Menu

What are you getting your pets for Christmas this year?

Hoot

Aidan is getting a few toys that have squeakers in them, tennis balls, pig ears, various treats, bully sticks, a Himalayan chew, a green hoodie, and a couple of t-shirts. If I can find one, I'm going to buy him a winter hat -- I have a feeling I'll have to make one for him, though. It shouldn't be too difficult because he is a drop-eared dog. Everything will be wrapped in as many packages as possible because he loves to open presents. He is a very happy and excited dog on Christmas morning.

I bought a fleece remnant at Joanne's last week so I can make him a hoodie. It was only $7, but it was marked down from $28 for 1.25 yards of fleece! It's been a long time since I've bought fabric, and I could not believe fleece costs $22 a yard.

Aidan likes wearing clothes in the winter. He brings me his coat when it is cold outside, and he doesn't do the bootie dance when I put on his snow boots. Maybe he's resigned to his fate, but that isn't is normal personality, so I don't think so.

DD just got a new mattress set, so I am going to make Aidan a dog bed out of part of her former memory foam mattress topper. He might get that for his birthday instead (Jan. 16), depending on whether I have time to make removable cases for it (one waterproof or resistant (re-purposed fabric shower curtain liner), plus a couple of washable covers).

Cats

DH is building them a couple of different scratching posts using some large tree limbs that we cut down last week. He may also build another one from PVC, though I'm not sure that one will happen before Christmas.

They'll get Greenies in their stockings.

Probably a couple of new toys and a laser pointer since we can't seem to find theirs.

They'll get raw meat bones to chew on.

Rats

I've already bought them each a fleece sleeping cube and corner hammock in a candy cane print for their cage.

They'll each get a stocking with homemade treats, nuts in the shell, popcorn, raffia, sea grass chewing sticks etc.

I'll buy several yards of Christmas-y fleece to cut into blankets for the bottoms of their cages.

I can't decide what toy(s) to get each of them though.

I'm thinking of making a few enrichment toys from Ratty Rat

There are several things I NEED to buy for Aster since I've had to permanently separate her from Rosie, but those won't be for Christmas.

Rabbit

She'll get a stocking with homemade treats, raffia, sea grass chewing sticks etc.

I've already bought a special seed-mix to grow an indoor grass garden for her to nibble on in the winter since she won't get to go outside as much.

She'll also get a Christmas-y fleece blanket.

Beyond that, I have NO idea what else I'm getting her. Honestly, I want to get her spayed but I'm not sure that will happen for Christmas. :glare:

Bearded Dragon

He'll get a variety of worms, a flat of wheatgrass and a new UV bulb in his enclosure.

He's old and doesn't really do much so there's not a lot in the way of "stuff" for him.

If the turtle comes back, he'll get a flat of wheatgrass, thawed pinky mice, a variety of worms, and a new piece of driftwood.

I tend to agree. They do generally each get a piece of the turkey neck.

Absolutely. I shredded the meat from the turkey backs I'd used for stock this week for the cats and dog. That's just efficient use of resources. :p

We're getting our dog a squeaky toy, but haven't decided on a specific one yet. Last year, we got her a toy that you stick an empty water bottle in (so it crunches when they bite down) and she *loved* it. I'm not sure how to top that. :tongue_smilie:

The cats will each get a can of sardines. They love those!!

I need to look up the recipe for the pumpkin dog biscuits Chris mentioned. Our Sheltie *hearts* pumpkin.

We're getting our dog a squeaky toy, but haven't decided on a specific one yet. Last year, we got her a toy that you stick an empty water bottle in (so it crunches when they bite down) and she *loved* it. I'm not sure how to top that. :tongue_smilie:

They had some of these on sale for Black Friday at Petsmart today. I think they were $1.99-3.99 depending upon the size. My son was fascinated with them. I think I may put one in his stocking! ;-)

My boys love the family dog beyond belief and every holiday they beg me to buy her a Halloween costume, or Easter basket, or birthday cake...I agree to help Santa fill her stocking with dog bones and we pick up a juicy bone from the butcher for Thanksgiving as well, but I say no to the others. I agree with the pp who said he lets get treated well all year round! But it makes the kids really happy to think of her during the holidays, and I'm grateful for that. They have big hearts :)

I agree with the pp who said he lets get treated well all year round! But it makes the kids really happy to think of her during the holidays, and I'm grateful for that. They have big hearts :)

My guys are well treated all year, but like with humans, I like to have a good reason to spoil them, too. :)

I get bones or bully chews for the dogs on every holiday. Not because I want to buy them a gift, but because I know they won't get the attention they should at those times and it keeps them out of trouble to have a distraction like a new chew. Sometimes I'll get a new bed then too and the dogs go all silly over the new bed smell.

Sometimes I use it as an opportunity to get the cat a little nip filled toy or a special treat, but in an effort to be less hateful toward him (he'd just peed and pooped everywhere for weeks) I got him a $3 nip filled mouse a couple weeks ago and he was thrilled. But it's still somewhere so he doesn't need a new toy.

For ages, my sil would get our cat a Christmas gift and I thought that was a bit odd.

I just give my dogs the water bottles (not stuffed in a toy). I remove labels first. They love them "plain." LOL.

We tried this with our dog, but she loves to 'kill' her toys (violent shaking) and she needed something to 'grab'. I kid you not, that pig is her favorite toy!

Last year I got Kitty a can of sardines. It stunk up the house though. So I'm not sure I'll get that for her again.

Maybe try a different brand? The ones we got at Target haven't smelled at all.

For ages, my sil would get our cat a Christmas gift and I thought that was a bit odd.

Did she have a cat of her own? For a couple of years, my parents would buy our cats new catnip toys. Those always need replacing, and they missed having pets of their own.

I get bones or bully chews for the dogs on every holiday. Not because I want to buy them a gift, but because I know they won't get the attention they should at those times and it keeps them out of trouble to have a distraction like a new chew. Sometimes I'll get a new bed then too and the dogs go all silly over the new bed smell.

Somehow this wasn't included in my original post.

Anyway~~

We feel the same way. The first year we had the dog, we didn't get her anything. She honestly seemed perplexed as to why we all opened something that had been under the tree and she had nothing! She honestly looked like she felt left out! So, instead of getting a new toy or expensive(ish) treats during the year, we started getting her something at Christmas. We give her her toy or special treat all wrapped up and she rips the paper off. It's strange... as if she knows what is going on!

The cats have no clue what's going on and just want to lay in the paper shreds as we open things. Their sardines are for their Christmas dinner and don't actually get put under the tree. :001_smile:

we don't get our cats anything for Christmas but we do let them play with the wrapping paper, bows, etc. They seem to love that. We do buy for them thruout the year, they have cat beds, water fountain, . One year my nephew made us (or I guess actually for the cats) a 6 story floor to ceiling cat condo . He gave it to them for Christmas so I guess no way to top that so that will count as their forever Christmas present lol

we don't get our cats anything for Christmas but we do let them play with the wrapping paper, bows, etc. They seem to love that. We do buy for them thruout the year, they have cat beds, water fountain, . One year my nephew made us (or I guess actually for the cats) a 6 story floor to ceiling cat condo . He gave it to them for Christmas so I guess no way to top that so that will count as their forever Christmas present lol

Our GSD will be in heaven Christmas day with all the cardboard boxes to rip up. Our husky girl is getting a nice new fluffy dog bed, but I'm giving it to her early. I'll probably give her a chew hoof as she does not share Jake's affection for cardboard.

When we have our dinner later, I will give them each a half of a sweet potato. They love that.

Sometimes I use it as an opportunity to get the cat a little nip filled toy or a special treat, but in an effort to be less hateful toward him (he'd just peed and pooped everywhere for weeks) I got him a $3 nip filled mouse a couple weeks ago and he was thrilled. But it's still somewhere so he doesn't need a new toy.

Did you not have children yet? Maybe she was hinting. That is odd hinting though. :bored: