Menu

Hmmm. Explain Aldi's grocery store to me.

Ginevra

They inject some meats with what is basically a salty solution. Sometimes there is sugar or other ingredients (don't ask me what). It tenderizes the meat, but it also makes the meat taste a bit different and gives it a slightly different texture. I'm not crazy about it so I don't buy meat at Aldi. Plus it adds to the weight of the meat so that is less of a savings really. Aldi isn't the only place that sells these meats. Walmart does. And some regular grocery stores carry them as well. Usually it's labeled something like: "enhanced with X% of X solution".

OK so I am going to start eating well drinking freshly squeezed orange juice and nothing else!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up, we did the majority of our shopping at Aldi's. It was the most boring place in the world but the prices were the best. We don't have one close, but I'm thinking next time I get near one I will check it out. I miss having a variety of places to choose from to buy groceries.

I don't have aldi. I have save alot any of you go there?

Sav-a-lot...Ugh...It is a horrible, horrible place. Well, the two I've been to were horrible. But I sucked it up because we were unemployed, had no vehicle and it was a 5minute walk. I would try another one if it was close to see if it was better out this way. I prefer Aldi's to Sav-a-lot.

I'm jealous that you guys all have such choices! We have an Ingles and a Walmart within a ten minute drive. That's it. I can go about 15 minutes away to Kroger or 20 minutes to Publix, and that's really it. We have an Aldi's but it's over 30 minutes away. *sigh* I love our little town, but I miss having stuff nearby.

Well, I'm still mulling my Aldi experience over in my mind. ...

The cart deposit really did bother me a little. I wasn't sure how the return was going to work, but it was moot because a lady asked for my cart. She even gave me the quarter.

This is basic ALDI etiquette. If no one is there to take your cart and give you back the quarter, simply put your cart back in the cart line, stick the little dangly piece from the cart behind it into the back of the coin holder. It will pop your quarter out so you can take it and be on your way. Easy as pie, and a nice treat for a child sent to return the cart in the rain. :)

I used Aldi when I had more time: I used to go there first and buy everything that I could from my list. Then I'd go on to the standard supermarket (about 100 yards away) and buy the rest. I just had to remember to mark things off on my list as I bought them. I should probably go back to doing that - I saved a lot.

FWIW, three out of the four supermarkets I go to have coin-in-trolley systems. Once you get used to carrying a coin in a pocket of each of your jackets, it's no hassle.

Laura

I used to be a couponer. When I started homeschooling, I found that I didn't have the time or energy to coupon anymore but I also couldn't stand to go to the grocery store and pay full price either. Once you're used to getting an item for pennies, it's virtually impossible to make yourself pay full price for it. The result was that we would up eating out 4-6 nights a week. That was terrible to our budget and to our health alike.

My husband kept encouraging me to try Aldi. I scoffed. "That place looks gross!" "Ewww, generic mayonnaise? Yuck." One day while we were out, we drove past and he quickly turned the car into the lot. "Just check it out.", he said. Sure, why not? We're already here. So in we went.

The first trip was an experience. I was confused about how the shopping cart thing worked. I was a little weirded out by the dim lighting and 1970's styling of the place. But then I started noticing prices. Simple things like a gallon of milk for less than $3, Pepperidge Farm style wheat bread for $1.49, avocados for $.35. We bought a few things and I couldn't believe how much money we saved. The best part was that it didn't require any additional effort on my part. No hours of research and planning and printing and clipping. Nothing. I got up to the checkout and I was not happy. There was ONE cashier, and the line was a mile long. I'm standing there in line, huffing and puffing about how much time we're wasting in this line and within a minute or 2 I was standing there at the belt to put my things up. The cashier says, "Ma'am, please go ahead and put your items up on the belt." I didn't understand because she had just begun checking the lady in front of me. I had plenty of time! Nope. She was done in another minute. We get up there and the total came to about $20. I couldn't believe how much food we'd gotten for $20!

That was about 8 months ago. I go once a week. There are specific items that I buy every single week. Other weeks the items change a little. I can buy for my family of 4 for $75 a week on average. We eat WELL. I don't buy stuff with HCFS and very very few canned foods. I have found the produce selection at my Aldi to be pretty good. Sometimes I will go on an off day but for the most part I usually get a ton of good produce. I buy apples, pears, berries, carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and avocados virtually every single week without fail. I can get in and out of the store in 30-45 minutes. Yes, some weeks there are a handful of items that I cannot get there. Whole wheat flour, for example. Luckily, I have a Food Lion about a mile from my house and I just ask my husband to stop on his way home. I know that many people say that Aldi is terrible for your diet, but I have to disagree. When I was couponing and shopping at nicer stores, I was buying lots of convenience processed foods. Shopping at Aldi has been a healthier decision for our family. It enables me to actually afford to buy things like fresh produce.

This is just my personal experience. We love Aldi. I can't imagine what we'd do without it.

Well, anyway, Aldi's products look like this too. Mayonnaise that appears to be Hellmans, but isn't; gelatin that appears to be Jell-o, but isn't, cooking chocolate that appears to be Bakers, but isn't and so on. What is going on here? Are these counterfeit goods or just generics made by Aldi but packaged to look very, very similar?

Aside from the counterfeit question, why is Aldi's so cheap? I spent $35 and could not believe it was so little money.

They are simply a different brands. Your snobby grocery store has them too. The prices are lower because they don't advertise.

I particularly appreciate that Aldi's bread doesn't have hfcs added. I like their imported chocolates, spaetzle, and German stollen (which they carry over the holidays). I do most of my shopping there for weekly staples, but usually buy meat and our milk substitutes elsewhere.

I know that many people say that Aldi is terrible for your diet, but I have to disagree.

I do not understand that sentiment either. Why should it be terrible for my diet? We eat almost no processed foods and get most of our groceries from Aldi. Two thirds of my shopping cart are usually filled with produce.

That's crazy! So you leave your groceries sitting in a cart, behind bars and just run loads back and forth to your car? So then what you leave your little kids in the car and run back and forth? Leave the kids with the grocieries and run back and forth? Run back and forth with the kid and what you can carry in one hand? Do you take your wagon into the store? Or go get the wagon out of the car and then load it up? Of course then you ahve the problem of getting the groceries into the car and then getting the wagon in (because it has to go in AFTER you take out the groceries!) I can't believe someone ever thought this was a good idea. And here I thought I had it bad with only one Kroger and it being so far away at 3 1/2 miles and their carts not having cup holders. Which I think is also sort of stupid. They have Starbucks, but how are you supposed to push the cart while drinking your coffee. All my other stores that have a Starbucks have always had cup holders on the carts! I'm glad we had this thread. There is an Aldi's over by the base area. Everyone raves on here so much about I always thing we should go try it some day. But I had no idea there were still places that didn't take credit cards. I can't imagine grocery shopping with cash. I'd never have a clue how much money I'd need. I don't care about losing the quarter, but it would make me crazy having to count how much in in my cart so I could have enough cash. What happens if you get half way through and you lose count! LOL!

Wow. You shop in much ritzier places than I've ever seen. I have NEVER seen a grocery store with a Starbucks inside it or cupholders on carts.

Also, many people don't use credit cards at all and have specific grocery budgets. When you CAN'T just stroll through a store throwing whatever you want into a cart, you learn to keep track of what you are spending rather well.

That reminds me, a few weeks ago I saw chocolate covered potato chips in the seasonal aisle. Disgusting! I don't care what they do on those cooking competitions, chocolate and potatoes just don't go together!

Pringles had Pumpkin Pie and Cinnamon Sugar chips out through the holidays. Gag.

LOL. Neither have I.

LOL! They aren't really ritzier. Not like Dean and Deluca and those types. It's just a basic Kroger, not even a Kroger plus. But the HEBs, Stop and Shop, Harris Teeters, Whole Foods, Central Markets and I think Publics all had coffe places. Some Starbucks and some store coffee shops. And that's NY, OH, TX, SC, NC, VA and I think FL. I figured it was the normal at this point since it's everywhere.

I actually like grocery shopping. I like wandering around looking at things, coming up with ideas for dinners, trying the samples, seeing the chef's market recipes and talking to them while having my coffee. Going somewhere like Aldi's would totally ruin the experience for me I think.

I went to one for the first time ever today. I had to hunt for one first because I wasn't sure where there even was an Aldi's more or less near my home.

That was an interesting and enlightening experience. I think I must be used to snobby grocery stores. :blushing: First, I was wondering if there would be a member card to get the best prices, but once I walked in, I figured that was not very likely. The entrance was so apparently anti-shop-lifting in it's design. It gave me the willies. Then there was the .25 deposit on the shopping cart that I have never seen before in my life. As I was coming up to the check-out, it occurred to me that they most likely take cash or debit only, which turned out to be correct - glad I realized it.

The food was so cheap, but so...strange. It brought to mind the documentary I recently watched about counterfeighters. The show said the biggest $ in counterfeit goods is not Prada purses and Nike shoes, it's groceries. They were showing shipping containers filled with laundry detergent that appeared in style, font, color, design to be Tide, except that it was called "Laundry Time". Well, anyway, Aldi's products look like this too. Mayonnaise that appears to be Hellmans, but isn't; gelatin that appears to be Jell-o, but isn't, cooking chocolate that appears to be Bakers, but isn't and so on. What is going on here? Are these counterfeit goods or just generics made by Aldi but packaged to look very, very similar?

Aside from the counterfeit question, why is Aldi's so cheap? I spent $35 and could not believe it was so little money.

DH and I went to an Aldi's once and left without buying anything. We found it creepy for all the things you just said.

The Aldis near me is just nasty. You feel like you need a bath leaving it. It is mainly processed foods and junk. I get better deals from local farms and Wegmans.

i find i can't beat Wegman's for the quality of their produce vs. other grocery stores.

plus, if i do get yucky produce (mealy or weird tasting) wegman's takes it back no questions asked.

If your target has a starbucks, ask them (in starbucks) if they have the cart-cupholders. They do at ours! It's one of those plastic jobbies like you used to be able to hang on your car window, but it fits the cart. It's the coolest thing!

Found a pic online: http://twicsy.com/i/5Uy36

Sometimes, they are in a little basket right as you go in the starbucks area - they ask that you return them when you're done.

Also - I was pleasantly surprised with my Aldi's trip today, and I got a few things mentioned (the salt/pepper chips, some german chocolate, etc.) - I'll definitely be going back. The produce was kind of bleh looking, but they had signs all over saying the truck was late today, so I'm guessing that I might've seen the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

The counterfeit/store brand goods is nothing new to me. Many store brands around here are designed to mimic name brand stuff. I chuckle at how creative marketing can be in trying to copy name brands w/out trademark infringement.

It is the same here in Central Texas. Pretty much our only choices for groceries (not counting Walmart or Target) are H.E.B. and Randall's (Randall's is a Safeway store). Both of them have store brands with labels very close to the name brands. I'm on to them, now, lol; I don't buy store brands

ETA: We also have Sprouts, Whole Foods, and Central Market. All three are higher-end stores and have generally a better quality food (Central Market is owned by H.E.B.). Central Market has its own brand of some products, which I can buy at H.E.B.

I can't imagine grocery shopping with cash. I'd never have a clue how much money I'd need. I don't care about losing the quarter, but it would make me crazy having to count how much in in my cart so I could have enough cash. What happens if you get half way through and you lose count! LOL!

Um, seriously? I can't imagine not paying attention to what you're spending. We budget, not because we have to in order to survive but because we rather enjoy being responsible adults. I make a list then jot down what items cost when I cross them off. Add it up at the end. You can even use a calculator if your mental math is rusty! ;) I'm anal about just about everything so it's probably just me but the lackadaisical attitude in this post is making me twitchy. Lol!

I can't imagine grocery shopping with cash. I'd never have a clue how much money I'd need. I don't care about losing the quarter, but it would make me crazy having to count how much in in my cart so I could have enough cash. What happens if you get half way through and you lose count! LOL!

I admit I don't keep track of the cost of what I'm buying.

I just think of how much I can carry. :p (I'm the woman who shops at a grocery store where you can't take the cart with you when you leave the store. I also walk to the store so have to carry the groceries all the way home.

I am now a wonderful judge of how much stuff will fit in my knapsack. It's not just a science, it's an art form.

I don't have aldi. I have save alot any of you go there?

We have a Save a Lot down the street and an Aldi 2 miles away. I shop at aldi regularly and SAL only when I've run out of something. Perhaps it's our SAL, but I don't find thier prices that great. walmart is bettee for many things and Alfi is better fir just abour everything.

Um, seriously? I can't imagine not paying attention to what you're spending. We budget, not because we have to in order to survive but because we rather enjoy being responsible adults. I make a list then jot down what items cost when I cross them off. Add it up at the end. You can even use a calculator if your mental math is rusty! ;) I'm anal about just about everything so it's probably just me but the lackadaisical attitude in this post is making me twitchy. Lol!

Lol, making me twitchy, too! And I don't write a list or know the price of everything, but I do have a good feel of what the total is of what we usuallt get and how many extras I can get without going over. If I used a credit card to buy groceries, it'd be way too easy to not put stuff back when I go a little over or to indulge in more extras than we can afford.

Well we rather enjoy being responsible adults as well, and becuase we are responsible adults we don't have to pay attention to what I'm spending at the grocery store.

I don't shop at Aldi much. I'm suspicious of the quality of some of their items, and they don't have everything I want and I don't like making two trips. Also, my husband thought about working there - and a Google search turned up several places where people were complaining about how Aldi treats their employees. Basically, it sounded like they were overworking their employees in order to cut costs, which really isn't okay. I've shopped there before and I would again - I'd rather shop there than Walmart. But it's far from my preferred place to shop.

Well we rather enjoy being responsible adults as well, and becuase we are responsible adults we don't have to pay attention to what I'm spending at the grocery store.

Wow! So, because I have watch my shopping budget, I am not a responsible adult? Just being a responsible adult does not mean you have enough money to buy what ever you want. I work, Dh works...we still have to watch what we spend - and we both have college degrees.

Wow. Just wow. Really? Before, I thought to myself "this post rubs me the wrong way, but maybe she just doesn't understand because she doesn't have to budget, etc." Now? I think there is some sort of superiority complex going on. "Responsible adult" doesn't mean that you have all the money in the world to buy whatever you want. It means that you act responsible with what you DO have, however great or small. Goodness gracious.

I assure you that plenty of responsible adults do not need to make grocery lists, nor budget how much we spend on groceries. :glare:

To assume that anyone who doesn't need to set a grocery budget is somehow irresponsible because they arent paying attention to how much they are spending seems incredibly judgmental to me. If the amount spent on groceries is a non-issue for a particular family, why should they worry about whether they spend $200 or $300 (or whatever) on a trip to the market?

Wow! So, because I have watch my shopping budget, I am not a responsible adult? Just being a responsible adult does not mean you have enough money to buy what ever you want. I work, Dh works...we still have to watch what we spend - and we both have college degrees.

Well, if you read the below post, you will see I was responding to be told I was NOT a responsible adult for not budgeting my money.

That said I don't buy what ever I want. We live below our means. We always have. We spend less than we make. Because of that I don't need to budget at the grocery store.

I'm not taking sides here, but I think this dig has gone both ways in this thread. One mentioned that they shop on a budget because that's what you do when you're a responsible adult. So then the other poster mentioned that she too is a responsible adult even if she doesn't have to budget.

I also don't have to pay attention to what I put in the cart but it's because I budget in a way that allows me to do so. I'm willing to pinch pennies in a few other areas so I can have a large enough grocery budget to not have to worry about it when I go to the store.

I assure you that plenty of responsible adults do not need to make grocery lists, nor budget how much we spend on groceries. :glare:

To assume that anyone who doesn't need to set a grocery budget is somehow irresponsible because they arent paying attention to how much they are spending seems incredibly judgmental to me.

Thank you Catwoman

I think whether or not you have a grocery budget has no reflection on whether or not you are a responsible adult.

Well, if you read the below post, you will see I was responding to be told I was NOT a responsible adult for not budgeting my money.

That is exactly the way I interpreted it, too. Maybe we were both mistaken about the intention of the post, but at least we have each other for company. ;)

The lines at the one near us are so long that I just can't deal with it. Frankly, I don't have a half hour to wait in line every time I shop. Also, the produce isn't great, and since produce is a good chunk of what we eat, it doesn't seem worth it to me. I do know they have some good deals now and then on packaged foods, but we're not much into packaged foods. And the ones we do eat have to be specific brands or no one wants them.

I wonder if different Aldi's have better produce. The concept seems ok, but the reality at the store near us doesn't do much for me.

I do not understand that sentiment either. Why should it be terrible for my diet? We eat almost no processed foods and get most of our groceries from Aldi. Two thirds of my shopping cart are usually filled with produce.

I have run into this opinion a lot from people who don't shop at Aldi or have only gone once or twice. For some reason they think it's all boxed food that's highly processed with only white flour and lots of HFCS. I really don't understand it, unless it's just that the first aisle has most of the junk food so that's the lasting impression?

ETA: However, if you shy away from most processed foods including things like cold cereal, crackers etc....then there's not as much to buy there simply because they don't have a big selection to begin with. That leaves you with baking necessities, produce and dairy. They also don't carry brown rice or whole wheat flour ( the thing I wish for the most from them!)

My master list for Aldi includes:

Milk

Cheese

Cream Cheese

Bread

Crackers (their wheat thin like crackers are great and are $1.69)

Oatmeal (42 oz for $2.19)

White Flour

Sugar

Powdered Sugar

Baking Powder

Brown Sugar

Frosted Shredded Wheat (18 oz box for $1.99)

Tuna Fish ($0.69 for 5oz can)

Fresh Salsa ($1.99 for 16oz container)

Tortilla Chips

Tortillas

Whole Wheat Pasta ($0.99 for 13.25oz)

Some of the items I know I can get for the same price or cheaper if I find a sale and good coupons, but that's a lot more work than walking in and knowing it's always the same price. I have noticed though that the prices do vary from store to store based on location.....but that's true of all chains. I have also noticed that the Aldi's in our nicer parts of town tend to be nicer and the ones in the medium to lower areas are not as nice. I agree with a lot of the previous posters about produce, it tends to be hit or miss but is worth looking at just in case. So in the end I usually shop at 3 stores every month, but it makes a huge difference in our budget and while it takes more time, it's a lot less time than a PT job would be!

I have run into this opinion a lot from people who don't shop at Aldi or have only gone once or twice. For some reason they think it's all boxed food that's highly processed with only white flour and lots of HFCS. I really don't understand it, unless it's just that the first aisle has most of the junk food so that's the lasting impression?

ETA: However, if you shy away from most processed foods including things like cold cereal, crackers etc....then there's not as much to buy there simply because they don't have a big selection to begin with. That leaves you with baking necessities, produce and dairy. They also don't carry brown rice or whole wheat flour ( the thing I wish for the most from them!)

This is me. I grind my own grain to make our bread products including things like crackers. We don't eat cold cereal. I buy oatmeal in 50 pound bags because we go through so much so those little 2 pound containers at stores make me laugh because that is just a single meal for us. And while their base price on sugar is usually (but not always) better than the grocery store base prices, the grocery stores regularly run specials on baking supplies that hands down beats Aldi's. Other baking supplies are almost always cheaper from Sam's and Costco.

While I shop at Aldi's occasionally it's not something I do regularly. 90% of their stuff falls into the processed/convenience food category (by my definition but I can all my own homegrown tomatoes and applesauce, make my own jams, only cook dry beans, make my own yogurt etc so any of those things pre-done falls into the convenience category for me) Their meats are very scary looking and their cheese is very expensive (but I live in a dairy state and Sam's club has great prices on bulk cheese). However, I will say that this year I have spent more at Aldi's than ever because they had some fabulous deals on produce this fall. I know their truck comes on Tuesdays and Fridays and so those are the days to great produce, other days are hit and miss whether the quality is there.

So I always pay attention to their ads but the reality is that I only buy produce there. You really can't beat avocados or pomegranites for 49 cents each or pineapple for 99 cents. We just recently got some beautiful grapefruit for 25 cents each.

I will say I envy the people who said they have fast check outs here. They have 5 registers and I have never seen more than 2 open. The lines easily have 10-15 people in them and 20+ minutes is pretty much the norm for check-out.

Um, seriously? I can't imagine not paying attention to what you're spending.

I was pondering that, too. Although we don't "have to" budget, I always do. I make a list before shopping and usually have a rough idea even before hitting the store how much it will cost me to purchase those items. (I check online for sales and coupons at any stores I'm planning to visit before leaving the house, so that good deals can be added to my list.) As I shop, I keep track of how much the items I'm putting in my cart will cost, just using tally marks and always rounding up. That way, I know how I'm doing and if I have room to add any goodies.

I do those things even though I use a debit card to shop. And I do them even though I could, in theory, spend more than I do on food. I do them because I want to make sure I'm being intentional with my choices.

I don't think it's necessarily true that products must have a brand name in order to be good, but many of us have favorite products from particular brands, and Aldi simply doesn't carry them.

I don't mind trying a new brand (Aldi's own brand or something else) here and there, but in order to do even some of my shopping at Aldi, I would have to buy almost all new products, because they don't sell any of the brands that I usually purchase. I don't see any reason to do that; it's inconvenient and would involve a lot of trial and error, because even if the quality is as good as the brands I usually buy, the taste is probably different. Sure, sometimes the taste may be better than my regular brand, but most of the time, I would just as soon stick with the tried-and-true, rather than having to experiment with a bunch of new products that we might not like.

Well, you and I have gone around about this before. So, I'll just say the following:

1. The savings for the things I can and do buy at Aldi are significant. Even though I "can afford" to spend more on groceries, waste of any kind makes me cranky. I see no reason to pay more for an item because of its label. That makes me feel silly. A dollar I don't spend on this cannister of oatmeal rather than that one on the basis of a label is a dollar I can spend on something that matters, like a book. So, for me, it's worth the small inconvenience of trying something different to get the savings.

2. Many, possibly most, of the items I buy regularly are things that have between one and three ingredients. There simply isn't a lot of room for flavor variance between brands. Plain, old fashioned, unflavored oatmeal is exactly the same whether the label says "Quaker Oats" or "Generic Store Brand." Long grain white rice is the same. A cannister of cashews might have a little more or less salt, but the nuts are the same. Maple syrup, if it's real maple syrup and not maple-flavored goop, is the same. Dry pinto beans are the same no matter what the bag says. The unsweetened, whole frozen strawberries I buy at Aldi might be smaller than the ones in the bags marked with a brand name, but since I'm going to toss them in the blender to make smoothies, size doesn't matter. And they taste exactly the same. Pasta is pasta. Canned tomatoes for which the ingredients list reads "Tomatoes" are the same from store to store and brand to brand.

There are some items for which brand does matter to us. Because of the vegan thing, there are certain things for which we can buy only one brand or style (one of the reasons that couponing has never been especially helpful for me). In those cases, I buy those items elsewhere, since Aldi doesn't carry them. I still find the savings I get with Aldi to be well worth a small change in my shopping routine.

Um, seriously? I can't imagine not paying attention to what you're spending.

So, you budget. A lot of people on these boards budget, too, but you know what? Outside of these boards, most people I know are not grocery shopping with lists and a budget. They're just out buying stuff to eat. Most people I know IRL don't meal plan, don't budget, don't make grocery lists, don't even have much of an idea what they'll do with much of the food they buy. They just shop and they figure it out when they get it home.

They're not irresponsible for doing it that way if it is working for them. They're just doing it differently than you. Just because they aren't doing it your way doesn't make them less than you or better than you. It just makes them different.

And that is not something worthy of scorn.

I only went to an Aldi once and it was very unclean. It must have been a poor example from what others here are describing. I mostly shop at Loblaw's which is big and box-like and has its own brands of many things. It is also relatively inexpensive, which is why I shop there. I have to drive an hour to the nearest one, though, so we don't go often. I'm always disappointed that it has soooo much processed stuff, but at least the produce they do have in the winter is pretty decent. Citrus sucks, but having grown up in FL, you can't pay me to eat citrus flown in from TX, which is mostly what they have here. It just sucks. The long trip kills it. And, it's not FL citrus. :p

Oh, and most large grocery stores here have the loonie carts (put in a loonie to get the cart, get your loonie back when you return the cart). I don't find that odd at all. It makes sense and keeps the carts in order.

And, when I shop in town, the little grocery has carts inside the store but you can't get them outside. But, that doesn't matter because they will carry your bags to your car (or help you do it) and the only parking is right outside the door, so really there is no hardship in not being able to take the carts out. No one is going to swipe your groceries if you had to make 2 trips or something. Heck, I even leave my car running when it's -20°C out. Keeps the engine warm.