Menu

Favorite Christmas movies?

Seasider

Mine are non-traditional.

1. Love, Actually (definitely adult....) Here's my favorite quote, from the beginning:

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends

, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around."

2. The Ref (also definitely for adults, but VERY funny, particularly if you have any dysfunction in your family)

The IMDB description: A cat burglar is forced to take a bickering, dysfunctional family hostage on Christmas Eve

No one mentioned Ernest Saves Christmas?? I thought this was a classical homeschooling forum.

"Airrrrr brakes!" I haven't watched it in forever, but we always quote that part.

My favorite is Muppet Family Christmas. All the Muppets, the Fraggles, and the Sesame Street characters all together, and Jim Henson washing dishes. We lost our copy years ago, and it's not produced anymore after the Muppets and CTW split apart, but I could recite the whole thing from memory.

It's A Wonderful Life--all time favorite

A Christmas Story

Home Alone

The Santa Clause 1,2,3

Christmas With the Kranks

Elf

A Walton Homecoming

A Christmas Carol--George C. Scott is my favorite version--I like them all (Disney included) but this one is my favorite

Polar Express

Christmas Vacation

Miracle on 34th Street

The Christmas Angel--just watched this one the other night on Netflix. It has Kevin Sorbo and Della Reese

Grinch 1966

Charlie Brown Christmas

Rudolph

Frosty

Christmas Vacation is the only one I would worry about being age appropriate

I don't know that I have any favorites.

So far this year, we have watched:

A Christmas Story

The Muppet's Christmas Carol

The Santa Clause

*and the kids watched part of Charlie Brown Christmas

I still hope to watch:

Charlie Brown Christmas

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

The Santa Clause 2 & 3

It's a Wonderful Life (and I'll try to stay awake for the whole thing this time. I still haven't seen the whole thing!)

Miracle on 34th Street

The Grinch

Home Alone is a year-round favorite around here. The kids love it and giggle every time they watch it.

We'll probably start watching one per night from now until Christmas.

ETA: I'm pretty lenient so all of these are "family" movies for us.

Love Actually - 13+ (DS has been watching it his whole life...or since it came out...but others may be a bit more picky)

Last Holiday - 13+ (same as above)

The Family Man - 13+ (same as above)

The Family Stone - 13+ (same as above)

A Miracle on 34th Street - whole family (the new one, not the old one)

The Preacher's Wife - whole family (the one with Whitney)

Home Alone - whole family

hmm, surprised no one mentioned "we're no angles" with humphrey bogart and peter ustinov. Three Devil's Island escapees hide out in the home of a kindly merchant and repay his kindness by helping him and his family out of several crises. very fun.

and the favorite never seen character is peter ustinov's "pet". adolph

Christmas Carol with Capt Piccard

Christmas Wish with Debbie Reynolds

Christmas Card

Christmas with Holly (this year's new favorite)

Family Man

Miracle on 34th St

The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant is cute, not exactly an all time favorite, but I really enjoy it when I do see it.

My list posted on another thread:

Black and white favorites:

A Bishop's Wife (my all-time favorite; The Preacher's Wife is the remake of this one) -- fine for the whole family

A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim -- probably not for young children

A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen -- probably not for young children

Color favorites:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (we all watch this -- kids are 9 and 8 -- but we watch it on television so I'm sure there is some editing)

A Christmas Story (we watch it on television so I'm sure there is some editing)

Home Alone (we watch it on television so I'm sure there is some editing)

The Homecoming (precursor to The Waltons)

Prancer

The Santa Clause

Animated favorites:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

A Charlie Brown Christmas

The Polar Express

I love almost all of the movies listed above, including Die Hard, lol.

They have some weird morals though. I've chatted about it before (http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2008/12/10/thoughts-on-christmas-movies/ ), but here are my thoughts in a nutshell. Rudolph is about adults teasing children resulting in the kids running away, the Polar Express encourages taking rides with strangers, Miracle on 34th Street teaches that it is okay to hit people as long as you have a good reason for being mad, and Frosty the Snowman justifies stealing.

We live in a wacky world.

A Child's Christmas in Wales

This is a beautiful rendering of Dylan Thomas's story-poem. The poetry, of course, is exquisite ("All the Christmases roll down toward the two-tongued sea, like a cold and headlong moon bundling down the sky that was our street; and they stop at the rim of the ice-edged fish-freezing waves, and I plunge my hands in the snow and bring out whatever I can find. In goes my hand into that wool-white bell-tongued ball of holidays resting at the rim of the carol-singing sea...") and the characterizations are wonderful. One has the sense of dropping in on this long-ago Welsh village as it goes about its holiday. This is an all ages movie!

Thanks for all your replies! Some mentioned are already favorites, but y'all have reminded me of some that I wouldn't have thought of as Christmas movies (Die Hard, lol, my guys will love that).

There are many titles I've never heard of and they look pretty interesting. Thanks again!

Whole Family:

ELF

Home Alone 1 and 2

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Scrooge

Muppet Christmas Carol

Nestor

A Miser Brother's Christmas

The Polar Express

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Christmas Vacation

SNL Christmas Special - probably not acceptable to most people for the whole family, but in our family we all watch it - dd loves Bag O' Glass, and thankfully the Delicious Dish scene is still over her head

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas

A Christmas Story

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Santa Claus the Movie

Santa Paws (yes, I know, most people would think I'm lame, but I love this sappy movie)

Just for me: Love, Actually and Bridget Jones' Diary