Menu

Hmmm. Explain Aldi's grocery store to me.

Ginevra

I went to one for the first time ever today. I had to hunt for one first because I wasn't sure where there even was an Aldi's more or less near my home.

That was an interesting and enlightening experience. I think I must be used to snobby grocery stores. :blushing: First, I was wondering if there would be a member card to get the best prices, but once I walked in, I figured that was not very likely. The entrance was so apparently anti-shop-lifting in it's design. It gave me the willies. Then there was the .25 deposit on the shopping cart that I have never seen before in my life. As I was coming up to the check-out, it occurred to me that they most likely take cash or debit only, which turned out to be correct - glad I realized it.

The food was so cheap, but so...strange. It brought to mind the documentary I recently watched about counterfeighters. The show said the biggest $ in counterfeit goods is not Prada purses and Nike shoes, it's groceries. They were showing shipping containers filled with laundry detergent that appeared in style, font, color, design to be Tide, except that it was called "Laundry Time". Well, anyway, Aldi's products look like this too. Mayonnaise that appears to be Hellmans, but isn't; gelatin that appears to be Jell-o, but isn't, cooking chocolate that appears to be Bakers, but isn't and so on. What is going on here? Are these counterfeit goods or just generics made by Aldi but packaged to look very, very similar?

Aside from the counterfeit question, why is Aldi's so cheap? I spent $35 and could not believe it was so little money.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people here are huge Aldi fans, but I went in there once and never bothered to go back. I was totally unimpressed with their products and selection, and the store was clean, but it still looked kind of plain, like someone had found an empty storefront and just set up a bunch of big boxes and racks filled with generic food. It almost seemed like dollar store food or like I was buying food off of a clearance rack or something. And I noticed the lack of brand name products, too.

I guess a lot of their stuff must be good, because a lot of people shop there, but for me, it's not worth the trip.

I believe the deposit on the buggy is to help them not have to corral carts from all over the parking lot.

They basically are a no frills grocery store that scrimps everything to give customers the cheapest prices. Things like the shopping cart deposit, being only cash or debit (no credit card or bounced check fees) bring your own grocery sacks, etc. are designed to eliminate any unncessary expenses.

The counterfeit/store brand goods is nothing new to me. Many store brands around here are designed to mimic name brand stuff. I chuckle at how creative marketing can be in trying to copy name brands w/out trademark infringement.

It's close to me, so I go EVERY WEEK. I always get milk, eggs, and butter there, and if I'm not couponing, cereal, too. I get my most basic produce there, too, and some canned food basics.

It's cheap because ALDI negotiates for really low rates and accepts NO coupons. Most of the goods are store brand. Like Trader Joe's (owned by same company), ALDI often gets companies to make the same product with their label for less.

The $.25 is so they don't have to pay anyone to get carts. The store setup is to make you walk down that first aisle full of crackers and maybe grab some spur-of-the-moment purchases.

I do most of our grocery shopping there. Some people get bothered by the 25 cents for the grocery cart, but it serves a purpose. No employee costs to put them away, since customers put it back to retrieve their quarter. No big deal to me. Kids like to take care if it for me. They don't sell big named brands which helps with the cost. Sometimes they will carry a familiar brand. We like everything we have gotten from there. There are some things I still get from Walmart or other places that they dont carry. I enjoy how much we save on groceries each week. Some people like the store, some don't.

I actually like the .25 cart thing. They do that at quite a few supermarkets here, and I think it's a good idea, because it keeps the carts from being left in parking spaces and from blowing around in the wind and bashing into parked cars.

It's amazingly effective, too. For some reason, no one seems to want to lose that quarter, so unless we're in the middle of a blizzard or a hurricane, everybody always returns their carts to the corrals.

Aldi's keeps costs down by doing exactly some of the things you noticed.

For example, that quarter deposit on the shopping cart? That means customers return the carts themselves, and Aldi doesn't have to pay an employee to round up carts from all over the parking lot.

They develop and package the majority of their own products, in their own test kitchens. Since they don't have to market and advertise individual products (just doing occasional ads for the chain) and don't have to pay for shelf space in traditional stores, their products cost significantly less than national brands.

They take debit and cash only, because it means they don't pay the fees banks charge to process credit cards.

Their products come from factories packed in boxes that are designed to be opened and left, minimizing the labor necessary to get items on display for sale.

There's more, but you see the pattern? All of those cost savings get passed along to customers, meaning we get good quality products -- all of which come with a guarantee, by the way, that if you don't like it they will refund the cost -- for significantly less money than we'd pay in traditional stores.

I love Aldi for the things I can buy there. As vegans, we don't eat a lot of packaged foods, making many of the items on Aldi's shelves less than useful for us. However, I adore them for things like nuts, spices, certain baking goods, staples that are single ingredient or nearly so foods. I've run a very careful comparison of the cost of purchasing those things at Aldi versus buying even generics at other local stores, and Aldi wins by a mile. (I think I worked out it was something like a 20% savings on those items.) I've also had mostly good experiences with their produce. The selection, again, is a bit limited. And sometimes, if I hit them on the wrong day, things look a little sad and I skip it. But, the majority of the time, I can buy a cart full of nice fresh fruits and veggies for less than what a bag or two would cost at any other store.

I can't do all of my shopping there, but they are wonderful for the things I can buy there. I try to make a stock-up trip every couple of months, since I don't have one super close to me, and buy enough of those items to see me through until the next time.

The Aldi Grocery Experience does make you re-think what you experience at a full-service (and full-price) grocery store.

It may not work for you, but I can vouch for the fact that it has likely saved our family of seven $4000 per year for the past 18 years on groceries.

When our children were all toddlers, it was a great relief knowing that they would not get lost in the store, that I could quickly determine which peanut butter to buy, etc.

Just like personal finance issues, there is an utterly huge spectrum of individual food choices--and some are involuntary due to allergies, etc.

I'm just very thankful for this choice. :)

I have liked almost everything we have gotten from Aldi. The peanut butter and the onion soup mix were the only 2 "misses" we have had. The produce can be very good at prices way less than the grocery store.

The quarter thing can be a pain (esp. if you don't have one) but ofen I will just hand my cart off to someone heading back into the store and not worry about my quarter.

Selection is limited but it is nice not to have to hunt for the best (or cheapest) green beans out of 87 different ones---you just grab the can and go. Also having less fancy choices keeps the food budget down.

I now just keep extra bags/reusable grocery totes in the back of my car. We don't have an Aldi in our town but I do go there every month or so and stock up on the basics.

Near the holiday season they do have fancy cheeses, chocolates, etc. that are very reasonably priced and YUMMY

I love Aldi!!!!!! It is strange if you aren't use to it. It is not meant to carry 'brand name' foods although occasionally they will have something. They are cheap because they are highly efficient. I think most of their products are very good quality. Their 'generic' foods are far superior to any other 'generics' (such as walmart 'great value' for example) in my opinion. Their prices are fantastic. I love that there aren't too many choices. Who really wants to compare the price of 8 brands of one type of cheese anyway? Since having kids Aldi is a blessing. In and out fast. Super fast checkout. The key is to remember your quarter, bags/totes/cooler and cash. I bring a tote and cooler and a few bags for the back of the van. I push the cart out without bagging in the store. I just open up the back of the van and toss the food into the cooler if cold and totes if it's a dry-good item and a few things go into bags (bread, produce.) Then I can go to walmart just for a few things (toiletries, a few brand name groceries I prefer or can't get at aldi.) I try to minimize my time at Walmart :p Their meat is good but I can usually find it cheaper on sales at the fancy grocery stores although Aldi now has sales on Wednesdays for a certain meat. Go back! You'll get addicted. I have made several converts.....

I do about 1/3 of my grocery shopping at Aldi, with the remaining split between Costco and a higher-end local store with a rather large gluten-free section. Our store was just built a year ago, and it's far nicer than any other Aldi I've ever been too. We buy our almond milk, eggs, produce, canned goods, dairy (butter, sour cream, etc.), bacon, tortilla chips, and some baking stuff there. The salt-and-pepper kettle chips are the best chips I've ever had, but I usually only buy them for picnic season. The chocolate almond milk they offer seasonally is so delicious (probably a good thing it's seasonal). And it's the only place I can find strawberry ice cream without artificial color that doesn't cost $6.00 a container.

I grew up with Aldi and bag-your-own stores, and it was quite an adjustment the first time I did a major grocery trip where someone else bagged my stuff. I prefer to do it myself.

Also, my kids behave so much better and help more in Aldi than a regular store. I can ask DS4 to grab something, and he doesn't have to sort through several brands to find the right one. Nor is there the temptation to rearrange shelves, because there are none.

Maybe it's just our store too, but the employees and customers are always so kind in there. People always let customers with several young kids or a small order go in front of them, and we're always chatting up people in the aisles and the cashiers.

Aldi's keeps costs down by doing exactly some of the things you noticed.

For example, that quarter deposit on the shopping cart? That means customers return the carts themselves, and Aldi doesn't have to pay an employee to round up carts from all over the parking lot.

They develop and package the majority of their own products, in their own test kitchens. Since they don't have to market and advertise individual products (just doing occasional ads for the chain) and don't have to pay for shelf space in traditional stores, their products cost significantly less than national brands.

They take debit and cash only, because it means they don't pay the fees banks charge to process credit cards.

Their products come from factories packed in boxes that are designed to be opened and left, minimizing the labor necessary to get items on display for sale.

There's more, but you see the pattern? All of those cost savings get passed along to customers, meaning we get good quality products -- all of which come with a guarantee, by the way, that if you don't like it they will refund the cost -- for significantly less money than we'd pay in traditional stores.

I love Aldi for the things I can buy there. As vegans, we don't eat a lot of packaged foods, making many of the items on Aldi's shelves less than useful for us. However, I adore them for things like nuts, spices, certain baking goods, staples that are single ingredient or nearly so foods. I've run a very careful comparison of the cost of purchasing those things at Aldi versus buying even generics at other local stores, and Aldi wins by a mile. (I think I worked out it was something like a 20% savings on those items.) I've also had mostly good experiences with their produce. The selection, again, is a bit limited. And sometimes, if I hit them on the wrong day, things look a little sad and I skip it. But, the majority of the time, I can buy a cart full of nice fresh fruits and veggies for less than what a bag or two would cost at any other store.

I can't do all of my shopping there, but they are wonderful for the things I can buy there. I try to make a stock-up trip every couple of months, since I don't have one super close to me, and buy enough of those items to see me through until the next time.

I second nearly everything Jenny said. Since we're not vegans, or even vegetarians, I can tell you their meat is high quality and most of their dairy products are hormone and antibiotic free. When the Aldi near me first opened the produce selection was limited and usually had to be used quickly or it would go bad. I don't know what changed, but the selection got bigger and quality got better a few months ago. They even started carrying some organic produce..

The chocolate and wines are wonderful. The have some great imported products, mostly from Germany but also from other parts of Europe.

I used to be an avid couponer, When the show Extreme Couponing ruined it for the rest of us (store coupon policies got very strict, coupons amounts became smaller) I started shopping at Aldi. I love it there. I don't care if quality items aren't beautifully displayed because that lack of display save me big bucks. I don't do 100% of my shopping at Aldi because there are things they just don't carry (and my family only likes Hellman's lol) but it's always my first stop. I then go to another store only to get what I couldn't get at Aldi.

My favorite part is how fast the checkout is! DH noticed that they have bar codes on several (all?) sides of each item so that the checker doesn't have to turn the item to scan it. This seems like a little thing but really adds up. I love the previous person's idea to bag things when you get to the car, I'm TOTALLY going to do that next time. I hate the bagging part because by then my 2 year old is getting really antsy and starts getting into trouble. If I do it at the car I can buckle the little hooligan in her seat first! So brilliant!

I have never been to Aldi's, but would like to try it. Can any of you Aldi's addicts :) tell me if you know about their labeling policies? We have food allergies and are very careful about cross contamination, which is why I have not ventured to Aldi's. Do they label for "may contains" or "produced in a facility that also processes..."?

Thanks for any info!

I'm another Aldi fan! I know even the company has stated that you shouldn't expect to get all of your groceries there. For me, it's the first place I'll stop at before I do the rest of my shopping. If nothing looks good there or they don't have what I want, I just get it at the regular store. I am not impressed with my Aldi's produce at all, for example, so I never get it there. But for basics like eggs, milk, pasta, etc. it's awesome. So much cheaper than anywhere else and no difference in quality.

Ours is kind of gross. It is a bit dirty feeling and smells "off" to me.

A lot of their packaged items seem cheap and low quality. Cookies, bread, crackers, snack bars - I don't like any of the ones I have tried, and I don't think I am a picky person.

Their meat gives me the willies.

On the other hand, I really like the German style coffee. I buy it preground, and I actually think it tastes better than most of the organic coffees I splurge on at Trader Joes. Just writing this is making me want to run out to Aldis and buy some.

I like the shopping cart and baggie thing. I think of it as training Americans not to be so idiotic. Your Mom doesn't work there, so you can't just leave the cart in the parking lot expecting her to follow along after you putting things away:) And the earth doesn't belong to you, so be responsible about bags already.

Recently I bought a frozen lasagna there. I didn't have high hopes. It was actually reasonably good - good enough that I would keep one in the freezer for emergencies so that we don't end up eating out when we shouldn't spend the money.

Their produce is hit and miss for me.

Their employees are, in my experience, unfailingly polite and helpful.

I live in a very competitive grocery store market, and we have a flag ship store for a large chain. It is beautiful. Beautiful meat, beautiful cheese. It's sort of a pleasure to shop there. But Aldis is cheaper by far.

I could not stay in our very small budget without Aldi! I love it! We eat very simply and I rarely have to go to another store. It's so much nicer to go and get everything we need, in the budget and home in 45 minutes and that's with all 3 kids!

I have never been to Aldi's, but would like to try it. Can any of you Aldi's addicts :) tell me if you know about their labeling policies? We have food allergies and are very careful about cross contamination, which is why I have not ventured to Aldi's. Do they label for "may contains" or "produced in a facility that also processes..."?

Thanks for any info!

Several things say "Lactose Free" or "Gluten Free", but they are typically things that are obviously not going to be a problem (like refrigerated pickles). I don't have a lot of packaged food on hand, but I have a ranch dip mix that says "May Contain: Wheat, Soy". We are GF, but DH bought this for a work dish.

If they took credit cards, I'd shop there some..... I don't mind the cart deposit or bringing my own bags but payment matters. I can't imagine having to put food back because I didn't plan my cash properly and we do not use debit cards as they are far riskier in terms of fraud than credit cards. I love Trader Joe's and is different than Aldi's. They are owned by the same man but operate differently. It is not the same food either.......

We love Aldi's, too. My favorite part (OK, chocolate from Germany is my favorite. And the frozen cheesecake.) is the 'weekly specials' aisle. I have gotten the most amazing things on it. I have cookware that rivals Le Creuset, wonderful German knives, wonderful sauces and spices and specialty pastas from Italy, beautiful house plants, bed sheets and down pillows, a fabulous vacuum I got marked down for $30.00...on and on the great things I have found there. It's like an adventure. :)

This thread has me thinking of my SIL.

We live in Canada. But during the summer my SIL went to the US with her family. She was so pleasently shocked with the grocery stores. The stores she usually goes to in Canada you not only have to bag your own grocery's - but you have to buy those plastic bags at 5 cents each. Also the carts always have the deposit 25 cent thing.

The only difference is between my and her grocery store. Is at my store you don't have to drop in 25 cents to get a cart. Mind you, you may not take the cart out of the store. It's impossible. (Well unless you can life it above your waist and carry it over the polls blocking the path.

Aldi is not pretty, but I really don't need that from a grocery store. What they do have is excellent customer service and low prices. I highly value these things. The food is fine....it is either on par with or is better than name brands, imo. I think they have a brilliant business model and I'm happy to shop there.

My favorite part is how fast the checkout is! DH noticed that they have bar codes on several (all?) sides of each item so that the checker doesn't have to turn the item to scan it. This seems like a little thing but really adds up. I love the previous person's idea to bag things when you get to the car, I'm TOTALLY going to do that next time. I hate the bagging part because by then my 2 year old is getting really antsy and starts getting into trouble. If I do it at the car I can buckle the little hooligan in her seat first! So brilliant!

Small laundry baskets work great for this! They are easy to load and unload. They are easy to see what you are putting away. They stack back in the car for the next trip.

We have about 10 of these same baskets that i use all over the house. They are great to hold books (binders fit nicely), laundry, storage items, etc. They stack inside of each other easily and are very durable. They come in several sizes, mine are the M50 size. We have several different colors because I bought them are Ross/ TJ maxx over the years. I think Costco had them several years ago, but I haven't seen them since.

The only difference is between my and her grocery store. Is at my store you don't have to drop in 25 cents to get a cart. Mind you, you may not take the cart out of the store. It's impossible. (Well unless you can life it above your waist and carry it over the polls blocking the path.

Then how are you supposed to get your groceries to the car?

Several things say "Lactose Free" or "Gluten Free", but they are typically things that are obviously not going to be a problem (like refrigerated pickles). I don't have a lot of packaged food on hand, but I have a ranch dip mix that says "May Contain: Wheat, Soy". We are GF, but DH bought this for a work dish.

Thanks! That's enough info to make me think it's worth an email to them to ask about their policy. I *think* Trader Joe's is fairly good about labeling for "may contains" - at least, they were once upon a time. So there's a good chance Aldi's is as well. It's worth a shot! If not, I'm only out some time.

So if you buy a weeks worth of groceries for a family of 4, you can carry all of that?

I can't.

The quarter thing is a minor annoyance for the cost savings. At more expensive stores they have to pay people to take the carts in. So if they don't have to pay people to do that they can charge less for the items in the store.

Then you make do, or ask for assistance .They do let people pull the car up to a spot and then they can load the groceries from the cart to the car. But it's very annoying to do so. (Have to drive strangely to get to spot. Then have to sometimes wait a few minutes for groceries to get to that spot..... Someone might be infront of you, and they can only help one person at a time.)

I admit the lack of cart thing can be annoying. But it is, what it is. With the strange location and design on the store taking carts out is just not possible.

Every month or two Dh goes to a store farther away and buys me lots of heavy things.

We do have a wagon for big trips. Sometimes when walking home I picture myself as Pa Ingalls with a wagon and my two boys pulling it as my oxen. Makes me feel all adventurous and quaint. Mind you they don't like the comparison.

Aldi has been in Europe back in the days when I was a kid there. What Quill described instantly took me back a couple of decades. I wonder if they totally copied their store design from Europe. I have never been in an Aldi in the states since there are none in my neck of the woods.

I would have to research food quality, anything else I can live with.

I don't think I could shop there. LOL

:p I like it since it's in town and only a KM or two away. But most families use the one farther away because it has shopping carts.

I do have a few cashies surprised at how much I can carry for a short distance. (On the off chance I have a car). Most of the customers are single people, or students, or seniors who go shopping at the mall for fun 2 or 3 times a week so little to carry on each trip.

I know a lot of people here are huge Aldi fans, but I went in there once and never bothered to go back. I was totally unimpressed with their products and selection, and the store was clean, but it still looked kind of plain, like someone had found an empty storefront and just set up a bunch of big boxes and racks filled with generic food. It almost seemed like dollar store food or like I was buying food off of a clearance rack or something. And I noticed the lack of brand name products, too.

I guess a lot of their stuff must be good, because a lot of people shop there, but for me, it's not worth the trip.

Ditto. I don't care about name brands, but so many things had hydrogenated oil or corn syrup. And the atmosphere was not pleasant. ETA: And the one time I tried it, the cashier literally threw my stuff into my cart as she rang it up. I know that means nothing, she is one cashier and it doesn't mean they all do that. But the whole experience turned me off and I haven't been back.

I agree. I get name brand items with extreme couponing way cheaper than I'd get worse products at Aldi's. YMMV.

Assuming you have a car. (And not a wagon, book trolley...) You carry them.

That's crazy! So you leave your groceries sitting in a cart, behind bars and just run loads back and forth to your car? So then what you leave your little kids in the car and run back and forth? Leave the kids with the grocieries and run back and forth? Run back and forth with the kid and what you can carry in one hand? Do you take your wagon into the store? Or go get the wagon out of the car and then load it up? Of course then you ahve the problem of getting the groceries into the car and then getting the wagon in (because it has to go in AFTER you take out the groceries!)

I can't believe someone ever thought this was a good idea.

And here I thought I had it bad with only one Kroger and it being so far away at 3 1/2 miles and their carts not having cup holders. Which I think is also sort of stupid. They have Starbucks, but how are you supposed to push the cart while drinking your coffee. All my other stores that have a Starbucks have always had cup holders on the carts!

I'm glad we had this thread. There is an Aldi's over by the base area. Everyone raves on here so much about I always thing we should go try it some day. But I had no idea there were still places that didn't take credit cards. I can't imagine grocery shopping with cash. I'd never have a clue how much money I'd need. I don't care about losing the quarter, but it would make me crazy having to count how much in in my cart so I could have enough cash. What happens if you get half way through and you lose count! LOL!

I went to Aldi's a couple of times in the US and meh, didn't like it much. But in Australia I love it. They have weekly specials which are really good, but not just food, it's all kinds of merchandise. So they might have a toy week where they have all kinds of toys for great prices. Or a ski week where they have winter clothing and accessories. Or a bike week, a camping week, kitchen week with small appliances and cooking accessories, etc. People line up outside the door waiting for it to open the morning the sales start! It's crazy, but their specials are often that good and the really good stuff can go quickly. I don't grocery shop there regularly, but know many that do. They have no artificial colours store-wide. The stores are always clean.

Here it is quite expected to put a coin in a shopping trolley, although here it is $1 or $2 coins. The smallest bill here is $5. You can also buy tokens to keep on your keyring so you always have one available. The carparks are much smaller, so this way there are not trolleys all over the lot blocking spaces. This is at most shopping centres.

At aldi's you also must bring your own bags and bag your own, I didn't see that mentioned above? They ring up your items, you quickly put them all in your trolley then step to the long counter nearby to bag everything, so that no one is waiting on you. I'm definitely an aldi's fan!

Eta: oh, I do see something about bags above. The Aldi's here don't have bags at all. You have to bring your own or just have it all loose in your car. They do take different forms of payment, but you are charged a fee for some. CC I think, debit there is no charge.

But I had no idea there were still places that didn't take credit cards. I can't imagine grocery shopping with cash. I'd never have a clue how much money I'd need. I don't care about losing the quarter, but it would make me crazy having to count how much in in my cart so I could have enough cash. What happens if you get half way through and you lose count! LOL!

They take debit cards.

Also, I know how much my grocery budget is.

You get the quarter back when you return the cart.

It's not that hard. I promise.

The Adi's closest to me (100km) has bags that you can buy. But they also have boxes, we just grab boxes from their stack and load our shopping into them. We turn the boxes into compost, reducing our garbage.

We go once a month. we get things like butter, cheese, tp, feminine hygiene products (which are less than half the price of other places) and exotic things like German cookies and Belgian chocolate.

Thanks! That's enough info to make me think it's worth an email to them to ask about their policy. I *think* Trader Joe's is fairly good about labeling for "may contains" - at least, they were once upon a time. So there's a good chance Aldi's is as well. It's worth a shot! If not, I'm only out some time.

Would you mind sharing what you find about may contains labeling with me?

They take debit cards.

Also, I know how much my grocery budget is.

I have a grocery budget but it's a monthly budget. Some weeks, I spend more, some less. It all works out in the end. With the credit card, I pay it all, once a month. Much easier to keep up with for me.

It depends on the Aldi store. We lived one city to the west, and the Aldi was gross. Spills on the floor, rotten produce, smelled of spoiled milk. I went in ONE time to buy something quickly and was so skeeved out I could not bring myself to return. Fast forward 10 years. We were really needing to pinch in the grocery budget. I decided I will try Aldi again, once more. In our new town, Aldi is very clean and respectable. I was pleasantly surprised that, like Meijer and Kroger, they had milk without hormones and bread without HFCS. As a matter of fact, I have found that most of their things are made with regular sugar. I can even get premium ice cream without HFCS at what would be rock bottom sale price in any other store. Except for really busy or lazy weeks, I always go to Aldi to stretch my grocery pennies. I prefer to bring my own bags anyway, to save trees and plastic consumption.

That's crazy! So you leave your groceries sitting in a cart, behind bars and just run loads back and forth to your car? So then what you leave your little kids in the car and run back and forth? Leave the kids with the grocieries and run back and forth? Run back and forth with the kid and what you can carry in one hand? Do you take your wagon into the store? Or go get the wagon out of the car and then load it up? Of course then you ahve the problem of getting the groceries into the car and then getting the wagon in (because it has to go in AFTER you take out the groceries!)

I can't believe someone ever thought this was a good idea.

Maybe it is different in different where you are than Julie's location. Where we were you can take your cart to your car. You just have to put it back when finished to get your quarter.

Aldi has been in Europe back in the days when I was a kid there. What Quill described instantly took me back a couple of decades. I wonder if they totally copied their store design from Europe.

They are a German chain, and yes, the store design is very similar. In every German supermarket, you have a coin deposit for your cart so that you return it to the corral, and you bag your own stuff.

One reason Aldi is so inexpensive is that they carry no brand names. they have the store brand, and pretty much always only one kind per item: one sort of corn flakes, one brand of milk, etc. (Btw, I do not believe anything is "counterfeit"; it's rather that the brand names surcharge for putting their label on the same product that the store brands sell for cheap, often from the same machine from the same factory)

I have heard that produce quality varies: ours is excellent, the freshest produce in town. Must be because they limit the selection of fruits and vegetables they carry, so everything sells quickly and they have a huge turnover.

I do not like the quality of the meat, as everything is enhanced with solution.

They have a lot of imported cheeses, and much cheaper than at fancy stores.

But I had no idea there were still places that didn't take credit cards. I can't imagine grocery shopping with cash. I'd never have a clue how much money I'd need. I don't care about losing the quarter, but it would make me crazy having to count how much in in my cart so I could have enough cash. What happens if you get half way through and you lose count! LOL!

They take debit cards.

Ditto. I don't care about name brands, but so many things had hydrogenated oil or corn syrup. And the atmosphere was not pleasant. ETA: And the one time I tried it, the cashier literally threw my stuff into my cart as she rang it up. I know that means nothing, she is one cashier and it doesn't mean they all do that. But the whole experience turned me off and I haven't been back.

The corn syrup thing is funny to me, because Aldi is the only place I can find refrigerated pickles that don't have HFCS - Claussen's does, and I don't see many store-brands that aren't shelf-stable. They recently started offering "natural" applesauce, and the bag of potato chips I just bought have no hydrogenated oils. I still have to buy Hunt's ketchup and name-brand dressings, but I can't think of much else I have to pass on.