Outdoor medal and he only has three areas from which to choose.

I feel for him but I know this will be a good learning experience.

I hope it works out ok. Your ds sounds wonderfully dedicated.

• Like 1

Speaking of weather issues, it's supposed to be 93 deg F tomorrow and I am taking my Explorers (4th-6th grade girls) on a 3-4 mile hike. Water, water, water, hats, sunscreen, water....

At least our leader is an experienced hiker....he led a Venture crew for a number of years. I am asking dh to come along so I'll have someone to whine to, but given that I've been having digestive issues ALL SUMMER that kept me glued to the bathroom, I am a bit anxious about this hike. The new medication is helping with the digestive problems, but I am way out of shape. I did do a flat mile around the neighborhood a couple of nights ago, so I am hoping I will be OK as long as I hit the outhouse before & after.

• Like 1

Dh took our Web I and his 3 younger sisters to the fall Jamboree for the weekend. It rained a bit tonight and it is supposed to get down into the 30's at night. Ugh. We have cold weather gear (lots of backpacking in the mountains) so they should be OK, but I did send a big box of hand warmers along with them.

• Like 2

Update:  The weekend was as successful as it could have been.  It was actually snowing when we left home on Saturday morning.  We felt silly pulling a trailer full of kayaks and canoes through the snow.  When we arrived at the campground the winds were high and there were white caps on the lake.  DS decided to do the hiking portions of the weekend on Saturday and reserved the boating for Sunday.  It ended up being a great decision.  Sunday was chilly but sunny and calm.

He ended up with 7 Webelos and 15 adults, including staff and parents.  It was the perfect size for a young man leading his first district event.  The transitions from activity to activity went well and the boys had little to no down time to find trouble.  By the time DS called for lights out (45 minutes early) each Webelos was exhausted and ready for bed. 

It was an excited bunch of boys who took to the water on Sunday morning.  DS took his responsibilities seriously yet was relaxed enough to enjoy being on the water himself.  The boys were having such a good time they wanted to stay and weren't ready to leave at the end of the event.

DS had the boys do a service project (cleaning trails) while they were hiking and the boys pulled more than 8 bags of trash off the trails and from around the remote, primitive campsites.

Everyone was happy with DS's menu, even though we went way over budget.  Oops.  He had sandwiches and chips for lunch, chili for dinner, a trail snack and smores for Saturday.  Sunday's breakfast was eggs-in-a-bag and Jefferson donuts with copious amounts of bacon on the side. There were no leftovers, which made packing up the kitchen much easier.

I am relieved that it's over and yet I find myself anticipating his next activity.  :)

• Like 2

Update: The weekend was as successful as it could have been. It was actually snowing when we left home on Saturday morning. We felt silly pulling a trailer full of kayaks and canoes through the snow. When we arrived at the campground the winds were high and there were white caps on the lake. DS decided to do the hiking portions of the weekend on Saturday and reserved the boating for Sunday. It ended up being a great decision. Sunday was chilly but sunny and calm.

He ended up with 7 Webelos and 15 adults, including staff and parents. It was the perfect size for a young man leading his first district event. The transitions from activity to activity went well and the boys had little to no down time to find trouble. By the time DS called for lights out (45 minutes early) each Webelos was exhausted and ready for bed.

It was an excited bunch of boys who took to the water on Sunday morning. DS took his responsibilities seriously yet was relaxed enough to enjoy being on the water himself. The boys were having such a good time they wanted to stay and weren't ready to leave at the end of the event.

DS had the boys do a service project (cleaning trails) while they were hiking and the boys pulled more than 8 bags of trash off the trails and from around the remote, primitive campsites.

Everyone was happy with DS's menu, even though we went way over budget. Oops. He had sandwiches and chips for lunch, chili for dinner, a trail snack and smores for Saturday. Sunday's breakfast was eggs-in-a-bag and Jefferson donuts with copious amounts of bacon on the side. There were no leftovers, which made packing up the kitchen much easier.

I am relieved that it's over and yet I find myself anticipating his next activity. :)

Incredible! I bet the boys who opted out at the last minute are just kicking themselves. What an awesome achievement for your ds!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

DD just joined Girl Scouts as an individual member/Juliette. She's a Daisy; right now she's learning the Girl Scout Law and working on her light blue "honest and fair" petal. We're planning to learn more about Juliette Gordon Low the last week of this month, and we'll finish up with a little celebration in honor of Low's birthday Oct. 31.

• Like 2