Menu

Losing weight

MommyX8

Ladies--

I used to be around here a lot. And I want to put it out there that I used to think that I couldn't lose weight because a.) I have 8 children, and b.) I've been homeschooling since 1993.

I started 2012 at 230 pounds. I came out of 2012 weighing 140. So it turns out that I was wrong. I did not have to be overweight because of my lot in life.

You can read my story here:

http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/240320737

I was on Beachbody's front page for 1/1/2013. Was it embarrassing?? Um, yeah. But if my year can motivate you to make a change, bring it on.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

In Him,

Kim

MommyX8

I am 5'5". I'd like to lose another 20ish pounds. I'll get there. :)

Thank you everyone.

Just wanted to put it out there to invest in yourself. We have mastered putting others first and doing our best to ensure our childrens' success. It is possible. This board is full of SuperMoms. :)

Quick question: Was 10-Minute Trainer too hard for you at first, and if so, how did you adjust and stick with it until you could do it? I see reviews that say it was a bit hard for someone who is a couch-potato beginner. I'd like to get something for both dh and I but he is REALLY out of shape. LOL!

Quick question: Was 10-Minute Trainer too hard for you at first, and if so, how did you adjust and stick with it until you could do it? I see reviews that say it was a bit hard for someone who is a couch-potato beginner. I'd like to get something for both dh and I but he is REALLY out of shape. LOL!

I can't speak to 10-Minute Trainer specifically, but I can give a general answer. With any Beachbody program, you have to modify it to your level of fitness. Do what you can, at your own pace. When I first started working out, I could not do jumping jacks. Instead, I raised my hands over my head while touch each foot to the side (alternately.) Now I can do jumping jacks. Can't do a push up? Do it on your knees or against the wall. Whatever it takes to get you through it, then do a little more each time.

I've done Chalean Extreme and the first month of Insanity. I am currently doing Les Mills Pump. Next I would like to do P90X.

Whatever you do, just keep at it!

Ladies--

I used to be around here a lot. And I want to put it out there that I used to think that I couldn't lose weight because a.) I have 8 children, and b.) I've been homeschooling since 1993.

I started 2012 at 230 pounds. I came out of 2012 weighing 140. So it turns out that I was wrong. I did not have to be overweight because of my lot in life.

You can read my story here:

http://www.teambeach...ssage/240320737

I was on Beachbody's front page for 1/1/2013. Was it embarrassing?? Um, yeah. But if my year can motivate you to make a change, bring it on.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

In Him,

Kim

MommyX8

There you go. So 2012 was a good year then? lol It's amazing what people can do when they really want to.

Thanks Kim (and Faithe)!

Honestly, I keep trying; but I lost my belief a LONG time ago. And I had only two kids for a LONG time. So how on earth can I do it as a mother of nine (or five or eight or ten...whatever it ends up being)? And homeschooling has been so different this time around. And is it fair for me to take family resources (money but especially time)? And goodness gracious, the clean laundry pile grows insane some days!

And this morning? After a much lighter workout than ChaLEAN Extreme, I'm in SO much pain. I can barely move. The work out was two days ago. I really NEED to work out today! But how? I find squatting, really falling, to the couch or potty scream-worthy! Maybe if I just do abs and upper body with some cardio today?

I lost 20 pounds in 2012. I want 2013 to be the year that I lose the majority of the rest.

THanks for some inspiration! It really is possible....even with a houseful of kiddos :)

For me...it was a long hard battle. I gained and lost over and over again. I laugh and say I must have lost over 500 lbs....I have lost 50+ several times....

It took me several years to lose my weight because of PCOS and Insulin issues plus I am dealing with auto-immune issues. I lost and kept off 75 ish pounds several years ago and this year finally was able...by upping my exercise and cleaning up my diet even more than before.....the last 20 ish pounds ( since June). I lose very, very slowly.....like 1/4-1/2 lb per week...which barely registers on a scale. It can be so discouraging, so I only weigh myself monthly.

My diet: I eat meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, good oils ( coconut-avocado-olive), and some fruit. I try to keep fruit to a minimum. I am now working on an auto-immune protocol, but will be adding back in nuts, seeds, nightshades and eggs to see if I have any reactions.

So: no grains, no beans or legumes, no dairy, no sugar, no processed junk food. NO CHEATS. That is the hard part when your kids are eating Oreos or pop tarts......

Exercise. I started out and lost the bulk of my weight by walking. I walk 3 miles every.single. Day. No days off.....usually. I walk with a buddy....and we encourage each other.

Last summer, with dd's encouragement, I joined a local gym and began group fitness classes. I do not have the self discipline to just use the machines or video at home. I love the encouragement and motivation from the other exercise r's in the classes. I am in love with Spin and lifting classes. I am definitely gaining more balance and coordination daily.

Now, my goals are not so much losing or even maintaining weight, but getting stronger and leaner....and staving off auto-immune issues that have reared its ugly head way too many times in the last 2 years. Meds do not work for me.....working out to exhaustion work for me.

I think really there is no magic formula....except.....eat clean/exercise a lot. For me it was all about my health....and living to see my kids grow up. There is still no guarantee....but, I am fighting the battle with all of my being.

Sorry Kim, didn't mean to hijack your thread. This issue is so important to me. Moms, especially homeschool moms need to be ever vigilant in taking care of ourselves. We give and give and give.....with little leftover for us. I remind myself daily that I need to care for me....so I can care for my kids and my hubby....or at least put up with them better.

I thought about this thread when I went to the CF Gym earlier.

As I was failing miserably at the modified Burpees, I kept saying, "better to suck at it than not do it."

I'm not sure if I was convincing myself or what. I just kept at it. Barely.

We then went to go buy something to work out in. I was frustrated as there was nothing for someone as fat at me (at Academy).

I thought about getting mens, but I really wanted pink or something.

Anyway, I was frustrated and then I thought back here again, thinking, "if a mom of eight can do it...."

HARD work, but I"m so glad to be doing it. I'm glad I *can* do it.

I thought about this thread when I went to the CF Gym earlier.

As I was failing miserably at the modified Burpees, I kept saying, "better to suck at it than not do it."

I'm not sure if I was convincing myself or what. I just kept at it. Barely.

We then went to go buy something to work out in. I was frustrated as there was nothing for someone as fat at me (at Academy).

I thought about getting mens, but I really wanted pink or something.

Anyway, I was frustrated and then I thought back here again, thinking, "if a mom of eight can do it...."

HARD work, but I"m so glad to be doing it. I'm glad I *can* do it.

How about SkirtSports.com? lots of pink there You can find their products discounted at 6pm.com