Menu

Disney TV shows

I can't stand any of them, pure cr*p every one of them. I feel like they either portray adults as buffoons or as unnecessary. A particularly heinous example is Good Luck Charlie, the mother on that show is insanely narcissistic.

If my girls absolutely have to watch that fluff, and, apparently, sometimes they do, Jesse is ok, I did kind of not hate Suite Life sometimes and dh thinks Phneas and Ferb is genius. (sigh)

We only do Phineas and Ferb. I actually think it's a great show. It makes the adults here laugh and the messages in it are positive - basically just be active, seize the day.

I'm curious about the sitcoms. My boys are 8 and have been getting into sitcoms... the Disney ones would seem to be perfect age-wise, but when I have seen bits of them, the gender stereotyping really bothers me. And the messages of entitlement. Junky TV doesn't have to be perfect - I don't really care if it's candy... I'd just rather it be homemade cookies, or a basic chocolate bar, not a sugary mess laced with cancer-causing additives, you know? We are pretty liberal with the kids about what they watch, so if they asked, then I would probably say yes. It's just that I don't know if any of them are worth suggesting or are better than the others. It's one thing to let the kids watch Modern Family with us and another to let them tear through a sitcom on Netflix without us to talk about anything that comes up.

We don't even have cable or satellite service anymore. There were not enough shows for either kids or adults that together were worth the money I was paying. I only ever see the kids' channels when we go on vacation, and I always think they are horrible.

I can't stand any of them, pure cr*p every one of them. I feel like they either portray adults as buffoons or as unnecessary. A particularly heinous example is Good Luck Charlie, the mother on that show is insanely narcissistic.

If my girls absolutely have to watch that fluff, and, apparently, sometimes they do, Jesse is ok, I did kind of not hate Suite Life sometimes and dh thinks Phneas and Ferb is genius. (sigh)

Wow, my husband and I said the same !

My kids do not watch the sitcoms, but we all watch Phineas and Ferb. Should I be embarrassed to admit that even my husband and I like that show? Other than that, they haven't really watched any of the others. My dd 7 was interested in Dog with a Blog, but that was short-lived.

Most Disney sitcoms are awful. They do portray parents horribly. I have watched them with my kids when all of their friends were watching them. We talked about the messages in the show, reality vs. fantasy, etc. They can be great teaching tools.

Phineas and Ferb, however, is genius.

This caught my eye because my 16yo daughter came home from babysitting about an hour ago and thanked me for keeping the Disney channel out of our house. I'm pretty liberal and don't screen books. Pg-13 movies are ok on a case by case basis from about 7. But I've put my foot down about Disney channel sitcoms since my oldest were little. My teens used to watch them over at their friends' houses on occasion, which was fine, but I wasn't about to allow a steady diet of it for the reasons mentioned above. They didn't understand at the time why I was so against them, but accepted it. Now that she's older, Em told me she can see what a bad influence they are on kids. She said they play up stereotypes for laughs in a way that normalizes them and insidiously reinforces them. The fat kid. The nerdy kid. The black kid. The idiot dad. Etc. the 13yo agreed. I almost fell over.

We don't have cable so we get zero channels. We do stream netflix for Super Why and Diego and Word World but that's about it. When on vacation we allowed sprout tv. We saw Dog with a Blog once at a hotel. The 6 and 5 yo loved it and I thought it was awful. My kids are a little younger.

My kids watch Disney. I have noticed the sitcoms are not as good as they use to be (Lizzie McGuire. Kim Possible, and Even Steven were good and the parents were not silly)now the kids are shallow and the parents need help, but when you have a teen and a 8yr old, Disney is a good compromise on the days I let them watch TV.

My kids watch Disney. I have noticed the sitcoms are not as good as they use to be (Lizzie McGuire. Kim Possible, and Even Steven were good and the parents were not silly)now the kids are shallow and the parents need help, but when you have a teen and a 8yr old, Disney is a good compromise on the days I let them watch TV.

See, that's so true. Even Stevens and Kim Possible were both cute. Naked mole rats. Drat. I wish those were on Netflix instead of Good Luck Charlie.

We watch "Dog with a Blog" and "Jessie", but the greatest Disney show ever is "Phineas and Ferb", hands down. "Good Luck, Charlie", "Austin and Allie", "Shake it Up", and "Wizards of Waverly Place" are absolute no's in our house.

Don't even get me started on Nick and Nick Jr. shows though. That channel is cr*p.

My kids watch most of the Disney sitcoms, but I watch with them & we discuss the stereotypes and the buffoonish adults. They know that it's not real life. Personally, most of the shows really grate on *my* nerves. The acting is terrible! I am looking forward to when my kids outgrow Disney.

My kids hardly watch any tv at our house. They'd rather spend their screen time on the computer or Wii. They all like to watch Chopped and a few other Food Network shows. Unfortunately they do see some of the Disney sitcoms at other houses...esp at MIL... I agree they are junk, but i dont think it will hurt them just seeing an episode here or there.

Have to admit ive never seen phineus and ferb....maybe during the next snowstorm...

The girls watch none of them and never have.

They do love Phineas & Ferb, Word Girl, Martha Speaks, Looney Tunes, and Wild Kratts. They also watch DVDs of Disney movies, Barbie, etc.

Rebecca enjoys watching (don't judge me!) Toddlers & Tiaras and Project Runway with me. Bad mommy, bad!

They generally watch TV in the mornings with breakfast and some DVDs in the car going into town. Rebecca is so busy with extracurriculars, we watch our shows in the evening only once or twice a week.

I have mostly stopped all Disney sitcom viewing for the reasons already mentioned. The gender stereotypes and the bratty behaviors are what pushed me over the edge. I think the little girl on Jessie is especially horrible. We do love Phineas and Ferb although I wish for once that a girl character could be shown as smart, talented, focused, etc. (and I know Isabella is a smart, badge achieving leader, but she is a sidenote and mostly just has a crush on Phineas). Ultimately my biggest issue with Disney sitcoms is that all the girls seem to be disrespectful, dumb, and/or obsessed with boys. I want my daughter to shoot higher.

We don't have cable, and if we did I would discourage Disney for the same reasons as everybody else. It's junk. And FULL of advertising for things my daughter would never otherwise think to request. She watches Peep's Big World, Wild Kratts, Super Why, Curious George, and Wallace and Gromit, mostly on Netflix, DVD, or PBS. But she would rather spend her screen time playing on Starfall.

Some of the people with only younger kids are posting that they don't allow it and their kids watch PBS stuff instead. I have to say - it's so much easier when they're still young enough to find Curious George fulfilling storytelling. The TV options for older kids are just much junkier and the decisions - if you allow non-educational TV at all - are just tougher. I wish PBS would make shows aimed at upper elementary again.

I guess I'm the odd one...I actually enjoy Good Luck Charlie. It looks like I should be embarrassed by that, oh well. We just laugh together and it's entertaining... I guess I don't analyze it as much. Not that I am saying anyone is wrong...I just don't think about it.

My girls like Phineas & Ferb, Good Luck Charlie, and Wizards of Waverly Place. We all watch them together usually (and we all laugh). I guess I'm just lucky though because my dds have never emulated behavior seen on tv. We talk about what's wrong with some of it, but they usually point it out now before I even mention it.

Some of the people with only younger kids are posting that they don't allow it and their kids watch PBS stuff instead. I have to say - it's so much easier when they're still young enough to find Curious George fulfilling storytelling. The TV options for older kids are just much junkier and the decisions - if you allow non-educational TV at all - are just tougher. I wish PBS would make shows aimed at upper elementary again.

If you check the website, they do have some, but in my market, at least, they jump to BBC World news right about the time PBS Kids turns into PBS Kids Go! (which is the older kid focused material). DD loves being at my parent's house because they have several hours of Word Girl!, Fetch, The Electric Company, CyberChase, and similar shows. She watches Cyberchase and Word Girl on netflix. I wish they'd bring back Wishbone. (DD discovered the Wishbone books, and loves them-and has read a lot of classic literature after reading the Wishbone version).

We don't have cable or satellite, and in general I really hate TV (there are some shows I watch, but the 'let's find something to watch on TV' mentality that some of my *ahem* extended family has drives me NUTS!) but the kids watch a few things on Netflix.

Usually it's superhero stuff, but mine are younger. I never liked PBS because I always thought those shows were dumb, plus I never knew what station PBS was here :lol: ...When the kids were little they liked Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Backyardigans (which I know is Nick Jr). DH thinks P&F is hysterical and the boys don't mind it.

Now Pink watches My Little Pony, the boys watch about every Power Rangers ever created + Ultimate Spiderman, Avengers, etc. A huge favorite in our house (STILL) is Avatar. We also watch The Legend of Korra (when it comes back out). We all like those.

Anyway, I'm no help, I'm sure. :)

Oh, and even within the Disney silliness,sometimes there are teaching moments and bits of truth. My husband has been traveling for work, and I've been very relaxed on a lot of things to try to keep MY sanity, knowing that I didn't have the "Oh, Daddy's home, go talk to him" release. So, this past weekend DD watched a "Dog with a Blog"-and one of the big plot points was that older, cool brother who did his best to come off as an airhead was actually extremely good at mental math. His younger step-sister talks him into entering a math competition as part of a plot to keep a nosy neighbor from finding out that the talking dog can talk (I know, silly plot premise), and the brother not only finds out that the other kids at school don't care that he's good at math, but that they actually think it's cool that he is, and stay to cheer him on. (At one point, a cheerleader calls out "I have a B+ in Geometry, and I don't CARE who knows it!!")

For DD, who often feels out of sorts with her friends because she likes things they complain about, like math, this has been a real revelation-and after months of "No one but me does X" with her feeling more and more isolated, it's like that silly DC show finally gave her a lens to realize that "Hey, most of the people who have come over for Co-op think my pet snake's pretty cool!" "When I won the math competition, one of my friends told the cheer coach, and the entire team was happy for me"-all the things she'd been missing because she was so set in her idea that she was different that she missed that it was OK to be different. She's been talking about that show on and off since it aired-and this morning it was all she could talk about on the way home from her science class-all the different things about her friends, and how they all can like different things, but still like each other, and how, while DD doesn't like monster high, it's kind of cool how many of the different dolls that her friend has that match different characters in mythology...and on, and on...

I still don't see DC as being the best use of her time...but it's not without it's redeeming qualities ;).

We are very limited on what we watch on TV and don't watch any Disney sitcoms. I feel like I've got brain cells dying when I watch them but we do like our occasional Disney princess movie. We will watch shows as a family so anything we watch has to appeal to a broad scope of people. We will watch things that I know others will think is insane to have an 8yo DD watch though - we watch LoTR, the old Sherlock Holmes, and Doctor Who with her so I know everyone had different levels of acceptable.

If you check the website, they do have some, but in my market, at least, they jump to BBC World news right about the time PBS Kids turns into PBS Kids Go! (which is the older kid focused material). DD loves being at my parent's house because they have several hours of Word Girl!, Fetch, The Electric Company, CyberChase, and similar shows. She watches Cyberchase and Word Girl on netflix. I wish they'd bring back Wishbone. (DD discovered the Wishbone books, and loves them-and has read a lot of classic literature after reading the Wishbone version).

Yeah, they have Cyberchase and Wordgirl... but at 8 yo, my kids feel like those shows aren't that great anymore. They'll watch Wild Kratts over that, but even that isn't something they love. Something along the lines of Wishbone or Ghostwriter - only updated, obviously - would be great. There are a few good things for kids in that 7ish-10ish age range out there and there are a few good adult shows that are educational that kids watch, like Mythbusters, for example. However, I think there's a big market there and one that would fill a real need for kids if PBS could figure out how to make better shows that don't feel so young or how to make something that fits the mold of those Disney sitcoms yet teaches something and has better values at the same time.

My kids watch these shows sometimes and to be honest they can take or leave them. I've seen them as well and they are really no worse than things I watched as a kid (Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Happy Days, etc).

I do think that they are very different. I don't remember ever seeing the parents of the Brady's or Shirley Partridge being totally disrespected like kids on today's shows. Happy Days absolutely did not make the parents out to be idiots.

<Tin foil hat here> I do believe there is a very subtle (and sometimes not so subtle at all) undertone of breaking down parental authority and respect in most teen shows on TV today.

I do think that they are very different. I don't remember ever seeing the parents of the Brady's or Shirley Partridge being totally disrespected like kids on today's shows. Happy Days absolutely did not make the parents out to be idiots.

<Tin foil hat here> I do believe there is a very subtle (and sometimes not so subtle at all) undertone of breaking down parental authority and respect in most teen shows on TV today.

On the Brady Bunch the kids were always doing something behind their parents back. They would would wind up in a jam and at the end the parents would confront them and the big reveal was the lesson learned. I think the parents looked like idiots because they were clueless as to what was going on around them. There was always a side story to keep the parents occupied while the children's drama would take place.

On the modern shows the parents are on to the kids from the get-go. They pretend to be oblivious and let the kids learn the lessons the hard way sometimes manipulating outcomes from behind the scenes (still with the big feel good moment at the end).

I don't see disrespect but there is more familiarity than formality in the modern tv parent children relationships. Perhaps I see that as better because that is the type of relationship I had with my parents. I guess those that had a more formal relationship might see that as disrespect.

This definitely isn't a hill to die on for me but I really don't see the undermining of parental authority.

On the Brady Bunch the kids were always doing something behind their parents back. They would would wind up in a jam and at the end the parents would confront them and the big reveal was the lesson learned. I think the parents looked like idiots because they were clueless as to what was going on around them. There was always a side story to keep the parents occupied while the children's drama would take place.

On the modern shows the parents are on to the kids from the get-go. They pretend to be oblivious and let the kids learn the lessons the hard way sometimes manipulating outcomes from behind the scenes (still with the big feel good moment at the end).

I don't see disrespect but there is more familiarity than formality in the modern tv parent children relationships. Perhaps I see that as better because that is the type of relationship I had with my parents. I guess those that had a more formal relationship might see that as disrespect.

This definitely isn't a hill to die on for me but I really don't see the undermining of parental authority.

I have a very close, sweet ,not formal, relationship with my daughter, and even she, when watching these shows, sees the children treating the parents as idiots and points it out to me.

I do see it very clearly as undermining parental authority and respect and I can see you do not, so we'll just have to leave it at that. :)

ETA I was on my phone so I was less "wordy" than I usually am. LOL

I'm just saying that it's obvious we see things very differently and that's fine - and I realize that we probably won't come to any kind of agreement by going back and forth. All is good. :)

I have a very close, sweet ,not formal, relationship with my daughter, and even she, when watching these shows, sees the children treating the parents as idiots and points it out to me.

I do see it very clearly as undermining parental authority and respect and I can see you do not, so we'll just have to leave it at that. :)

ETA I was on my phone so I was less "wordy" than I usually am. LOL

I'm just saying that it's obvious we see things very differently and that's fine - and I realize that we probably won't come to any kind of agreement by going back and forth. All is good. :)

We can agree to disagree. I am by no means saying these shows are wonderful programming I'm just saying that some of the shows we watched as kids weren't much better. Look at the Peanuts cartoons. Lucy was a bully plain and simple. You will never see a show for kids today where one character is constantly calling another "stupid," or a "blockhead" or telling him that he is a loser and will never have friends. We all grew up watching Peanuts cartoons (I still do) and I'd bet most of never pulled a football out from under someone trying to kick it.

We can agree to disagree. I am by no means saying these shows are wonderful programming I'm just saying that some of the shows we watched as kids weren't much better. Look at the Peanuts cartoons. Lucy was a bully plain and simple. You will never see a show for kids today where one character is constantly calling another "stupid," or a "blockhead" or telling him that he is a loser and will never have friends. We all grew up watching Peanuts cartoons (I still do) and I'd bet most of never pulled a football out from under someone trying to kick it.

Well now, Peanuts I TOTALLY agree with you on. I really loathe Lucy. LOL Another show from my childhood was "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer". I was actually appalled to see it as an adult and know that his DAD was in on the teasing and the coach encouraged the kids to ostracize him over his nose.

Well now, Peanuts I TOTALLY agree with you on. I really loathe Lucy. LOL Another show from my childhood was "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer". I was actually appalled to see it as an adult and know that his DAD was in on the teasing and the coach encouraged the kids to ostracize him over his nose.

Coach Comet is a bully too!!

Love Phineas and Ferb and I caught a few episodes of Gravity Falls once and liked that. Otherwise, it's always Wild Kratts, Wild Thornberries, Cyberchase, Barney (dd), and Mr Rogers (dd) lately. Whatever we can get on Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime.

Oh, "Gravity Falls"!!! We love watching this as a family. Have you looked for the codes in the credits at the end?