Menu

Hmmm. Explain Aldi's grocery store to me.

Ginevra

I think it has to do with the management at the individual stores. The WalMart I shop at (and the Sam's next door) are diligent with cart collecting. There is never very many carts in the parking lot.

Yes, I agree. When I took a trip to Colorado Springs, I was shocked and astounded at the volume of rogue carts in the lot! (Sorry Margaret in CO! ;) ) I definitely thought MD Walmarts are better about gathering up carts. ;)

I better be careful. I know this shopping cart etiquette is a hot topic and I seem to be stepping in it wherever I walk recently.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa -- hold the phone, people!!! :eek:

No one mentioned anything about Aldi selling cupcakes! If they sell cupcakes, it could change everything, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I was considering going there again just for the German chocolate I've been reading about, but if there is also a reasonable chance that there will be cupcakes, I will totally re-think every last negative thing I have ever thought about Aldi.

I actually bought a 12-pack of mini red velvet cupcakes at Aldi the day before Christmas Eve for $0.99. They were for a party, and I can't eat them, so I don't know how they tasted, but there weren't many left by the end of the night.

This thread persuaded me to try Aldi's again. (I went there once, two years ago, bought and ate their store brand hot dogs, and got a raging migraine. It was my fault, not Aldis, for not remembering my nitrate issue, but somehow I never got around to going back.)

Anyhow, I just cracked open their $3 "Winking Owl" merlot and Oh. My. Gosh. I have paid so much more for less tasty wine.

The produce was not impressive (except apples, they seemed identical to our region's conventional apples from a regular store), but I was mostly there for ingredients and convenience foods anyhow. Great price on cheeses. Great price on turkey ham for school lunches. I went shopping hungry and wound up buying a bag on BBQ chips, and they were tasty as well. Next time I'll definitely try the chocolate!

Yep, ours has a Subway, no photo studio but a hair salon AND a nail salon. You really could live there. It never closes either. I don't love it, but it's the cheapest place in town to shop unless I want to drive 25 min to Costco and Winco (which I also do frequently), and it's very convenient to my house.

Does this make you think of The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler? I have sometimes contemplated running away and living in Wal Mart... (not really! ;) )

Does this make you think of The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler? I have sometimes contemplated running away and living in Wal Mart... (not really! ;) )

It actually made me think of the Natalie Portman movie where she was living in Walmart. I can't think of the name right now...

With all the talk of Aldi, and knowing there is one near my home that friends shop at, I decided to give it a try.....

4 single serving greek yogurt 89¢ each

1/2 gallon lactose free milk $2.79

1/2 1% milk $1.99

32 oz vanilla yogurt $1.99

penguin crackers (like goldfish) $1.49

2lbs 10 oz old fashioned oats $2.19

Baking powder 99¢

3lbs white rice $1.69

2lb 8oz ketchup $1.49

sardines 99¢

2oz vanilla $1.99

45 kitchen bags $4.99

Baklava $2.50 (I couldn't resist, and it was pretty good!)

My total was $28.95

It would have been $55 at both Giant and Safeway (I checked with their online shopping program). Both of those are higher end stores. There are 2 lower priced stores (Mars and Food Lion), but neither one has online shopping so I cannot compare their prices. I assume they'll be in the middle, around $40, I would think.

Things I noticed...

• they do have an organic label now, Simply Nature
  • the only thing that has HFCS is the ketchup, which I didn't notice until I got home (oops!)
  • the produce was not expensive and looked pretty good
  • I didn't look at the meat because I have a freezer full already
  • the store was spotless
  • there was only one checkout open, but she was fast, although not very friendly
  • the clearance stuff was all Christmas/Holiday oriented - gingerbread houses, cookie cutters, etc

Just my experience. I'll be going back if everything tastes good. I'll go back just for the oatmeal - less than half what I normally pay! Plus, they had steel cut oats too!!!!!!

Well we rather enjoy being responsible adults as well, and becuase we are responsible adults we don't have to pay attention to what I'm spending at the grocery store.

Hunh. I see it the completely opposite way. I tend to think the fact that dh and I set a grocery budget and stick to it IS responsible.

Interesting how totally different our viewpoints are.

Hunh. I see it the completely opposite way. I tend to think the fact that dh and I set a grocery budget and stick to it IS responsible.

Interesting how totally different our viewpoints are.

Seriously? Are we back to this crap again?

First off I never said someone who budgets for the grocerty store is irresponsible.

I was responding to the post where I was told I was NOT a responsible adult because I didn't have a grocery budget. Guess what? I don't have one because I don't need one. I don't need one because we are very responsible for our money.

What I do think is irresponible and happens all the time on here, is people responding to posts, which are responses to other posts, but people haven't read what the comment is orginally in response to.

For the record, I don't see our view points as different. If you need to shop within a budget, with a grocery list, and you do then that's responible. If you need to shop within a budget, and you don't, then that is not the most responisble thing to do. However if you manage your money so you don't need a budget for groceries, that's actually pretty responisble as well.

However there are a lot of people out there that don't need a grocery budget. If their groceries are $150 most weeks and then $250 or $300 the next, it changes nothing for them. Maybe that week we wouldn't go out to dinner. A lot of people live this way. Not everyone makes a menu plan for week or month. I've tried, really I have. Usually I end up wasting food as it goes bad before we use it all because even if I make a menu plan, I never know when we are going to decide to eat out or something will come up. I buy about 4 dinners worth of food a week. Between left overs and eating out, this covers us. I go back to the store when we need more food.

Seriously? Are we back to this crap again?

First off I never said someone who budgets for the grocerty store is irresponsible.

I was responding to the post where I was told I was NOT a responsible adult because I didn't have a grocery budget. Guess what? I don't have one because I don't need one. I don't need one because we are very responsible for our money.

What I do think is irresponible and happens all the time on here, is people responding to posts, which are responses to other posts, but people haven't read what the comment is orginally in response to.

For the record, I don't see our view points as different. If you need to shop within a budget, with a grocery list, and you do then that's responible. If you need to shop within a budget, and you don't, then that is not the most responisble thing to do. However if you manage your money so you don't need a budget for groceries, that's actually pretty responisble as well.

However there are a lot of people out there that don't need a grocery budget. If their groceries are $150 most weeks and then $250 or $300 the next, it changes nothing for them. Maybe that week we wouldn't go out to dinner. A lot of people live this way. Not everyone makes a menu plan for week or month. I've tried, really I have. Usually I end up wasting food as it goes bad before we use it all because even if I make a menu plan, I never know when we are going to decide to eat out or something will come up. I buy about 4 dinners worth of food a week. Between left overs and eating out, this covers us. I go back to the store when we need more food.

Wow. I honestly, truly thought it was interesting how different our viewpoints are.

Clearly I struck a nerve, which wasn't my intention. My apologies.

\

I see this as a problem with this new board format. Before we could respond to a comment and it would appear right under THAT comment. Now (unless there is a way I haven't figure out) even if you quote someone or respond to them the comment shows up at the bottom of the thread. Then it appears that your comment was about the post right above it when you might be responding to something earlier in the thread.

Don't know if that makes sense or not but I really miss being able to see the threaded comments to know who was responding to WHICH post.

Wow. I honestly, truly thought it was interesting how different our viewpoints are.

Clearly I struck a nerve, which wasn't my intention. My apologies.

But our view points aren't different. I think anyone that can live within the money they have is responisble.

I never said they weren't responsible.

What bothers me is the responding to what is really only one side of a conversation. You were one of a number that commented on my comment. A response to someone else, which when read in context, does not accuse anyone of anything but points out the other side of their comment. And this is just one of many threads that I see this happening in often. That and answers that really make no sense or ask things clearly pointed out in an orginal post. We as a group, especially before posting, need to do a better job at reading and not just skimming.

But our view points aren't different. I think anyone that can live within the money they have is responisble.

I never said they weren't responsible.

What bothers me is the responding to what is really only one side of a conversation. You were one of a number that commented on my comment. A response to someone else, which when read in context, does not accuse anyone of anything but points out the other side of their comment. And this is just one of many threads that I see this happening in often. That and answers that really make no sense or ask things clearly pointed out in an orginal post. We as a group, especially before posting, need to do a better job at reading and not just skimming.

Bethany, one of the sweetest people I've ever "met" here, apologized.

As someone else said, it's just a grocery store.

ORGANIC?!?!? I must check that out! I went a few weeks ago and didn't see it but I had a specific list and just loaded up and headed out.

We will typically try one new product each time to see if we like it. Don't forget that they will refund your money if you don't like it.

Yep, here's a link to an article from the fall...

http://www.just-food.com/news/aldi-rolls-out-own-label-organic-line_id120448.aspx

My store had many organic items. :hurray:

That reminds me, a few weeks ago I saw chocolate covered potato chips in the seasonal aisle. Disgusting! I don't care what they do on those cooking competitions, chocolate and potatoes just don't go together!

We just polished off a bag of those yesterday. Believe me, you are mistaken! :)

Aldi's cereals are made by General Mills, I'm pretty sure. They are significantly cheaper than the same thing in a different box in a regular grocery store. Dh was skeptical, so we did a blind taste-test of the Aldi and the GM Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch. No difference at all. Sometimes generics will be a bit off, visually, but Aldi's are spot on. I once had a problem with their canned biscuits, and was told they are made by Sara Lee. They even sent me Sara Lee coupons to make up for my problem!

I love Aldi's. I don't buy much of their processed types of food. Here are some staples that are consistenly cheaper than Walmart and sale prices at regular groceries:

flour

sugar

olive oil

nuts

spices

coconut

tubs of oatmeal (quick and old fashioned)

bags of beans

bags of rice

masa

tortillas

spaghetti sauce

pastas

cereals (chex type is what I get for GF)

napkins

tp

love the Lacura face moisturizer in a glass jar for $2!!

eggs

milk

cheese

yogurt

whole wheat bread comparable to Peppridge Farm for $1.89

seasonal produce

chocolate chocolate chocolate

I don't care for their meats too much. I also shop there to donate to our church's food pantry.

I love my Aldi! We can buy

pineapple as cheap as $1.49 as opposed to $3.49 in a regular grocery store.

I love the 85% coco chocolate bars.

The avocado is $0.39 when cheapest.

Oranges are $1.49 for 4 pounds.

It has organic apples and simply nature organic juice.

The ground turkey is $1.50 cheaper per 20oz package than in regular stores.

Too good not to shop there in general.

I am very excited it starts to carry organic fruit.