Menu

If you've gone from PC to Mac...

Parrothead

I just used open office which is free, but I can also use Page and Numbers (which I bought in the app store) to open word or excel files.

It took the kids and I about 3 days to get really comfortable and now I hate when I have to use dh's PC to find something he needs me to send when he's at work. It all seems @$$backward now.

How difficult was the change? How do I access my Word files? Can I install Microsoft Office on a Mac? What else would be pertinent to know about switching?

I use OpenOffice. It is a free download and has the same type of applications as MSOffice. OpenOffice opens Word/Excel/PowerPoint files no problem and gives you the option to save your documents in the OpenOffice extension or the MSOffice extension, so that you can send those files back to Windows users.

I have been quite happy with OpenOffice but I will add that I was using it on my Windows PC before I switched to Mac so it was something I was already used to. :)

As for difficulty in switching, I had none. I find Apple to be very intuitive for me. My dh, who thinks very differently from me, doesn't find it as intuitive, and prefers Linux or Windows. To each their own, I guess. This isn't to say he doesn't like Mac, just that he doesn't find intuitive like I do. But, he also only uses my computer once or twice per year so that could have some bearing too. Nobody touches my precious. ;)

I bought Microsoft Office for Mac when I bought my Mac so it works the same. The learning curve was not large and like those upthread I have trouble with PC's now. I got so frustrated with DH's new laptop (had to be a PC for work software purposes) that we took one back and had to swap it out because Windows 8 frustrated me so bad.

I made the switch a month ago when my trusty Dell died. My switch was an impulse and I'm reluctant to say I wish I hadn't.

Oh yes, I love the MacBook Pro itself. It's sleek design and long life battery are wonderful. In my work life, however, too many things are Internet Explorer based. For example, I went to design a postcard for a mailout for my business at Quantum Digital. Their design and upload system doesn't support Mac. Every day I find something internet based that I can't do with the Mac.

All of my files are MSOffice and can't be opened. I'm delighted to read about Open Office as I was about to spend 200 bucks to buy Office for Mac.

If all I were doing was homeschool stuff, internet surfing (researching), message boards and writing an occasional letter, the Mac would be super fine. As it is, I'm thinking of selling this one for all I can get and getting another Dell laptop.

Wanna buy a gently used MacBook Pro? :coolgleamA: It comes with an extended warranty.

How difficult was the change? How do I access my Word files? Can I install Microsoft Office on a Mac? What else would be pertinent to know about switching?

I made the change about 4 years ago, happy I did.

-- I got a book in the Missing Manual series called Switching to the Mac (Note -- there is no book on switching to the PC.)

-- Document files -- word, excel, and powerpoint -- moves seamlessly from PC to Mac via a flash drive. I have MS Office for Mac. It is similar to PC version, but does not have Access or Publisher.

-- Photos (jpg) moved via flash drive. iPhoto imported them with no problems.

-- I use the Mac programs for calendar, address book, and email. Moving these is a bit more complicated. I think I may have just started fresh, but there are directions in the above book.

-- If you use Quicken, you will have to get another program, like iBank, which imports Quicken files. Or set up a virtual drive.

-- When I first got my Mac, I set up a virtual PC on it for a few minor programs & games. Big waste of time & money, IMO. But YMMV.

Anything else pertinent? -- not really, unless you have some kind of specialized software that you use a lot. Then you would want to investigate Mac versions or substitute software.

I switched to a Macbook several years ago, and it was easy. The Macs are so much more intuitive than PCs that you become fairly proficient with the OS after a few minutes of goofing around.

I had to switch back to a PC last year when my Mac finally died, but my next laptop will be a Mac if I have to sell a kidney. PCs are so much trouble, ugh. Nothing but problems.

I switched to a Macbook several years ago, and it was easy. The Macs are so much more intuitive than PCs that you become fairly proficient with the OS after a few minutes of goofing around.

I had to switch back to a PC last year when my Mac finally died, but my next laptop will be a Mac if I have to sell a kidney. PCs are so much trouble, ugh. Nothing but problems.

Love this!!!

I just switched this month. At first I hated it. Then about 4 days later I found myself only wanting to use it and not the PC. The only trouble I had was getting my email on it, because I was using Outlook. I had tons of business related emails that I needed to keep and so I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep and access those. But, I found Thunderbird, spent some time making the transition, and now I am using that. It is going well. There are a few things that are driving me nuts, but not Macs fault, it is google actually. Like the password save keeps popping up with this message every time I go to a page, things like that. Those didn't happen on my PC but do on here. My mouse drives me nuts a little because the buttons I had on it for forward page and back page don't work on the Mac, and I am so used to those that it is hard to change. Everything else has been good, though, so far. I LOVE how quiet and cool it stays as well as being light weight.

I'm another that thinks it's extremely intuitive. You'll understand if you switch. It's just that the first thing you would think to do to get the result you want, is what they have it do.

Like just sweeping the mouse with your finger to go back a page or forward.

I made the change about 9 years ago and I'll never get a pc again. My kids and dh are still using the old mac, it' still running strong and has never crashed.

I agree with Mac being very intuitive. That's how I describe all of Apple's products. My husband got a free Windows phone and it just never made sense to me. Apple products don't seem to have a learning curve for me. It's like it's already thinking ahead of you. And no I'm not a spokesperson but probably should be. ;)

Easy switch. Google Docs will also work, but office is available for Mac, and you can run any PC only things in BootCamp if you need to, but pretty much anything on the Internet will run on a Mac. Also, if you mention homeschooling, you get an educator discount.

One gripe: no delete key, only backspace. I get truly annoyed by that at least once per day.

Oh, and Olly Homeschool Planner for Mac rocks!

Mac household all the way, as is my own dad who worked all his life for IBM!

I have office, and word is word. It's not a great program but it's what everyone uses. Somebody quick, raise up a brilliant homeschooler to revolutionize word processing software.

It's the best for visual design, for ease of use, for reliability and service, and for intuitive commands.

We have only Mac at home now - we use Microsoft Office for Mac. You may be able to get an educational discount if you decide to purchase it.

FWIW, I use a Microsoft computer at work and switch back and forth with no problems at all. Brains are pretty good at working from context.

Laura

I made the switch about a year ago. It took me a few days to get used to scrolling but now when I try to use the PC for the kids, I find myself getting frustrated because I can't just scroll around like I do with the MAC. You can access your Word files using Pages and you can turn Pages documents into Word files themselves (I have to do this for files for work because they have PCs at work and need them in Word to read them.)

I will never go back to a PC again.

Easy switch. Google Docs will also work, but office is available for Mac, and you can run any PC only things in BootCamp if you need to, but pretty much anything on the Internet will run on a Mac. Also, if you mention homeschooling, you get an educator discount. One gripe: no delete key, only backspace. I get truly annoyed by that at least once per day. Oh, and Olly Homeschool Planner for Mac rocks!

Oh, I forgot about homeschool software. I'm going to have to look into that before I make up my mind.

Thanks, everyone for the input. I do really appreciate it. More than likely I'd just buy Office for Mac.

Oh, I forgot about homeschool software. I'm going to have to look into that before I make up my mind.

Thanks, everyone for the input. I do really appreciate it. More than likely I'd just buy Office for Mac.

I use HST+ (I tried HST online but didn't like it as much) so I bought parallels and windows. That way my mac can work like a PC when I need it to for those few things. Just today I realized I had made a bunch of files with Publisher that I couldn't open, but only because I didn't install publisher to my windows side. There is a mac planner that many love called OLLY, but I was so used to HST+ I didn't want to learn a new system and switch all my old stuff over. I also prefer Quicken for my personal finance and didn't like Quicken for Mac. The only regret I have about the parallells/windows thing is I bought windows 8 instead of windows 7, and I hate windows 8.

Echoing others when I say I love my Mac! I'm the chair of my system's strategic planning committee and I was able to write the strategic plan using Open Office (including graphics, charts, etc), have others on the committee write their portions, edit, and publish all on my Mac. I love my Mac!

I am in charge of some homeschool stuff and thought I would just use Open Office.....NOPE, doesn't work with the program I need to download and print for our members. Then I thought I would just use Pages......I have had some major issues with that too.

I finally broke down and got Microsoft Office for Mac. I like it much better than Open Office or Pages. I do use Pages for general documents I create, but there are some things I can't open with it.

I still prefer Mac over PC, but the word programs leave something to be desired.

I switched about 2 months ago and while it was weird at first, I ♥ it so much now. It soooooo much faster than my PC ever even thought about being. You topen the lid, type in your password (or not, you can turn that off, I think) and poof! you're good to go. If you turn it off and then turn it back on later, it takes about 2 minutes to come up and it's just ready. Indy has a PC that he uses for school and when I have to do something on it, it just feels weird. And good grief is it slow! If I shut it down and then turn it back on it rakes forever to come up. I get so impatient with the PC!

I bought Office for Mac when I bought the macbook and it's been a seamless transition as far as that goes. I still find things I didn't know I could do and get crazy excited. The only thing I don't like is the Safari browser because you can't put Yahoo or Google toolbars on it. I simply downloaded Firefox though and use that.

Keep in mind that some college programs are not encouraging Mac use. I teach a community college class that requires incompatible software (it says that in the registration blurb), and the techie 4-year school we feed into says not to bring one at all because of network and software incompatibilities.

If it was just me, I probably would make the jump, but not at this point. I juggle multiple part-time teaching gigs, and most of them discourage it because of the incompatibilities.

Keep in mind that some college programs are not encouraging Mac use. I teach a community college class that requires incompatible software (it says that in the registration blurb), and the techie 4-year school we feed into says not to bring one at all because of network and software incompatibilities.

If it was just me, I probably would make the jump, but not at this point. I juggle multiple part-time teaching gigs, and most of them discourage it because of the incompatibilities.

Thanks. As much as I want to I'm not heading back to college right now. I have a house to build first so I suppose I'll be okay there.

We bought a mac last spring and I have been unable to switch. To be honest, I haven't tried too hard. My kids and DH almost always use the MAC though, so the PC has become more "mine". They have adapted just fine and love the mac monitor and some of the features. Every once in a while an issue would pop up, primarily about where files were saved. I am not sure what we will do when this pc finally dies....I may be forced to learn how to use a mac because DH is now a convert.

DH bough a macbook a few months ago and he loves how quickly it boots up. His laptop is now stored in the closet, collecting dust.

I made the switch from PC to Mac about 10 years ago. I didn't have any problems at all making the switch. My three girls all have macbooks, I have one too, and my old iMac is still going strong.

We use Pages and NeoOffice. I've never had a problem opening documents.

My DH is the only holdout, he still uses a Toshiba laptop.

I switched a few years ago and while I still appreciate a PC, the hardware that Apple makes is top rate. We got iWork for our two Mac laptops and that works fine. I do miss having Avery label templates that MS Word has, but I just use dh's desktop the once a year I actually need to do that.

We looked into buying the MS Office for Mac package and it didn't seem worth the $300 price tag. iWork does 99.9% of everything we need.

Homeschool software can be problematic, especially as new Mac will be running the newest Mac operating system (Mountain Lion). I wasn't able to get my version of StartWrite to work, but I haven't pursued it (yet).

There are several ways of running PC software on a Mac. BTW, any software that is pdfs (like Homeschool in the Woods) works fine on a MAc.