Menu

Hmmm. Explain Aldi's grocery store to me.

Ginevra

Well, I'm still mulling my Aldi experience over in my mind. The bags - not an issue. I bring reusable bags to grocery shop anyway. I didn't know that was their schtick, but I happened to have brought my bags anyway.

I'm not at all bothered by the un-fancy appearance and I don't care if the food is brand or not. I buy generics anyway. However, I am worried about counterfeiting. Are these products simply generics or are they counterfeit? It looks a little sketchy to me to have a jar that is stylistically a dead ringer or Hellman's mayo, but isn't Hellman's in fact. Is it law-breaking or simply a creative generic? If it's actually a counterfeit, all bets are off on the labeling, which concerns me. But if it's merely generic and half the price, I could not care less. If we like it, we like it. Generic razors still shave hair.

The cart deposit really did bother me a little. I wasn't sure how the return was going to work, but it was moot because a lady asked for my cart. She even gave me the quarter.

It doesn't bother me to pay cash, although I am used to using my credit card. It would take a little bit more planning, but it might be worth it.

The savings - well, I can certainly see how this could save quite significantly. This Aldi is not very convenient for me, though, and I can't see the likelihood that I'm going to go often, but it could fit in to my overall plan. I went to Aldi first and then Walmart; then my regular grocery store, where I bought just a couple of things.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. I don't care about name brands, but so many things had hydrogenated oil or corn syrup. And the atmosphere was not pleasant.

The corn syrup thing is funny to me, because Aldi is the only place I can find refrigerated pickles that don't have HFCS - Claussen's does, and I don't see many store-brands that aren't shelf-stable. They recently started offering "natural" applesauce, and the bag of potato chips I just bought have no hydrogenated oils. I still have to buy Hunt's ketchup and name-brand dressings, but I can't think of much else I have to pass on.

That's funny to me too. Someone mentioned HFCS on a previous thread about Aldi. I guess we buy different items, because nothing I bought today has HFCS. No hydrogenated oils either. I spent $90 there which is actually a lot to spend at Aldi.

WRT the look of the store, I guess advertisers have been very successful convincing us that a store has to have a certain look in order for us to believe it has quality items.

Well, I'm still mulling my Aldi experience over in my mind. The bags - not an issue. I bring reusable bags to grocery shop anyway. I didn't know that was their schtick, but I happened to have brought my bags anyway.

I'm not at all bothered by the un-fancy appearance and I don't care if the food is brand or not. I buy generics anyway. However, I am worried about counterfeiting. Are these products simply generics or are they counterfeit? It looks a little sketchy to me to have a jar that is stylistically a dead ringer or Hellman's mayo, but isn't Hellman's in fact. Is it law-breaking or simply a creative generic? If it's actually a counterfeit, all bets are off on the labeling, which concerns me. But if it's merely generic and half the price, I could not care less. If we like it, we like it. Generic razors still shave hair.

The cart deposit really did bother me a little. I wasn't sure how the return was going to work, but it was moot because a lady asked for my cart. She even gave me the quarter.

It doesn't bother me to pay cash, although I am used to using my credit card. It would take a little bit more planning, but it might be worth it.

The savings - well, I can certainly see how this could save quite significantly. This Aldi is not very convenient for me, though, and I can't see the likelihood that I'm going to go often, but it could fit in to my overall plan. I went to Aldi first and then Walmart; then my regular grocery store, where I bought just a couple of things.

If you go back, someone linked the Frugal Girl blog. She has visited Aldi's corporate headquarters and their test kitchens where they work out the recipes for their brand. All their products are their own generic line, they are not counterfeits.

Are these products simply generics or are they counterfeit? It looks a little sketchy to me to have a jar that is stylistically a dead ringer or Hellman's mayo, but isn't Hellman's in fact. Is it law-breaking or simply a creative generic? If it's actually a counterfeit, all bets are off on the labeling, which concerns me. But if it's merely generic and half the price, I could not care less. If we like it, we like it. Generic razors still shave hair.

The products are generic. Every few years, there is a law suit by the brand name company who finds that the Alid (or other discounter's) packaging is a little too close to the original product, but those are their store brands. Some are very close to the brand name look-similar; others taste very different.

On the question of counter-fit products, there was an Aldi / Trader Joe's connection. This was discussed way back when on the old board and the discussion prompted my to try Aldi's.

I don't buy a lot of canned or pre-made foods. One of our local Aldi's has a wonderful selection of fresh produce (most of which is US grown) and the prices are much less than even Walmart. As I mentioned earlier, I tend to go for the German goodies there..

I would encourage you to try it a few more times to find your favorite products (which are generic, not counterfeit). Even shopping there twice a month enables us to save at least $50, if not more. I would think if you stuck to dairy and canned goods, for example, you could still save a pretty penny. I hope it works out for you!

I have only ever lived in one place that had an Aldi's and unfortunately it was of the gross, smelly, horrible produce kind. I think I might give it another try if it ever came to Western Australia (the state government here is blocking it from coming in for some reason) just to try to save soem money on our grocery bill.

I've tried it a few times, but I just don't like it because:

1. Can't use my credit card--I get cash back on credit card purchases but my debit card doesn't have a rewards program like that.

2. They didn't have all that I needed.--It wasn't worth it for me to drive there, get some of the groceries, then drive another 10-15 min away to another store to get the rest. In summer, I'd have to go home in between to drop off the cold/freezer items, which took even more time.

3. The one near me is in an awkward location, parking lot is not fun to get into (and is rather small)

4. The produce at the one near me was never all that great, and they really only had a few things

That's funny to me too. Someone mentioned HFCS on a previous thread about Aldi. I guess we buy different items, because nothing I bought today has HFCS. No hydrogenated oils either. I spent $90 there which is actually a lot to spend at Aldi.

WRT the look of the store, I guess advertisers have been very successful convincing us that a store has to have a certain look in order for us to believe it has quality items.

I tried to quote the other person who said this too but I don't know how to do multiquote at this forum apparently.

I have been there one time only, so there is that. I went in June when we had a bunch of unexpected large expenses come up at once, so I was trying to scale our grocery bill way back for that month. It definitely is cheaper, but I just found it hard to find anything we would use. I can't remember what I looked at with the hfcs and the hydrogenated oil. I actually don't buy many packaged foods, but I always buy boxed mac and cheese for my one child who won't eat much for lunch (yes, gross, but I need quick things for lunch on school days and he is so picky it drives me nuts. I usually buy Annie's mac and cheese), so that might be what had hydrogenated oil, but I'm not positive. I think the canned diced tomatoes had either hfcs or sugar, I find sugar just as gross in tomatoes, but I know some people don't care. So it's just a ymmv, people buy different things kind of situation. And I can't recall what exactly I bought since it was 7 months ago. I just know that for my purposes, and what my family needs, Aldi's was a bust and I haven't been back. The produce at mine was awful too.

The only difference is between my and her grocery store. Is at my store you don't have to drop in 25 cents to get a cart. Mind you, you may not take the cart out of the store. It's impossible. (Well unless you can life it above your waist and carry it over the polls blocking the path.

There''s an Asian market that does that here. HATEHATEHATEHATE it.

I just went to Aldi today, and apparently they are launching a new line called Simply Nature. All natural and many organic selections. Organic sharp raw milk cheddar cheese. Uncured pepperoni pizza. Organic frozen strawberries and blueberries. Organic free range chicken broth. I shop at Aldi frequently, especially for many of our basics. The produce is usually good, but I can get better produce for cheaper at a local mom & pop store. I buy our deli items, fresh meat, and most produce at the mom & pop. But I will buy all these items at Aldi if I don't plan to go to the other store soon. I appreciate the size, and the simple selection. You either want canned green beans, or you don't. There aren't myriad options for every item. Aldi ketchup has HFCS, so I have to buy that elsewhere, but I haven't noticed HFCS in anything else we buy. And today I bought dark chocolate covered gingerbread hearts with apricot filling for 99 cents! What's not to love about that? ;)

It's generic. Counterfeit would actually have the word Hellman's on it.

There was an idiotic special on TV a little while about that was SUPPOSED to be about counterfeiting. Most of what was discussed wasn't counterfeit. It was copyright or trademark infringement, or it was stuff that didn't go through quality testing, like extension cords that weren't UL listed. It was absurdly sloppy "journalism."

This is none of those things. It's generic. And it's owned by a VERY large German corporation, not some Asian smuggling ring.

And today I bought dark chocolate covered gingerbread hearts with apricot filling for 99 cents! What's not to love about that? ;)

That reminds me, a few weeks ago I saw chocolate covered potato chips in the seasonal aisle. Disgusting! I don't care what they do on those cooking competitions, chocolate and potatoes just don't go together!

It's generic. Counterfeit would actually have the word Hellman's on it.

There was an idiotic special on TV a little while about that was SUPPOSED to be about counterfeiting. Most of what was discussed wasn't counterfeit. It was copyright or trademark infringement, or it was stuff that didn't go through quality testing, like extension cords that weren't UL listed. It was absurdly sloppy "journalism."

This is none of those things. It's generic. And it's owned by a VERY large German corporation, not some Asian smuggling ring.

Good to know. Doesn't the copyright infringement issue come up with these products, though? Honestly, it does bother me that they are meant to appear to be the brand, but stop just short of being a convincing copy.

Then how are you supposed to get your groceries to the car?

You either carry them or you abandon the cart and pull your car up next to it. When I got to the Asian grocery, I want 6 months of bulk supplies. I risk abandoning it for a moment.

Good to know. Doesn't the copyright infringement issue come up with these products, though? Honestly, it does bother me that they are meant to appear to be the brand, but stop just short of being a convincing copy.

TONS of other generics do this. It depends on what is trademarked, but it almost never amounts to infringement. That's very costly.

However, I am worried about counterfeiting. Are these products simply generics or are they counterfeit? It looks a little sketchy to me to have a jar that is stylistically a dead ringer or Hellman's mayo, but isn't Hellman's in fact. Is it law-breaking or simply a creative generic? If it's actually a counterfeit, all bets are off on the labeling, which concerns me. But if it's merely generic and half the price, I could not care less. If we like it, we like it. Generic razors still shave hair.

Again, Aldi develops and packages these products themselves. They are not "counterfeit" anything. They don't claim to be the brand name. It is no different from the generics or house brands you see at any other store.

Again, Aldi develops and packages these products themselves. They are not "counterfeit" anything. They don't claim to be the brand name. It is no different from the generics or house brands you see at any other store.

Exactly.

They don't even say "Compares to" as the Walmart generics (such as body wash and other toiletries) that are not only similar in packaging, but also list the product they are imitating.

Of course the labels look similar to the brand name product - they all do that, so that the customer can see the similarity. But at Aldi's their brand does not sit next to the label brand, because the store brand is the only thing they sell.

Aldi has been in Europe back in the days when I was a kid there. What Quill described instantly took me back a couple of decades. I wonder if they totally copied their store design from Europe. I have never been in an Aldi in the states since there are none in my neck of the woods.

I would have to research food quality, anything else I can live with.

Aldi came to our part of Texas a few years ago. It was like going in a German store except for the language part. Same layout, etc.

Made me smile.

I live just down the street from our Aldi's and I just can't stand shopping there. Half the store isn't even food. It is junk toys and other low quality stuff. They don't carry items with any consistency. I can't go there with a list and have any confidence that they will have most of what I need. They may or may not have pasta that week. Their produce is all pre-packaged and I can't inspect it for rot. I also can't buy produce in the amount that I need. I would have to buy three shrink wrapped green peppers and I only needed one, assuming they have green peppers when I need them. The milk comes from several states away, which is weird because I live in a dairy state. Their meat was all smoked or preserved in some way.

I live in the working class part of town and I am glad that Aldi's opened up a store here. Lots of folks here don't have a car and it is within easy walking distance. I just wish they sold fresher, better quality food.

To answer the query re allergen information:

My cookie bag has a bolded line for "CONTAINS WHEAT AND SOY", followed by a bolded line "MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF MILK, EGG, AND TREE NUTS"

My (Aldi cheerios) cereal has allergen info bolded as well "ALLERGEN INFORMATION: WHILE EVERY PRECAUTION HAS BEEN TAKEN TO PREVENT CORSS-CONTAMINATION, THIS CEREAL WAS MADE ON A LINE THAT ALSO PROCESSES WHEAT AND SOY, AND IN A FACILITY THAT ALSO PROCESSES PEANUTS AND ALMONDS" My other boxes have similar, but with a "contains wheat and grains may contain soy" warning in bold.

I shop at Aldi very regularly for hormone free milk, which is about a third cheaper than anywhere else, cheese, bread (no HFCS), cereal, spices and baking needs, eggs, canned beans, frozen fancy green beans, wild caught salmon, ice cream. Meat is not cheaper than in reg. grocery store on sale, produce is hit or miss. I'm thrilled to hear about them offering organic produce, because that is usually why I go to another grocery as well.

I love the Aldi workers too, they are really helpful and friendly.

That reminds me, a few weeks ago I saw chocolate covered potato chips in the seasonal aisle. Disgusting! I don't care what they do on those cooking competitions, chocolate and potatoes just don't go together!

I saw those today, and said, "Eew, gross!'' out loud. Then my sons had to know why, and they thought it was gross too. Blech.

I'm thrilled to hear about them offering organic produce, because that is usually why I go to another grocery as well.

Just to clarify, I didn't see any fresh organic produce in the flyer. A variety of organic products including frozen organic berries, but no mention of fresh organic produce.

They take debit cards.

Also, I know how much my grocery budget is.

You get the quarter back when you return the cart.

It's not that hard. I promise.

We don't have debit cards, only credit cards. I don't completely understand the point of debit cards, but I do know you don't get the points. I don't carry much cash, and I never have clue how much my groceries will be that week. It depends on what we see when we get there.

From what everyone is saying, I'll stick with my far away Kroger even if they don't have cupholders for my coffee on their carts! LOL!

And that products must have a "brand name" in order to be good.

I don't think it's necessarily true that products must have a brand name in order to be good, but many of us have favorite products from particular brands, and Aldi simply doesn't carry them.

I don't mind trying a new brand (Aldi's own brand or something else) here and there, but in order to do even some of my shopping at Aldi, I would have to buy almost all new products, because they don't sell any of the brands that I usually purchase. I don't see any reason to do that; it's inconvenient and would involve a lot of trial and error, because even if the quality is as good as the brands I usually buy, the taste is probably different. Sure, sometimes the taste may be better than my regular brand, but most of the time, I would just as soon stick with the tried-and-true, rather than having to experiment with a bunch of new products that we might not like.

And FWIW, I prefer to shop in a nicer store. The Aldi we visited was so no-frills that I found myself wondering, much like Quill may have, where they got all of that no-name junk they were selling straight out of the big ugly giant cartons. It just wasn't a pleasant place to shop. I can absolutely understand why she may have wondered if some of the products were counterfeit or otherwise suspect. The overall look of the store we visited didn't exactly inspire confidence.

And really, the prices should be cheap. It's all generic stuff in brown cardboard "displays" in an unattractive little store where they don't even bag your groceries for you. The selection is lousy and I can't imagine how you could shop there without also shopping in other stores, because there is so much that they don't offer.

I'm not trying to be a food snob here, but the Aldi store we visited certainly didn't inspire a return visit. Maybe others are a lot nicer. I have read in this thread about some good stuff at Aldi, like good produce and organic stuff, none of which seemed to be in the store when I was there, and I know a lot of people shop there and like their food, but it just seems like there would be a huge learning curve, just trying to figure out what to try. (I suppose I could start with the chocolate... you know... for scientific research purposes... ;))

ALDI=cheap, top quality chocolate, Swiss or German made. Not to be missed. :)

I actually buy most staples, veggies and fruits there, as a pp mentioned single ingredient items. I know for sure their stuff is re-packaged name brand, though, because once I bought a box of name brand shredded wheat and it was the self same, no difference, absolutely spot on, product. Back in the 80's it was anyone's guess where they got their cereal. Now it's definitely top of the line stuff. I love ALDI and do the bulk of my shopping there every week, except meat (which I get at the butcher) and some baking supplies.

If they took credit cards, I'd shop there some..... I don't mind the cart deposit or bringing my own bags but payment matters. I can't imagine having to put food back because I didn't plan my cash properly and we do not use debit cards as they are far riskier in terms of fraud than credit cards. I love Trader Joe's and is different than Aldi's. They are owned by the same man but operate differently. It is not the same food either.......

I wish they took credit cards. I usually go with $20 - $25 dollars in cash and that is all I spend. It's nice in a way because I really have to think about what I buy -- I don't just throw stuff in the cart; I have to prioritize. Aldi is about the only place I pay cash.

Incidentally, I used to shop at Aldi in Germany -- it was a great, cheap place for a student. I was absolutely thrilled when I saw my first Aldi in the US. They do carry a lot of European items there -- sometimes you don't even realize it because it's just a regular item, KWIM? Generally, I'd prefer to buy food products imported from Germany or Italy rather than China. Aldi quality is pretty good -- I've only had a few items I was less than thrilled about. Like Trader Joe, you can return any item, even if opened, for a full refund.

We don't have debit cards, only credit cards. I don't completely understand the point of debit cards, but I do know you don't get the points. ....

You get 2-5% back with credit cards.

ALDI's is 15% cheaper than Wal-mart and 30% cheaper than the average grocery store.

The math works out only one way.

I definetely think the cleanliness of store varies greatly. Years ago, I went to Aldi's in a nearby town, since we didn't have one then, and it was dark, dirty and gross. Two years ago our town had an Aldi's store open and it is clean and I shop there regularly. I live in a small town that has 1 Walmart and two home town stores and now an Aldi's. Aldi's has definitely helped my food bill. The produce is usually very nice looking at our local Aldi's. I have found a few things that I will not buy from Aldi's : mayo, mac-n-cheese, soup. I save $5.00 alone just on the coffee!

Very interesting read.

I have an Aldi's literally around the corner from our house. I've been once, and it definitely was not a place I planned to shop regularly.

I'm going back today after reading all this, and since I do need milk and basics - I will have an open mind and might even take some pictures. lol

Fingers crossed.

You get 2-5% back with credit cards.

ALDI's is 15% cheaper than Wal-mart and 30% cheaper than the average grocery store.

The math works out only one way.

But we put everything on credit cards is what I'm sayting, not just groceries. It has nothing to do with 'the math', the points are just a plus at the end.

What I still don't get is why people like debit cards. They don't seem to offer the protection of credit cards and don't get the plus of points at the end.

But even if it's cheaper than the grocerty store it's not worth the trouble to have to take out cash, and then having to tally everything I buy as I buy it to make sure I've got enough cash.

If I want cheaper I'll go to the commissary. They not only bag, but bring it to the car. Unfortunately the Starbucks there in in a different building you have to drive to first!

What I still don't get is why people like debit cards. They don't seem to offer the protection of credit cards and don't get the plus of points at the end.

If you would write a check, you would use a debit card. A debit card is quicker and easier than writing a check, and you don't have to remember to reload the checkbook or buy more checks. The VISA check card from our credit union offers the protection of a credit card. Many debit cards are like this. We don't use credit cards. Period. Not for cash back, not for points, not for anything. Though we have one for emergencies, we fortunately haven't come across a true emergency since we stopped using credit cards 9 years ago.

If you would write a check, you would use a debit card. A debit card is quicker and easier than writing a check, and you don't have to remember to reload the checkbook or buy more checks. The VISA check card from our credit union offers the protection of a credit card. Many debit cards are like this. We don't use credit cards. Period. Not for cash back, not for points, not for anything. Though we have one for emergencies, we fortunately haven't come across a true emergency since we stopped using credit cards 9 years ago.

But don't you have to balance a debit card just like a checkbook? I hardly ever write checks anymore, and when I do it's for things like field trips or sending graduation money or something like that. Most of bills are auto draft or electronic check.

We use our credit cards for everything. We have the credit card protection for both the cards and the accounts, but also for what we purchased. Plus the money sits in our account all month gaining interest instead of being pulled out slowly all month. I've just never understood the plus to them over credit cards.

But don't you have to balance a debit card just like a checkbook? I hardly ever write checks anymore, and when I do it's for things like field trips or sending graduation money or something like that. Most of bills are auto draft or electronic check.

Of course, but we pay "cash" for nearly everything. By cash, I mean we pay right now, not at the end of the month. No one knows what the end of the month will bring, so saying we'll pay off the balance every month assumes nothing financially catastrophic will happen. It's a personal choice we made years ago.

ETA: My response was to your question about why anyone would use a debit card. Well, since we choose not to use credit cards, we could carry cash, write checks, or use a debit card. We choose the latter. And it does have the protection of a credit card.

I tried to quote the other person who said this too but I don't know how to do multiquote at this forum apparently.

Click on MultiQuote for each person you want to quote. Then when you're ready to reply there will be a black rectangle that says something like (I'm trying to remember since I'm not multi-quoting right now) "Reply to X number of quoted posts". Something like that. If you just start typing in the reply box, I don't think it quotes the posts you selected.

I think the canned diced tomatoes had either hfcs or sugar, I find sugar just as gross in tomatoes, but I know some people don't care.

They don't contain either actually. I bought 4 cans yesterday for last night's soup. I was going to list the ingredients from my can, but I'll just link it instead. Apparently Happy Harvest is not just Aldi's brand, though I thought it was. Does every Aldi in every state use the same brand? I don't know. I do know that in my local Aldi, there are many many products without unacceptable ingredients.

I just went to Aldi today, and apparently they are launching a new line called Simply Nature. All natural and many organic selections. Organic sharp raw milk cheddar cheese. Uncured pepperoni pizza. Organic frozen strawberries and blueberries. Organic free range chicken broth. I shop at Aldi frequently, especially for many of our basics. The produce is usually good, but I can get better produce for cheaper at a local mom & pop store. I buy our deli items, fresh meat, and most produce at the mom & pop. But I will buy all these items at Aldi if I don't plan to go to the other store soon. I appreciate the size, and the simple selection. You either want canned green beans, or you don't. There aren't myriad options for every item. Aldi ketchup has HFCS, so I have to buy that elsewhere, but I haven't noticed HFCS in anything else we buy. And today I bought dark chocolate covered gingerbread hearts with apricot filling for 99 cents! What's not to love about that? ;)

I'll have to check this out! I've gone to Aldi's since I was a kid (with parents), but we don't have one near here. I go when I'm out of town and stock up on some cheaper foods. My budget is so tight, I can't let something like a knockoff label keep me from getting a deal!

I saw that in the circular! Can't wait to try it! :)

I don't have aldi. I have save alot any of you go there?

We do. My relative small city (just over 40K population) has Aldi, Sav-a-Lot (2), Publix (2), Winn Dixie (2), Super Walmart, and a Target that isn't Super Target but has the new fresh food section. We are not deprived of grocery stores, but that's about all we have. :laugh:

There has been a Sav-a-Lot for as long as I can remember and it was dirty and nasty for as long as I can remember. Recently a second one opened in an old Winn Dixie building (we used to have 3 W/D) and is much nicer and very clean. I was talking to the manager there and she said at the old store only she and one other employee cared about their job. She's in charge of the new store and is hoping to keep good employees. I get some things there. Our Sav-a-Lot must cater to migrant workers because of the kinds of products they carry. I go there when I want Mexican brands or items that I have a hard time finding elsewhere. I still like Aldi better, though they're about equal in prices.

Really? OK well what can you buy there? It is in the next town and I only went once and got overwhelmed by the parking lot. Very very packed so I left lol.

I buy all staples: flour, sugar milk (no growth hormones), butter, cream cheese, pasta, canned tomatoes, rice, corn flakes, oatmeal, coffee, frozen veggies and fish

all sorts of cheese

fresh produce (in our store, best quality in town; prepacked, limited selection - but sufficient for us)

German cookies and chocolate

I do not buy: eggs (no free range), meat (all with solution injected

But basically, they have pretty much everything.

ETA: Ours is extremely full at the first of the months when people get food stamps. It is by far the cheapest grocery store, so they all shop there. The difference between beginning and end of month is staggering.

I buy all staples: flour, sugar milk (no growth hormones), butter, cream cheese, pasta, canned tomatoes, rice, corn flakes, oatmeal, coffee, frozen veggies and fish

all sorts of cheese

fresh produce (in our store, best quality in town; prepacked, limited selection - but sufficient for us)

German cookies and chocolate

I do not buy: eggs (no free range), meat (all with solution injected

But basically, they have pretty much everything.

ETA: Ours is extremely full at the first of the months when people get food stamps. It is by far the cheapest grocery store, so they all shop there. The difference between beginning and end of month is staggering.

What? What does that mean? I read things on this board that make me wanna never eat agin!

I go there almost weekly, but it is near a homeschool activity. It is small enough and so predictable that I am in and out in about 30 minutes. I get their emailed filier so that I know the specials.

I get mostly pantry staples, German items, and a few select items from the refridgerated and freezer sections. It is not my primary grocery store by any means. You can certainly buy a lot of junk there, but that is true of any grocery store.