Menu

Please don't quote, I'm going to delete

I think they will most likely give him a battery of tests to determine what grade he should be placed in. I'm sure they will take his age into account as well. Here in IL he would be put into 6th grade if he were turning 11 this July. My son would be going into 6th grade next year (although we are starting homeschooling after this year) and he will be 11 in September. We moved here from CT in 2010, and the cutoff there was Dec 31st (had to be 5 before then to start K) My son's birthday is in late September. Here the cutoff is August or Sept. 1st, but because he had passed 2nd grade in CT, they placed him in 3rd grade at 7 years old and he turned 8 three weeks later. Because of this he has kids in his class that are a whole year older than he is. Academically he is on target for math and ahead in reading, but needs help with organization and writing and is on the small side for his age so there are kids that are quite a bit bigger than he is as well.

I think an 11 year old would be in at least 5th grade. Even if he is at a 4th grade reading level, schools have many tools to help kids that need a boost in reading. He certainly won't be the only kid in the class behind grade level in reading. My son went from below 3rd grade to 5th grade reading level in 4th grade because he had a wonderful teacher and she really pushed him. His teacher this year has oral discussions with my son about books that he reads because he isn't great at writing his thoughts down but has deep insights about the books he reads. She will be working with him on expressing those thoughts on paper. It's one reason I really want to homeschool, the schools use test scores to determine placement in junior high, and although he is very smart, his test scores don't show it. He needs work on organizing his thoughts and being able to express them in complete and detailed sentences. We will be using IEW next year to help him with this.

I would talk to the school and teachers from each grade first. Our district has the curriculum guides for each grade posted on their website, so you might be able to see what each grade will study or ask the school for hardcopies if they are not available online.

I think they will most likely give him a battery of tests to determine what grade he should be placed in.

I have been told by other people from my state they just look at age and plop you in, and don't even ask to see the yearly tests we are required to give our child "in case they ever (re-) enter the school system."

I think an 11 year old would be in at least 5th grade.

I disagree; he's only just turning 11 in July which would likely make him the youngest in the 5th grade this year. 4th grade for a boy with a summer birthday is more than acceptable. In some areas it's practically expected.

You wouldn't have any problem with the grade level here. Many redshirt.

If there is an LD involved, you would be wise to get the paperwork started now, before he needs services.

I don't think there is, just a bit of a late bloomer (like me). He progresses well every year, but started about a year behind "natural readers".

Many redshirt here, too, but at K (and I would have for him, as well). What language would you use to make this come across without sounding like an invasive parent.

I have been told by other people from my state they just look at age and plop you in, and don't even ask to see the yearly tests we are required to give our child "in case they ever (re-) enter the school system."

In that case, they won't likely have a problem with a request to stick him back.

I don't think there is, just a bit of a late bloomer (like me). He progresses well every year, but started about a year behind "natural readers".

Many redshirt here, too, but at K (and I would have for him, as well). What language would you use to make this come across without sounding like an invasive parent.

I'd just keep it simple and say that entering school will be enough of an adjustment and that you feel your son would fit in best academically and socially if he were on the oldest end of the class rather than on the youngest.

:grouphug: I am so very sorry and hope you are able to find some answers and some relief soon.

If you know the school your son would attend, I would make an appointment and talk over your concerns in person, hopefully with his potential teacher. There will be some testing. I don't think you can make a determination about grade level until you talk to the teachers and see some test scores. I find that even though I have always had one foot in public schools and one foot in homeschooling, I am not always on target for what level my kids are at. I underestimate where the youngest one is at routinely and I should know better since I have taught him for five years.

I agree with the others. I think they won't have any problem with what you're wanting. There'll be many in his grade that are the same age.

If you need some catch phrases to store up, maybe you could mention that he's capable but a bit of a late bloomer, or that you think he should go into the lower grade so he can adjust to the school experience at a level in which he is much more likely to succeed.

Best wishes to you as you sort these things out. Just please know we understand how hard this is, especially those of us with health problems (lupus for me).

I would just say he's in 4th grade and fill out all the paperwork accordingly. I'm sure he won't be the only redshirted kid. He probably won't even be the oldest kid in his class.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm really wishing the best for your health and family and hope that it won't come to pass.

Even by red-shirting standards here, that seems late. A summer birthday boy who is turning 11 and is red-shirted would be going into 5th next year, not 4th. That would make this year 4th grade. Maybe that is what you are wanting? I'm not sure I correctly his age placement.

Even by red-shirting standards here, that seems late. A summer birthday boy who is turning 11 and is red-shirted would be going into 5th next year, not 4th. That would make this year 4th grade. Maybe that is what you are wanting? I'm not sure I correctly his age placement.

Yes, that is what I am wanting. I told him if things aren't better by April we'd have to enroll him. That way, he'd have 2.5 months of 4th grade to get used to things, then the summer off (which he will find heavenly) and start 5th in the fall. I had a Sept birthday and started 5th as I was turning 10. OTOH, I wasn't expected to know co-ordinates etc. by that age. Looking at the 4th grade expectations on the webpage, the math for 4th is what I was doing in 5th.

I think I misunderstood. I thought you were waiting to start him in 4th grade in the fall. If you are putting him in before this school year ends, then 4th grade is probably reasonable. I'm sure at the end of the school year you will have time to re-evaluate how it went and could work with the school district if that wasn't a good fit.

Here we start middle school in 6th grade, which is another reason I'm wanting to homeschool. My son is not well organized, and having 7 different teachers and a hectic daily schedule will not work well with his personality. I sure do wish 6th grade were still part of elementary school like it was when I went!

Kay, I missed the original post but I hope everyone is OK. Are there charter or private schools in your area that might offer more flexibility or options?

Catherine

No charters. They just became legal in this state (more people voted against charters than against gay marriage .... I'm still scratching my head on this one) and none have started.

Private schools here are either religious or 22K a year and is very demanding (a "prep" school). Your child has to have hours of testing before being accepted. Lots of kids are redshirted for it, because they have to be 6 before they can pass the test for kindy. Plus, it seems a snobby place to me.

I would look at what the 4th grade expectations are and if your son can meet (not necessarily exceed) those expectations he would probably be ready for 5th grade. Looking at the expectations for the end of 5th grade is not reasonable. That's what they should know after completing the grade, not before entering the grade.

http://www.ncsl.org/...pulsoryAge.pdfI

I can't get the link to work.

Kiddo's 2 chums from way back had birthdays a week and 2 weeks after him and were redshirted for K. They are now finishing 4th grade. If we started in April, kiddo would have a couple of months of 4th and then start 5th 4 weeks after turning 11. His old chums will be starting 5th 3 and 2 weeks after turning 11, so it can't be all THAT unusual.

I am looking at the expectations of, e.g. math at the end of 4th. He can do almost all of it. If I put him in 5th now, for 2 months and then started in 6th as he was turning 11, his math would not be up to were they claim their students are. SM has not even broached co-ordinates yet, and we haven't gotten to dividing fractions yet, at all.

I can't get the link to work.

Kiddo's 2 chums from way back had birthdays a week and 2 weeks after him and were redshirted for K. They are now finishing 4th grade. If we started in April, kiddo would have a couple of months of 4th and then start 5th 4 weeks after turning 11. His old chums will be starting 5th 3 and 2 weeks after turning 11, so it can't be all THAT unusual.

I am looking at the expectations of, e.g. math at the end of 4th. He can do almost all of it. If I put him in 5th now, for 2 months and then started in 6th as he was turning 11, his math would not be up to were they claim their students are. SM has not even broached co-ordinates yet, and we haven't gotten to dividing fractions yet, at all.

Sorry, see my new post, I thought you were talking about starting him in 4th grade this fall, not before the school year ends this year. My bad!

I started my son late because I wanted him to be the oldest in the class versus the youngest. Best decision we ever made and mine is a high school sophomore now. I have never met a parent who did this with their boys that regretted it. The principle and the K teacher both said my son was ready academically but not socially and it would be a gift to wait with him.

IF anyone questions him being placed lower (which I doubt), I would word it as, "We started K at home based on what he was ready for at the time with me working one-on-one with him. Had we put him in school we would have had to balance his age, academic level, and social level and would undoubtedly have had him start K at 6. I want to make that adjustment now that it relevant to a school setting."

I have a friend who redshirted her May birthday son when she put him in school after homeschooling. This was here in WA, and the school had no problems with it. I don't think that the school will think twice about placing your son in 5th grade next fall.

What math program are they using? If it's constructivist like Everyday Math, the curriculum can be very deceptive. They often have "high sounding" names for things that are actually quite simple (e.g. "algebra" when there's almost no algebra involved), or introduce something briefly with the expectation of spiraling back in the future.

What math program are they using? If it's constructivist like Everyday Math, the curriculum can be very deceptive. They often have "high sounding" names for things that are actually quite simple (e.g. "algebra" when there's almost no algebra involved), or introduce something briefly with the expectation of spiraling back in the future.

This is a good point. If he has been using SM, even below his grade-by-age level, he could still be ahead of the other students if they are using EM or Investigations even if he hasn't been exposed to particular procedures or concepts yet.

Here's a little something that I learned after my oldest re-entered school: it's ok to be an invasive parent. It's not some flaw found only in homeschool moms. The schools are #1 well accustomed to parents with opinions, and #2 respect parent involvement. At least the school we were involved with does. You don't have to pass all the decision making over to the school. Tell them he's going into 4th, no debate about it. I bet they'll be more receptive than you're expecting.

My August boy is in 4th, along with many of his July to November friends.

I'm truly sorry about your health.

Last year I let my oldest go to 3rd grade. I went about a week before school and spoke to the principal. We didn't do any testing and I didn't show him anything we had done. We just had a polite conversation and I told him what grade I thought would be best. Let me tell you, I was shaking like a leaf the first day. Homeschooling is sometimes a grand experiment. He adjusted just fine. Some of the curriculum was super easy, and some was challenging. No matter what you've used unless it's the very same as the school there will be bits here and there to fill in. It may take time to get the hand of a new curriculum. It will work out for you though, it did for us. In just one quarter he was doing very well. If you are worried about math for the next year maybe you should look into the Life of Fred books for the summer.

I spoke to the principal, whose thinking was EXactly the same as mine. He sounded very intelligent, well-spoken, kind, and eager to do well by his children. So far from the monster I had in my grade school (who was just working his way up to a better job with not a child in sight).

I feel reassured, but I wish I could stop crying. I almost never cry. And my husband gets eerily soft spoken and kind when I do, which doesn't help me stop.

The math is Math Connects, which is graded as acceptable when I googled. The principal said he would get me a code to view it page by page on line, in case kiddo was having problems.

I spoke to the principal, whose thinking was EXactly the same as mine. He sounded very intelligent, well-spoken, kind, and eager to do well by his children. So far from the monster I had in my grade school (who was just working his way up to a better job with not a child in sight).

I feel reassured, but I wish I could stop crying. I almost never cry. And my husband gets eerily soft spoken and kind when I do, which doesn't help me stop.

The math is Math Connects, which is graded as acceptable when I googled. The principal said he would get me a code to view it page by page on line, in case kiddo was having problems.

I'm glad for your good news!

:grouphug:

Well, by reading the posts and piecing bit of this together.... :grouphug:

There will always be holes somewhere--even if you switched curric now, there'd be holes form one to the next.

He will be fine. He will be, because he's got you for a mom and you are pretty darned awesome.

Hopefully you'll find some answers soon.

:grouphug: Kay :grouphug:

I told him, and he's crying into his ravioli. On the good side, I've gotten all strong and upbeat now that he's home. (That's a mom for you.)

I feel like I've left out a trap for my favorite wild bunny.

I know it will be fine. It is just a sorrowful end to something I didn't imagine ending. I promised him if I could get better on meds, he'd come back home next year, if he wants to. He's a social boy, and he may well really enjoy the other kids.

ETA: We looked at interactive white boards on YouTube and at pictures of the school. The tears have stopped.

ETA: This morning he washed our big whiteboard clean, and suggested if we were getting desperate for money, we certainly had a lot of books to sell. The boys are biking down to the school this morning to eyeball the playground and the environs.

The math is Math Connects, which is graded as acceptable when I googled.

I have reviewed Math Connects extensively. It's not inspired, but it is mostly traditional ( I think there might be some math journal type stuff, but it doesn't make children "invent" algorithms) and quite a bit better than the reform math programs. I also found that it tracked with Singapore fairly well, at least with the big topics in terms of when they were presented.

I hope you get some answers soon. You are in my thoughts. :grouphug: